• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Bowser Social Thread

odinNJ

Smash Lord
i knew that something was off this morning, then i noticed that there was a post in these board and i pinched myself to check if i was awake.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
people kind of lost interest. i wish that it became an actual social. ill try again sometime.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
Im gonna latch on to this bump and say

" edge canceled bair into bup"

That is all

odinNJ

Smash Lord
im assuming the bup leads to a ledge grab and hax ledge attack

E-102 Gamma

Smash Journeyman
I guess that does put them in roughly the same spot as a SHFFL'd Bair would at lower percents.

If they're at higher %s, though, it would probably be better to just semi-spike them with the Bair. Or so I would think, anyway.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
At low percents it could've give a nice piece of Damage. (also revive
G this thread). But I definitely think at low percents this could be useful

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
On Yoshi's, ledgejump (or hop, can't remember) lands perfectly on the side platforms. Everywhere else, I guess you can ledgehop fair/Klaw mixup. Also, sometimes I just ledgehop > upB and try to muscle my way onto the stage with my super low landing lag.

Edit: And don't forget flame cancelling.

E-102 Gamma

Smash Journeyman
What does bowser do after 100% and he can't do his good ledge attack?
Ledgehop or ledge roll, mostly. It's pretty easy to follow a ledgehop up with various stuff, like bairs, nairs, fairs, or wavelands to up-B (or flame cancels if you're playing on v1.0, as bubbaking said).

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Ledgeroll is super, duper risky. After 100%, the getup is slow (which is normal for all characters) and the roll, itself, is even slower (which is NOT normal for all characters)!

Edit: Oh, unless Standardtoaster is asking about ledgehogging (he never specified), in which case I guess Boozer's ledgeroll is really good.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
people super overrate his ledge attack under 100% because they play against bad players that don't punish you for doing it

like, bowser is still the same character over 100%

he's a tiny bit worse because of lacking a tool, but it's not the be all end all of bowser, as it's just as abusable as everything else lol

it's better for edgeguarding than for anything else IMO.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Yeah, even in P:M, if I'm facing Boozer and I know my opponent likes to spam ledge attack below 100%, I just shield at the ledge and shieldgrab him when he returns from his little 'attack roll' thing. Sometimes, I go for clanks too, 'cause that also doesn't usually go well for him. Gotta mix it up.

E-102 Gamma

Smash Journeyman
I saw a video of a Marth player who would just chink Bowser's <100% ledge attack, leaving Bowser miles wide open for punishment.

Btw, how exactly did we forget the ledgehopped Bowser Bomb? No Bowser main is pro without a complete and total mastery of it. :awesome:

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
So I was browsing the Melee character specific and I saw the last post here was from E-102 Gamma. I thought . . . that guy sounds familiar! Then I thought why? You're that guy who is in my area, who talks about playing competitive smash, but won't play competitive smash. I would have thought you would be done talking about smash by now. Gimpyfish went to a tourney in your city (Portland) btw.

TLDR: E-102 Gamma should play smash.

E-102 Gamma

Smash Journeyman
Sheesh, you act like I refuse to go to events or something.

I would very much like to start attending such events (and participating in them, whenever I can do so for free). The problem is it's not convenient for me to do so, mostly because I don't have any reliable transportation.

That, and I'm some 4 months out of practice because I just haven't gotten any opportunities to play Smash with anyone who is any good. I can't even practice by myself because my dad replaced the CRT that my Wii was hooked up to with an LCD TV that lags. :facepalm: While I'm not scared of losing, I'd rather not play like I just picked up a controller yesterday. Getting humiliated isn't fun.

Gimpyfish went to a tourney in your city (Portland) btw.
When was this?

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
As a Bowser main with no competitive(as in serious players) experience, your first matches are going to be hard. (My first match against a serious player, I played Marth and got 4 stocked by a Falco.) Practicing against computers will help your tech skill, but that really doesn't take much for Bowser. It is a loop. . . you play better against people who are better than you, after you play people that are better than you. I would say the only things you need to start playing decent for Bowser is UpB OoS, L-cancels and edge cancel UpB. There are other things that are good, but I doubt there is anything else for Bowser that is a big deal. Once you can do those, you're probably 90% as ready as you can be for playing seriously, without playing seriously.

Gimpy was at BestBout last Saturday. It is a monthly in Portland.

E-102 Gamma

Smash Journeyman
Practicing against computers will help your tech skill, but that really doesn't take much for Bowser.
I find that playing against CP's is detrimental to my skill overall because of how differently the AI players play as compared to human players. I'd also be practicing on an LCD, which would mess up my timing, so playing against the bots just seems like a bad idea.

I would say the only things you need to start playing decent for Bowser is UpB OoS, L-cancels and edge cancel UpB. There are other things that are good, but I doubt there is anything else for Bowser that is a big deal. Once you can do those, you're probably 90% as ready as you can be for playing seriously, without playing seriously.
IMO, Bowser is 90% edgeguarding successfully, 10% Klaw. :p
You both forgot about mindgames. :ohwell: They're really important when you're playing as Bowser, since you have to do stuff before your opponent does.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
You both forgot about mindgames. :ohwell: They're really important when you're playing as Bowser, since you have to do stuff before your opponent does.
False. A lot of Bowser's gameplay is actually reactionary. Mindgames are important, though.

so up-b jump cancels on platforms and can be used as a pretty serious mindgame. i've been experimenting with it recently. hopefully i can get some sort of videos up.
How do you............jump cancel an upB? Do you mean edgecancel? :confused:

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Note I was talking about technical skill, so obviously I omitted mindgames. If you're not playing with friends or practicing tech skill, are you just theory crafting on the boards? That won't really get you far. . . :\ your choices I guess. Time for me to eat soup.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
How do you............jump cancel an upB? Do you mean edgecancel? :confused:
it's hard for me to explain, but you can do it yourself. time it so that your up b is starting AS SOON as your jump is going to end on top of the platform. around that exact frame, up-b and instead of hovering up, you'll cancel your jump and spin perfectly on the platform.

i think it can be really useful. looking forward to video footage against good players soon.

Top Bottom