• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Daitoryo for Smash 4 Thread. Goko; opponent wins game 4. (Disconfirmed)

Should the character be called "Napoleon" or "President" for the sake of this thread?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
So is this going to be full on moveset with everything including play style?
That was actually worked on awhile ago, I just never posted the thing into the OP. Here it is, though:

Entrance Animation: General outline of character appears first, followed by the outline of the details, ending with Daitoryo being painted in. (Referencing the fact that all hanafuda cards were originally handcrafted by painting onto mulberry tree bark) OR A hanafuda card box drops from the sky and opens to release Daitoryo.​
Properties: Height is roughly between Charizard’s and Samus’ heights. About as wide as Snake or Link at the widest point. Is somewhat lighter than would be expected, but not extremely so. Play style involves keeping the opponent at a distance with Daitoryo’s long-reaching moves.​
Neutral Physical: Hits with pine branch for small damage. Only an AA combo, rather than an AAA combo. Does approximately 4% damage for the first hit and 6% for the second. Based off of basic pine cards from the December suit, only a double combo because there are only two commons in said suit)​
Side Physical: Kicks the ground and sends a flurry of maple leaves forward. Has good range and may trip opponent. Does only 1% damage per leaf, but there are several leaves. Not the best knockback. (based off of the October Maple leaf commons)​
Up Physical: Daitoryo waves some bush clover branches in a sweeping motion over his head (from front to back). Decent, but not amazing knockback that can be used for combos. Does about 9% damage. (based off of the July bush clover commons)​
Down Physical: Causes a small peony bush to sprout directly in front of Daitoryo (butterflies fly out from it as well, but don’t do damage or interact with the opponent). Sends opponents almost directly upwards. Does approximately 11% damage and good knockback, but is predictable and has some frame lag. (based off of the June peony commons)​
Dash Attack: Pulls out a chrysanthemum bouquet and swings it as he dashes (based off of the September chrysanthemums)​
Up Smash: Thrusts an umbrella into the air and opens it (as it opens, a frog comes out for purely for humor’s sake). Does good damage and knockback, but has some beginning lag. (based off of Rain Man’s umbrella and frog)​
Side Smash: Swings a fairly bulky paulownia branch forward at the opponent. Heavy damage and knockback. (based off of the January paulownias)​
Down Smash: Makes tall susuki grass sprout from the ground on one side of him and a small willow tree on the other. The grass sends opponents diagonally up and away from Daitoryo, while the willow simply hits them upwards. (based off of the susuki grass and willow common cards)​
Neutral Aerial: Daitoryo spins around (somewhat like Zelda) in the air and irises fly out of his sleeves. Poor knockback and decent damage, but good range. (based off of the May irises)​
Forward Aerial: Swings a large plain ribbon in front of him in an arch shape. It can hit easily, but is not very powerful. (based off of the ribbon cards)​
Back Aerial: Snaps a large plain ribbon behind him like a whip. Hits very hard and with good range, but is extremely difficult to sweetspot. (based off of the ribbon cards)​
Up Aerial: Butterflies fly out from out of Daitoryo’s sleeves and go straight upwards. They are hard to sweetspot, but they provide a decent killing move. Does only 3% damage and minimal knockback when not sweetspotted, but will do good damage with great knockback when they do.​
Down Aerial: Hits whatever is in front of him with a plank from an eight plank bridge. Has spiking properties. (based on the May “animal” card)​
Neutral Special: Throws poetry sake cup at the opponent. Does surprisingly high damage, but is very small and difficult to hit opponents with. (based off of the September poetry sake cup “animal” wildcard)​
Side Special: Summons a boar, deer, and butterflies that run quickly as a herd across the stage until they disappears. High damage and knockback, but easily avoided, as they will only run straight. (based off of the July, October, and June animal cards and the Ino-Shika-Cho group.)​
Up Special: Summons multiple types of birds that fly sporadically upwards and grabs onto a crane that lifts Daitoryo about as efficiently as Pit’s up special. Damage done to opponents depends on the birds that hit them. (based off of the various animal cards for January, February, April, August, and November.)​
Down Special: Holds up the jinmaku (camp curtain) to absorb enemy projectiles. Does not deflect or heal the user. (based off of the March “bright” card)​
Grab: Wisteria vines shoot out from Daitoryo's sleeves and ensnare the opponent. (based off of the wisteria cards)​
Hit: The vines crush the opponent​
Forward throw: Daitoryo throws the opponent with the vines and whips them quickly.​
Back throw: Daitoryo throws the opponent over his shoulder.​
Up-Throw: Daitoryo throws his opponent directly over his head and smacks him with the blue ribbon.​
Down Throw: Daitoryo releases his opponent and slaps them into the ground with the poetry ribbon.​
Final Smash: Summons Chinese Phoenix which attacks the entire stage with fire. The stage’s background becomes red with a completely white circle as the moon as this is happening.​

