• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Character Uniqueness Discussion Thread

Who would be the most unique Mario series newcomer?

• Bowser Jr.

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • Paper Mario

Votes: 41 51.9%
  • Daisy

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Fawful

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Birdo

Votes: 5 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I like this thread. I think you're going to have a hard time getting people to not vote on who they want more, rather than putting all personal feelings for the characters aside and judging uniqueness alone, but it's worth trying out anyhow.

It was a relatively hard choice for me amid the Mario choices, and it eventually came down to Paper Mario, Petey, Fawful, and King Boo. I ultimately chose King Boo, because he has so many great options from his boss fights, ranging from Boo creation and manipulation, general invisibility, levitation, materializing of objects, and possible possession, and having the most unique stature, constantly floating off of the ground.

Petey and Fawful have a diverse collection of attacks and gadgets, respectively, of their own, so they're probably interchangeable between second and third, while Paper Mario might have been higher before Rosalina, but the fact that she already uses a puppetmaster gimmick leads me to look less fondly upon Paper Mario's helpers. Otherwise, Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings have too much semi-clone potential, Waluigi would be yet another prop abuser, E. Gadd's most prominent weapons have functions already seen in Smash, same with Birdo's few attacks, and the rest are self-explanatorily disregarded.
I agree with the putting aside personal feelings.
But the again, most people like the characters they like because they feel they are unique.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Like said in my other topic, how unique a character is will be up to Sakurai. In a game that allows the creator to take a lot of artistic liberties it really doesn't matter. You could make Daisy the most unique character if you were really dedicated and imaginative enough.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Bowser Jr. could utilize a moveset that highly focuses on his magic brush. He'd be the only character to utilize the graffiti mechanics, and what that does is temporarily leave damaging graffiti on Bowser Jr.'s opponent whenever he attacks with his brush.

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
Uniqueness is not a good word to use. It could apply to anyone, and no significant progress on getting our roster predictions more accurate will be made. We need a word that is intentionally harder to interpret so we can raise the bar. Something that would befit a smash character who is the total package. I would use the word "special".

The newcomers announced so far are "special". They are from popular games, they are pleasantly surprising additions, and their move sets represent the concepts of the games they are from. Brawl has already covered the bare minimum and then some of character representation, now we need characters that are more special than other contenders. Popularity is extremely helpful here. So is the status of not being a redundant addition.

But knowing Sakurai, I'm probably wrong too. I just think we should think harder if we want to get our predictions more accurate.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Paper Mario for sure. although i do think Jr could offer some unique traits, i do believe that he would share a few moves with Bowser jsut cause... well he is Bowser Jr

Fortanono

Smash Ace
Could you not count one vote for Petey Piranha? I want to change my vote to King Boo.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
View attachment 5612
Here is the roster we will be voting on.
I should proably explain a few things so I don't look insane.

1. Yes, I know the roster is big and has a whopping 62 characters. This is fine, as I stated before, we are not voting likeliness. I am also making a more realistic version, that will have less characters than this, which I will post later.

2. Don't worry, we don't have Diskun, Takamaru, a second Sonic character, and 3 Shulks on the roster, thos are just placeholders.
Diskun is a placeholder for an obscure WTF retro, like Mr. Game & Watch or R.O.B.
Takmaru is placeholder for a normal retro character, like Ice Climbers and Pit.
The 3 Shulks are placeholders for miscellaneous or 'Other" characters, that represent series not already in Smash Bros.
and the Sonic Logo is a placeholder for another 3rd party characters.

And also, since this is unrealistic, please tell me if you feel a certain series should have more representation, or there should be more slots on the roster.
The roster needs more Shulks.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Ok everyone!
Voting is over.
I will count up the votes and the results and next poll will be up tomorrow!
Tomorrow is Donkey Kong!

EDIT: Ok, we'll I counted the votes faster then I thought I would.

The results are in!
The winner was Paper Mario, and by a landslide!

Paper Mario - 15 votes
King Boo - 4 votes
Bowser Jr. - 3 votes
Toad - 2 votes
Fawful - 2 votes
Koopalings - 1 votes
Dr. Mario - 0 votes
Daisy - 0 votes
Professor E. Gadd - votes
Petey Piranha - 0 votes

The next vote will be for Donkey Kong, and will start tomorrow!

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Paper Mario winning isn't really much of a surprise, given his exposure in comparison to more unknown unique characters like King Boo or Petey Piranha. Ah well, maybe after the inevitable Luigi's Mansion 3 or something, King Boo will get the spotlight he deserves.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
K. Rool > Cranky > Lanky > Funky > Dixie > Chunky > DK Jr. > Jumpman > Pauline

I'll just touch on the "main three contenders." K. Rool has his crown toss (projectile or ranged trap), crown for spiky headbutts or jabs, golden stomach for belly flops or super armor, cannonball rain, playing dead, Kredits, blunderbuss dash, blunderbuss vacuum, regular cannonball (shot as one-time item or as reusable projectile), spiked cannonball (shot as one-item item or as reusable projectile), freezing clouds, movement-slowing clouds, control-reversing clouds, invisibility, a helicopter pack, electric pods, KAOS, green shockwaves, boxing gloves, his Blast-O-Matic, Klaptraps, and general crocodile attacks (chomps, tail whips, The Death Rool). I may have missed a few things along the way from the Paon games.

Cranky has his generic denture projectile and high bounce from Tropical Freeze, props from Donkey Kong arcade, and most importantly (and also rarely mentioned), potions from his DK64 days (giving him status effects to place on foes or himself, like growth or shrinkage, or maybe poison damage). He can also...hit you with a cane.

Dixie can use her hair!! It's a conical hitbox, like Yoshi's tail attacks, but on every move! And her Bubble Gun, dramatically altered so as to stick to opponents and not be a generic projectile. And a command grab, which for some reason is floated as a special and not a regular grab like Donkey Kong's identical one. And...other props, like a juice box!!

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
K. Rool > Cranky > Lanky > Funky > Dixie > Chunky > DK Jr. > Jumpman > Pauline

I'll just touch on the "main three contenders."
Actually, I sort of wanted to hear what you had to say about the others you listed too. Regardless of chances I'd of liked to see what you'd come up with for them. We've all heard your thoughts of K. Rool and Dixie, but I can't be the only one wondering about your opinion on less likely characters such as Lanky, Funky and Chunky.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Actually, I sort of wanted to hear what you had to say about the others you listed too. Regardless of chances I'd of liked to see what you'd come up with for them. We've all heard your thoughts of K. Rool and Dixie, but I can't be the only one wondering about your opinion on less likely characters such as Lanky, Funky and Chunky.
Lanky has his assorted DK64 attacks, but most notably, an extendable arm concept in which he's able to stretch out his arm attacks while the player holds down attack inputs, giving him potentially incredible range, but he has to wait for his arms to pull back in afterward, so if he whiffs, he's highly vulnerable. Funky has multiple food projectiles and his boot rocket, a surfboard prop, and his airplane for soaring around temporarily. Chunky has his projectile and generic strong attacks that could result in him becoming a DK clone. Then, the arcade three are basically minimally different from their regular counterparts and are all pretty interchangeable; aside from arcade props, they have very little to offer in the way of new or unique moves.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
K. Rool > Cranky > Lanky > Funky > Chunky > Dixie > DK Jr. > Jumpman > Pauline
fixed ;)
I think Chunky has also much potential, just look at his moves from DK64. There are more things I can think of right away(throwing rocks, getting huge, shooting pineapples, the triangle, his burp, his slap with one flat hand) than I can in Dixie's case.

I'll just touch on the "main three contenders." K. Rool has his crown toss (projectile or ranged trap), crown for spiky headbutts or jabs, golden stomach for belly flops or super armor, cannonball rain, playing dead, Kredits, blunderbuss dash, blunderbuss vacuum, regular cannonball (shot as one-time item or as reusable projectile), spiked cannonball (shot as one-item item or as reusable projectile), freezing clouds, movement-slowing clouds, control-reversing clouds, invisibility, a helicopter pack, electric pods, KAOS, green shockwaves, boxing gloves, his Blast-O-Matic, Klaptraps, and general crocodile attacks (chomps, tail whips, The Death Rool). I may have missed a few things along the way from the Paon games.

Cranky has his generic denture projectile and high bounce from Tropical Freeze, props from Donkey Kong arcade, and most importantly (and also rarely mentioned), potions from his DK64 days (giving him status effects to place on foes or himself, like growth or shrinkage, or maybe poison damage). He can also...hit you with a cane.

Dixie can use her hair!! It's a conical hitbox, like Yoshi's tail attacks, but on every move! And her Bubble Gun, dramatically altered so as to stick to opponents and not be a generic projectile. And a command grab, which for some reason is floated as a special and not a regular grab like Donkey Kong's identical one. And...other props, like a juice box!!
Good points you made. Also your ideas on Crankys moveset potential are great with the different potions from DK64. Nice idea, would definitely like to see him using his potions during battles.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Good point about Chunky's attacks, I somehow missed the boulder and belching parts in my analysis of him. That, and upon reflection, his attacks might be similar to DK's, but you never see Chunky running around on all fours, so they'd have that difference in stature as well. I guess we'll find out in SSB10 or whatever.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
I chose Cranky Kong. Having the OG Donkey Kong beat the bajesus out of them young wipper-snappers would be awesome!

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
King K. Rool is definitely my pick. He has the most moveset potential than many characters could ever even DREAM of having.

Plus, he's just freaking awesome.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Paper Mario, but everyone can be unique. I think him, as well as Fawful, just are obviously unique.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I am back.
The thread is not dead.
I took down the DK votes, and the winners are K. Rool and Dixie!

I will bring up the next vote soon!

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Unique Mario characters?

First Geno. Detachable fists and cannons and star guns and destructo discs and ****.

Then Mallow. Stretchy arms and weather and cymbals.

Why aren't these two on the poll?

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Unique Mario characters?

First Geno. Detachable fists and cannons and star guns and destructo discs and ****.

Then Mallow. Stretchy arms and weather and cymbals.

Why aren't these two on the poll?
The poll is over.
We did both Mario Donkey Kong polls.
Next I believe we are doing Wario or Yoshi.

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
Please put Captain Syrup in the Wario poll. And whenever you do the Yoshi poll, I'd be happy to see Kamek.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
REVIVE!!!!!
Sorry about leaving this thread.
I will have the next poll up momentarily!

EDIT: I'm just going to tag the users who participated in this thread before.
@ Fortanono Fortanono @ PigmaskColonel PigmaskColonel @ SmasherMaster SmasherMaster @ Vann Accessible Vann Accessible @ Morbi Morbi @ Shorts Shorts @ Diddy Kong Diddy Kong @ Kenith Kenith @ Nintendotard Nintendotard @ BKupa666 BKupa666 @ Kon Kon @ YoshiandToad YoshiandToad @ Mega Dunsparce Mega Dunsparce @ Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy @ Koopaul Koopaul @ SuperBrawler SuperBrawler @ Forcerounds Forcerounds @ 3Bismyname 3Bismyname @ Protom Protom

THE NEW POLL IS OPEN!
Yoshi Newcomer Poll
Well I only got 2 votes on the poll, so I am going to leave it open for one more week.
I'll also tag the people just one more time, to hopefully gain attention to the thread.
@ Fortanono Fortanono @ PigmaskColonel PigmaskColonel @ SmasherMaster SmasherMaster @ Vann Accessible Vann Accessible @ Morbi Morbi @ Shorts Shorts @ Diddy Kong Diddy Kong @ Kenith Kenith @ Nintendotard Nintendotard @ BKupa666 BKupa666 @ Kon Kon @ YoshiandToad YoshiandToad @ Mega Dunsparce Mega Dunsparce @ Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy @ Koopaul Koopaul @ SuperBrawler SuperBrawler @ Forcerounds Forcerounds @ 3Bismyname 3Bismyname @ Protom Protom

EDIT: Oops, just realized I double-posted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom