• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Center Stage

Alien Vision

Smash Ace

I feel like a large reason for the recent sudden burst of activity in these parts is due to Battlecow's efforts. I personally like the guy and he's not afraid to bring forth new ideas and support them, which is always nice.
Just because BC gave life to many different ideas, does not automatically give him the ability to redeem any respect he lost. He needs to stop insulting people directly.

Let me give you an example: I don't care if a parent gave birth to a kid, and nurtured them while holding 6 jobs to ****ing keep the family together. I would still only respect the parent for the hardwork they put into holding their family together, but if they were to have a rotten attitude, they would lose all credibility as a person.

People in this world only seem to look at the good things, or the bad things in this world. Never is it both.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
^You're right, Battlecow could be a little more tactful here.

I don't really take his attacks all that seriously, but he is an interesting character which is why I like him.

Edit: How'd that double post happen? o_o

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
^You're right, Battlecow could be a little more tactful here.

I don't really take his attacks all that seriously, but he is an interesting character which is why I like him.

Edit: How'd that double post happen? o_o
I agree. He is a very powerful character. I want him to ****ing learn the most important aspect of life though. To understand how to respect people around him instead of dumping them in this inferiority box he created. I want to see his full potential as a debater, and as a person.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
LOL, good luck changing Battlecow. The "most important aspect of life" is hardly set in stone.

He's alright. Once you learn how to deal with him he's actually a likeable guy. This is coming from an Australian, Japanese-culture-loving person whom clearly is incompatible with a lot of viewpoints that he holds.

The more you take his insults seriously the bigger the reaction you're going to get off him.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
LOL, good luck changing Battlecow. The "most important aspect of life" is hardly set in stone.

He's alright. Once you learn how to deal with him he's actually a likeable guy. This is coming from an Australian, Japanese-culture-loving person whom clearly is incompatible with a lot of viewpoints that he holds.

The more you take his insults seriously the bigger the reaction you're going to get off him.
Then, him and I have something in common. We don't give a damn what people say about us because we will destroy them with our impenetrable walls of text.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I agree. He is a very powerful character. I want him to ****ing learn the most important aspect of life though. To understand how to respect people around him instead of dumping them in this inferiority box he created. I want to see his full potential as a debater, and as a person.
But the reason why you think he's such a powerful character is because he shows little respect for those around him. That's what makes him stand out.

I've seen his type before so he's not a particularly powerful or intriguing character to me. The only thing about him that slightly intrigues me is that he comes across as cynical, yet at the same time is so patriotic to America. Often those two don't go hand-in-hand.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
But the reason why you think he's such a powerful character is because he shows little respect for those around him. That's what makes him stand out.

I've seen his type before so he's not a particularly powerful or intriguing character to me. The only thing about him that slightly intrigues me is that he comes across as cynical, yet at the same time is so patriotic to America. Often those two don't go hand-in-hand.
The reason why he is such a powerful character to me, is because he shows alot of ambition in what he believes in. He just doesn't know how to come around to a full circle as a debater. You don't need to insult people needlessly.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Firstly, people bomb buildings because of ambition in what they believe in, that's not always an admirable trait. There's a fine line between strong conviction and just being narrow-minded. I'm not passing judgement on whether he's narrow-minded or not, just making the point that persistence in what you believe isn't always a virtue.

Who am I insulting? I didn't say anything bad about him at all. It's bit unfair to accuse me of insulting someone if I don't find them powerful or intrguing, because very few people have ever inspired or intrigued me. Are you going to say I'm insulting the whole world by not being intrigued by them individually?

As for insulting people needlessly, Battlecow has posted in two of my threads just saying "Dre is wrong", which is a needless insult that I ignored. I don't have anything against him, I find him entertaining/amusing.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
Firstly, people bomb buildings because of ambition in what they believe in, that's not always an admirable trait. There's a fine line between strong conviction and just being narrow-minded. I'm not passing judgement on whether he's narrow-minded or not, just making the point that persistence in what you believe isn't always a virtue.
Are you really going to make that argument? You already explained it yourself. Narrow-minded and opinionated agendas that are backed up by blind ambition are irrelevant. It's not even the ambition that makes them commit the actions. Ambition is only a catalyst for adrenaline. Anyways, it's the fact he is using his ambition as he is now is what I respect. He is voicing his opinions. Wait, isn't bombing a building narrow-minded?
See the paradox in your post? I digress.

Who am I insulting? I didn't say anything bad about him at all. It's bit unfair to accuse me of insulting someone if I don't find them powerful or intrguing, because very few people have ever inspired or intrigued me. Are you going to say I'm insulting the whole world by not being intrigued by them individually?
Oh man. Sorry about that misconception. I wasn't referring to you. I was just saying. ''You'' as in generalizing that nobody has to insult anyone. Again, I apologize.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
loling at this discussion.

stop taking battlecow (and yourself) so seriously. if he bothers you that much, then block him, but you're getting worked up over something you shouldn't be.

also: alien vision, for the love of all things that are aesthetically pleasing, please change your font color.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
it does, but you aren't reading my avatar. it's very different when you are actively trying to read something that clashes terribly.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
it does, but you aren't reading my avatar. it's very different when you are actively trying to read something that clashes terribly.
That is true, but isn't there three options you could make good use of?

1. Magnifying glass.

2. I am sure there is an option you can turn off so you can't see text with colours.

3. Highlight it.

Atleast I am not Tesh, and force you to highlight every single thing I say because my colour camouflages with the background.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Battlecow is patriotic, sure, but he makes very solid arguments. I like reading his posts.

Battlecow

Play to Win
You're right. The barwl thing had no place in that argument. It was poor debating, and I take it back.

That said, I don't acknowledge that blazed is a "solid debater" or whatever. Saying that his arguments and posting style were childish would be doing him a great favor.

RE dre I don't see myself as cynical. I have lots of respect for certain faiths and faith traditions; I'm only "cynical" about your attempts to logically prove the existence of god (or the logical attempts which I assume were a precursor to such attempted proofs). My "dre is wrong" posts were just a weigh-in because everyone else had already chimed in with a different yet beautiful facet of just why you were wrong.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
It's cool, I think we can all move on.

I still support your admission to the DH, but we'll let some more Smash Debaters weigh in before it's official.

btw guys i will judge and likely +1 anyone who argues in a formal debate concerning battlecow

bonus: getting quoted evidence on him is ezpz
lol actually this'd be great. someone make a topic on battlecow or if you want go deeper and make a topic on respect on the internet or interpersonal relations online or some such thing.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
BC- I didn't think you were cynical because of what you said in my threads, I don't interpret anyone who disagrees with me as cynical. It was your posting style in general, but whatevs.

:phone:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I would like ciaza to debate Battlecow with the topic:

'Battlecow has shown enough debating merit in his posts to be allowed into the Debate Hall main forum'

ciaza argues affirmative
Battlecow argues negative :troll:

This is not a joke, despite the trollface.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
that would be the best debate in the history of mankind.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Could we not use signatures, I failed to comprehend the last 2 pages simply because my brain couldn't handle the fact that 90% of what I saw was not relevant to what I wanted to see.

Just sayin'.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Yeah, I thought signatures weren't allowed in here? Otherwise I'd be rockin' the Steve Rogers after every long post.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
User CP >> Edit Options >> Visible Post Elements >> Show Signatures >> Save Changes.

... Then you put an obnoxiously large and flashy signature that shows up every time you post. But you won't be affected by it... :troll:

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
Could we not use signatures, I failed to comprehend the last 2 pages simply because my brain couldn't handle the fact that 90% of what I saw was not relevant to what I wanted to see.

Just sayin'.
sorry, sometimes I forget to turn it off.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I would like ciaza to debate Battlecow with the topic:

'Battlecow has shown enough debating merit in his posts to be allowed into the Debate Hall main forum'

ciaza argues affirmative
Battlecow argues negative :troll:

This is not a joke, despite the trollface.
I made this joke like 3 months ago, but with the topic
America: Greatest Country?

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Alright. My main contention for this argument is that sans blatant breaking of the SWF Global Rules the only criterion for admittance to the Debate Hall should be debating ability.

