• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

Oblivion

Smash Journeyman
Speculation this early on in development should be about ideas put forth, not mechanics that are going to be changed before release.
Ideas put forth are almost just as meaningless really. Do you think Sakurai reads the boards for ideas? I don't think they actually take input from the competitive side. They see nothing wrong with the mechanics.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I think Smash 4 looks more like Brawl v1.5 at the moment. I think Brawl's biggest failings can all be tied back to one very significant problem, which is the lack of hitstun on attacks. Not only does that prevent any combos from happening but it had a negative effect on much of the game. Making offense not as strong as defense, and making Brawl into a very back-and-forth poke heavy slower game among other issues. Smash 4's videos so far have the same hitstun system as Brawl as far as I could see, so I'm iffy on the potential of the game.
Brawl actually had plenty of hitstun, but I can see how people might not see that due to a very irritating game mechanic - hitstun canceling on any attacks strong enough to send you into tumble state. So far I didn't see anyone exploiting that mechanic in any Smash 4 gameplay vids, but it's literally been people rolling around throwing out random attacks and dying at like 80% to a Mario fsmash, so I can't really say for sure.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Brawl actually had plenty of hitstun, but I can see how people might not see that due to a very irritating game mechanic - hitstun canceling on any attacks strong enough to send you into tumble state. So far I didn't see anyone exploiting that mechanic in any Smash 4 gameplay vids, but it's literally been people rolling around throwing out random attacks and dying at like 80% to a Mario fsmash, so I can't really say for sure.
Lack of hitstun led many things like multi-hit jabs to not even fully connect. Be it secondary to hitstun canceling or a lack of hitstun in general, the point remains that hitstun is far too low in Brawl and, in my opinion, led to many of the worst mechanics in the game. There are some gameplay clips where I saw characters getting hit and reacting in the air too quickly, which leads me to believe this is still prevalent.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
ZSS and DK were the only ones that really had such an issue I think, but in Melee you could crouch cancel just about everyone's jabs anyway, of which CC's mechanics were largely changed for the worse in Brawl (and you can shieldgrab Falcon's rapid jabs between hits lol). But like yeah if you tried to break out of a combo in Brawl by only jumping, shaking the control stick, or using a special, and not airdodging or using an aerial, you'll be able to see the true amount of hitstun on any given attack.

JTsm

Smash Master
Sakurai mentioned before playing the demo in a vid that this is not the final version and things will change as they see fit. But like Ori says, people are too quick to judge when the final completion isn't out. It may look like brawl, but I feel Sakurai is going to make this game more competitive-like.

kd-

Smash Lord
Assuming no change to the ledge grab mechanics, it is very magnetic like Brawl still. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vQD1yJinzeQ#t=412s
Good find, I didn't see that one, although this clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQD1yJinzeQ&t=4m36s shows something different. The clips were probably taken during two different builds of the game, interesting that there are examples of both Brawl-like snap/magnetic grips and Melee-esc Battlefields.

Oblivion

Smash Journeyman
Good find, I didn't see that one, although this clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQD1yJinzeQ&t=4m36s shows something different. The clips were probably taken during two different builds of the game, interesting that there are examples of both Brawl-like snap/magnetic grips and Melee-esc Battlefields.

Another interesting example happens shortly after that one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vQD1yJinzeQ#t=334s
you can tell he used up b really close to the ledge and grabbed it.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Actually it doesn't really look like he did. Everyone's "ledge grab" animation has them start off kinda like they barely grabbed the ledge from a near-horizontal angle, then back to vertical from gravity, and you can't grab the ledge while still rising from a double jump, so it looks more like Mario just grabbed the ledge from an awkward point right as he started falling from his double jump.

SoulPech

Smash Master
As long as they remove random tripping, have Jigglypuff, and no auto-ledge grabs, I'm ok with whatever.

Though I wouldn't mind if they removed the %scaling too...or at least tone it down.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
I'm just glad there is another Smash game. What else more is there to want? Everything you guys are saying is nothing more than wishful thinking. Be happy there is another game for us all to enjoy and create more memories with.

Oblivion

Smash Journeyman
Actually it doesn't really look like he did. Everyone's "ledge grab" animation has them start off kinda like they barely grabbed the ledge from a near-horizontal angle, then back to vertical from gravity, and you can't grab the ledge while still rising from a double jump, so it looks more like Mario just grabbed the ledge from an awkward point right as he started falling from his double jump.
If you listen you can hear the sound of his up b, it's pretty distinct. It's weird.

Why is it so bad to talk about the mechanics that they show us? They may change they may not, whatever. I never complained about anything, just trying to have a little discussion besides, "I hope x, y, and z are in the game because I'm a fanboy."

JTsm

Smash Master
With Villager and WiiFitTrainer in the mix, it's really a toss up to who's going in the roster. For most of the trailer seemed fine, but I think Sakurai is going to troll by having great mechanics and ****ty character choices, but who knows. lol

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Villager is awesome and WiiFit Trainer is so left field that I really like her addition to the roster.

SoulPech

Smash Master
It's kind of like when Snake was added in, lol. It makes sense, but it was definitely unexpected.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 14)

wut?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You're right, it's totally pointless compared to trolling and flaming each other over meaningless **** again.

Zackery Hendricks

Smash Apprentice
Ideas put forth are almost just as meaningless really. Do you think Sakurai reads the boards for ideas? I don't think they actually take input from the competitive side. They see nothing wrong with the mechanics.
Sakurai said he was trying to make this version more competitive. I dunno. I just feel like it isn't far enough in to development to warrant criticizing the engine.

Maestro_

Court Composer
NNID
Maestro227
3DS FC
3411-1820-5923
We won't even be able to host big scaled tournaments lol. think about it.

I can only see the 3DS version capable of such thing
Yes unless an adapter is made that directly plugs a controller into the wii u usb port, then yes. No tournaments.

Oblivion

Smash Journeyman
No, but I don't really know anything about them. Hopefully they don't work the same as Wiimotes :( Someone needs to bring this up to Nintendo lol.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Nintendo's general response to anything involving large-scale tournaments that they're not the ones organizing is absolutely no response.

Top Bottom