• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Bowser Social Thread

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
Because discussing stuff in the Q and A is dumb.​

• Global Rules still apply and all that.
  • Pop in, introduce yourself, have fun!

I know a few of the names that hang around the Bowser thread, but it'd be cool for everyone to get to know each other properly, y'know? Could even get an updated Bowser Player List sorted (although It'd probably be in the single digits =P). I'll introduce myself properly later, just doing a bunch of stuff at the moment.

Anyone got an idea for a better title and an image we could use in the first post?

Jonas

Smash Champion
Yeow, a social thread!
I'm not currently maining Bowser, but I still like to play him. I'd also like to hang around more on the Bowser boards, but it's kinda dead in here, y'know? :C

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
I don't actually main Bowser anymore either... Gonna wait until I'm at least decent with a high tier character, then come back to Bowser. I just use him in friendlies.

I'm hoping this thread will make it a little less dead, but I have no idea if people even bother to check the Bowser boards anymore haha.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
I... do?

On the topic of bowser, his up-b cancel off the edge is surprisingly hard for me :(.
Yeah, I've kinda had a similar problem.

Recently I bought a new controller from play asia. Played around with it, and besides the ridiculously long cord, it was good. But then I noticed that whenever I tilted the control stick to either corner notch, I didn't slow down enough during my up B to grab the ledge. So I went back to my old controller >_>. Too lazy to learn the correct amount of tiltyness to do the fortresshog properly.

cmart

Smash Lord
I still play Bowser, and have just come back to smash after a long hiatus. I'll be at Pound 5 if anyone wants to hit up an old-school Boozer player.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
Would it be worth making a match up discussion thread?

I'd be able to contribute to some of the high/top tier stuff, but I haven't really played enough people to say anything about most match ups.

Jonas

Smash Champion
Last time WK made it to 3rd round of pools I think

with Bowser

That's insane lol. Good luck to both of them and I hope a lot of their matches get recorded :)

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
So why'd you get dead last in the bracket then?
I beat Vectorman 2-0 in my first round. Then I had to fight M2K, which sucked since we fight alot whenever I house him or he's around my area. I could beat him and I've done it before, but of course its mad hard. So I lost to him and then barely lost to D'oH last game, last stock right after. So thats how I got dead last. I made some bad decisions and didn't play as good as I wanted to in bracket. Its all good. I'll keep trying my best and **** better next time. I went Samus 90% of the time in tournament.

Pi

Smash Hero
anyone heard from WK recently? I was suppose to split the room w/ him at P5 but he never showed up and I haven't heard from him

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
anyone heard from WK recently? I was suppose to split the room w/ him at P5 but he never showed up and I haven't heard from him
He's fine. He just didn't wanna go to Pound. He doesn't really have dedication for the game like that to be traveling to tournaments. He might go to Zenith or Genesis 2 but its always a toss-up for him.

Pi

Smash Hero
He's fine. He just didn't wanna go to Pound. He doesn't really have dedication for the game like that to be traveling to tournaments. He might go to Zenith or Genesis 2 but its always a toss-up for him.
okay well that's good, could you have him contact me though? i would like to know why he decided not to contact me and let me know about his change of plans, i ended up having to front for the room by myself, even turned down some peoples request for a room because i thought he would be coming.

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
okay well that's good, could you have him contact me though? i would like to know why he decided not to contact me and let me know about his change of plans, i ended up having to front for the room by myself, even turned down some peoples request for a room because i thought he would be coming.
Aight, I'll let him know.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
DJ - For some reason I really wanna see what happens if your pikachu teams with my sheik.

I think it'd be hilarious.

That and I've been working on my sheik so much more :)

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
DJ - For some reason I really wanna see what happens if your pikachu teams with my sheik.

I think it'd be hilarious.

That and I've been working on my sheik so much more :)
I think it'll be hilariously **** lol. We'd own so hard. I'd love to do that team with you sometime, even its just for money matches.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Sure, I wanna team for a tourney with you sometime if you're down. Since we haven't done so yet.

That and we should do samus/peach on DL64 as a CP :laugh:

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
I'm definitely down to team. We've never teamed before and I find that crazy. That counterpick would be so gay lol.

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
We will definitely be livin' mad hard LOL. We're just gonna get *****s tight and they're not gonna know what to do. I can't wait to do this and just laugh about it lol.

Flayl

Smash Hero
How are you guys feeling about Project M: Bowser?

I'm concerned they're afraid of overbuffing him and then not doing enough. Or that they change him so that people will start to teh_spammerer/jman him on a regular basis

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
How are you guys feeling about Project M: Bowser?

I'm concerned they're afraid of overbuffing him and then not doing enough. Or that they change him so that people will start to teh_spammerer/jman him on a regular basis
I remember playing the initial demo and being disappointed with no Bowser haha.

I hope they buff his strengths, but mostly leave his weaknesses alone. Keep him fat and comboable, keep his lag and his bad vertical recovery. But give him a bigger Klaw grab hitbox. Ridiculous bair hit angle would be pretty neat.

Aaand improve the useless moves. Upsmash, dtilt etc.

Jonas

Smash Champion
I'm pretty excited about P:M, but I'm proooooobably gonna main Ganon (or at least start by maining Ganon right off the bat) if I start playing it regularly, because Ganon *****.

But yeah, I think it's cool that they're giving Bowser a fighting chance, but at the same time I can't help but feel that he's SUPPOSED to suck and SUPPOSED to be a lot of hard work to play. I'd actually prefer if they just made him viable and then left the rest up to the players if that's a good way to put it.
Armor frames here and there is definitely something he deserves though, and Flame Cancel *****, so I guess I'm just gonna look forward to playing him in the final build (or maybe a v2 demo if they make one).

Pretty much agree with Seikend btw. Dang Dtilt is so bad lol

cmart

Smash Lord
Bowser: M is good. His core play-style is pretty much the same, but a lot of things that didn't work or were too risky to try are now a lot more viable. He's still laggy though, and gets punished pretty badly if you miss a beat. He hasn't been finished yet though, so take everything I just said with a grain of salt :]

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
So...

If you abused Bowser's ledgestall, would you get DQed?

mtgfish

Smash Rookie
Are there still Bowser players here? I'm confused on the upB, all the guides say it's supposed to be so good and deal a lot of damage and kill at low percentages, but it's not really doing much for me, even when I hit during the first few frames. And is there a way to avoid Falcon's chain grab?

Edit: and I've having a lot of trouble wavedashing with boozer too, I can do it with other characters but with boozer I rarely make it. What exactly is the timing needed?

Jonas

Smash Champion
Up B is definitely one of Bowser's stronger tools, but I think the "Up B more" advice is from a time when everyone liked to attack Bowser's shield. Also it's pretty useless against shield pressure from Fox and Falco if they do it perfectly (it's either impossible or just pretty hard to punish, I'm not sure about the frame data tbh).
Of course, if you're already shielding and the opponent is within range (and they don't have perfect shield pressure), Up B is your best option. It's more important to be able to space better so you don't need to shield, and then you can go for stuff like Fair or forward B.

When you're playing against Falcon, don't get grabbed lol.

Bowser's jump is horribly slow and you need to press L/R much later than if you were wavedashing with someone else. Remember that you can't air dodge before you are actually airborne (this goes for all characters).

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
Bowser's up-B outta shield is 1 frame and regular is 4 frames I believe. So if they trying to pressure that shield, time it correctly and they're gonna get loved. If Bowser up-B's outta shield perfectly and Fox pressures perfectly with shine, the shine and the up-B will clank since they're both 1 frame moves.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
Are there still Bowser players here? I'm confused on the upB, all the guides say it's supposed to be so good and deal a lot of damage and kill at low percentages, but it's not really doing much for me, even when I hit during the first few frames. And is there a way to avoid Falcon's chain grab?

Edit: and I've having a lot of trouble wavedashing with boozer too, I can do it with other characters but with boozer I rarely make it. What exactly is the timing needed?
Jonas explains UpB's purpose well. I'd also watch either WarriorKnight's or DJNintendo's Bowsers to see when to use it.

It'll kill early on floaty characters (Jigglypuff, Peach etc.) but not on fastfallers (Fox, Captain Falcon) etc.

And yeah, Bowser's wavedash timing is dumb. It's like a sixth of a second gap between when you jump and airdodge. Kinda hard to explain the timing in text lol. So sloooow though.

Jonas

Smash Champion
Bowser's up-B outta shield is 1 frame and regular is 4 frames I believe. So if they trying to pressure that shield, time it correctly and they're gonna get loved. If Bowser up-B's outta shield perfectly and Fox pressures perfectly with shine, the shine and the up-B will clank since they're both 1 frame moves.
It's faster if you shield first? Didn't know that lol.

Top Bottom