• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Barracks - Robin Q&A Thread [ASK GAMEPLAY QUESTIONS HERE]

Nah

Smash Champion
How do you guys keep it up? Everytime I see another top tier character, I just look at robin, and im like "this character cant compete". Smash 4 is getting faster and faster, does robin have a place in this game? I always feel like dropping this character lately, especially after some real sour tournaments. How do you guys keep playing this guy no quesiton?
I've been with the character far too long to drop her now. It doesn't really feel that hopeless to me like to kinda does with :4lucina:.

Do you go solo Robin btw? Getting a secondary may be useful to you. Otherwise you just gotta keep working at it I guess.

Janno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Janno123
Yea i stopped playing Solo Robin in tournaments long ago

imo Mario suites Really well as a Secondary. I Play him vs pika, yoshi and Mario
Possibel Good Match ups are shiek and cf if you have trouble as Robin

Janno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Janno123
So the First "Official" Tier List is released
What do you guys think about robins placing (lowest mid)

imo his placement is Good. Maybe you could have put him one place higher so he is better than bowser. But seeing all the other characters that are above him I feel like Robin is at a decent spot

Preusse

Smash Rookie
NNID
Emiya1994
How do you guys keep it up? Everytime I see another top tier character, I just look at robin, and im like "this character cant compete". Smash 4 is getting faster and faster, does robin have a place in this game? I always feel like dropping this character lately, especially after some real sour tournaments. How do you guys keep playing this guy no quesiton?
I find that I can go quite deep with Robin at my locals where the best players main Mario, Megaman and Sheik just by knowing the matchups and not relying on unsafe projectiles like Arcfire too much while on the ground. I've also found that characters like Sheik and Mario approach from the air, so a short hop Arcfire catches them a lot and allows me more control over my positioning than a grounded version of the move. I also secondary Fox, however, for matchups like Megaman where my projectiles are beat out constantly and just to have a faster character in general to fall back on.

As a side note, assuming I get the DThrow to Arcthunder at low percentages, which follow up is more optimal? A regrab into Wind Jab, an FSmash or a Levin Fair?

Nah

Smash Champion
what are ways to cancel charge and what are the ways in the air
You can cancel the thunder charge by shielding, rolling (you can just input a direction for this one), or spotdodging. In the air the only way to cancel the thunder charge is to airdodge.

LevinViolin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CaptainLinebeck
3DS FC
4038-6039-4160
what are ways to cancel charge and what are the ways in the air
You can only cancel the charge by pressing the shield button, or combining it with a direction to roll or spotdodge. Pressing shield in the air causes you to airdodge, and it's the only way to cancel airborne charging.

Gah :4greninja:'d

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
No FAQ in the op and my apologies for my laziness preventing me from reading 15 pages which may or may not have my questions. 1. How important is it to manage the uses of your Levin and tomes? I love using Robin and with Wolf pretty much confirmed not coming back, I need to pick a character to main and possibly second and I'm debating Robin but I'm terrible at micromanagement and anything overly complicated. Olimar, Duck Hunt, Peach, Ryu and newly added Bayonetta are easily some of my worst characters and while I love Robin, I kinda just feel for when my equipment breaks which sometimes leads to backwards shads for nothing and other times I end up losing the item before I even knew broke it.

2. Looking at Korogane Hammer, Robin seems to lack any fast aerial (fastest appearing to be frame 9 nair and bair). With this in mind and from my own matches and matches I've seen, tomes and levin sword being broken can often be a life saver, hitting an unsuspecting opponent. Question about this is specifically about Nosferatu since it's sometimes used up on purpose for the tome break. Does Nosferatu's animation have to end on the 4th use for it to break? Like, for example, say you're being juggled and you use Nosferatu to try and have the broken tome help you. If you get hit during the animation, does the tome still break or does the entire animation have to end? I guess I could ask the same for the other moves but Levin requires an aerial anyways, Thunder can't break when chargiing, Elwind would be counterproductive and Arcfire just seems like an odd choice although perhaps a better one since the tome comes back faster.

TL;DR Is tome and Levin use/management incredibly important for high level Robin play and do specials have to go through the entire animation on the last use for the tome to break?

Avokha

A+B smash tech is my baby <3
NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
No FAQ in the op and my apologies for my laziness preventing me from reading 15 pages which may or may not have my questions. 1. How important is it to manage the uses of your Levin and tomes? I love using Robin and with Wolf pretty much confirmed not coming back, I need to pick a character to main and possibly second and I'm debating Robin but I'm terrible at micromanagement and anything overly complicated. Olimar, Duck Hunt, Peach, Ryu and newly added Bayonetta are easily some of my worst characters and while I love Robin, I kinda just feel for when my equipment breaks which sometimes leads to backwards shads for nothing and other times I end up losing the item before I even knew broke it.

2. Looking at Korogane Hammer, Robin seems to lack any fast aerial (fastest appearing to be frame 9 nair and bair). With this in mind and from my own matches and matches I've seen, tomes and levin sword being broken can often be a life saver, hitting an unsuspecting opponent. Question about this is specifically about Nosferatu since it's sometimes used up on purpose for the tome break. Does Nosferatu's animation have to end on the 4th use for it to break? Like, for example, say you're being juggled and you use Nosferatu to try and have the broken tome help you. If you get hit during the animation, does the tome still break or does the entire animation have to end? I guess I could ask the same for the other moves but Levin requires an aerial anyways, Thunder can't break when chargiing, Elwind would be counterproductive and Arcfire just seems like an odd choice although perhaps a better one since the tome comes back faster.

TL;DR Is tome and Levin use/management incredibly important for high level Robin play and do specials have to go through the entire animation on the last use for the tome to break?
You can find the answer to all these questions by playing, but i'll see if I can help quicken the process :p

In my personal experience, micromanagement isn't THAT big of a deal, you simply should keep in an eye on Robin's hands; when a weapon starts to flash, that means you have used at least 75% of that weapons durability, and further use will break it. The only tome you have to be REALLY careful for is Elwind; if that tome breaks, you have no recovery until it respawns (fortunately, Elwind has the fastest respawn time, I believe at 8 seconds).

Once you begin the animation when casting any spell or even an attack with the levin sword, that takes a use, even when you've been hit out of the animation. Thus, to answer your question, yes, the tome will still break if you get hit out of the animation.

Also, just FYI, while we don't have the best frame data, all our aerials (except dair, our worst aerial) are still very quick and have VERY good disjoints, especially using the levin sword. Try to abuse these disjoints :)

Regarding Nosferatu, I personally wouldn't waste it for a free tome like that because:
-the tome takes 40 seconds to return, by far the longest waiting time
-Nosferatu is too valuable a move to waste just for one item, as that spell can literally tip a game in your favor when applied correctly
Broken weapons will come naturally as you attack or defend with your weapons on hand far quicker than having to go out of your way to make the time to waste Nosferatu for one.

Remember, don't feel put off by low speed; Robin makes up for it with superior offense and defense using his/her weapons, which conveniently generates broken tomes/swords.
Good luck if you decide to main the tactician! :4robinm::4robinf:

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
You can find the answer to all these questions by playing, but i'll see if I can help quicken the process :p

In my personal experience, micromanagement isn't THAT big of a deal, you simply should keep in an eye on Robin's hands; when a weapon starts to flash, that means you have used at least 75% of that weapons durability, and further use will break it. The only tome you have to be REALLY careful for is Elwind; if that tome breaks, you have no recovery until it respawns (fortunately, Elwind has the fastest respawn time, I believe at 8 seconds).

Once you begin the animation when casting any spell or even an attack with the levin sword, that takes a use, even when you've been hit out of the animation. Thus, to answer your question, yes, the tome will still break if you get hit out of the animation.

Also, just FYI, while we don't have the best frame data, all our aerials (except dair, our worst aerial) are still very quick and have VERY good disjoints, especially using the levin sword. Try to abuse these disjoints :)

Regarding Nosferatu, I personally wouldn't waste it for a free tome like that because:
-the tome takes 40 seconds to return, by far the longest waiting time
-Nosferatu is too valuable a move to waste just for one item, as that spell can literally tip a game in your favor when applied correctly
-Broken weapons will come naturally as you attack or defend with your weapons on hand far quicker than having to go out of your way to make the time to waste Nosferatu for one

Remember, don't feel put off by low speed; Robin makes up for it with superior offense and defense using his/her weapons, which conveniently generates broken tomes/swords.
Good luck if you decide to main the tactician! :4robinm::4robinf:
Yeah, the flashing was part of how I 'felt' for breaks rather than counting. I have rough memory of the amount of tome uses. Nosferatu is always 4, Arcfire is always 6, Elwind is somewhere in the 20s (I've never broken it without intentionally holding rapid jab) and Thunder and Speed Thunder are also somewhere in the 20s? While + is like half of that or so. Thunder takes 1 use, El takes...4? Arc is 8? and Thoron is 10? I know the info is on Smash wiki and probably in these very boards but this is just to show my general lack of knowledge towards even the amount of uses. Won't have smash wiki in front of me during a match =P

I'm aware her aerials are fast enough, love nair and Levin fair and bair for edgeguarding but then you have the 'combo breaking' 3 frame nairs and since we lack something that fast, I was just wondering if purposely breaking a tome (assuming you get hit to cancel the animation faster) would help at all. Suppose if Levin is close to breaking then dair would be best against a juggler since it could hit them or the broken Levin could afterwards.

Thanks for the help!

Avokha

NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
Yeah, the flashing was part of how I 'felt' for breaks rather than counting. I have rough memory of the amount of tome uses. Nosferatu is always 4, Arcfire is always 6, Elwind is somewhere in the 20s (I've never broken it without intentionally holding rapid jab) and Thunder and Speed Thunder are also somewhere in the 20s? While + is like half of that or so. Thunder takes 1 use, El takes...4? Arc is 8? and Thoron is 10? I know the info is on Smash wiki and probably in these very boards but this is just to show my general lack of knowledge towards even the amount of uses. Won't have smash wiki in front of me during a match =P

I'm aware her aerials are fast enough, love nair and Levin fair and bair for edgeguarding but then you have the 'combo breaking' 3 frame nairs and since we lack something that fast, I was just wondering if purposely breaking a tome (assuming you get hit to cancel the animation faster) would help at all. Suppose if Levin is close to breaking then dair would be best against a juggler since it could hit them or the broken Levin could afterwards.

Thanks for the help!
Allow me to fill you in on the durability of the weapons:
Thunder contains 20 points- Thunder uses 1, Elthunder uses 3, Arcthunder uses 5, Thoron uses 8. Note that even when you have less than 8 uses remaining, so long as you still hold the tome, you can any spell, even when the spells usage exceeds the remaining amount.
Arcfire contains 6 points, side b uses 1 per input, and the fire finisher of Robins jab also uses 1 point.
Elwind contains 9 uses (though each individual blade used in the up b is half a use, so 2 blades=1 use), and the wind jab finisher uses half a use per second.
Nosferatu contains only 4 points, but each use is atributed to only the down b input.
Levin sword contains 8 uses, attributed to both smash attacks and aerials using the levin sword

Stray tomes can come in handy at times when it comes to combo breaking, as your describing :) Helps me out every now and then. However, it is very dificult to predict, and is more luck-of-the-draw, at least in my experience.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Allow me to fill you in on the durability of the weapons:
Thunder contains 20 points-Thunder uses 1, Elthunder uses 3, Arcthunder uses 5, Thoron uses 8. Note that even when you have less than 8 uses remaining, so long as you still hold the tome, you can any spell, even when the spells usage exceeds the remaining amount.
Arcfire contains 6 points, side b uses 1 per input, and the fire finisher of Robins jab also uses 1 point.
Elwind contains 9 uses (though each individual blade used in the up b is half a use, so 2 blades=1 use), and the wind jab finisher uses 1 use per second.
Nosferatu contains only 4 points, but each use is atributed to only the down b input.
Levin sword contains 8 uses, attributed to both smash attacks and aerials using the levin sword
Okay, I knew I was a bit off with Thunder and was way off with Elwind although for recovery purposes, it's more like 18 which is close to the 20 I guessed. Was aware about the jabs taking up uses. Usually end up using the fire jab since I'm always afraid of having a worse recovery than Sopo even with the fast recharge time. Gotta at least memorize those numbers so I have a better understanding of how much I can use each spell.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Do we have any sort of thread/list of followups for Arcthunder -> Footstool?

It's so ridiculously easy to do on a dummy, but I need to know what works on who with DI + Rolling.

Janno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Janno123
the only footstool combo robin is capable of doing is arcthunder -> footstool -> zdrop levin sword (tomes wont lock the opponent) and then something like arcfire arcfire uair or a smash or something

there are other possibilities with tech chasing. But these depend really badly on the opponent. Someone with a long get up role will most likely be save after a footstool simply because robin cant keep up speed wise. vs many opponents you can cover a role with arcfire tho but if they do a get up attack or maybe just regular get up they will be able to punish our laggy sideB.
if you have a tome in your hand you can get a 100% follow up if you react fast enough. even after just a footstool

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
Having a major issue here. I can't ever get Robin's "Down Throw Into Up Air Combo" I know its a true combo, but no matter how I hard I try it, I cannot seem to get it. I was told to buffer, but still in training its not coming up as a "true combo" So what are the general character weights percentages for this combo to work? Like when is it best on Heavy weights, fast fallers, light weights, etc.

