• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big Representation Breakdown Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
The only swordsman from Nintendo games until relatively recently that I remember was just Link

Now wit Fire Emblem, suddenly there are like 20
That's why many of us wish FE would make a new non-sword using lord!
Magic, axe or polearm would make for a more interesting smash character.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Or have an FE character that uses multiple weapons, considering you can usually change between 2 or 3 different weapon types in game.

And the sword users currently in game all have different styles of sword, the Links have a Sword and Shield, Marth has a rapier and Ike uses a two handed sword in one hand (showoff). Shulk's Monado fits in the category of "Oversized Fantasy Sword" so similar gameplay concerns won't apply.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I updated the OP to include Mega Man, Villager and Wii Fit trainer. Those last 2 were difficult to categories so kudos, Sakurai.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Mr. Game & Watch is a "Random Crap" user, isn't he?
btw hammerspace character is the correct term

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Mr. Game & Watch is a "Random Crap" user, isn't he?
btw hammerspace character is the correct term

Nicley caught, I'll add it.
Hammerspace decribes where they are kept, not what weapons are used. Link could count as a hammerspace user.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I think the Villager is a hero. In the most recent game, he/she is a mayor trying to make the town better.

Mewtwo is genderless.

If you count the Pokemon Trainer as a character, there are 30 males total in melee, brawl, and 4.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
We need more "Random crap" users.
Count the Villager in too!

Chrom and Lucina can use swords and lances/javelins/spears given they go Great Lord. Anna uses a sword in addition to staffs, but I can see her fitting a limited random crap moveset because she has a monopoly over goods being a merchant.

I think the Villager is a hero. In the most recent game, he/she is a mayor trying to make the town better.
Meh, there's a fine line between hero and good samaritan. Does the Villager really sacrifice anything as mayor? Let alone uptake a noble moral cause or defeat an antagonist that is the opposite of good? Not to mention the player can apply a trickster nature to him with nets and pitfalls.
Cause you know, politicians definitely are good guys!

Anyways, thoughts I'd broaden the alignment representation D&D style. I just feel its fun to fit characters from their true beliefs and I'm big on ethics. Feel free to debate placements.

Lawful Good: Link, Young Link, Toon Link, Zelda, Peach, Marth, Roy, Pit, Mega Man
Neutral Good: Mario, Dr. Mario, Luigi, Samus/Zero Suit Samus, Fox, Yoshi, Ness, Captain Olimar, Ike, Snake, Lucas
Chaotic Good: Kirby, Captain Falcon, Falco, Sonic, Diddy Kong
Lawful Neutral: Mewtwo, Meta Knight, Villager
True Neutral: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, Sheik, Pichu, R.O.B., Pokemon Trainer, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, Wii Fit Trainer
Chaotic Neutral: Donkey Kong, King Dedede, Wario, Lucario
Lawful Evil: Bowser
Neutral Evil: Wolf
Chaotic Evil: Ganondorf

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Since you have Mewtwo in supernatural powers, put Ness and Lucas, too since they are psychics.

Also what about a childrens catagory like having Y.Link, T.Link, Ness, Lucas, Roy, Pkmn Trainer, and does Villager count.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
agreed. yoshi is of also undetermined gender.

Trophy specifically refers to it as him or her.

Count the Villager in too!

Chrom and Lucina can use swords and lances/javelins/spears given they go Great Lord. Anna uses a sword in addition to staffs, but I can see her fitting a limited random crap moveset because she has a monopoly over goods being a merchant.

Meh, there's a fine line between hero and good samaritan. Does the Villager really sacrifice anything as mayor? Let alone uptake a noble moral cause or defeat an antagonist that is the opposite of good? Not to mention the player can apply a trickster nature to him with nets and pitfalls.
Cause you know, politicians definitely are good guys!

Anyways, thoughts I'd broaden the alignment representation D&D style. I just feel its fun to fit characters from their true beliefs and I'm big on ethics. Feel free to debate placements.

Lawful Good: Link, Young Link, Toon Link, Zelda, Peach, Marth, Roy, Pit, Mega Man
Neutral Good: Mario, Dr. Mario, Luigi, Samus/Zero Suit Samus, Fox, Yoshi, Ness, Captain Olimar, Ike, Snake, Lucas
Chaotic Good: Kirby, Captain Falcon, Falco, Sonic, Diddy Kong
Lawful Neutral: Mewtwo, Meta Knight, Villager
True Neutral: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, Sheik, Pichu, R.O.B., Pokemon Trainer, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, Wii Fit Trainer
Chaotic Neutral: Donkey Kong, King Dedede, Wario, Lucario
Lawful Evil: Bowser
Neutral Evil: Wolf
Chaotic Evil: Ganondorf
earlier in the thread, guy brush said it was "heroes as in protagonists" and the villager is definitely a protagonist.

Since you have Mewtwo in supernatural powers, put Ness and Lucas, too since they are psychics.

Also what about a childrens catagory like having Y.Link, T.Link, Ness, Lucas, Roy, Pkmn Trainer, and does Villager count.
If by children you mean anyone under 18, Ike is 17 so therefore he's actually a child. Marth is 16 in his first appearance, but if it's mystery of the emblem he's older, so I wouldn't count him.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
If by children you mean anyone under 18, Ike is 17 so therefore he's actually a child. Marth is 16 in his first appearance, but if it's mystery of the emblem he's older, so I wouldn't count him.
More like you can telk they're a child type of thing since Link is canonized 16 in OoT, I would put it below that, tbh.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Gender issues!

