• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The custom movest looks pretty dang good.

SuperLuigiTheIntalian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sagablitz
I would love to turn Mario's Move Sets into Fire Mario's Move Sets! Also I would like to see Mario use The Other 3 F.L.U.D.Ds From Super Mario Sunshine Which is the Blue One to hover a bit longer, The Red to Jump very high and and the Grey one which you can boost Faster.

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
I just hope the options they give you have at least an extent of roots to other games. I don't remember when Pit's arrows made a loop-dee-loop.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I'm happy to see them in it, it'll add another level customization to the game. More depth to matches people can play the same character with different move sets that way there is potentially no mirror matches. I look forward to trying them all out and seeing what I like best.

Deku_Don

Smash Apprentice
I would like them to implement some sort of mode like Smash Run/adventure into the Wii U game where you can power up your moves with these. Would be a cool single player component.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
Only neutral B moves are affected. Unless I missed something...but I don't think I did. So no variable F.L.U.D.D.

And unfortunately, Ganondorf... What could you do to change that move up? Also, I'm sure there'll be a wii u version of smash run.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Only neutral B moves are affected. Unless I missed something...but I don't think I did. So no variable F.L.U.D.D.

And unfortunately, Ganondorf... What could you do to change that move up? Also, I'm sure there'll be a wii u version of smash run.
Wasn't DK's custom move his side B?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

Donkey Kong's Side-Special got a change. It's slower, but has super armor... That's a custom move.

EDIT: Ninja'd!

Last edited:

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I imagine all 4 Special attacks can be customized. I'm just curious about the degree to which we have control over the customization. Is it going to basically be you swapping out your B attacks from a few presets? Or will we actually be able to customize different properties? (like defense, status effect, etc.)

Kirby getting freeze breath does seem very... specific?

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
I hope i can change all the special's b moves (Mario Tornado pls).

If Ike returns that means no more silly Eruption.

Last edited:

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
Wasn't DK's custom move his side B?
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Most of the others were neutrals, that's why it was a bit confusing.

Maybe a lot of characters will have swappable moves, ones like Kirby's ice breath. It would be cool to get rid of the useless moves and get something better. It would be a bit bigger than a simple aspect change.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I wonder if Kirby can copy customised moves

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729
I remember when viewing I thought I saw a custom moveset detail

At first, I thought Charizard had electric breath, but now I can obviously see that he was being hit by Pikachu's thunder bolt.

And that brings me to this. Didn't all of the custom movesets we see were in the Wii U version? Are we gonna have custom movesets at all in the 3DS version?

D

Deleted member

This seems interesting, maybe finally we can declone some chatacters like Toon Link, even though it might just be a small difference, it's better than nothing

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
This seems interesting, maybe finally we can declone some chatacters like Toon Link, even though it might just be a small difference, it's better than nothing
Also: Tournaments will never be the same. Everyone will be unique, and different match-ups means a more exiting competitive scene.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if there'll finally be a deku leaf special? Also, there was a thread on custom moves in tournaments somewhere. I think the general idea was that it would be too hard to set.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I wonder if this will be usable in tournaments?
Something tells me they wont....

I will shed tears of joy if the FLUDD can be modified for a useful purpose. I got dibs on those mega fireballs for Mario too. The cape is perfect (Unless it can reflect and deal some more damage...) The B Up shown in the Direct was just about perfect. Mario wishful thinking.... :4mario:

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
Something tells me they wont....

I will shed tears of joy if the FLUDD can be modified for a useful purpose. I got dibs on those mega fireballs for Mario too. The cape is perfect (Unless it can reflect and deal some more damage...) The B Up shown in the Direct was just about perfect. Mario wishful thinking.... :4mario:
I didn't see mario's custom Recovery, so I will rewatch that segment.

Senario

Smash Ace
Well if they are properly balanced I have no problem. Mario's fox laser type fire balls look great and useful. I can imagine that slower moves will generally not be useful in customization.

I wouldn't say dismiss them right away for competitive since they may actually be not that bad. But then again, there could be those options that make things just broken. If it does terrible things for balance/takes way too long to switch up options for players then we can just not use it.

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
I originally was pretty against the idea when I first heard of it, but right now I'm actually looking forward to the variation it can give all the fighters.

I'm pretty sure customization will only apply to B moves, and that it'll be relatively simplistic; something like a fixed slider with 2 extremes on either side, with the neutral position being the unaltered move (so Mario's Fire Balls are either large, normal or small). I do hope it sees some usage in tournaments, although it depends on the extent of its balance; if some ridiculous combination props up that shuts down other characters on the roster I'd be fine without it.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Also: Tournaments will never be the same. Everyone will be unique, and different match-ups means a more exiting competitive scene.
It will be banned. There might be some side tournaments that allow it, but most people will ban it.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I originally was pretty against the idea when I first heard of it, but right now I'm actually looking forward to the variation it can give all the fighters.

I'm pretty sure customization will only apply to B moves, and that it'll be relatively simplistic; something like a fixed slider with 2 extremes on either side, with the neutral position being the unaltered move (so Mario's Fire Balls are either large, normal or small). I do hope it sees some usage in tournaments, although it depends on the extent of its balance; if some ridiculous combination props up that shuts down other characters on the roster I'd be fine without it.
This seems a bit unrealistic. How would you use a slider to change Mario's Up Special, or Kirby's Normal Special? The custom move sets will probably be more complex than a slider...

NewGuy79

Smash Journeyman
It will be banned. There might be some side tournaments that allow it, but most people will ban it.
I honestly hope that it's not just gona be banned like you think, different special options don't really seem that different then some of the customizable options in other fighters. It be a real missed opportunity if we dismiss the feature out right especially since I'm guessing it's gona play a huge part within the game, and if this smash douse end up being Brawl2.0 (as most people on these forms seem to think) then custom move sets will be what puts it apart.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I honestly hope that it's not just gona be banned like you think, different special options don't really seem that different then some of the customizable options in other fighters. It be a real missed opportunity if we dismiss the feature out right especially since I'm guessing it's gona play a huge part within the game, and if this smash douse end up being Brawl2.0 (as most people on these forms seem to think) then custom move sets will be what puts it apart.
Honestly, I really think that the custom movesets should be banned. Why do we need them? We should just use our fighter like we did in Project M, and in Brawl, and in Melee, and in SSB64. Its not really going to make a huge difference to the point where we cant play competitive Smash Bros.

Last edited:

NewGuy79

Smash Journeyman
This seems a bit unrealistic. How would you use a slider to change Mario's Up Special, or Kirby's Normal Special? The custom move sets will probably be more complex than a slider...
I think a better example would be that for each B move your given 3 options. realistically if only B moves are customizable then have 2 extra options for special would equal to 8 customizable specials for each character, theres no way this game would ever get finished if there were any more then 8 specials variations for characters.

Honestly, I really think that the custom movesets should be banned. Why do we need them? We should just use our fighter like we did in Project M, and in Brawl, and in Melee, and in SSB64. Its not really going to make a huge difference to the point where we cant play competitive Smash Bros.
the thing is custom moves sets are not gona stop anyone from playing competitively, its an option which at most would just add new things to old fighters. it's like adding ultra combos in street fighter, removing a feature with so much potential just seems like the community it sticking to familiarity for familiarities sake.

and on the topic of the possible balance issues that would arise from custom move sets, well imbalance is inevitable. even if there implemented perfectly in SSB4 there will always be some sort of imbalance between one move and another moves.

In the end it's a choice between the familiar easy route (playing how we've always been playing) or the hard experimental route (dealing with the inevitable division that will come with custom move sets) and in my opinion I'ld like to see the community try the hard route

Last edited by a moderator:

ZanZero

Smash Apprentice
I gotta agree with NewGuy on this one. It would be foolish of us as a community to turn our nose up at the possibility for a more in-depth metagame. At the moment I think all that we can do is wait to see how balanced the custom moveset feature is, or how balanced we can make it through banning broken moves. Hell, if the competitive pokemon community can comb through hundreds of moves and creatures to find what is fair and what is not, we should be able to comb through a few moves and give it actual consideration and effort before we prematurely swing the ban hammer. I can't say for certain, but I have a feeling these movesets coud have a hugely positive impact on Sm4sh's competitive scene.

Networker1

Smash Journeyman
Didn't Link have a new custom dash attack? Or did they change his normal dash attack? Same with DK's roll.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Didn't Link have a new custom dash attack? Or did they change his normal dash attack? Same with DK's roll.
They changed his dash attack and back roll to pay more tribute to the Zelda series. His back roll is his backflip from Z - targeting, and his dash attack is his Jump strike.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I think a better example would be that for each B move your given 3 options. realistically if only B moves are customizable then have 2 extra options for special would equal to 8 customizable specials for each character, theres no way this game would ever get finished if there were any more then 8 specials variations for characters.
This is probably a more liable option, and it would be pretty cool.
the thing is custom moves sets are not gona stop anyone from playing competitively, its an option which at most would just add new things to old fighters. it's like adding ultra combos in street fighter, removing a feature with so much potential just seems like the community it sticking to familiarity for familiarities sake.

and on the topic of the possible balance issues that would arise from custom move sets, well imbalance is inevitable. even if there implemented perfectly in SSB4 there will always be some sort of imbalance between one move and another moves.

In the end it's a choice between the familiar easy route (playing how we've always been playing) or the hard experimental route (dealing with the inevitable division that will come with custom move sets) and in my opinion I'ld like to see the community try the hard route
Well, I really wouldnt mind the custom move sets, but Im just saying what Im thinking here. I just believe for one reason or another the custom movesets wont be able to be used.

NewGuy79

Smash Journeyman
I gotta agree with NewGuy on this one. It would be foolish of us as a community to turn our nose up at the possibility for a more in-depth metagame. At the moment I think all that we can do is wait to see how balanced the custom moveset feature is, or how balanced we can make it through banning broken moves. Hell, if the competitive pokemon community can comb through hundreds of moves and creatures to find what is fair and what is not, we should be able to comb through a few moves and give it actual consideration and effort before we prematurely swing the ban hammer. I can't say for certain, but I have a feeling these movesets coud have a hugely positive impact on Sm4sh's competitive scene.
It's a risk, but your right we've seen too little to even consider banning now. All we can do is hope that Sakurai not only tries his best to make them balanced and limited but he also mack changing them and starting a match as seamless as possible.

It's a stretch, but will we be able to change a character's Final Smash in any way too?
we still don't know the extent of customization, but once you think about the effort//value trade off making multiple final smashes when Sakurai has already admitted that there are fans who prefer no items at all, seems like a wast of time.

Well, I really wouldnt mind the custom move sets, but Im just saying what Im thinking here. I just believe for one reason or another the custom movesets wont be able to be used.
It's a shame, as you can tell I'v only actually joined recently but has the community really been that apposed to changing up the melee formula as every one makes it seem?

D

Deleted member

Well I guess for a good example I guess lucario could still have his old final smash

Or for mewtwo his mega evolution or his psystrike move
I think for Mewtwo it would be just to choose one of his Megas, the same aplies for Charizard.
If there is a characterthat should have 2 FS, it's Luigi with his old one for some "reasons"

Top Bottom