• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The custom movest looks pretty dang good.

we still don't know the extent of customization, but once you think about the effort//value trade off making multiple final smashes when Sakurai has already admitted that there are fans who prefer no items at all, seems like a wast of time.
Ah, your right. I guess it really will be special moves only. It's the only way custom moves would work too.

Well I guess for a good example I guess lucario could still have his old final smash

Or for mewtwo his mega evolution or his psystrike move
Now that I think about it... Most characters won't really have much to choose from, would they?

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
It's a shame, as you can tell I'v only actually joined recently but has the community really been that apposed to changing up the melee formula as every one makes it seem?
Its possible, most people have been okay with what Melee has brought to the table, and many were going to be okay with Smash 4's competitive scene too. If we can use custom move sets during tournaments, great! If not, then Im perfectly fine with decision too.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
I feel like they shot the feature in the foot but excluding it from online randoms. You still must master characters in their default states so why bother learning them in custom form?

Mewtwo_soul

Smash Rookie
The only problem I see with Custom movesets, is the fact that would make actually developing a tier list even more hard or time taking because of the amount of options. In aspects I expect it will be disabled because of that very idea. It'll be cool if it is allowed in tourney scenes, but I heavily doubt it would be. Not without some extensive testing and the like in all honesty.

NewGuy79

Smash Journeyman
The only problem I see with Custom movesets, is the fact that would make actually developing a tier list even more hard or time taking because of the amount of options. In aspects I expect it will be disabled because of that very idea. It'll be cool if it is allowed in tourney scenes, but I heavily doubt it would be. Not without some extensive testing and the like in all honesty.
I don't think effort on our part should be used as grounds to ban a feature, ya it would probably take a lot longer for a solid tier list to develop with custom move sets in mind but then you also gota consider if that even maters in the first place, competitively speaking in my opinion tier list have only served the purpose of pushing players towards certain OP characters and in the end their not really that necessary. so I say take your time maybe a year or two down the line we can have a solid tire list for SSB4 to argue about but I don't think our own community efforts should be used as evidence for the removal of SSB4's features.

Oh ya and MODs?
I posted this big long thing about custom move sets over here and then realized that these two threads are basically talking about the same thing, maybe one of you gus can merge them perhaps?

Last edited:

Dairz

Smash Ace
I feel like they shot the feature in the foot but excluding it from online randoms. You still must master characters in their default states so why bother learning them in custom form?
Its not like it will be difficult to adjust to a few specials being different. I mean, you do a custom Mario B and a fireball comes out, the function is just changed slightly.

DoubleN

Smash Rookie
Even though changes to moves might be slight in some cases, I can't wait to see them in the hands of the best in the game. This means that characters will stay fresher, longer, and I'm so excited to see what kind of stuff the champs come up with.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
I wonder how many variations of a single special move each character gets. I recall Mario using at least 3 different neutral B attacks in the Direct.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I wonder if they will only be variants of the same move, or maybe we can have completely different moves altogether.

Mario Tornado was a good example of one.

Shakyy

Addicted to Ice.
NNID
Shakyy
The real question is, if there will be competitions completely based on custom movesets or if people will totally disregard it for what the game already has to offer?

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
I have to say that I'm both very excited and concerned about custom movesets. With the time issues syncing and changing controls caused, if done poorly, I could see this being a problem for tournaments if everyone does it before every match. I'm really hoping that we will have the ability to do this customization from within the character select screen. If not you can expect time between changing characters to take much longer.
On the other hand, if this is implemented well, I think it will be a strong tool for teammates looking to synergize with their partner. As someone very interested in teams, the prospect of being able to change my character up to better suit the play style of my teammate really excites me. I think that as a community we should really look towards giving this a chance. Change is both good and essential for the growth of this game. Turning a blind eye towards a feature with as many possibilities would be silly. Both balance and ease of access are going to be key to this feature becoming part of our future. All we can do at this point is hope for the best.

Last edited:

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
I remember that in Sunshine, you can spin jump while spraying water all around you. Perhaps that could be an alteration? Also the Turbo Nozzle which has hit boxes this time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

EDIT: Itried to edit a double post I made and for some reason the first one disapeared... anyways, what I was going to say was:
"My new avatar made me think, what about Mega Man's custom movesets? Kirby uses one of his in-games power ups in the Direct(the one that freezes Mario if I recall correctly), imagine having some of his X version power-ups and from the other robot masters from the original series"

Last edited by a moderator:

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
"My new avatar made me think, what about Mega Man's custom movesets? Imagine having some of his X version power-ups and from the other robot masters from the original series"
Probably should put this in the Megaman Custom Thread but...

Down B- Skull Barrier (Can't throw it, but you can walk around with it)

Neutral B- Shadow Blade (Doesn't go as far as Metal Blade, but has boomerang effect)

Side B- Commando Bomb (Think Snake's Side B)

Up B- Rush Coil MM5 (Bury/meteor opponents jumped on, basically gives Rock a third standard jump in the air, like Wario's Bike)

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Probably should put this in the Megaman Custom Thread but...

Down B- Skull Barrier (Can't throw it, but you can walk around with it)

Neutral B- Shadow Blade (Doesn't go as far as Metal Blade, but has boomerang effect)

Side B- Commando Bomb (Think Snake's Side B)

Up B- Rush Coil MM5 (Bury/meteor opponents jumped on, basically gives Rock a third standard jump in the air, like Wario's Bike)
Down B - Jewel Satellite. Can walk with it and throw it, but a smash attack can destroy it.

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
Can't wait to OP the flying **** out of the special B from Pikachu

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I think this was just a smart method of rebalancing older characters without entirely changing their specials. Look at a lot of the low tiered characters and their best moves. Few of their specials are among the characters best (or even defining moves). Take Ness for instance: 3 of his specials are terrible and his up-b is a situational attack that is a very bad recovery. Giving him new specials would probably make him significantly better.

Top Bottom