Casey Chase

Undine~
3DS FC
1521-4138-1029
Having a major issue here. I can't ever get Robin's "Down Throw Into Up Air Combo" I know its a true combo, but no matter how I hard I try it, I cannot seem to get it. I was told to buffer, but still in training its not coming up as a "true combo" So what are the general character weights percentages for this combo to work? Like when is it best on Heavy weights, fast fallers, light weights, etc.
Dthrow Followups
Checkmate Kill Percents (found later in the above thread)

Anyway, this is just a general gameplay question but Robin is my main so w/e

How conscious of picking my options should I be? I find myself doing things that work seemingly by instinct simply from watching the opponent. However, top-level play (which I'm definitely not at) is more of a mental task rather than executional from what I've gathered. Should I be mindful of every single action I do to try to outplay the opponent or should I keep playing and unconsciously adapting (until I find something that is difficult for me to counter in which I will have to play smarter)?

Zoramine Fae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8088-7214
I don't play Robin much but I'm slowly improving these days, as it is my goal to at least learn every single Smash character at a moderate skill level or just know a few tricks with each character (With the hardest characters so far being Greninja, Sheik, Mii Swordfighter, and, well, Robin). How does Robin deal with characters that can switch from heavy defensive to constant aggression on three seconds?

I know about all of Robin's tome durability and all of their recharge times, but how does one manage which tomes to use at what time? I usually screw it up and use Arcthunder or Elthunder when Arcfire would have probably been more useful, and I have problems managing my Levin Sword usage since it's almost the only reason I ever suceed with the character is lucky BAirs and UAirs.

What is Robin's best aerial? I love using BAir after having a lot of experiences with good BAirs, but it seems like most people think FAir or UAir are better. Why is that? Just a damage to speed issue or is there something else?

Thanks if anyone responds.

Zubatman27

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zubatcontrol
Hello, I am a bit new to Robin, and I am wondering if anyone has advice on keeping track of the number of tome uses you have left.

LevinViolin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CaptainLinebeck
3DS FC
4038-6039-4160
Hello, I am a bit new to Robin, and I am wondering if anyone has advice on keeping track of the number of tome uses you have left.
Well glad you decided to pick up Robin! They have a bit of a learning curve, but they're very fun when you get into them. :)
The first step is familiarizing yourself with how many uses you have with every one of your item reliant moves.
  • Neutral Special has 20 uses, Thunder costs 1 use, Elthunder costs 3 uses, Arcthunder costs 5 uses, Thoron costs 8 uses
  • Nosferatu has 4 uses
  • Arcfire has 6 uses, the "gentlemen" jab finisher costs 1 use
  • Elwind has 9 uses, every second you hold Robin's wind jab uses 1/2 a use, each elwind blade costs 1/2 use
  • The Levin Sword has 8 uses
You should always try to keep track of how many uses you have left on your items, but you can tell if an item has a low amount of uses left if it's flashing. You shouldn't rely too much on looking for flashing items, but it can be very useful in notifying you when Robin is about to toss them.
  • The Thunder tome will flash when it has 5 uses left
  • Nosferatu flashes with 1 use left
  • Arcfire flashes with 1 use left
  • Elwind flashes with 2 uses left
  • The Levin sword flashes with 2 uses left
While all of these are important to pay attention to, I would suggest making particular effort towards keeping track of the uses left on arcfire and your Levin Sword. If either is unavailable at a crucial moment where you need to apply pressure then Robin loses a ton of momentum.

This is just all the basic data to keep in mind for item uses. Just as a personal recommendation: Because you mentioned you're new to Robin I wouldn't focus a tremendous amount on knowing exactly when your item is going to run out of charges. If Robin loses any of these it's not the end of the world, so try to focus on just getting the feel of Robin down for now. The flashing mechanic exists for a reason. I'd be surprised if any Robin player kept meticulous track of all their Elwind uses. Hope you have success playing everyone's favorite tactician!

I don't play Robin much but I'm slowly improving these days, as it is my goal to at least learn every single Smash character at a moderate skill level or just know a few tricks with each character (With the hardest characters so far being Greninja, Sheik, Mii Swordfighter, and, well, Robin). How does Robin deal with characters that can switch from heavy defensive to constant aggression on three seconds?

I know about all of Robin's tome durability and all of their recharge times, but how does one manage which tomes to use at what time? I usually screw it up and use Arcthunder or Elthunder when Arcfire would have probably been more useful, and I have problems managing my Levin Sword usage since it's almost the only reason I ever suceed with the character is lucky BAirs and UAirs.

What is Robin's best aerial? I love using BAir after having a lot of experiences with good BAirs, but it seems like most people think FAir or UAir are better. Why is that? Just a damage to speed issue or is there something else?

Thanks if anyone responds.
This is a week late, if you already found answers to your questions or you moved on from Robin already then I apologize.

To answer the first question (How does Robin deal with characters that can switch from heavy defensive to constant aggression on three seconds?)

This is one of the biggest areas Robin struggles in. He has problems being aggressive in neutral, and he also has problems countering extreme aggression while he's in a disadvantaged state. Characters that can safely play defensively, then switch to offensive play on the fly are definitely a problem. I'd be lying if I said I knew exactly how to handle this myself, but my best advice is to remember all your options. Arcthunder is an incredible move, but it's not always the best at neutralizing heavy offensive play. Pretty much every guide you read will tell you to charge Thunder as much as you can, but sometimes, if you know the opponent has an offensive playstyle on a fast character like sonic or fox, peppering them with an uncharged neutral B can be an effective way to keep them from getting in.
Other than that, jab and nair can be good anti pressure options. If Elwind hits then it can work as a mixup for escaping pressure from below.

I pretty much answered the second question up there ^^^

For the third question: All of Robin's aerials are good. I'm going to say that again for emphasis. All of Robin's aerials are good. What makes them good, however, is knowing when you should be using them. I'll briefly go over each one to the best of my ability. All of these are taking into account that they're the Levin versions

As you mentioned, Bair is very good. The disjoint is fairly large, the speed, angle of the attack, and power are all incredible for a variety of uses. In addition to standard bair uses (ledge trumping, intercepting people who try to overextend, etc.) Bair is also incredibly good in neutral. It autocancels off of a short hop; due to its safety you can throw it out quite a bit.

A lot of people consider Fair to be better than Bair for a few reasons. One of them is that both of them can autocancel off of short hop and are good tools to use in neutral. Both of them have about the same horizontal range, but Fair has a better arc for applying pressure (although bair is still more useful in specific scenarios)
Fair will combo into itself at low percents, and it deals good damage.

Upair is Robin's best aerial in my opinion. It has tremendous knockback, and an extremely wide arc that it travels. It can be used after a Fair more often than not, and of course after a down throw for a kill. It also hits surprisingly low in front of Robin. It can be used to catch some people off guard with "aerial footsies" The weak hit (at the end of the animation just below and behind Robin) can combo into a strong upair or a bair depending on DI

Dair is the most niche aerial of Robin's, but it is still incredibly strong. You should pretty much only use it off stage if you see them recovering low. It looks like it hits in front of Robin, but it doesn't. Elwind is more reliable for a spike. Dair is a little less safe and a little more offensive. Nothing much else to say. It's just a solid, strong dair.

I haven't found the absolute best scenario to use Nair in, so maybe someone else can extrapolate on it for me. Nair is good for gimping due to the angle it sends people at. It has a good disjoint, so it's good for hitting around Robin's flanks, akin to a downsmash. I can't really say much more on it, and I wish I could. Nair is definitely really good, and should be used semi often.

Last edited:

Zubatman27

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zubatcontrol
Well glad you decided to pick up Robin! They have a bit of a learning curve, but they're very fun when you get into them. :)
The first step is familiarizing yourself with how many uses you have with every one of your item reliant moves.
  • Neutral Special has 20 uses, Thunder costs 1 use, Elthunder costs 3 uses, Arcthunder costs 5 uses, Thoron costs 8 uses
  • Nosferatu has 4 uses
  • Elwind has 9 uses, every second you hold Robin's wind jab uses 1/2 a use,
You should always try to keep track of how many uses you have left on your items, but you can tell if an item has a low amount of uses left if it's flashing. You shouldn't rely too much on looking for flashing items, but it can be very useful in notifying you when Robin is about to toss them.
While all of these are important to pay attention to, I would suggest making particular effort towards keeping track of the uses left on arcfire and your Levin Sword. If either is unavailable at a crucial moment where you need to apply pressure then Robin loses a ton of momentum.

This is just all the basic data to keep in mind for item uses. Just as a personal recommendation: Because you mentioned you're new to Robin I wouldn't focus a tremendous amount on knowing exactly when your item is going to run out of charges. If Robin loses any of these it's not the end of the world, so try to focus on just getting the feel of Robin down for now. The flashing mechanic exists for a reason. I'd be surprised if any Robin player kept meticulous track of all their Elwind uses. Hope you have success playing everyone's favorite tactician!

This is a week late, if you already found answers to your questions or you moved on from Robin already then I apologize.

To answer the first question (How does Robin deal with characters that can switch from heavy defensive to constant aggression on three seconds?)

This is one of the biggest areas Robin struggles in. He has problems being aggressive in neutral, and he also has problems countering extreme aggression while he's in a disadvantaged state. Characters that can safely play defensively, then switch to offensive play on the fly are definitely a problem. I'd be lying if I said I knew exactly how to handle this myself, but my best advice is to remember all your options. Arcthunder is an incredible move, but it's not always the best at neutralizing heavy offensive play. Pretty much every guide you read will tell you to charge Thunder as much as you can, but sometimes, if you know the opponent has an offensive playstyle on a fast character like sonic or fox, peppering them with an uncharged neutral B can be an effective way to keep them from getting in.
Other than that, jab and nair can be good anti pressure options. If Elwind hits then it can work as a mixup for escaping pressure from below.

For the third question: All of Robin's aerials are good. I'm going to say that again for emphasis. All of Robin's aerials are good. What makes them good, however, is knowing when you should be using them. I'll briefly go over each one to the best of my ability. All of these are taking into account that they're the Levin versions

As you mentioned, Bair is very good. The disjoint is fairly large, the speed, angle of the attack, and power are all incredible for a variety of uses. In addition to standard bair uses (ledge trumping, intercepting people who try to overextend, etc.) Bair is also incredibly good in neutral. It autocancels off of a short hop; due to its safety you can throw it out quite a bit.

A lot of people consider Fair to be better than Bair for a few reasons. One of them is that both of them can autocancel off of short hop and are good tools to use in neutral. Both of them have about the same horizontal range, but Fair has a better arc for applying pressure (although bair is still more useful in specific scenarios)

Upair is Robin's best aerial in my opinion. It has tremendous knockback, and an extremely wide arc that it travels. It can be used after a Fair more often than not, and of course after a down throw for a kill. It also hits surprisingly low in front of Robin. It can be used to catch some people off guard with "aerial footsies" The weak hit (at the end of the animation just below and behind Robin) can combo into a strong upair or a bair depending on DI

Dair is the most niche aerial of Robin's, but it is still incredibly strong. You should pretty much only use it off stage if you see them recovering low. It looks like it hits in front of Robin, but it doesn't. Elwind is more reliable for a spike. Dair is a little less safe and a little more offensive. Nothing much else to say. It's just a solid, strong dair.

I haven't found the absolute best scenario to use Nair in, so maybe someone else can extrapolate on it for me. Nair is good for gimping due to the angle it sends people at. It has a good disjoint, so it's good for hitting around Robin's flanks, akin to a downsmash. I can't really say much more on it, and I wish I could. Nair is definitely really good, and should be used semi often.
Thanks for the help, I decided to pick up robin because the character feels the most comfortable to me.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Just wondering about ledge punishing with Elwind... This probably sounds insane to some, but I've done some serious damage with it. Is there merit in this, or is it just too dangerous?

I've managed to punish get-ups from the ledge (what feels like on reaction), spiking opponents mid-getup. -but I don't actually know what options it covers. I'm going to assume it covers attack and regular get-up (I'm sure it covers letting go since them letting go is basically them letting you Elwind spike them.), and maybe jump , but I'm very unsure about how it covers rolling from ledge. -it also seems ineffectual at low %s, but at low %s when it does work, it often ends up punishable anyway, so it's highly unrecommended.

-either way, I was just wondering if someone knew about this in more depth since I can't find anything on it and labbing on 3DS is awful.

Janno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Janno123
idk about punishing ledge get up options with elwind (never done it before)
but getting those 2 frames when they snap the ledge and spike them with elwind is definitely a thing thats worth going for. like im no way near consistant at it, but i've done it multiple times so far and got some early kills. I think if I ever feel like labbing again, thats a thing i will most likely train

Zoramine Fae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8088-7214
  • Nosferatu has 4 uses
  • Elwind has 9 uses, every second you hold Robin's wind jab uses 1/2 a use,

Thanks a lot. I already use Up Air alot and Neutral Air, but I still love Back Air since it just is so fast. Despite this I'll be putting off playing as Robin too much for the next few days as I'm reworking on a Little Mac guide that will cover a lot more than conventional ones. Like, some twenty or thirty thousand words longer. Because I'm a nutjob who has no life.

Speaking of which, uh, how does Robin deal with Little Mac? If I can understand that much of the matchup, that will make one portion of what I'm doing much easier. I'm working on tips for fighting each character in the cast in my guide, and thats why I need this.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
idk about punishing ledge get up options with elwind (never done it before)
but getting those 2 frames when they snap the ledge and spike them with elwind is definitely a thing thats worth going for. like im no way near consistant at it, but i've done it multiple times so far and got some early kills. I think if I ever feel like labbing again, thats a thing i will most likely train
Yeah, considering that Elwind is frame 8(? IIRC) it basically gives you get a free spike if you get good at the timing of punishing ledge options. I'm no-where near consistent enough with it, but again, I just wanted to know if it was even worth training - I completely forgot about the ledge-grab vulnerability frames, too, so I might start aiming for those over the actual get-up option when possible.

Also figure that if you miss and your opponent is at high enough %, the second hit of Elwind can theoretically catch them out of ledge vulnerability at high %s or mid-get-up if they're hasty.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Question: Is Arcthunder considered a "grab"? I've noticed that following up with a grab shortens the time til the opponent is able to break free, regardless of damage %. Is there a internal mechanic I'm ignorant of besides the grab cooldown? I've noticed this when I get a grab when the Arcthunder is still active and the opponent is still taking damage from it.

Last edited:

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Question: Is Arcthunder considered a "grab"? I've noticed that following up with a grab shortens the time til the opponent is able to break free, regardless of damage %. Is there a internal mechanic I'm ignorant of besides the grab cooldown? I've noticed this when I get a grab when the Arcthunder is still active and the opponent is still taking damage from it.
As far as I know, it's just that taking damage while grabbed will shorten the time it takes to break free, mostly to avoid pummels taking forever I'd imagine. You can test it just by holding a grab in practice without pummels compared to pummeling once, twice, etc.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Thanks, Conn. This was something I should of figured.

theyellowflash26

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theyellowflash26
3DS FC
3153-5006-0716
Just wondering, can anyone confirm whether or not the jab changes for Robin make a difference? For example, does Fire Jab properly connect without having to delay it weirdly? Or can people still shield, airdodge, or attack in between the hits? I can't test this at the moment.

Nah

Smash Champion
Just wondering, can anyone confirm whether or not the jab changes for Robin make a difference? For example, does Fire Jab properly connect without having to delay it weirdly? Or can people still shield, airdodge, or attack in between the hits? I can't test this at the moment.
From the little bit of testing I did fire jab seems to now true combo without the need to delay inputs or anything starting around 35% on Fox and around 40% on Link. Floaties (like Link) seem to be able to sometimes escape starting around 130 or 140% if they DI up and mash jump, but someone would need to look into it a bit more.

theyellowflash26

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theyellowflash26
3DS FC
3153-5006-0716
Okay I was able to test it. It does in fact true combo now. I'm pretty happy about that.

_Shinta_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinta_kenshin
3DS FC
4914-4219-5499
Maybe placebo... But I think the that Jab jab grab is easier now thus allowing us to lead it to checkmate in kill percents. It's something I been trying to implement more and my usual saving grace against Fox's. Seems easier anyway.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Okay, so Fire Jab has a range where it links properly now even though it doesn't always link? I was worried this was a slight nerf when I noticed how the higher angle made it easier to get out of Wind Jab, but maybe we're merely trading the ability to do a lot of damage with Wind Jab at mid-high percents for the ability to do a reliable 11% with Fire Jab at most percents?

What else could the new knockback angles and slightly raised distance help us do?

Casey Chase

Undine~
3DS FC
1521-4138-1029
Maybe placebo... But I think the that Jab jab grab is easier now thus allowing us to lead it to checkmate in kill percents. It's something I been trying to implement more and my usual saving grace against Fox's. Seems easier anyway.
How do you do jab jab grab? I always end up using fire when I hit grab. Are there any other inputs?

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
How do you do jab jab grab? I always end up using fire when I hit grab. Are there any other inputs?
No, you have to wait a bit, then input grab. The timing is tricky; too early and you fire jab, too late and you miss. You'll have to practice to get it right.

Ninety

Smash Journeyman
So, sorry for keeping on harping on a question that's been asked a billion times already, but I gots Checkmate issues. Specifically, is it ever a true combo? Just for labbing purposes, I've been testing with lvl 9 CPUs set to Run on Training Mode, and they seem to be invariably capable of airdodging the uair, no matter the weight and percentage (and considering Rage isn't in Training Mode). I'm on 3DS right now which makes it hard to follow DI, but I've been testing for a while now and it's getting a tad frustrating -- so, is it actually 100% guaranteed, even against an opponent with frame-1 reactions, in any situations?

Avokha

NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
So, sorry for keeping on harping on a question that's been asked a billion times already, but I gots Checkmate issues. Specifically, is it ever a true combo? Just for labbing purposes, I've been testing with lvl 9 CPUs set to Run on Training Mode, and they seem to be invariably capable of airdodging the uair, no matter the weight and percentage (and considering Rage isn't in Training Mode). I'm on 3DS right now which makes it hard to follow DI, but I've been testing for a while now and it's getting a tad frustrating -- so, is it actually 100% guaranteed, even against an opponent with frame-1 reactions, in any situations?
The answer to this is YES, the Checkmate is 100% a TRUE combo, meaning it is inescapable, with the only action its recipients can perform being DI, which can be read. Don't mean to be blunt, but if you are having trouble landing it, that is pretty much your own fault.
Just keep practicing, make sure the opponents (whether human or CPU) are within the correct percent window, and account for DI. Also remember that you should find it much easier on human foes, as they do not typically have frame perfect reaction times. Good luck ;)

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Dthrow's weight dependent, meaning heavy characters will add more endlag to your throw.

Doing some messing around with it and I can get it to combo on Bayonetta for a decent range with her having no chance to escape even with frame 1 Bat Within, but Bowser's able to airdodge even when buffering a frame perfect uair (though around 110% his frame 4 airdodge is still too slow to save him).

I don't play this character so I couldn't tell you whose weight/airdodge speeds matter, but it's something to consider. It is definitely real on the majority of relevant characters though, just tight. Nevermind it registers as a real combo on Dedede at kill percent, so I think Bowser's the only outlier and he still has a window where he can't escape despite being able to act.

Last edited:

_Shinta_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinta_kenshin
3DS FC
4914-4219-5499
Here's some suggestions that's helped me hit it consistently.

1) In training room try buffering a jump as supposed to guessing when the d throw animation will end. If having trouble slow it down to half speed and just mash jump constantly so you can see a visual reference for when the buffer jump actually starts.

2) next try following the buffered jump with an up air. You'll know if your too late if they air dodge. If you go too fast an up smash will come out instead (due to canceling the jump animation). So timing seems a bit strict but once you know it its something you get used to quickly.

3) Now practice following the DI. Can do this against CPUs or just set it to control, and hold the game pad or second controller to whichever side you want. Yes it's premeditated but the point would be to let your eyes and reflexes all work at once so you can register this in an actual match and it'll be automatic.

It is a true combo but you do have to perform t quickly. It works at certain range of percents depending on rage etc. There's a document somewhere if someone can be so kind to attach it. I myself don't know exact percentages off top of my head but I use a rule of thumb that it
true combos cpt falcon somewhere around 90% to 110% (just rough estimates please don't burn me with your arc fire). Cpt falcon give or take is middle weight of the cast. So add more / less percentages for heavies / fast fallers to floaties. Again it isn't scientific, just a cheat sheet.

4) practice in offline mainly until you have it down. Even if that means against LVl 9 CPUs. Don't want something like lag to get in your way of your results.

5) Everyone else whose competitive in the scene pretty much knows the checkmate deal, so a good mixups in higher percents (or when you visually notice the d throw seems them a bit too high and your unsure you will hit it) is to just do a full hop towards them. They will more then likely spam airdodge out of fear. Wait it out and bam.

Again just a mixup that manipulates their own worries basically.

Hope that helps

Top Bottom