• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Yeah, I see it similarly to Captain Olimar as well, as in, the real star of Pikmin are the Pikmin and not Captain Olimar. Not that I'd want the dog to play anywhere near the same as Captain Olimar, but I would like him to use ducks extensively, even if they appeared and disappeared as he'd use them (or fly off instead of disappear, whatever). I figure the dog is cartoony enough where that sort of thing is acceptable, and I mean cartoony, like western animation Looney Tunes style cartoony. We don't really have a character like that so far.
That's actually the type of characterization I'd like to see. Have the dog and ducks have a cartoon-like relationship like other animated rivalries, such as Tom & Jerry and Popeye & Bluto. While they're enemies in their original source material, they're more like actors who get along in other contexts. I like to imagine the dog using ducks in his moveset as "hapless victims" that he exploits as weapons and tools, but the ducks are really just playing along and are "in" on the role they're supposed to have; they'd actually be willingly helping the dog fight.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Oh yes, the ducks should be just as expressive and as full of character as the dog himself, and that would even go over better in terms of cartoon violence too. Don't want those ducks to look too innocent as they're getting whacked around and beaten up... Then again, the Pikmin already get that sort of treatment, so I guess it's not necessary. Would be a nice touch though.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
What if DHD ends up being an Olimar clone?
With Olimar's new Up B attack, they could easily replace that with ducks carrying the Dog... Not that I'd want him to be a clone, but it would be easier to clone him this time around than it would have been in Brawl. His plucking animation could even be him picking up a duck from behind a tuft of grass that appears in front of him. Heh...

Nah, I'd rather not.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Unlike Olimar, perhaps the dog should only have two or three ducks that can't be replaced. If they're KO'd, then he'll have to fight without them for the rest of his stock, wait for them to revive, or revive them manually.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Oh God... please no... I don't want Duck Hunt Dog to be a clone of Olimar. I don't want the detractors to have the satisfaction to say "see? I was right. Duck Hunt Dog doesn't have anything unique. That's why he's a clone of Olimar".

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Being a clone of Olimar is no easy feat, hardly anybody could fill those shoes... The dog comes close, which is impressive, but I don't think he comes close enough. To take full advantage of Duck Hunt, he'd have to have a unique moveset.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The other day, someone said that Duck Hunt Dog could work as a Snake clone. Snake!

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Since Snake likely won't be coming back, I wouldn't mind if some of his abilities went to the dog (like how his Final Smash bascially went to ZSS). His Up B in particular would work great for a Duck carrying him upwards... Then again, that could be exactly what Olimar's new Up B is like.

Gooper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
Gotta say I never thought of this before seeing this thread but this is absolutely awesome. Now in my top 5!!

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Glad to see you on board! In my mind there is no better retro character than the dog. He's internationally known, extremely memorable, and represents a franchise and piece of Nintendo hardware that's very important to Nintendo's history (not unlike Mr. G&W and R.O.B. in past Smash Bros. games). I'd say this dog is qualified for the position.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I've often thought of DHD as an Olimar clone, particularly after the Winged Pikmin ordeal.
I would never wish a clone-hood on anyone, but I want this dogE into the game however it happens.
I would much rather a fourth wall zapping mechanic be implemented, absolutely. WHAT ORIGINALITY

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
An Olimar clone that can only have two ducks at a time instead of three Pikmin would make more sense given that only two were able to be on the screen of Duck Hunt at a time. But what would make DHD more interesting is that he could use both ducks at once for attacks/moves. Up B with two ducks, flies faster and farther instead of slower in Olimar's case, two ducks when using aerial attacks, he'll smack with a duck in each arm, etc etc for his other duck-based attacks.

A Wolf-like level of clonage could be okay with me, maybe a bit more unique. It'd be a shame if the clay discs and zapper didn't make it in.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Anyone notice that Palutena's special moves seem to be copying off other characters' special moves? Well... one of Palutena's neutral specials involves aiming with crosshairs and shooting opponents. Maybe I'm just looking too deep...

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I do notice! I think that makes Isaac a shoe-in.
DHD not as much, but stronger possibility.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
There never was a crosshair in duckhunt though. Not that it wouldn't make sense to add one.

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
Awesome idea. The more I think about it, the more I like it. Very cool concept for such a retro video game character. Add me as a supporter :D

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, another week has gone by and Duck Hunt Dog is still not confirmed or, better yet, not deconfirmed. We now have 4 weeks left... that's 20 Pics of the Day. We will see how long the Ninka Kiwi leak holds out within the next month.

It's interesting how one of Mega Man's Up+B moves has him hanging onto Beat as they fly away together. This is exactly how I had envisioned Duck Hunt Dog's Up+B move to be like.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Well, another week has gone by and Duck Hunt Dog is still not confirmed or, better yet, not deconfirmed. We now have 4 weeks left... that's 20 Pics of the Day. We will see how long the Ninka Kiwi leak holds out within the next month.
Never considered it that way.
No wonder I am getting restless for things like that which we saw today.
With a countdown of 20 left, they really could afford to make them all intriguing...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
DHD is probably not going to act like Mega Man's Beat, I expect it to be done in a more cartoonish manner while his recovery is most likely half of Beats.
Maybe his Up+B moves could be like these:

1) fly with one duck
2) fly with two ducks
3) shooting the dog to make him jump Gumshoe style

D

Deleted member

Duck Hunt Dog should be Waluigi's dog.
Anyone savvy enough will get why.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
The newcomers? Nobody knows. Bowser Jr, Doc, and Jigglypuff seem to be renders of stock art, except with noticeable differences.

Ganondorf is apparently Twilight Princess art, except rotated in a way that would be super hard to do via photoshop.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
OMG
Guess we do have a retro, and its the Duck Hunt Dog.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I honestly have no idea what to believe right now.
Because those would be some very good fakes.

Blakexd9

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blakexd9
3DS FC
3566-1543-3794
I really wouldn't mind him as a newcomer! He would be one of the more unique characters.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Ahhh

When did this happen

Why am I not near a computer

Why must I be living life

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Looks legit, but what about the Mii space bar

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
As much as I want to believe... Seeing Bowser Jr. and Dr. Mario there really makes me want to say super fake.

Top Bottom