This update will have all the images I have that are relevant. I will post here with my opening of it first, though.​

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Doing quite fine actually, totally can't wait to see the playstyle Daitouryou has.
Keep in mind, this is basically just an update on what is in the Daitoryo Hanafuda box. I took scans and will be posting them where possible in the OP. I will be getting my brother to spruce up my scan of Daitoryo himself for the main picture, though, because the scan was a little fuzzy in certain areas and doesn't quite show how nice his art style is.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Here's the fabled post that I promised (warning, image heavy and way too long for its own good).

As some of you may know, I recently ordered a Daitoryo Hanafuda Card Deck from Japan. It took awhile to get here, but I'm very pleased with it.

The deck arrived in a white package with all of my details on it and it is the only part of the order that I am not sharing with you all.

I got out the deck and it was pre-pachaged in plastic with a couple of neat things on it;

The little smiley face is a sticker and is not actually a part of the plastic like the rest of the symbols. I could translate it (badly) with Google Translate and a lot of time, but I'm guessing it just tells what's inside the box or something.

The only other things of note are the Nintendo logo and the "PP" square which has "プラ" written on it, which means "plastic".

The plastic was covering a cardboard box which contained the hard plastic case;

This side of the box has tons of interesting stuff on it:

The most obvious thing is the image of Daitoryo with letters that I'm almost positive translate into "daitoryo", but which are far to complicated for me to actually find, including some symbols in a small circle that appear everywhere and which I cannot translate, but which I suspect is extremely important seeing how prevalent it is (maybe even important enough to warrant being Daitoryo's symbol in-game).

Next, let's look at the characters on the top and bottom of the box: 八々花黑

(THIS THING HAS MADE MY LIFE SO DIFFICULT AJKLJFKLD;JF) Let's talk about the first symbol (八, or "hachi"). It's complicated. A: it translates into eight in both Japanese AND Chinese...sometimes(?) (thankfully, my mother recognized it from her Mahjong game, otherwise I wouldn't have found it.) THis is really weird because 八 does not look exactly like the symbol seen there. This is because, traditionally, it is written like this:

But is still written as 八 on computer fonts.

But then it gets more confusing. Apparently, ハ is derived from it. So there's a possibility that it's supposed to say ハ々花黑 instead of 八々花黑, but is stylized in a way that looks more like 八々花黑.

So, basically, I need to take a guess.

...why?

Ahem.

Then there's the second symbol, 々, which is an "iteration mark" and which is used instead of writing a symbol twice(?), so I'm not sure about it's sound here...
The third, 花, "hana", which translates roughly into "flower" (and makes up the "hana" in hanafuda)...
and the last, 黑, "kuro(?)", which means black.

So...basically it's either saying that these cards are "88 flower cards in the black color", which makes no sense (there are 48 cards), or, "Various Black Flower Cards (C)"...so...the 八 might actually be a ハ that is used as a trademark symbol for some reason?

That's my best guess.

Then there's the side opposite Daitoryo (the back before it was flattened) which I'm not even going to try and translate at this moment in time, but which includes a nice picture with those symbols inside the circle again (with (C) Nintendo below it).

Then we have the opposite side of the box:

The only real things of note are the incredibly nice looking Nintendo sticker and the picture depicting the three varieties of Hanafuda that Nintendo makes (Blossoms are the lowest quality, tengu is medium quality, and Daitoryo is the highest quality.)

Please note that the symbols in the circle appear again under the picture where the blossoms are.

(Yay, this part was actually short!)

Next we have the case (which I couldn't get good scans of, but I have the stock photo of):

There's not really too much of interest, but I'll go over what's on it (pretty simple design for the most part):

The front has the same image that was on the front of the cardboard box, but is smaller, and there are little buttons that say "push" on the top and bottom that open the thing up. Note, that's another time the symbols in the circle appear.

The top and bottom have "open" on them (little redundant with the buttons, but, whatever.)

The Sides have nothing of interest. They are just solid color.

The back has a sideways sticker with the bar code on it, and has the Nintendo logo again underneath said sticker.

Inside were three things; there were the cards (obviously), and then there were two pieces of paper.

Here's the first:

...well.

Oops.

A giant 88.

Derp.

Let's go back to this again:

八々花黑 may be saying what it seems to after all.

八々 May actually mean 88. Can't believe I didn't catch on.

So, apparently, these cards are 88 cards for some reason. Odd, but, okay.

八々花黑 May actually be saying "Black 88 Hanafuda Cards".

Huh. I was wrong. Not deleting that section, though.

Anyways, back to this:

There's no way that I'm translating all that, but, if I had to guess, it's telling you on of a few things:
A: What hanafuda cards are and how they're organized and whatnot.
B: What the history behind hanafuda cards is.
C: How they are important to Nintendo's history

I'm leaning towards A because of the other side:

This is definitely telling you what cards are what and it's possibly telling how to organize them when they come into your hand. The cards are grouped into ribbons, brights, commons, etc. I recommend you just look over it yourself to see what's going on, because the pictures get the message across if you know what cards are what. If you don't, here might help.

Then here's the other page:

This page is basically just teaching you how to play koi-koi. This is obvious because of the picture and, well, because it's a pretty safe bet that the big, bold symbols at the first part are saying koi-koi since they're repeated.

There's caution stuff at the bottom as well (but you could probably make that much out).

Then the other side:

This I know for sure about:

The top is showing you all the matches for cards and how many points each match is worth in the parentheses.

The part under that is showing you cards' seasons and arrangements, even numbering them for you.

And the absolute bottom is, again, health and safety stuffs (and a phone number that you definitely should prank call).

And, to finish it all up, here are all the cards:

The only thing that I need to note here is the final three cards.

The writing on this is different for every company. The first one includes those symbols in that circle again, the second one I would need to translate, and the final one is Nintendo written in Japanese.

Talk about a long post, huh? Tell me if you're curious about anything or if you can translate some of the text that I couldn't.

(That was a lot of typing.)

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Oh, I forgot! One more thing:

This was an extra card that I was not expecting at all. I don't know what the numbers are for at all, and I would really appreciate it if you guys helped me figure out what it means.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Probably a serial number for the deck.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I very slightly changed the title and the OP so that "Daitoryo" is now "Daitōryō".

Now that Miiverse is up for 3DS does anyone feel like drawing the good president? I might try, but I'm not a very good artist.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Oh so you can draw on the 3DS now O.o
That's neat!
I don't think I can draw this weekend or next week because I have exams comin up.
Try it sometime! I'm a little pathetic at drawing, so I'm not going to do it, so you should!

Also, I just posted about hanafuda in Miiverse. Apparently it's not well known that Nintendo used to make hanafuda cards. Daitoryo really does fit the guidelines for a "WTF" addition despite us predicting him here.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Try it sometime! I'm a little pathetic at drawing, so I'm not going to do it, so you should!

Also, I just posted about hanafuda in Miiverse. Apparently it's not well known that Nintendo used to make hanafuda cards. Daitoryo really does fit the guidelines for a "WTF" addition despite us predicting him here.
In the Smash Bros section? I'd like a link to the post.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Sorry guys, I haven't started the new drawing yet :(
I'll get right on that as soon as the winter break starts.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Well, Rain Man is cool too.
My argument against that is that Daitoryo is more important to Nintendo overall than Rainman, while Rainman is more important overall to general hanafuda. Since the historical representative would be representing Nintendo history, it makes more sense to have Daitoryo.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Well, I'll accept him only if they make a reference to the climatic battle from the Anime Movie, "Summer Wars."

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
(Bumping again)
(THANK YOU SO VERY VERY MUCH!!!)
I support this
You've been added to the list of supporters.
Well, I'll accept him only if they make a reference to the climatic battle from the Anime Movie, "Summer Wars."
I've added you to the list of supporters (tell me if I interpreted you wrong).

SO glad that this was bumped. I don't suppose either of you two new supporters has photoshopping skills, do you? If you do, I really need my scan of Daitoryo cleaned up for the OP. Either of you guys interested?

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
image.jpg

Looking back, Daitoryo is one of the best possible choices for a historical WTF character for Smash Bros.
While personally, I'd choose Diskun, Daitoryo would be really cool, even though he is not a video game character!

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
View attachment 5796

Looking back, Daitoryo is one of the best possible choices for a historical WTF character for Smash Bros.
While personally, I'd choose Diskun, Daitoryo would be really cool, even though he is not a video game character!
You've been added to the list of supporters.

Glad this thread is revived. Thanks mega.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
View attachment 5796

Oh, and also,
I, MEGA BIDOOF,
LEADER OF THE REVIVERS, SWORN SAVIORS OF THREADS THAT DONT GET THE ATTENTION THEY DESERVE,
HEREBY REVIVE THIS THREAD!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom