• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bell Tolls for Prince Sable as an Assist Trophy in SSB4! (Now with Footage of Sable!)

How much do you support Prince Sable?

• 100%!

Votes: 42 24.4%
  • Just a little!

Votes: 42 24.4%
  • Who's Prince of Sable?

Votes: 62 36.0%
  • Neutral..

Votes: 26 15.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
guys I don't think @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 is sad about this I think he is happy now because sakurai do remember price sable and also its the first time that he saw a 3D model and its been so log time that prince sable didn't appear in a game and this time he did reutern in 1 of the most popular game all the time. for him its like a dream that did come true for him also prince sable could get too many fans after he did appear in SSB4 then we might get him in SSB5

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'll be honest, after what happened to likes of Takamaru and Lip probably deconfirmed still in sight, I didn't have too high hopes on Sable popping up. However, I have to really commend on him actually being elevated to a status where he gets to take a part, and influence your battle!

Besides, if Sakurai's description is any indication, Sable might be the most useful and unique Assist yet with a "fighter's A.I". He can score you easy opportunities to KO your opponents if the dust cloud-thing is gonna trap the enemies in place like in the original game. Gotta also dig how they dug deep to present Sable exactly the way he's in the games, right to the fighting style and the transformations... compared to some OTHER guys, like Starfy. (Ugh)

I say @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 , he might be not playable, but he's practically one of the most eye-candy fanservicey ATs yet to me. I might now feel kinda melancholic to the thought that any obscurities or JPN-only fighters seem a big shot now to even be a playable character from now on, unless a curveball happens - but at the end, this might be their best shot to be noted for what they are for the time being. Besides, you can say Sable has also received the golden seal of "All Star" on his lap!

Perhaps one day the fan interest might grow enough on these characters to ask Nintendo step out of their comfort zones and try something new with these characters. Hopefully.

Until then, cheers for Sable!

Last edited:

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993
Sorry guys, I'm glad he got an assist trophy at least. He was a longshot since very few people in the States know him including me.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I didn't really expect the Sablé Prince to appear in the game. Of course, playable status would be the ideal, but being an AT is better than just a trophy or even a sticker, I suppose. So in a way I think BluePikmin and other Sablé Prince supporters are more happy than sad for today's news.

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
Well, at least he has a model created for when Project M.2 begins...

Shaking//very

Smash Apprentice
while sadly not playable, the prince does look amazing though. and he's represented well, being a the second to best option next to being playable, being an assist trophy and a trophy.

since takamaru was confirmed to be an assist trophy too last week i've changed my mind on the matter. same goes for prince sable;
he's in, he's remembered. that's what's it all about. no one lost today, you might just have won a little bit.

i'm just glad we're getting very interesting assist trophies this time around, it will make playing on ''for fun'' woth it.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Well, I am a Sable supporter, but his chances were always slim, so I'm glad to even see an assist trophy.
It is a really good looking assist trophy at that.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I thought he was kind of cool. He wasn't my most wanted character or anything like that. Sucks he was shown as an assist trophy. Well, it's still better than nothing.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Let's hope Prince Sable also gets into Smash Bros Crusade. So far it seems a lot of everyone's most wanted new comers are already in the game.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Let's hope Prince Sable also gets into Smash Bros Crusade. So far it seems a lot of everyone's most wanted new comers are already in the game.
I, sadly, doubt that. They still don't have Ridley or Mewtwo.
I thought he was kind of cool. He wasn't my most wanted character or anything like that. Sucks he was shown as an assist trophy. Well, it's still better than nothing.
What assist trophy? :laugh:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I, sadly, doubt that. They still don't have Ridley or Mewtwo.

What assist trophy? :laugh:
Didn't they shown him on the Tomadachi stage? If he isn't a playable character(which seems to be the case)then what else would he be doing there?

Ultra*HappyCharge

Smash Apprentice
I may not of supporter of the Prince but somehow I was ecstatic for the Prince to be in the game. Still, I'm happy for the supporters for having him in, at least as an AT. HOORAY~*

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Uh oh. Seems like the deconfirmations are getting bigger. The least you will be expecting and one of the favorites like Ridley, K. Rool, Bandana Dee o Krystal will get the AT.
NOw I'm fully convinced that Sakurai went insane and he wants everyone as miserable as him. *shudders*

Sorry Blue and fellow Sable supporters, now the prince gets to be a benchwarmer for the next title on the Ultra Nintendo and Nintendo 4DS in the near future. It must be pretty hard seen a character that could be unique demoted to Assist Duty for such a great title like this. But look on the bright side, he has an adorable Assist Trophy model and Pixiv artist might make some new art for him today.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
Words cannot describe my despair right now. I'm glad he made it in with a 3D model but this isn't what I hoped for at all. My worries though, is that if SSB5 comes to fruitation; Sable could end up as an assist again like stafy did.

I'm checking the online smash bros trends right now in Japan with twitter and miiverse; overall mood is sadness. People there are pretty much losing all hope of getting their own retro; and are quite vocally upset that "Yankees" get their own retro rep while they don't. They think Lip is impossible at this point and that Donbe/Hikari is a pipe dream. I can't honestly blame them for feeling that, can you?

Here is what I personally don't understand. Why deconfirm Sable; when Takamaru was JUST DECONFIRMED? I don't understand this at all. Is it because the fans gave him sh** over twitter/miiverse? Or did he want to get the pain over with for them? Regardless, this was way too soon in my opinion to reveal something like this.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.

Each fighter's loss diminishes me,
For I am involved in Smash.

Last edited:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Don't worry about it, guys/BluePikmin. Personally, I'm more happy than disappointed.
He has a nice character model. I especially like his snake form, and how he has the dust cloud from the battle system when attacking.

At least Sakurai saw his game as worthy of notable representation. An AT apperance is only one step down from a full-fledged character after all. It's better than just a regular collectable trophy.

----

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I had a huge weird feeling that Sakurai was going to post a pic of the day about something Kaeru no Tame ni wa Naru related, and BAM! it looks like I was right. At first I was pretty bummed about it, but then I realized that this gives him a good shot at being the next revived Mac character (He still has Takamaru to deal with, that's his biggest competitor for the next installment). I didn't get to see a Wii U HD model though, that was the only bum for me in this pic of the day. But it is at least great Sakurai posted this right after his birthday, it's like he wanted to show his all-time favorite unknown Nintendo character to celebrate his cake.

And the other great thing about it is that I get to here some thoughts about me in video discussions like Gamexplain (Although I won't expect much thought into it) and the fact we will get a strong chance of his seeing "The Prince's Adventure" and maybe the "Credits Roll" too in the music department! Hopefully after this pic of the day, he actually gets more exposure to Nintendo and the people who saw this picture and was curious about the game, I really don't want him to go the low direction where he just only appears in eShop games or low-success games like Chibi Robo, Starfy, Dark Dawn, Star Successor, etc.

I must say Sakurai, thank you for this pic of the day, realistically this was probably the best bet for Sable, I have stayed committed to him and put him in my prediction rosters since I first discovered him June 6th of 2013, but unfortunately I have to let go of my all time favorite Gameboy character and bid him farewell.

R.I.P. The Prince of the Sable Kingdom.

Bunny8093

Smash Journeyman
Came to say I'm sorry the Prince didn't make it in as playable but I'm shocked that he made it to AT status. I thought he'd be lucky to get a trophy let alone be an AT. He's got a nice model and actually looks very cute. This could mean great things for him in the future! I do hope we (and especially Japan) gets a good, Japanese related retro rep soon and I personally wish it was Takamaru but you all have seen where that went :crying:. I'm not sure who's really left for a Japanese related retro rep besides Lip but even she could be disconfirmed by the Lip's Stick item returning.

Gotta say this as well, the moment I seen this PoTD I instantly thought of you @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 . I'm glad you're taking this well from what I see above.

Last edited:

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
It's so weird. Just last night, I was thinking "Takamaru was deconfirmed last Monday, what if Prince Sable is tomorrow?". Anyway, I just wanted to send my condolences. It can really suck when a character you really wanted is not only confirmed not playable, but just for salt in the wound, an Assist trophy. Sorry guys. Hopefully he's Little Mac'd.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
Came to say I'm sorry the Prince didn't make it in as playable but I'm shocked that he made it to AT status. I thought he'd be lucky to get a trophy let alone be an AT. He's got a nice model and actually looks very cute. This could mean great things for him in the future! I do hope we (and especially Japan) gets a good, Japanese related retro rep soon and I personally wish it was Takamaru but you all have seen where that went :crying:. I'm not sure who's really left for a Japanese related retro rep besides Lip but even she could be disconfirmed by the Lip's Stick item returning.
The lip stick has as much relevance to Lip as the screw attack ball for Samus or the fire flower for Mario; she still has a shot

Then there's also Donbe/Hikari; who would potentially be included separate from the other. Though the game stressed in text that they were inseparable; they could potentially be tag-team characters. Think a blend of switching from Zelda/Sheik moveset with having the other sibling out and visible in the field a la ice climbers

These are literally the only exclusive retro japanese characters left.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
The lip stick has as much relevance to Lip as the screw attack ball for Samus or the fire flower for Mario; she still has a shot

Then there's also Donbe/Hikari; who would potentially be included separate from the other. Though the game stressed in text that they were inseparable; they could potentially be tag-team characters. Think a blend of switching from Zelda/Sheik moveset with having the other sibling out and visible in the field a la ice climbers

Zelda/Sheik and all other transformations were pulled due to balancing issues, so I honestly don't see characters using that sort of move set making it in.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
to speak the true, i had no idea who this guy was before looking at this thread (a while ago now) but I find him pretty charming (In fact for some reason i kept reading "princess" Sable and though that "she" was some sort of tomboy chibi joan de arc, which would be quite OK in my book XD) but something in his artwork, was quite charming, like that anime one watched while one was a small kid (dragon quest, slayers, kimba, don't judge me, the programation on my country wasn't always up to date).

But I frankly didn't think he was going to made into the roster, or get evenmentioned at all, so at least I'm glad to see him as an assist trophy. In pre-brawl era i was supporting Eternal Darkness to get a character (I knew it was hard and almost 0 chances though) but we ended withouth even a sticker! :c so that situation kinda sucks :c

I wonder if Sakurai is AT all the characters with some kind of following that didn't make it into the roster?

Bunny8093

Smash Journeyman

Well both Lip and Donbe/Hikari are pretty good I suppose. It's a little sad that these two (three technically) are all we have left. But this isn't the place for this so I'll leave it at that.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Could this mean my dream of Jumpman playable is going to be crushed like Sable?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Though I'm glad to see him in the game at all. The game was always unknown, but Sakurai acknowledges even the most ridiculous of characters.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
(if we're going to continue this, we should take it to the Jumpman thread.)
On the other hand in consideration of Prince... Bell Frog Snake Dude... Sorry Blue. You're having some blues. See, see what I did there?
Don't hurt me.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I really don't think of it as a loss, this is highly impressive. A game seemingly forgotten gets their main character as an Assist, and likely an opponent in All-Star Mode. This could create awareness for the game, much like Mother 3 and Fire Emblem, and we could see Sable arrive in America. This is a semi-victory.

And he looks badass. His frog and snake forms are very cool-looking, it's as if they leaped off the box art.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
To play devil's advocate, Samus and Mario were shown before the Screw Attack and Fire Flower. The Lip's Stick is more comparable to...if the Master Sword was shown as an item before Link was confirmed. A pretty-much outright disconfirmation. Not to mention Kirby still has the Garbage Block...

But hey, Mach Rider, Muddy Mole, Bubbles and Duck Hunt Dog are still around, right?

lightdasher

Smash Lord
I didn't expect Sable to be playable, but it's nice to know he's in the game.

Don't you dare

To play devil's advocate, Samus and Mario were shown before the Screw Attack and Fire Flower. The Lip's Stick is more comparable to...if the Master Sword was shown as an item before Link was confirmed. A pretty-much outright disconfirmation. Not to mention Kirby still has the Garbage Block...

But hey, Mach Rider, Muddy Mole, Bubbles and Duck Hunt Dog are still around, right?
I like how people forget that the wand Lip uses is not the same as the one in smash.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom