• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Wouln't it be awesome if somehow Duck Hunt Dog represented a bit of every Zapper game from the NES?
Hoogan's Alley, Gumshoe, Clay Shooter, Duck Hunt. And the barrel busting game which I forgot about that appears in Warioware Touched.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Wouln't it be awesome if somehow Duck Hunt Dog represented a bit of every Zapper game from the NES?
Hoogan's Alley, Gumshoe, Clay Shooter, Duck Hunt. And the barrel busting game which I forgot about that appears in Warioware Touched.
That is something I could see Sakurai doing.

He often pays homage to various series/games in characters movesets and DHD would be the perfect character to represent the Zapper accessory.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
I would really like the EXACT same DHD from Super Smash Crusade. I absolutely love that moveset/taunts/final smash and everything.

Only dreams now..

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
By the way, I think that if DHD is playable in Smash, it will likely get a redesign, like Ice Climbers and Pit got.
Wouldn't it be cool if Duck Hunt Dog's alts are different hunting dog breeds?

D

Deleted member

There's something I gotta ask.
If "Duck Hunt Dog" is the name that's being used, would he be ダックハント・ドッグ or ダックハント・犬 in Japanese?
EDIT: Or Duck Hunt ドッグ / 犬 like how Wii Fit Trainer is Wii Fit トレーナー despite Wii Fit being Wii フィット ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
There's something I gotta ask.
If "Duck Hunt Dog" is the name that's being used, would he be ダックハント・ドッグ or ダックハント・犬 in Japanese?
EDIT: Or Duck Hunt ドッグ / 犬 like how Wii Fit Trainer is Wii Fit トレーナー despite Wii Fit being Wii フィット ?
Ummm... good question...

What about 猟犬 ? I know nothing about the Japanese language... but I used Google Translate and I typed in "hunting dog" and that's what came out. It translates back to "hound" which I thought was appropriate because Duck Hunt Dog is a hound.

Back to your Japanese names, I like ダックハント・犬 better than ダックハント・ドッグ because 犬 is only one symbol that means "dog" and ドッグ is three symbols that mean "dog" when they are together in that specific order. It looks aesthetically cleaner...

BUT... the one with the three symbols seem to make sense when I shifted those symbols around or even deleted one symbol, they mean something different but they seem to suit Duck Hunt Dog's personality.

ドッグ = dog
ッグ = tsu folly (well, he's foolish to mock the person who's pointing the gun at him)
グッ = jerk (he's always laughing at our failures)
ッド = head (umm... he rears his trollface out of the grass? :troll:)
グッド = good (I guess he's a good dog for fetching our ducks?)

D

Deleted member

That shouldn't be right.
That's katakana, which is used for foreign words.

ドッグ is "doggu" which is literally "dog".
犬 is kanji for the word いぬ which is hiragana for "inu" which translates to "dog".

For example, every playable character uses katakana for their names except Villager. Villager uses hiragana.
This is because Villager isn't his name, but rather what he is.
"Murabito" (むらびと) translates to "Villager", "Village Person", etc.
In katakana, he'd be ヴィレッジャー "Virejjaa".

Last edited by a moderator:

Reila

Speaking of names, I really doubt they will call the character "Duck Hunt Dog" if it is playable. What are your guesses? If ducks are a big part of DHD's moveset, it would be interesting to call the character "Ducks & Dog" or "Dog & Ducks". Otherwise, "Laughing Dog" would be my pick. How about "That one dog who annoyed you as a kid"?

Sagashi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sagashi
Probably call him by his actual name. Then again, i don't know how many people would recognize him as Mr. Peepers

Reila

Probably call him by his actual name. Then again, i don't know how many people would recognize him as Mr. Peepers
I have never seen an official source mentioning Mr. Peepers as its actual name. Care to provide one?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Mr. Peepers is not real. Duck Hunt Dog has no name... that's why we call him "Duck Hunt Dog" to make it easier for people to know who we are talking about.

It is like with Wii Fit Trainers... they have no names so they are called "Wii Fit Trainers". "Wii Fit" is the brand name that people will recognize... I believe the same is true with "Duck Hunt".

And @GoldenYuiitusin I could not tell the difference between kanji, katakana, and hiragana. I honestly thought they were all written in the same style.

Okay... let's see if I got this straight... all the characters are named in katakana... but only Villager is named in hiragana...

Hmmm... if Wii Fit Trainer is named in katakana... then maybe Duck Hunt Dog could be named in katakana too? Maybe "Duck Hunt (Japanese word for dog)"

If Villager is named in hiragana because he is a villager... that's what he is... but if Duck Hunt Dog is named in hiragana, then wouldn't he be called "hunting dog" instead because that's what he is?

D

Deleted member

And @GoldenYuiitusin I could not tell the difference between kanji, katakana, and hiragana. I honestly thought they were all written in the same style.

Okay... let's see if I got this straight... all the characters are named in katakana... but only Villager is named in hiragana...

Hmmm... if Wii Fit Trainer is named in katakana... then maybe Duck Hunt Dog could be named in katakana too? Maybe "Duck Hunt (Japanese word for dog)"

If Villager is named in hiragana because he is a villager... that's what he is... but if Duck Hunt Dog is named in hiragana, then wouldn't he be called "hunting dog" instead because that's what he is?
Wii Fit is in English most likely because it's a brand name. I figure if "Duck Hunt Dog" is the way to go, then Duck Hunt would be in English as well.
As for "Trainer", it's in katakana. トレーナー "toreinaa" which is literally "Trainer". If "Dog" was in katakana, it would be ドッグ "doggu".
Though, since "Laughing Dog" is apparently what he's sometimes referred to, it could be ラッフィングドッグ

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Count me as a supporter, this little guy never got any true recognition in Smash despite being from a famous retro game! I definitely want this guy in!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This is what I want to see in Smash! Duck Hunt Dog smacking people with ducks and throwing ducks at them and ducks pecking at people.

Though I wouldn't mind Wreck-It Ralph either but that's for another thread. :awesome:

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
You wanna know what would b a perfect move set for him?
Hehe, I'm not going to make a full-fledged MYM person moveset.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, The original NES Duck Hunt and the Wii Play mini-game Shooting Range. For starters, The Dog(e) 's move set would have to contain Ducks in some way. Whether it be the common conception of having ducks carry him to heaven, or tossing ducks because why the f*** not! He'd also have to throw discs as in the original, but I would not have included Shooting Range if we were not going to include it in some way. A target shield of a player, and if that player attacks they gain some percentage, and if someone else hits they lose some? Why not. Tossing cans that act like Mr. Saturn? Of course! Summoning UFOs to act like the Galaga bugs! YUS!
Oh, and more ducks.
And Ducks.
And the NES Zapper in some way.
And Ducks.
AND DUCKS!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
He often pays homage to various series/games in characters movesets and DHD would be the perfect character to represent the Zapper accessory.
I

This; mostly because, while he Fit Trainer could be considered the rep we get of this variety, the retro aspect of them is part of the charm. Though perhaps Pacman still does such with the actual console arcade.

I would want DHD to represent the zapper simply because I actually am very fond of the moveset in the OP. Sure, predicting moveset is nearly impossible- I'd be happy with any (though the Banjo Kazooie dog that the Ninja whatso leak describes seems strange to me), but I would want the dog to play truly to his character, and rep the zapper. Yet Sakurai does this very, very well, it is why I love smash, so why fret?

In fact I finally have my Wii U down here today, so I think I will go play smash now.

Yams

Smash Journeyman
Another retro bites the dust (sorry to all Sable supporters), and we're another step closer to playable Duck Hunt Dog :troll:

I just hope he's not disconfirmed soon...

smashkirby

Smash Hero
You know, this can also be good news for DHD. Think about it, Takamaru and Prince Sable are ATs, right? Well, think about it, when has DHD EVER been represented in the Smash games? I'm not saying I don't want him playable, I'm simply saying that this opens new doors for DHD since Taka and Sable were retros from one game only, and in DHD's case, it can give him more exposure in games outside of Duck Hunt. Heck, even the ducks themselves get more recognition than him, so a role like an AT would be of use to him.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Another retro bites the dust (sorry to all Sable supporters), and we're another step closer to playable Duck Hunt Dog :troll:

I just hope he's not disconfirmed soon...
LOL dust... I see what you did there. :awesome:

Duck Hunt Dog is totally lining the retro characters like ducks in a row. :troll:

Seriously though, I am worried about this... Sakurai didn't deconfirm any retro characters except for Balloon Fighter from June 11, 2013 to July 27, 2014... and it looks like Sakurai is now deconfirming retro characters as we are approaching the Japanese release date. I really hope Duck Hunt Dog isn't deconfirmed... :scared:

Yams

Smash Journeyman
You know, this can also be good news for DHD. Think about it, Takamaru and Prince Sable are ATs, right? Well, think about it, when has DHD EVER been represented in the Smash games? I'm not saying I don't want him playable, I'm simply saying that this opens new doors for DHD since Taka and Sable were retros from one game only, and in DHD's case, it can give him more exposure in games outside of Duck Hunt. Heck, even the ducks themselves get more recognition than him, so a role like an AT would be of use to him.
I just think he'll definitely have some role in the game because if Sakurai is giving the rather obscure Prince Sable an AT, I'd say a DHD reference is all but guaranteed (hopefully playable character...)

Duck Hunt Dog is totally lining the retro characters like ducks in a row. :troll:

Seriously though, I am worried about this... Sakurai didn't deconfirm any retro characters except for Balloon Fighter from June 11, 2013 to July 27, 2014... and it looks like Sakurai is now deconfirming retro characters as we are approaching the Japanese release date. I really hope Duck Hunt Dog isn't deconfirmed... :scared:
I hope so too... but bias aside, I would say DHD is the leading pick for a retro rep after we've had most of the big dogs disconfiremd.

Reila

While Sakurai didn't disconfirm her, I think it is safe to assume Lip isn't the retro rep. So Takamaru, Sablé Prince and Lip are out of competition.

Though there are still what, ten or so viable options for a retro rep... Like:

- Mach Rider
- Bubbles
- Urban Champion
- Excitebiker (though a disconfirmation wouldn't be a big deal since Excitebikers were Assists in Brawl)
- Muddy Mole
- Donbe & Hikari
- Diskun
- Sukapon
- Mike Jones
- Sheriff
- That Goku dude maybe

Heck, at this point, they could even consider GBA-era character as retro and pick one of them as a the retro rep.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I wouldn't hold my breath for Balloon Fighter, Urban Champion, Excitebiker, Bubbles, and Sukapon...

Reila

Honestly? I wouldn't hold my breath for neither of the characters listed above... or heck, even Duck Hunt Dog, if not by the infamous Ninka_kiwi leak. Doesn't mean I don't want some of them in Smash. Duck Hunt Dog (obviously, otherwise I wouldn't be posting here), Hikari and/or Donbe (I think Hikari would be more likely, since she appears on Captain Rainbow) would be interesting too. Lastly, the Goku kid could be interesting too and it would be hilarious to have a character named Goku in Smash, who isn't Dragon Ball's Goku.

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I finally made an account here (known as Mattdog1000000 in other places), I'm the creator of these images.

and this from miiverse (I colored it on my PC)

So as you can see, I've been a HUGE Duck Hunt dog supporter for a very long time, and after this morning's announcement of Prince Sable and last week's announcement of Takamaru, I'm feeling those retro character vibes coming, and I'm crossing my fingers extremely tight for this dog to make an appearance. Of course, playable is best, but I'll take anything at this point, I just want to see this guy!!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Oh! Just imagine that! I really wish this would come true!

D

Deleted member

At this point, I see only five remaining candidates for the token "retro" slot (despite the entire concept honestly being fanwank).
-Mach Rider
-Duck Hunt Dog
-Fighter Hayabusa/Star Man (preferably the latter)
-Muddy Mole
-Goku (in trolling response to all the requests for DBZ's Goku)

Or at least, that's the only five off the top of my head.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
My opinion is that we will either next week get another retro AT disconfirmation character, and the following week get a reveal, or just next week get a straight reveal.

My hope would be a Donbe and Hikari disconfirmation and a dual reveal of DHD and Lip.
I would not bet on this thoug.

I'm thoroughly NOT convinced that Balloon Fighter is disconfirmed; Lucina being shown only leads me to believe further that Balloon Fighter could have been a clone, or just utilized the same Up B of Villager.
I stress it is unlikely, I just don't think it would be impossible.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
That is something I could see Sakurai doing.

The only problem I see with the Zapper accessory being used is how it's portrayed differently in the western markets than it was in Japan. However, perhaps they could cycle through its different appearances each time he pulls it out, maybe even the Wii Zapper could be one of them, for fun (but... eeh, even with that, the Japanese Zapper may just look a little too much like a real gun).

Last edited:

Reila

With Takamaru and Sablé Prince disconfirmed, there is really only Duck Hunt Dog and Hikari/Gonbe who would be interesting retro reps imo. Or Lip, which would be THE best retro rep, but I count her as disconfirmed as well. Goku would be funny because of the requests for Dragon Ball's Goku, but his character design is so bad. So yeah. If none of those can be the retro rep, I would rather get some "forgotten" Nintendo character instead, like Isa Jo or Kachi or an Advance Wars rep.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Or you could all quit being stubborn and concede that we have three retro newcomers, in Little Mac, Pac-Man and Megaman. :D

Top Bottom