• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Character Uniqueness Discussion Thread

Who would be the most unique Mario series newcomer?

• Bowser Jr.

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • Paper Mario

Votes: 41 51.9%
  • Daisy

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Fawful

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Birdo

Votes: 5 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
The Character Uniqueness Discussion Thread!

I have said this many times, but for people who never heard me, I'll say it again.
Sakurai seems to have a certain outlook when choosing newcomers for each Super Smash Bros. game.

In Smash 64, he chose the main characters of the big series and 1 more character for the two biggest series.

In Melee he wanted to bring in the other main characters of the series already represented in Smash 64, (and bring in another main series, Fire Emblem) whether they were clones or not.

In Brawl he brought in more recent characters to those series (as we see in Lucas, Lucario, and Ike), as well as main characters or the Kirby series, and two third party characters.

Now in the upcoming Super Smash Bros. For WiiU/3DS, it appears that he is looking for unique characters with a lot of potential, as shown in all 4 of the announced newcomers (Villager, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer, and Rosalina & Luma).
It even shows that a character doesn't have to have ever fought to be considered unique.

So I made this thread to specifically discuss the uniqueness of potential newcomers, and also changes made to past veterans to make them more unique.
We are also making a roster baseed on uniqueness polls I am posting here.

So start discussing, and please lend your vote to the poll below!

Status of Uniqueness Roster Voting
Unique Voting Roster Roster.png

(The Sonic icon is a placeholder for another third party newcomer.)

We are currently voting on the Yoshi Series Newcomer:
Yoshi Newcomer Poll

THE POLL AT THE TOP OF THIS THREAD IS OUTDATED, DO NOT VOTE ON IT!!
THOSE RESULTS WILL NOT BE RECORDED!!!

So let's start to discuss, and please input your votes!

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
..I don't think this is going to end well.

James92

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jgrim92
I'm going with Bowser Jr., but only if his moveset is based on his appearance in Super Mario Sunshine. That would give him a Shadow Mario transformation and various attacks using the paintbrush. If he had a New Super Mario Bros. based moveset, he would most likely end up being a more lightweight Bowser clone.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
I said Paper Mario.
And I don't think Dr. Mario should be considered since he is proven NOT to be unique.
By me:
Dr. Mario Moveset

Neutral Special: Megavitamins. Dr. Mario throws a Megavitamin like in Melee. It is a little slower than Mario's Fireballs, but does more damage. Deals 8%.

Side Special: Virus. Dr. Mario throws a virus, they cling onto the opponent and do damage. The Fever viruses do fire damage, the Chill viruses do freeze damage, and the Weird viruses make you slower.

Up Special: Stethoscope. Dr. Mario throws his Stethoscope upwards as as tether recovery. Deals 11%

Down Special: Jar. Dr. Mario pulls out a jar from the game, except it isn't filled with viruses. He can pick up a projectile in it, when he presses Down B again, he throws it.

Final Smash: Pill Rain. Dr. Mario makes pills rain from the sky, hitting everyone.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
As for my personal vote, I chose Fawful, because he is awesome.
He could use technology, such as his vacuum, his hover pad thing, and a ray gun.
He could also use dark magic via the Dark Star.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Kewl. Will it be Zelda or Donkey Kong? If former, will Ghirahim be included? I know I'm not his only supporter, just the most diligent.

We've got Peach and Rosalina already.
It will be Donkey Kong, and yes, Ghirahim will be in the Zelda vote when we get to it.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Likewise. And doesn't likeness factor into a character's uniqueness? If she's not unique to begin with, giving her a unique moveset seems wasteful.
This is not about likeliness at all.
This is who would have a unique playstyle/move set.

Likeliness doesn't really factor in the way I'm doing it.

Fortanono

Smash Ace
You know what? Daisy doesn't earn my vote this time. That is because while she is my favorite Mario character, and my 2nd most wanted newcomer for Smash, she's not very unique. Instead, I chose Petey Piranha, since I think he could be really unique.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
ATTENTION!!!
Due to me not being able to edit the polls here, I made a new poll on Google Docs.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Z3_qZISNh9-pJjxwmqdHtqJRtnDno2HSnK0_ldrkFcE/edit
Here it is, recast your votes please, as the poll at the top of this page is outdated and will not count.
Um, you can vote more than once. Don't count 3 of the votes because I tested out if you can vote more than once.

Oh, I meant the votes for Paper Mario.

My bad, sorry about that.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Unique Voting Roster Roster.png

Here is the roster we will be voting on.
I should proably explain a few things so I don't look insane.

1. Yes, I know the roster is big and has a whopping 62 characters. This is fine, as I stated before, we are not voting likeliness. I am also making a more realistic version, that will have less characters than this, which I will post later.

2. Don't worry, we don't have Diskun, Takamaru, a second Sonic character, and 3 Shulks on the roster, thos are just placeholders.
Diskun is a placeholder for an obscure WTF retro, like Mr. Game & Watch or R.O.B.
Takmaru is placeholder for a normal retro character, like Ice Climbers and Pit.
The 3 Shulks are placeholders for miscellaneous or 'Other" characters, that represent series not already in Smash Bros.
and the Sonic Logo is a placeholder for another 3rd party characters.

And also, since this is unrealistic, please tell me if you feel a certain series should have more representation, or there should be more slots on the roster.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I like this thread. I think you're going to have a hard time getting people to not vote on who they want more, rather than putting all personal feelings for the characters aside and judging uniqueness alone, but it's worth trying out anyhow.

It was a relatively hard choice for me amid the Mario choices, and it eventually came down to Paper Mario, Petey, Fawful, and King Boo. I ultimately chose King Boo, because he has so many great options from his boss fights, ranging from Boo creation and manipulation, general invisibility, levitation, materializing of objects, and possible possession, and having the most unique stature, constantly floating off of the ground.

Petey and Fawful have a diverse collection of attacks and gadgets, respectively, of their own, so they're probably interchangeable between second and third, while Paper Mario might have been higher before Rosalina, but the fact that she already uses a puppetmaster gimmick leads me to look less fondly upon Paper Mario's helpers. Otherwise, Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings have too much semi-clone potential, Waluigi would be yet another prop abuser, E. Gadd's most prominent weapons have functions already seen in Smash, same with Birdo's few attacks, and the rest are self-explanatorily disregarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom