• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Daily Dot: ZeRo Set To Join Team SoloMid

dbwithlemon

Smash Apprentice
AI'm a clarify this I call me salty but I refuse to be part of the zero and mango d*ck riding masses that populate smashboards I never said zero wasn't the best but that interview about sponsorship shows an entitlement that any videogame player doesn't deserve regardless of thier skill u play games you're not a doctor who can cure cancer he wants a work visa so he can play games at a high level the f kinda **** is that. It personally makes me sick. So I'm salty and and ur all d*ck ridin
What about professional sports teams who help foreign people get a Visa?
What about game studios getting a visa for a foreign developer?

Can you define "a real job" other than doctor?

I'm sure you could find a lot of people who think any job where you aren't working with your hands and building things isnt' a "real job".

Zero has a skill, just like a doctor has a skill to heal people.
People are willing to watch Zero play because he's good, advertisers are willing to throw ads and thus money at anyone with an audience.

Maybe your real problem isn't with Zero, but your own issues with esports in general.

I don't know anything about Zero as a person, and I don't care. Who cares what his "demands" are, if he found someone willing to meet them, your issue should be with them(TSM), not Zero.

MacDeezi

Smash Rookie
I never unstand the issue people have with time outs, street fighter was the most event at evo and I am pretty sure it had more timeouts than Melee and Smash 4 combined.
The problem is that a Sm4sh timeout is 6mins and a melee timeout is 8mins. In street fighter its only 1min 40 sec. Timeouts in Smash means that there is a heavy amount of camping and boring play. While in street fighter its a legit strat that can be very exciting while characters try to get that last hit in before time runs out

BZero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
brand23
TSM already has an extremely skilled melee player, (one of the best at that...I love Leffen lol) and now they're gonna have the best Sm4sh player too? Jeez, that's crazy. But isn't ZeRo moving on to melee since he said if he won EVO, he would move onto melee?

SHiFT_

Smash Apprentice
I could go for some bait. You got some?
Post on page 1 is all the bait anyone needs. Who sees a giant photo of Melee on a Smash 4 thread without noticing the hook?

The problem is that a Sm4sh timeout is 6mins and a melee timeout is 8mins. In street fighter its only 1min 40 sec. Timeouts in Smash means that there is a heavy amount of camping and boring play. While in street fighter its a legit strat that can be very exciting while characters try to get that last hit in before time runs out
There still really isn't much of an excuse for not being able to take 2 stocks in 6 minutes other than the game being slow.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Post on page 1 is all the bait anyone needs. Who sees a giant photo of Melee on a Smash 4 thread without noticing the hook?

There still really isn't much of an excuse for not being able to take 2 stocks in 6 minutes other than the game being slow.
I could say the same about 4 in Melee.

Or a life bar in street fighter.

If it happens, who cares. People were actually excited, mostly to see villager and sonic lose.

Last edited:

NyceOne983

Smash Rookie
Wha
professional sports teams who help foreign people get a Visa?
What about game studios getting a visa for a foreign developer?

Can you define "a real job" other than doctor?

I'm sure you could find a lot of people who think an where you aren't working with your hands and building things isnt' a "real job".

Zero has a skill, just like a doctor has a skill to heal people.
People are willing to watch Zero play because he's good, advertisers are willing to throw ads and thus money at anyone with an audience.

Maybe your real problem isn't with Zero, but your own issues with esports in general.

I don't know anything about Zero as a person, and I don't care. Who cares what his "demands" are, if he found someone willing to meet them, your issue should be with them(TSM), not Zero.

real jobs contribute to society I do not work with my hands I have a relatively easy job but it is essential to society in fact you could not drive to work if it wasn't for jobs like mine What defines as a job isn't that you don't work video games you playThem there is no contribution only personal gain but you know what let him get signed let him get a sponsorship and a visa then he can be taxed on all his earnings he still won't be providing the necessary function to society in which case he is a hobbyist who gets paid forset hobby

Seal

Smash Journeyman
real jobs contribute to society I do not work with my hands I have a relatively easy job but it is essential to society in fact you could not drive to work if it wasn't for jobs like mine What defines as a job isn't that you don't work video games you playThem there is no contribution only personal gain but you know what let him get signed let him get a sponsorship and a visa then he can be taxed on all his earnings he still won't be providing the necessary function to society in which case he is a hobbyist who gets paid forset hobby
He is essentially an entertainer when people watch streams to see him play. He has just the same function as an actor in society.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I never unstand the issue people have with time outs, street fighter was the most watched event at evo and I am pretty sure it had more timeouts than Melee and Smash 4 combined.

Evo would also be stupid to drop Melee and/or Smash 4, viewship wise both games were top dogs.

People should also stop pretending time and dates don't matter.

People being awake or having other evo streams matters a lot.
Come on dude. SF matches are 99 seconds long. Going to time out in SF is SO much different than timing out a 6-8 minute match how can you even make that comparison?

Time and Dates matter, but I still think Melee would have had more views even if it was on Saturday morning. You underestimate how much love melee still has and it's fanbase compared to smash 4.

On the topic of ZeRo, I think he is yet again acting like a spoiled brat. I understand what he wants out of his hard work, but the way he answers questions makes him sound like a complete jerk!

NyceOne983

Smash Rookie
He is essentially an entertainer when people watch streams to see him play. He has just the same function as an actor in society.

I wouldn't go as far to call him an actor nor would I call him an athlete I would say he is skilled at playing honestly nothing more nothing less I'm not going to attempt to actually quantify what he does as work. This is a skill that won't even net him very much of a future as he gets older it's like having the worst college degree known to man and expecting to make 80 grand a year

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Come on dude. SF matches are 99 seconds long. Going to time out in SF is SO much different than timing out a 6-8 minute match how can you even make that comparison?

Time and Dates matter, but I still think Melee would have had more views even if it was on Saturday morning. You underestimate how much love melee still has and it's fanbase compared to smash 4.

On the topic of ZeRo, I think he is yet again acting like a spoiled brat. I understand what he wants out of his hard work, but the way he answers questions makes him sound like a complete jerk!
Because people will still boo time outs in other games including, yet in Street Fighter no problem at all with Elena spamming focus attack to build meter and abuse healer Ultra against fireballs.

It's the same with people cheering for Armada to camp lasers but boo HungryBox for trying to plank the ledge. Makes no sense to me.

I don't know what games would have made more views, when time and dates along with other Evo streams going on makes a huge difference to the view count. That's not me playing favoritism, that's looking at circumstances.

I also do not get your Zero hate, at least not at this venture.

xKobayashi

Smash Apprentice
I never unstand the issue people have with time outs, street fighter was the most watched event at evo and I am pretty sure it had more timeouts than Melee and Smash 4 combined.

Evo would also be stupid to drop Melee and/or Smash 4, viewship wise both games were top dogs.

People should also stop pretending time and dates don't matter.

People being awake or having other evo streams matters a lot.
Time outs in street fighter take 99 seconds, time outs in smash take 6 or 8 minutes.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
Yall need to calm down your **** and accept the fact that Zero is trying to live his life without being pulled down by a chain that has no personal relation to him other than getting him more money. For those arguing about Smash 4 and Melee, stop ******* around, to each their own game while accepting the flaws and pros, which if you think about it, melee actually has many more due to being older and just being designed well on accident. No I don't mean hate by it but let us be honest, without the plethora of techniques intended or not, Melee would be crap. If not for the easy accessibility of smash 4 and more refined design compared to Brawl, it would be crap.

NyceOne983

Smash Rookie
Add to further add to my point leffen and armada aren't asking for the same "demands" they come over they play they go back home so when I see zero asking it's a sense of entitlement that he has tell me u do t read his response and don't hear the snarky spoiled child voice he has. End of the day I think his demands are ludicrous and I hope they are never met.

NyceOne983

Smash Rookie
I'm dropping mic on this one I'm done I've made my point unless zero comes here and clarifies for himself

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Because people will still boo time outs in other games including, yet in Street Fighter no problem at all with Elena spamming focus attack to build meter and abuse healer Ultra against fireballs.
I agree that that's a lame strategy, but again, 99 seconds isn't unbearable. Imagine if it was happening for 6 minutes?

People think of smash as a fast paced & fun game. It's more annoying to see smash slowed down and camped than any other fighter psychologically because smash isn't designed with competitive tournaments in mind.

It's the same with people cheering for Armada to camp lasers but boo HungryBox for trying to plank the ledge. Makes no sense to me.
Ah I love Hbox but even I think what he did was really, really, really gay. If was mango I would have just stood opposite side and lasered until he stopped regrabbing the edge. It's mainly lame because it's jigglypuff and it looks stupid & requires no skill. At least with fox you have firefox stalling and invincible ledgedash mixups that make ledge planking a bit more fun to watch.

I agree that it's a bit hypocritical though... but the reason is simple. Armada is fun to watch, Hbox can be boring and frustrating. But he can also be pretty damn agressive when he wants to be. Whatever, he got 2nd at Evo that's what matters. Good job to him.

I also do not get your Zero hate, at least not at this venture.
Pretty simple, the way he writes / speaks publicly makes him come across like he is a spoiled brat with no manners and a gigantic sense of entitlement. Lots of people hate him for this reason, but still respect his skill in smash 4 & PM.

If he could be more humble & less of a **** about what he wants out of smash, he'd be more well liked. I don't think he cares though lol.

manrangan

Smash Cadet
NNID
manrangan
3DS FC
1289-8629-2870
Switch FC
SW-8204-8475-7607
ancy, post: 19771830, member: 247931"]I don't want to get into the whole sm4sh/melee argument, but the aggression happens on both sides all the time. It's literally 50/50.[/quote]maybe I'm not too involved with the smash 4 community then, but I've never heard of them chanting Melee at events and such. Either way people need to chill and play their own game in peace ;P

dbwithlemon

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't go as far to call him an actor nor would I call him an athlete I would say he is skilled at playing honestly nothing more nothing less I'm not going to attempt to actually quantify what he does as work. This is a skill that won't even net him very much of a future as he gets older it's like having the worst college degree known to man and expecting to make 80 grand a year

He's not an actor or an athlete, but he serves the same role. He performs his skill to entertain others.

In your mind is a football player contributing to society? If yes, how is Zero different?
If no, then you've got a valid argument, but it's not with Zero or his sponsor, it's with entertainment in general.

NyceOne983

Smash Rookie
He's not an actor or an athlete, but he serves the same role. He performs his skill to entertain others.

In your mind is a football player contributing to society? If yes, how is Zero different?
If no, then you've got a valid argument, but it's not with Zero or his sponsor, it's with entertainment in general.

Actually football players do contribute to society as do most major sports they provide revenue to the cities through stadium fees tourism and endorsement deals and a few other ways. zero as his name implies will provide zero revenue he will not bring tourists in cuz people come to play the game not to see him. Actors/ entertainment industry pay revenue to cities in order to film on location further contributing to overall ecomics. I could go on but on the real I don't think I need to further my point but here's one more thing to keep in mind people will pay to watch LeBron play basketball people will pay to play smash not pay solely to watch Zero play smash. And boom goes the dynamite

Last edited:

SHiFT_

Smash Apprentice
I could say the same about 4 in Melee.

Or a life bar in street fighter.

If it happens, who cares. People were actually excited, mostly to see villager and sonic lose.
My point was that it's a lot easier to take two stocks than four, especially in the giant window of six minutes. If melee were to run 4 stocks in 12 minutes, this would make sense.

Last edited:

dbwithlemon

Smash Apprentice
You do realize that events like EVO sell spectator seats, correct?
eSports has an audience.
Glad to know you don't know how it works, yet you're railing agains it.

NyceOne983

Smash Rookie
You do realize that events like EVO sell spectator seats, correct?
eSports has an audience.
Glad to know you don't know how it works, yet you're railing agains it.
I'm fully aware of evo and how it works ur talking one tournament that has nowhere near the economic impact of any major sporting event ur talking penny's on the dollar all that does is pay for venue fees and small payouts it doesn't go to city or the economy evo doesn't pay fees to the city of Vegas like pro sports or film studios do ur argument is dumb now I've have literally **** on it. at this point your argument sounds like **** riding and you didn't have much of one to begin with

Mr. Oshawott

Smash Apprentice
@ N NyceOne983

While I do agree with you, I would be grateful if you tried working on your grammar a bit; I have a bit of a hard time trying to read your posts. I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, I'm just helping you out, is all.

Seal

Smash Journeyman
I'm fully aware of evo and how it works ur talking one tournament that has nowhere near the economic impact of any major sporting event ur talking penny's on the dollar all that does is pay for venue fees and small payouts it doesn't go to city or the economy evo doesn't pay fees to the city of Vegas like pro sports or film studios do ur argument is dumb now I've have literally **** on it. at this point your argument sounds like **** riding and you didn't have much of one to begin with
But eSports is rising in popularity. If it became as large as sports, would you then support zero?

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
But eSports is rising in popularity. If it became as large as sports, would you then support zero?
DOTA / League / Starcraft are rising dude, NOT smash. These guys fill up stadiums. Smash is never going to do that, nor will street fighter. Fighting games are just not as popular as RTS on a spectator level.

Also Esports will never be bigger or more popular than real sports. Ever. It's just not happening. You're never going to be able to rival the number of seats sold for world cup soccer, or the superbowl.

Which is why my attitude wth smash money is "take what you can get and be grateful for it"

If I was Zero I'd be pretty thrilled right now with over 11k in winnings when all he had to do was beat a bunch of smash 4 scrubs.. lol. He didn't even drop a game. The level of skill in competitive smash 4 is pathetic, and I think that has a lot to do with a lack of viewership. all the really good smashers focus on melee / pm / 64 because they let you... do stuff and aren't designed to be counter-intuitive to competitive smash.

NyceOne983

Smash Rookie
@ Seal Seal

If zero is the guy who could make smash rise to the level of LOL or DOTA I would be behind his endeavors 100%. As it stands now I feel like this is happening so slow because of the divide within our own community not to get into the whole one unit argument but as long as the community is split we can't grow as exponentially as the other games. Not to mention most other games have a lot more backing from the company that makes them street fighters competitive scene has the full backing of capcom and the payouts show it Dota is the same situation. If Nintendo backed a player (for arguments sake zero ) we have a face, if Nintendo funded a tournament 100% then the community is legit. The main issue really is smash is still an underground movement. It's grass roots other scenes have moved beyond that. I think smash con which is coming up has the right ideA though celebrating all versions of smash and really celebrating the community in its entirety. It also has the distinction of possibly begin our next major in its 1st year (providing it does well enough to return annually). I love smash since I was 15 I'm in my 30s now and I still want nothing more than for it to grow as large as the other games. But we have to do that and we have to convince Nintendo and the other scenes that it's worthy of that acknowledgement.

As for my earlier posts some hit me on my grammar sorry I was at work try a to get my point across while still actually working.

Last edited:

Eureka

Smash Ace
@ Seal Seal

If zero is the guy who could make smash rise to the level of LOL or DOTA I would be behind his endeavors 100%. As it stands now I feel like this is happening so slow because of the divide within our own community not to get into the whole one unit argument but as long as the community is split we can't grow as exponentially as the other games. Not to mention most other games have a lot more backing from the company that makes them street fighters competitive scene has the full backing of capcom and the payouts show it Dota is the same situation. If Nintendo backed a player (for arguments sake zero ) we have a face, if Nintendo funded a tournament 100% then the community is legit. The main issue really is smash is still an underground movement. It's grass roots other scenes have moved beyond that. I think smash con which is coming up has the right ideA though celebrating all versions of smash and really celebrating the community in its entirety. It also has the distinction of possibly begin our next major in its 1st year (providing it does well enough to return annually). I love smash since I was 15 I'm in my 30s now and I still want nothing more than for it to grow as large as the other games. But we have to do that and we have to convince Nintendo and the other scenes that it's worthy of that acknowledgement.

As for my earlier posts some hit me on my grammar sorry I was at work try a to get my point across while still actually working.
ZeRo plays Smash Brothers as a job. And it doesn't matter what arbitrary stipulations you put up. The questions is, "are people willing to pay you to do whatever it is you are doing?" And the answer is yes, through both sponsorships and tournament payouts, people will pay ZeRo to play Smash Brothers.

The fact that you are calling ZeRo whinny and entitled for stating that he wants a team to help him do his job (which is the whole point of joining a team) is ridiculous.

Flambo237

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Flambo237
Peak viewers for EVO:

Melee: 200k+
Smash 4: Under 100k

Pretty salty. Smash 4 is the shiny new and more accessible game, so of course it will have more entrants (only about 100).

Due to the timeouts and lack of viewers/hype, Smash 4 will likely not be at EVO next year. Sad for your end, but true. Your trial is over... Time to buy the full version.
Smash 4 was the third most viewed game at evo it will probs be there next year. Also I love melee, and smash 4 but you don't, so don't comment about it to piss people off, and brawl and smash 4 have more content then melee so please keep living under your rock, SM4SH will be at evo next year unless poken is there :|'

Last edited:

Seal

Smash Journeyman
DOTA / League / Starcraft are rising dude, NOT smash. These guys fill up stadiums. Smash is never going to do that, nor will street fighter. Fighting games are just not as popular as RTS on a spectator level.

Also Esports will never be bigger or more popular than real sports. Ever. It's just not happening. You're never going to be able to rival the number of seats sold for world cup soccer, or the superbowl.

Which is why my attitude wth smash money is "take what you can get and be grateful for it"

If I was Zero I'd be pretty thrilled right now with over 11k in winnings when all he had to do was beat a bunch of smash 4 scrubs.. lol. He didn't even drop a game. The level of skill in competitive smash 4 is pathetic, and I think that has a lot to do with a lack of viewership. all the really good smashers focus on melee / pm / 64 because they let you... do stuff and aren't designed to be counter-intuitive to competitive smash.
@ Dylan_Tnga Dylan_Tnga Your entire post means nothing to me because I said "if". I don't care if it does or doesn't, I was just asking him a hypothetical question to try and better understand his POV. I wasn't asking for an explanation of why you don't think the hypothetical situation will happen.

@ Seal Seal

@ N NyceOne983 This is the kind of post I was looking for from you. I may not agree with you, but I can now understand and respect your opinion.

Last edited:

NyceOne983

Smash Rookie
ZeRo plays Smash Brothers as a job. And it doesn't matter what arbitrary stipulations you put up. The questions is, "are people willing to pay you to do whatever it is you are doing?" And the answer is yes, through both sponsorships and tournament payouts, people will pay ZeRo to play Smash Brothers.

The fact that you are calling ZeRo whinny and entitled for stating that he wants a team to help him do his job (which is the whole point of joining a team) is ridiculous.

Zero wants a work visa to play games he wants a work visa to play games that doesn't sound entitled to you I want a million dollars. This is an immigration nightmare for him if he listed his occupation as gamer they'd deny the visa so fast. So yea his sense of entitles borderline ********

dbwithlemon

Smash Apprentice
Actually football players do contribute to society as do most major sports they provide revenue to the cities through stadium fees tourism and endorsement deals and a few other ways. zero as his name implies will provide zero revenue he will not bring tourists in cuz people come to play the game not to see him. Actors/ entertainment industry pay revenue to cities in order to film on location further contributing to overall ecomics. I could go on but on the real I don't think I need to further my point but here's one more thing to keep in mind people will pay to watch LeBron play basketball people will pay to play smash not pay solely to watch Zero play smash. And boom goes the dynamite
Now that I know I'm talking to a 10 year old, I feel a lot more comfortable letting this go.

Eureka

Smash Ace
Zero wants a work visa to play games he wants a work visa to play games that doesn't sound entitled to you I want a million dollars. This is an immigration nightmare for him if he listed his occupation as gamer they'd deny the visa so fast. So yea his sense of entitles borderline ********
ZeRo wants a work visa so he can do what he gets payed to do. If that doesn't sound like work to you then I don't know what does. And yes, this probably is difficult for ZeRo on his own to get a work visa, which is something a team could help him get. I honestly don't know what you would rather have ZeRo do, struggle to be able to stay in the U.S. so it's harder for him to make money?

NyceOne983

Smash Rookie
tha
Now that I know I'm talking to a 10 year old, I feel a lot more comfortable letting this go.
It's funny that u say u can let this only after I made points that proved I was right and u presented no argument that actually favored your stance if this was a debate you would have lost the election

NyceOne983

Smash Rookie
ZeRo wants a work visa so he can do what he gets payed to do. If that doesn't sound like work to you then I don't know what does. And yes, this probably is difficult for ZeRo on his own to get a work visa, which is something a team could help him get. I honestly don't know what you would rather have ZeRo do, struggle to be able to stay in the U.S. so it's harder for him to make money?

Im certain that zero Is a fairly smart guy I would rather zero find a career path that overall contributed to society I never said zero can't play games for additional income I am an American citizen who works pays taxes and enter tournaments to supplement my income his view on gaming and only gaming as a career choice offends me as an American citizen as you should feel as well and nothing is stopping him from staying in Chile and being a pro gamer full time why doesnt he just do that instead of demanding an American work visa

Eureka

Smash Ace
Im certain that zero Is a fairly smart guy I would rather zero find a career path that overall contributed to society I never said zero can't play games for additional income I am an American citizen who works pays taxes and enter tournaments to supplement my income his view on gaming and only gaming as a career choice offends me as an American citizen as you should feel as well and nothing is stopping him from staying in Chile and being a pro gamer full time why doesnt he just do that instead of demanding an American work visa
Dude, are you seriously trying to bring 'Murican patriotism into this? That doesn't matter in the slightest. ZeRo still has to pay taxes, and contributes to society (which doesn't matter anyway) just as much as any sports player. He plays the game, people watch the game, he gets money for winning the game and from sponsors. And to counter what you said before yes people do watch Smash 4 just to watch ZeRo. Even if they didn't there are still plenty of sports players who aren't big name and their jobs are not called into validity.

And no, ZeRo can not play games full time in Chile the scene is not big enough. As a professional gamer, he needs to be able to compete in the U.S. Furthermore, are you seriously trying to say that ZeRo shouldn't be allowed to play games in America just because he isn't an American citizen?

ZeRo is currently the single greatest Smash 4 player in the world, has gone undefeated in tournaments, and is living his dream job. So who the hell are you to tell him what he's doing is wrong?

Top Bottom