Is Battlecow a troll? No. A troll by definition is someone who sets out to provoke an emotional response from his targets. Battlecow is just a contrarian. Challenging the norms of morality and standard viewpoints, he often ruffles many feathers. Couple this with his ruthlessness and he can come across a very unlikeable person. However being an unlikeable person should not be reason to deny access to the coveted Debate Hall alone.

His posts have structure and his points not only valid but logically follow too. The icing on the cake being that he has very firm grasp of the English language and knows how to use his extended vocabulary to get his points across. I shall analyse one of his threads.

OK, so, my other topics are kind of winding down, so I thought I'd float an idea that I just had to you guys. It's still very tentative, but I think it has merit.

Let me preface this by saying that I am not Jewish. I'm your basic WASP male. Also, I would like to add two requests:

1. READ THE THREAD, INCLUDING THE ENTIRE OP, CAREFULLY BEFORE POSTING

2. Please approach this with a fresh mind. Don't label it racism blindly, without first considering what I say.
First of all, he encourages you to be unbiased. He wants you to empathise with him, and approach this with an open perspective. Another reason why he is much more than a troll. Battlecow invites you to not get irritated but rather to look at his perspective with an open mind.

Note also that I am talking about Jews as an ethnic group, not a religion. Also note that, unless I obviously mean it to, no statement herein applies to all Jews. I'm speaking about them generally; there will be many, many exceptions.

Now, let's consider the Jews. Jewish stereotypes abound, as do Jews who break all of those stereotypes and live their own cool, unique lives. This being said, what no one talks about is how goddamn successful those Jewish mother****ers are. I mean, not all of 'em, but an astounding proportion of the *******s. OK, so maybe they haven't produced many great athletes, but lemme break out some statistics that I just googled for you:

-Jews have won 52% of all pulitzer prizes in non-fiction, 38% of all US National Medal of Science awards, and 20% of ALL nobel prizes. 47% of world chess champions have been Jewish.

-About .002% of the world population is Jewish.

Now, granted, 45% of those guys makes up 2.1% of the US population, and (this is a simple fact, but I'm sure many of you will see it as your duty to disagree with it) that gives them a natural advantage, because the US is clearly culturally superior to the rest of the world in most measurable ways. Still, they're successful even by US standards.

"(24%) of Jewish adults 18 years of age and older has received a graduate degree, and 55% have earned at least a bachelor’s degree... The current comparable numbers for non-Jews [in the US] are 5% and 28%."

"The median household income of the Jewish population is about $50,000, which is higher than the approximately $42,000 median for all U.S. households reported by the Census Bureau. A fifth (19%) of all Jewish households are low income, defined as $25,000 or less per year, compared to 29% among all U.S. households."

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/US-Israel/ujcpop.html is where I got those from.
While avoiding making blanket-statements, he shows his reasoning that it may be no coincidence that a very large number of a particular ethnicity share a common trait. After making his opening statements, he presents a comprehensive list of raw, stone-cold statistics upon which he draws logical conclusions to back up his previous words. He also gives a URL linking back to where he got these sources from. Raw data, sources, and logical conclusions. This is hard evidence that he is sound debater, even if his views deviate heavily from the large majority of people. Not only does he debate his own points well, he attacks aggressively at opponent's counter-points with an unwavering will. This is best evinced in his to-and-fro with the veteran ballin4life, who just so happens to be his real-life friend, showing that even personal friendships play no part in the war-zone of debate.

Linking back to my main contention, the occasional insult aside, to call Battlecow a troll is heavily off the target. He possesses all the necessary qualities of a sound debater as well as the articulacy to take on near any opponent on any topic that takes his interest. I see people who have not shown strong debating capabilities get +1'd within the Jedi Council, whereas people like Battlecow get brushed aside. Soon the Debate Hall will be re-named the: "Congratulations! you're mature, have an attention span of more than 5 minutes, and are not completely ********!".

Battlecow has created numerous topics and debated intensely within each one, much more in comparison to myself. Unless there is hard proof that he does not have good prowess as a debater there should be no reason as to why he should not get +1'd.

I'm incredibly sorry if I haven't done you justice Battlecow, I had limited time to pull this up but I really wanted to get to this today. I will attack your no-doubt harsh rebuttal hard.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Oh my. Ciaza, your efforts to gain battlecow admission into the DH are admirable- but doomed to fail. You brought up his "Jews: A Master Race?" topic in order to prove that he wasn't trolling.

Now look at that title again.

"Master Race"? "Jews"? That's a less-than-subtle attempt to piss off people with "subconscious" (but obvious) Nazi vibes. It's childish; such behavior has no place in the Debate Hall.

Also, what about that "Road to Damascus" post in the PG social thread? Did you think that one was serious? Lol if so.

Juvenile trolling aside, let's tackle the actual issue of his debating.

You say: "His posts have structure and his points not only valid but logically follow too"

Minor grammatical error there, obviously, but that's not the point. Is this really all we require from our debaters these days? That should be a given. Anyone with a high school education and fifteen minutes of time ought to be able to make structured posts with valid, logical points. Battlecow hits the baseline; whoopee.

His vocabulary isn't all that impressive either, frankly, and even if it was- the obvious argument, one that any middle school jock could and would make, is that big words don't make an argument any more compelling. If his point is communicated clearly, that's nice, but most points in the PG are, and what really matters is the substance of his arguments. Take a look-see here:

I operate under the same guidelines as everyone else; that's why people drive faster than the speed limit. Democracy isn't divine or omnipotent, nor are laws perfectly tailored to fit me. I support democracy in every way it's meant to be supported- it's not like I'm picking and choosing how it should apply in a way that subverts or perverts it.

The status quo's pretty good. We have it pretty good in America. There are improvements to be made, of course, and potential policy changes that could have a massive impact for good or ill (I'm still not sure that you're wrong about the drug thing, for example). I don't think the status quo's god; I'm simply observing it in an unbiased way and noticing that it wouldn't be greatly improved by anarchy or any of its close relatives.
He's been caught in a clever trap by ballin4life. If he admits that he would break the law if he found it to be too inconvenient, his argument that more and stricter laws suffers a serious blow. If he says he'd stop playing video games if they were banned, he comes off as far too stuffy. His response? Incredibly vague and vacuous *****footing. That entire second paragraph comes down to "Things are good now, why change them?" Surely you can see how stupid that argument is; it could easily have been used in the Renaissance, or the 1950s, or whenever. Instead of arguing the point, he makes a clumsy stab at ballin's opinions using the buzzword "anarchy." He also backs down on the drug issue- something he'd been fiercely arguing with ballin' about just days earlier. Now he's retreating like a Frenchman.

Or you could take a look at his response in the "Hacktivism" thread. Now, I happen to agree with battlecow on this one, but his post is definitely not debate-hall material. There's no support whatsoever, for one thing. But the tone is the real killer. He comes off as totally pissed-off, a crotchety old man who wants these damn kids off of his lawn. He's supporting the status quo, he's angry, he's not arguing logically- he's showing exactly the kind of reaction that anonymous and their idiotic supporters love, because it makes him look hidebound, close-minded, and unwilling to accept change.

Or what about his responses in Dre's threads? He tried to cover them up later with a "just chipping in," but the tone was obviously sardonic. There's no need for someone that hateful. You have to be willing to argue it out, no matter how dumb the argument is. As my grandmother used to say: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

No, all in all, the guy would be a detriment to the DH. If he did bring "activity" (something I'm inclined to doubt, seeing as a whole ****load of other people came in at the same time, and most of the "activity" relating to him was people telling him to shut up because he was stupid) to the PG, it shouldn't matter. You need quality contributions to the discussion- and I've yet to see a single one of those from battlecow.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Oh my. Ciaza, your efforts to gain battlecow admission into the DH are admirable- but doomed to fail. You brought up his "Jews: A Master Race?" topic in order to prove that he wasn't trolling.

Now look at that title again.

"Master Race"? "Jews"? That's a less-than-subtle attempt to piss off people with "subconscious" (but obvious) Nazi vibes. It's childish; such behavior has no place in the Debate Hall.

Also, what about that "Road to Damascus" post in the PG social thread? Did you think that one was serious? Lol if so.
I've known you for quite a while now, one of your characteristics has been the ability to get under people's skin without technically doing anything wrong. You can't take your title out of context. While at first glance your title may appear to be misleading, within your opening post you justified the title with sound reasoning and facts. This is akin to what news articles do, that is creating an interesting title that catches the readers attention that will go on to make the members read your opening post with complete focus. A smart move to say the least.

Battle "Debate Hall-Worthy" Cow said:
Juvenile trolling aside, let's tackle the actual issue of his debating.

You say: "His posts have structure and his points not only valid but logically follow too"

Minor grammatical error there, obviously, but that's not the point. Is this really all we require from our debaters these days? That should be a given. Anyone with a high school education and fifteen minutes of time ought to be able to make structured posts with valid, logical points. Battlecow hits the baseline; whoopee.
In a word, yes:

"The way we handle Debate Hall admissions is a little different. We essentially have a trial room, the Proving Grounds. This is where potential Debaters "prove" that they are capable of debating at a level that would make them good candidates for the actual Debate Hall. This is to ensure a certain level of quality of discussion in the Debate Hall. Don't worry, it's not like we have super-high standards and expect you to be perfect in every way or something. As long as you are reasonably capable of debating and forming coherent sentences and arguments, you'll be let in. If we believe you're not ready for the Debate Hall, you'll be allowed to remain in the Proving Grounds to develop your skills until you are ready for the Debate Hall."
- GoldShadow, How to Get Posting Rights in the Debate Hall

Whether you think lowly of the requirements to meet the DH standard or not, the fact is you have met them. You cherry-pick one argument against ballin in which you're in trouble. I haven't read every single post of yours within these boards, but merely by having a quick thread of most of your threads you countered nigh any point thrown at you, with substance. Your track record speaks for itself, missing one basketball shot but making the other 99 is a damn good ratio. I realise saying that you're good enough is not much, but really, have a read of the abortion thread. You have innumerable posts with substance. Of course, every post with substance can still be countered, but that's not the point here.

I see you speak in the third person here. Trying to follow in malva's footsteps as he claims that Isai and malva are two, unrelated people is admirable, but still flawed. It may seem trivial but the bottom line is that you are the same person. This is important because in your argument you publicly admitted to being wrong in a point. The ability to concede a point in a debate is a golden characteristic that very few possess. It's irrelevant that you conceded that point here in this thread specifically, all that matters is that you did concede. You've done a lot more than hit the baseline now, buddy.

Or you could take a look at his response in the "Hacktivism" thread. Now, I happen to agree with battlecow on this one, but his post is definitely not debate-hall material. There's no support whatsoever, for one thing. But the tone is the real killer. He comes off as totally pissed-off, a crotchety old man who wants these damn kids off of his lawn. He's supporting the status quo, he's angry, he's not arguing logically- he's showing exactly the kind of reaction that anonymous and their idiotic supporters love, because it makes him look hidebound, close-minded, and unwilling to accept change.

Or what about his responses in Dre's threads? He tried to cover them up later with a "just chipping in," but the tone was obviously sardonic. There's no need for someone that hateful. You have to be willing to argue it out, no matter how dumb the argument is. As my grandmother used to say: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."
I am more than happy to concede that your articulacy is irreverent to debating ability, however in doing so you would have to also concede that the tone of your posts is just as irrelevant. You said it yourself, the only this that matters in substance. Support isn't always everything. Of course, placing arguments upon hard data is a great way to support an argument, but no essential. As your good friend aa said: "An argument can be comprised of statements, you just have to debunk them in a way that discredits said statements and forces him to respond. " I can go around asking for sources willy-nilly in debates, but that's hardly practical. You haven't been given sufficient reason to back yourself up in the hacktivism thread, so you shouldn't have to. Just like I wouldn't have to go around finding sources if someone asked me to back up the claim that water is made of 2 Hydrogen and one Oxygen particles.

As far as your posts go in Dre.'s thread, you're a learner. As in, I like to pretend that everyone in PG can be equated to someone on their L-plates as they being to learn how to drive. You admit now that what you did was wrong, you learned form it and I haven't see you do it again since. Not only have you grown as a debater, you're growing as a person. Of course, I would not at all be surprised if tomorrow I awake to see that you have done that again out of spite or to prove me wrong.

No, all in all, the guy would be a detriment to the DH. If he did bring "activity" (something I'm inclined to doubt, seeing as a whole ****load of other people came in at the same time, and most of the "activity" relating to him was people telling him to shut up because he was stupid) to the PG, it shouldn't matter. You need quality contributions to the discussion- and I've yet to see a single one of those from battlecow.
I hope in my previous arguments I've shown you otherwise. Not only that, but you've being a major catalyst in the revival of the PG, thanks to your contrarian nature and numerous threads. You're the CM Punk to the WWE. There's no reason to see why you wouldn't create a spark in the Debate Hall.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I've known you for quite a while now, one of your characteristics has been the ability to get under people's skin without technically doing anything wrong. You can't take your title out of context. While at first glance your title may appear to be misleading, within your opening post you justified the title with sound reasoning and facts. This is akin to what news articles do, that is creating an interesting title that catches the readers attention that will go on to make the members read your opening post with complete focus. A smart move to say the least.
The point was still to provoke, yes? To make people angry? Isn't that the definition of trolling?

In a word, yes:

"The way we handle Debate Hall admissions is a little different. We essentially have a trial room, the Proving Grounds. This is where potential Debaters "prove" that they are capable of debating at a level that would make them good candidates for the actual Debate Hall. This is to ensure a certain level of quality of discussion in the Debate Hall. Don't worry, it's not like we have super-high standards and expect you to be perfect in every way or something. As long as you are reasonably capable of debating and forming coherent sentences and arguments, you'll be let in. If we believe you're not ready for the Debate Hall, you'll be allowed to remain in the Proving Grounds to develop your skills until you are ready for the Debate Hall."
- GoldShadow, How to Get Posting Rights in the Debate Hall
Oh please- don't quote that as if it's scripture. Whatever the intention was, the members of the Debate hall have now made it quite clear that a certain level of dignity and composure is expected along with the modicum of debating talent that's necessary. May I remind you that Goldshadow himself took serious issue with me? And if the formal requirements for DHsmanship are low enough that someone of my merits meets them, they frankly need to be revised. Goldshadow probably said that to encourage nervous but not unintelligent newbies to post- not to allow pretentious, abrasive, utterly idiotic c*cksuckers like me in just because I can (you claim) formulate basic arguments. Take-home point here: That was a throwaway sentence by Goldshadow, made with an entirely different poster than me in mind.

Whether you think lowly of the requirements to meet the DH standard or not, the fact is you have met them. You cherry-pick one argument against ballin in which you're in trouble. I haven't read every single post of yours within these boards, but merely by having a quick thread of most of your threads you countered nigh any point thrown at you, with substance. Your track record speaks for itself, missing one basketball shot but making the other 99 is a damn good ratio. I realise saying that you're good enough is not much, but really, have a read of the abortion thread. You have innumerable posts with substance. Of course, every post with substance can still be countered, but that's not the point here.
First of all, spell "realize" the proper way, Aussie scum. Secondly, I disagree about the "posts-with-substance." You SAY that my track record speaks for itself- but in reality, every post I make is just as damning as the one I pointed out earlier. Do you need more examples?

**** is used more seldomly, and socially, it carries heavier implications. Also, our usage of the word is linked to the act in a way that our usage of "murdered" really isn't (I can't prove that, of course, it's just gut etymology). No one outside of smash would use "****" in the way we do.

Anyways, like I said in the OP, I get the "words are as bad as you make them" perspective, but in terms of image? Come on. It's just not gonna appeal to outsiders. We're making ourselves look repulsive.
Look at this steaming pile of bull puckey. First off, I make a claim, and then I admit that I can't prove it. Using "my gut" as a source? Am I a debater, or am I George W. Bush? Then I fall back on the "image" perspective- a strong argument, perhaps, but one that I butcher. I say that it won't appeal "to outsiders" as if proselytizing is the main goal of the smash community, and I fail to come up with reasons for why one should alter the unique and rich vocabulary of our vibrant community so as not to offend Philistine outsiders who probably hate us for playing video games in the first place.

I see you speak in the third person here. Trying to follow in malva's footsteps as he claims that Isai and malva are two, unrelated people is admirable, but still flawed. It may seem trivial but the bottom line is that you are the same person. This is important because in your argument you publicly admitted to being wrong in a point. The ability to concede a point in a debate is a golden characteristic that very few possess. It's irrelevant that you conceded that point here in this thread specifically, all that matters is that you did concede. You've done a lot more than hit the baseline now, buddy.
Oh, get off of my ****. Weren't you the one disgusted at the fact that a simple apology could earn someone a spot in the debate hall? How is a criticism of oneself- when the entire point of your side of the debate is to critique yourself- grounds for admittance? I have yet to show any measure of actual self-awareness; I'm merely picking at trivial points in an effort to make myself look good by being willing to critique myself. It's all a (poorly) calculated effort to gain admittance into the DH- something any sane man would have recognized as an impossibility by now.

I am more than happy to concede that your articulacy is irreverent to debating ability, however in doing so you would have to also concede that the tone of your posts is just as irrelevant. You said it yourself, the only this that matters in substance. Support isn't always everything. Of course, placing arguments upon hard data is a great way to support an argument, but no essential. As your good friend aa said: "An argument can be comprised of statements, you just have to debunk them in a way that discredits said statements and forces him to respond. " I can go around asking for sources willy-nilly in debates, but that's hardly practical. You haven't been given sufficient reason to back yourself up in the hacktivism thread, so you shouldn't have to. Just like I wouldn't have to go around finding sources if someone asked me to back up the claim that water is made of 2 Hydrogen and one Oxygen particles.
Being a **** is grounds for being disallowed. The current DH members believe this, as evidenced by their admirable votes against me. Being well-spoken- and I still don't acknowledge that I'm well-spoken- is not, as you've admitted grounds for being allowed.

As far as your posts go in Dre.'s thread, you're a learner. As in, I like to pretend that everyone in PG can be equated to someone on their L-plates as they being to learn how to drive. You admit now that what you did was wrong, you learned form it and I haven't see you do it again since. Not only have you grown as a debater, you're growing as a person. Of course, I would not at all be surprised if tomorrow I awake to see that you have done that again out of spite or to prove me wrong.
I don't know what L-plates are because I don't **** kangaroos and put shrimps on the barbie every Saturday during ****ing January, but I do know that if you get caught speeding with a learner's permit, they take that **** away until you're 18. Same should be applied here- I would argue that I'm so egregiously unfit for the Debate Hall that they should, in fact, revoke my PG membership for a year or two until I'm ready to take the metaphorical Drivers' test again.

I hope in my previous arguments I've shown you otherwise. Not only that, but you've being a major catalyst in the revival of the PG, thanks to your contrarian nature and numerous threads. You're the CM Punk to the WWE. There's no reason to see why you wouldn't create a spark in the Debate Hall.
I don't agree that I've been a major catalyst, as I've said before, and a contrarian nature is not necessarily a good thing. Whatever "spark" I created in the debate hall would be a spark of people telling me to shut up because I'm stupid.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Mother of Christ you certainly don't want to make my job easy do you?

The point was still to provoke, yes? To make people angry? Isn't that the definition of trolling?
Right, to provoke thought. I have a pretty good read on you. You didn't want to make people angry, all you wanted was to debate something wacky and controversial in a ridiculous but totally logical way. The title gave a good insight to what was to come.

Battlecow, if you're going to debate, you have to do better than "X number of people I know in my life exhibit Y behavior." Anecdotes do not an argument make.

Your preconceptions are stereotypes, and they're wrong. Are there gay people that act like what you've described? Sure. Are there tons that don't? You bet your ***.

Whether you want to believe it or not, such mannerisms are completely separate from sexual orientation. For example, did you know the "gay lisp" really has no scientific or biological backing? It's a culturally influenced, acquired habit; something that filters in because we've been bombarded by the media that gay people act and talk a certain way. There's no such thing; "they" talk the same way "we" do. Some of "them" perhaps acquire it for the aforementioned reasons.

In fact, you've probably met a lot of gay people in your daily life and not even realized it, because you've internalized the idea that if they're gay, they most likely look or act different. Being homosexual has nothing to do with that, and I suggest you do a little research before you continue making statements in this thread.
Whether he is right or wrong in this debate is completely irreverent for this point. What is relevant however is that he had nothing against you personally. The last line is pushing it, but it was just advice rather than "serious issue" as you exaggerated it to be. This is of course all the assumption that that was the post you were talking about, but it was one of the only two posts that showed up when I searched for your name in his posts.

Battlecow said:
First of all, spell "realize" the proper way, Aussie scum. Secondly, I disagree about the "posts-with-substance." You SAY that my track record speaks for itself- but in reality, every post I make is just as damning as the one I pointed out earlier. Do you need more examples?
Urgh, I really hate to bring up examples as I feel like they'll just spark the debate from where they came from in here, but hell. Click me. This is a fine example. CK makes the argument that the woman should take the egoistic stance of prioritising (yes I will spell that with an 's') herself before others. You analyse this post with detail, noting that he said "in every single regard". You capitalised on this by presenting the argument that there is no significant difference between a late-stage fetus and newborn baby. You did this with all his other points. That poorness is not always equated to happiness, that it'd be silly to remove people simply because they're poor, etc. I can do this with many more examples. Now, whether you refuted his points with a condescending tone, or gave an off-hand, arguable justifiable insult to BPC is your business. Of course, you obviously know your posts better than I do, and can tell me that that's not what you meant at all and I would have no chance to tell you otherwise I would look down-right silly trying to tell you what meant.

Battlecow said:
Oh, get off of my ****. Weren't you the one disgusted at the fact that a simple apology could earn someone a spot in the debate hall? How is a criticism of oneself- when the entire point of your side of the debate is to critique yourself- grounds for admittance? I have yet to show any measure of actual self-awareness; I'm merely picking at trivial points in an effort to make myself look good by being willing to critique myself. It's all a (poorly) calculated effort to gain admittance into the DH- something any sane man would have recognized as an impossibility by now.
The significant difference is that apologies aren't a sign of a good debater. The ability to concede a point is. I'm not at all saying that you should get +1'd for that and that alone, but it certainly should boost you a bit. Again, I really hate this. I can't prove that you actually conceded a point because you knew it was the right thing to do, and that it wasn't a devilish trick to make yourself look good.

Battlecow said:
Being a **** is grounds for being disallowed. The current DH members believe this, as evidenced by their admirable votes against me. Being well-spoken- and I still don't acknowledge that I'm well-spoken- is not, as you've admitted grounds for being allowed.
There is a distinction between being a ****, and making ****ish posts that are justified. I've never seen you go off at someone that wasn't based on reason. If you were an absolute tosser and just went around insulting people for no reason like Ballistics once did, then of course, you shouldn't allowed in. However to reiterate, his insulting posts had no grounding, yours do.

Battlecow said:
I don't know what L-plates are because I don't **** kangaroos and put shrimps on the barbie every Saturday during ****ing January, but I do know that if you get caught speeding with a learner's permit, they take that **** away until you're 18. Same should be applied here- I would argue that I'm so egregiously unfit for the Debate Hall that they should, in fact, revoke my PG membership for a year or two until I'm ready to take the metaphorical Drivers' test again.
You're just jealous because we have Milo and you've never experienced the heavenly flavour of it. Anyways an interesting point, and admittedly a bad analogy on my part.

Battlecow said:
I don't agree that I've been a major catalyst, as I've said before, but a contrarian nature is not necessarily a good thing. Whatever "spark" I created in the debate hall would be a spark of people telling me to shut up because I'm stupid.
Your bad self-efficacy aside, if people are telling you to shut-up they don't belong in the DH in the first place.

Bottom line is this: my main contention is that the only criterion for getting into the DH is debating ability. Through my quoted examples of your OP in the Jews thread, and your rebuttal against CK in the abortion thread I've proved this. I'm certainly not going to go through every single one of your posts, analyse it and show exactly why it was good. While you try to counter this by quoting posts of poor quality of your own this means very little, because you've already shown through your good posts you do have the skills to be a fine debater. So go ahead quote another one of your bad posts, quote 10! It won't matter, because even if you've only posted one or two good posts (which isn't the case), they're enough to show that you do have the talent to be a let in to the DH.

Top Bottom