Are we counting Mega Man as male? I mean, I know the word "Man" is right there in his name (and every other robot in that series, just about), but Mega Man is just as much a robot as R.O.B., right? Wouldn't that make him genderless?

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
It all boils down to sexual anatomy. Whether or not a robot is capable of reproduction or holding certain parts, we tend to associate artificial beings like that based on the intent of their design. It's pretty much why we refer to Mega Man as a male. There have been robots in the series who have been designed with female aesthetics such as Roll or Splash Woman.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
When deciding gender I do it on who the characters identify themselves and not their chromosome arrangement. (Or lack thereof in ROB and Megaman's case).

Otacon mentions that Yoshi considers itself a he and Mewtwo, while genderless, is based of the one in the anime that was male, compared to the one in the new movie that's female. (Yeah I don't get it either).

So I'll change the gender thing to make Pikachu (DAT TAIL) and Lucario male and add Megaman to the Robot category.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
What about an animal category? Yoshi, DK, Diddy and Sonic fit in this. And, to a lesser extent, Bowser and all Pokemon except Jigglypuff fit this too.

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
Wario, Meta Knight and Dedede should be under an 'Anti-Hero' alignment. Wario is not so much a villain in his own series, and Dedede is simply a corrupt king while Meta Knight Fights for how he believes things should be rather than what Kirby is fighting for.

Ness and Lucas both fit into the "Supernatural Powers" fighting style, though you could make an argument that they're partially random crap users, considering Ness's bat and yoyo and Lucas's stick and rope snake. Either way, they're both predominately supernatural power users.

Xigger

Smash Lord
agreed. yoshi is of also undetermined gender.

Trophy specifically refers to it as him or her.
Look again. The subject of the sentence is "foe" making "him or her" refer to the foe, not Yoshi. Yoshi does not swallow himself. Yoshi is male.

Console Representation is mislabeled, it lists console debuts, NOT console representation. If you want actual console representation, then you should list the characters under EACH console they appear on. Otherwise, it's a birthday list. And non-Nintendo as well judging by Snake and Sonic.

Jigglypuff is no more ambiguous than Squirtle, Ivysaur, or Charizard. As is Pichu, Mewtwo, and Lucario. Additionally, Smash refers to all of them as "it." Only Pikachu has a visible difference between Male and Female.

Sheik, at least in Brawl, is referred to as "she."

Ice Climbers is one character, not Popo and Nana separately.
Kirby is not a hammer fighter. Not with one move.
Likewise, there are no bow users; they appear in only one move on each character.
Ness and Lucas should be classified under supernatural powers.
Random Crap and Modern Weaponry could be condensed to Weapon Arsenal. Mega Man may be included too.

Game & Watch could technically be action games.

You included Wario Land AND Warioware: shouldn't it be just Warioware?

You could include more "Neutral" roles. R.O.B., Ice Climbers, and Mr. Game & Watch could be included.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Oh yeah Sheik totally isn't a female! It's not like she's Zelda in a ****ing ninja costume or anything

Conren

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Conren1
3DS FC
5086-4445-8944
I would say Ganondorf is Lawful Evil

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
There should also be species.

Humans
Hylians
Yoshi
Gorillas
Chimps
Pokemon
Robots
Etc

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I like how YOSHI is its own category but all Pokemon are bunched together.

To be fair Pokemon can crossbreed so the all count as the same species. It's like an exaggerated version of dogs. As for Yoshi, it's biology only seems normal because it lives in the same universe as Birdo.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder... if female villager was a thing would that increase the female numbers?

Well considering I counted Nana...

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
I really dont know whats happening here, but instead of "robot" there should be a "gener-less" category.
Kirby can act as both male and female characters if the situation requires it, megaman doesnt.

Sheik is confirmed as a female btw.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I updated the OP so that confirmed characters show up in light blue.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Updated to include Zelda, Dedede and Rosalina.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Ivysaur is actually a female. The dots on the back or plant appear only on female Venusaurs.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Updated the Op to add Diddy and Mac

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Ivysaur is actually a female. The dots on the back or plant appear only on female Venusaurs.
That's not true, she's considered female because of the Japanese voice actress who plays her in the JPN dub, but there's no indication between gender for Ivysaurs unlike it's evolution.

Also @ Guybrush20X6 Guybrush20X6 you only have one Minion user despite having both Rosaluma and Olimar on the list. I'd also add DeDeDe thanks to Waddle Dee toss and his Final Smash

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I finally updated the list.

Changelawg

Added Greninja
Changed Charizard, Yoshi, Sheik and Zamus to confirmed
Changed the Earthbound, Yoshi, F-Zero and Wario universes to confimred.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Minion and Neutral character statements need to adjust the numbers (they each state a number different than the count of characters listed).

I'd say PTrainer could be considered to use minions, and Olimar as well.

Also, I don't think the Pokemon are all Neutral (if Mewtwo is a villain, then Pikachu is a hero).

As for supernatural users, if Mewtwo is included, then the other psych babies need to be (Ness and Lucas)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom