• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Center Stage

NNID
Budget_Player
The reason there's no activity is that the DH'ers only want to debate with people they agree with. This presents an obvious logical problem- lack of interesting topics to debate. When someone new and different (and, dare I say, dashingly handsome and brilliant?) sweeps in, they persecute him and throw him out on his ear. Sigh.
...This (to a very minor extent) happened to Nicholas1024. No, you're not accepted because your threads are basically overly verbose trolling attempts. :glare:

Battlecow

Play to Win
I don't troll. I win arguments. Except for the death panels thread, you guys have yet to come up with a single solid rebuttal to any of the points I've made. It's a little maddening that I can't get anyone to debate seriously with me... and yet I'M the one who's accused of trolling.

And "overly verbose"? Please. I communicate my points in precise and meaningful language. I don't think it's impressive or praiseworthy, it's simply the most lucid way of communicating my points. I understand that this is an SSB forum, but even a lackwit like you should be able to tell the difference between someone using unwieldy language and big words for the **** of it, and someone who uses complex language because that's the best way to get their point across clearly to their fellow non-morons.

Battlecow

Play to Win
"How precise they may be put"

Bravo.

No, fifth-grade diction aside, I don't communicate solely in ad hominem attacks. I may dis a guy once or twice if he starts something, but y'all (obviously) do the same.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Didn't BPC used to troll the Brawl Stage forum? nah j/k you ok dude.

but I see no reason why we couldn't include him in the normal debate hall. at least based what I read from before he disappeared, and now that he's reappeared I have not read any of his new posts....

Theftz22

Smash Lord
Didn't BPC used to troll the Brawl Stage forum? nah j/k you ok dude.
Lol I remember having a huge debate in one of his threads. I just saw a title: Arguing Against Subjectivity and then I looked at it even though I never went in any of the brawl forums. I was like subjectivity is always right.:awesome:

eschemat

Smash Journeyman
Haha Battlecow is a cool guy. I want to debate him to get into the Debate Hall lol.

eschemat

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad you don't afraid of anything. :p

Sucumbio, I'd like to apply to be a Smash Debater and being able to discuss topics in the Debate Hall.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Apply in the USER CP under group memberships. Just like you did to join the PG.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
And "overly verbose"? Please. I communicate my points in precise and meaningful language. I don't think it's impressive or praiseworthy, it's simply the most lucid way of communicating my points. I understand that this is an SSB forum, but even a lackwit like you should be able to tell the difference between someone using unwieldy language and big words for the **** of it, and someone who uses complex language because that's the best way to get their point across clearly to their fellow non-morons.
Based on this paragraph, I'd say you fit the first type of person.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Nope. That paragraph was entirely intelligible and not at all florid. I'm quite proud of it, actually. You just jelly of ma carefully constructed and elegant prose.

I did use "point" like three times in the same way though. Owell, I was tired.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i had a post with a less wordy rendition of battlecow's post, but it got deleted

basically pointing out he failed to use the word 'succinct', which, ironically, is a more precise and meaningful way to say 'precise and meaningful'

tbh im ok with the way he posts

blazedaces

Smash Lord
philly, PA, aim: blazedaces, msg me and we'll play
i had a post with a less wordy rendition of battlecow's post, but it got deleted

basically pointing out he failed to use the word 'succinct', which, ironically, is a more precise and meaningful way to say 'precise and meaningful'

tbh im ok with the way he posts
I for one am not. Battlecow, you use too many insults in your posts and too many curse words for absolutely no reason. You need to relax and stop insulting people in every post. I'm not saying I've never done this but it's definitely not something I want to see as often. Please try to be kinder when responding to people, regardless of however much you don't respect their point of view.

It's especially discouraging of newcomers to the proving grounds.

-blazed

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Nope. That paragraph was entirely intelligible and not at all florid. I'm quite proud of it, actually. You just jelly of ma carefully constructed and elegant prose.

I did use "point" like three times in the same way though. Owell, I was tired.
Why don't you just type stuff? You shouldn't need the complexity of your word choice to define your intelligence, it should be the strength of your points that do that.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Why don't you just type stuff? You shouldn't need the complexity of your word choice to define your intelligence, it should be the strength of your points that do that.
I pretty much do just type. If I don't want to come off sounding like an idiot, that's my business.

Also, blazed, I'm guessing you're maybe 13-14 years old. Maybe you should lay off telling people about how great communism is for 5-6 years?

I took this:

You see most people belief something because it's what their family/friends/society has claimed. They don't think twice about it or question it. It is also my opinion that most extreme attitudes like "Communism was horrible. You know that, right? It caused incalculable suffering for millions upon millions upon millions of people. Communism spreading = more misery" stem from beliefs like this. There's no reasoning behind it. It's simply X=BAD because it's what people told me and I never thought twice about it.
As an insult, and I responded rather brusquely because of it. If you don't want your little ears to be stung by censored curse words, try not insulting people on the internet.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Ah well, so much for battlecow.

Aleate can join soon as we have a request, he has enough + votes.

Lord Chair needs some sort of support from another debater or two, I don't think he's gotten any official voice either way.

UPDATE:
BPC is back in. Officially speaking there is no verifiable explanation for what happened, it was issue caused by an update to the boards. It's possible that other PG members have lost their access. Quickest way I can think of to get you back in is to re-apply to the PG through your User CP and I'll approve your request. Thanks for you patience.

This is not an invitation for DH members prior to Dre. that lost PG rights due to the "old system" to apply for the PG. Your request will still be turned down.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
Lord Chair needs some sort of support from another debater or two, I don't think he's gotten any official voice either way.
Can someone link to two or three of the Chair's posts?

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Thanks for the consideration.

My intention was just to be able to have a chat whenever something comes to mind (like from work) or post if there's a topic out there that interests me. If it's okay that I just post occasionally and not browse the Debate Hall like a hawk, then I would like to request.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
lol perhaps I need to update the rules thread with an explanation on how to apply for Smash Debater once you're given the go ahead.

As you applied for the proving grounds so too do you apply for debater. Go into your user cp and request to join the group.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
BC, you may be able to use big words, and have a backbone to support your viewpoints. You don't have the common decency to understand the line between using cuss words to emphasise the power of your viewpoints and going as far as to insult people. People like you is what makes this world unmanagable. If people cannot respect everybody else's say regardless of their opinion, then we are all just the same in the end. We destroy each other never putting a stop to these ignorant flames.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Sigh. I hate to be -that guy- but being a moderator and all I guess I have to.

O wow. Just saw this. Now, I wouldn't want you to run away with the idea that I believe blindly.

See, when I said this, I assumed you already knew about the millions of people who died under the bat**** crazy dictatorships of Stalin and Mao. I didn't think I'd need to bring up the horrible suffering that your precious pet politics caused in Yugoslavia, Eastern Berlin, North Korea, and, oh yeah, every ****ing where else it was ever implemented.

My bad. I forgot that you were a Barwl kid.

sorry for the DP as well lol
After reading several posts by battlecow I finally came across one that seems to embody this general idea that's been formulated about him and his posting style. While I may find the language a bit distracting, I can forgive it and move on, as we all can. Word-censors aside we're adept at reading (or we wouldn't be members of a -message- board) and can easily tune out the extra fluff.

What I can't truly abide is highlighted part. It literally adds nothing to the discussion, nor does it emphasize anything about the point at hand. It simply resides as a dis, as if we were at the schoolyard playground hocking spit balls and middle fingers.

All this said, my original statement was "after reading SEVERAL posts" .... I feel this means that while he can be rude, or abrasive, condescending, a bully, whatever name calls one wishes to insert, he is still capable of being a solid debater.

If we take this single quote as a reference and as a place to move forward from, I would make 2 suggestions. 1.) refrain from unnecessary jibes, jabs and the like. This is not the Pool Room, and after awhile you may find yourself removed from the group altogether, to say nothing of advancing to the DH. 2.) When making a point, go straight for the evidence. Your post was actually the 2nd post you made because your first post wasn't strong enough to make your point. This could have been avoided by citing the examples you later and inevitably ended up citing. Blazed is not an idiot, btw, he's a fine debater. You cannot assume anything in a debate, -especially- policy debate. By immediately bringing out the citations you show readiness to provide proof of your claims, an understanding of the material that you are involving, and you are sure to clear up any misconceptions that may arise. Please remember that not all of our members are American, history majors, or even up on Current Events, so you'd be doing them and yourself a favor by eliminating any room for error by making sure each and every point you make is readily verifiable.

For the sake of continued Debate with this poster I suggest we all move on and provide battlecow an opportunity to show he's got what it takes to be a Smash Debater. I've already seen some good effort on his part in the last few days, so lets not assume he's a lost cause, a troll or misfit, and let's keep it clean.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299

I feel like a large reason for the recent sudden burst of activity in these parts is due to Battlecow's efforts. I personally like the guy and he's not afraid to bring forth new ideas and support them, which is always nice.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I agree, but my tastes in posters can sometimes be one-sided. I also supported numbers for admission and that was largely turned down. They both have similar styles, they say what they mean and mean what they say. I can't fault their honesty, but it's tough because honesty while refreshing can lead to problems if it's tastelessly done.

Top Bottom