• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Barracks - Robin Q&A Thread [ASK GAMEPLAY QUESTIONS HERE]

Hong

The Strongest
Welcome, Tacticians! This thread serves as a place where you can ask all your gameplay-related questions in regards to Robin in Smash 4. In addition, this is also where you can assist your fellow curious Tacticians-in-need, and answer their questions.

Before you post here, you are encouraged to check the Robin moveset data thread.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Excellent idea.

*watched*
´
Actually i have a question i haven't posted over in the moveset-data thread: From what I've seen Robins back"roll" is actually the animation used in FE:A when a character "backs out" from a teamattack (i have no idea how to describe it otherwise...like, they run in but before reaching the enemy jump back), and it doesn't seem to cover much distance. Would, after expending a tome/levin sword, that backjump bring you in perfect position to catch the tossed Tome/Sword? I think it should be about, if not the exact distance the tomes/swords are tossed behind Robin.

Last edited:

slimjim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FS-slimjim
3DS FC
4296-3887-2717
´
Actually i have a question i haven't posted over in the moveset-data thread: From what I've seen Robins back"roll" is actually the animation used in FE:A when a character "backs out" from a teamattack (i have no idea how to describe it otherwise...like, they run in but before reaching the enemy jump back), and it doesn't seem to cover much distance. Would, after expending a tome/levin sword, that backjump bring you in perfect position to catch the tossed Tome/Sword? I think it should be about, if not the exact distance the tomes/swords are tossed behind Robin.
In regards to this, I would love to hear as well from someone with the full game what exactly our options are for getting a used-up levin sword/tome into our hands. I can assume turn around and jab or dash attack at it, but do we have a short-hop air dodge grab? If we drop it in the air, can we catch it before it hits the ground with an aerial or z-catch?

Last edited:

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
I know that Robin's AAA combo changes if he's holding the Wind Tome or the Fire Tome, but do they change if Robin is holding a Dark Tome or Thunder Tome? Or does it change back to Wind or Fire?

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I know that Robin's AAA combo changes if he's holding the Wind Tome or the Fire Tome, but do they change if Robin is holding a Dark Tome or Thunder Tome? Or does it change back to Wind or Fire?
The finisher on Robins Jab is not affected by the tome Robin is holding which means there is no dark or thunder version of his jab. I'm not completely sure what dictates a wind or fire finisher but I THINK its hold down A (wind) versus taping A (fire).

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
The finisher on Robins Jab is not affected by the tome Robin is holding which means there is no dark or thunder version of his jab. I'm not completely sure what dictates a wind or fire finisher but I THINK its hold down A (wind) versus taping A (fire).
Other way around, look at Razieks moveset data thread fot more detailed info. Mash A fpr wind and press a once/hold a for fire.

CSDragon

Smash Journeyman
Can you actually pick up and throw your discarded tomes/levan swrods? Or was that just speculation?

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Can you actually pick up and throw your discarded tomes/levan swrods? Or was that just speculation?
You can, the tomes even reliably K.O. a Dark Pit at 110% (was found out by a guy that posted in the moveset-data thread). Which is why i asked whether or not one back"roll" would position Robin at the perfect spot to catch the tome, so you could in theory use last Arcfire->backroll->catch tossed tome->hit the guy possibly still caught in arcfire in the face with it.

•Col•

Smash Champion
In regards to this, I would love to hear as well from someone with the full game what exactly our options are for getting a used-up levin sword/tome into our hands. I can assume turn around and jab or dash attack at it, but do we have a short-hop air dodge grab? If we drop it in the air, can we catch it before it hits the ground with an aerial or z-catch?
You definitely have enough time to grab it out of the air.

http://www.twitch.tv/clashtournaments/b/568701712

Watch around 4:27:55 in that video. The Robin does a fair, causing the Levin Sword to break. He jumps up and grabs the broken sword after it bounces off the ground.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
´
Back-roll takes you too far.

Best options are Z-catching it, simply turning around and grabbing it (it doesn't go very far beuind), or SH Nair to catch it. Catching it in the air is a much more difficult task. The tome moves have enough recovery time that you pretty much have to grab it after it bounces. Catching the Levin Sword is much easier due to the low lag on Robin's aerials.
Do Robin's grabs change based on the tome he's holding?
Nope!
Other way around, look at Razieks moveset data thread fot more detailed info. Mash A fpr wind and press a once/hold a for fire.
This is correct.
Definitely can.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Back-roll takes you too far.

Best options are Z-catching it, simply turning around and grabbing it (it doesn't go very far beuind), or SH Nair to catch it.
Hm.. I swear i a robin going like literally just one "Robin model width" backwards with his... could it be that its cancelable? I'll try to find the video now.

EDIT: Here this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGUGE5ruIm8 at around 4:50. He jumps back but i have seen him jump back a farther distance like 10 seconds or so earlier, or my eyes trick me... maybe a short hop backwards will get you in reach...? It would be nice if there was some "standardized" movement you could use to catch tomes/sword if you exhaust your sword/tome on the ground.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
So something occurred to me last night. One of Robin's weaknesses is not having many "get off me" moves, right? How well do you think Robin's grab could pull that off?

•Col•

Smash Champion
So something occurred to me last night. One of Robin's weaknesses is not having many "get off me" moves, right? How well do you think Robin's grab could pull that off?
Not well at all considering his grab range is poor.

Also, grabs typically aren't the best 'get off me' move, aside from grabbing out of shield as a punish. Even then, like I said, his shield grab is very, very poor. Go watch the video Raziek posted. It's definitely not the 'get off me' move.

His best option, my guess, would be dtilts and jabs. Possibly ftilt as well. Otherwise, running/jumping away will probably be the best option since Robin has decent air control and retreating fairs/bairs/arcfires look to be pretty safe.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
I'll move this here then.

So, Arcthunder has a very long hitstun, but it's slow. I know DI would possibly affect some things, but could a combo like Arcfire -> Arcthunder -> Nosferatu/Grab be possible? By the same token, at close range a chain like Arcfire -> Down-Smash seems plausible as a kill move. Using another move with far greater knockback would knock the opponent out of the Arcfire, correct? (Much like how being buried worked before) That aside, is B-Throw a viable kill move? It seems very strong in KB for a throw but @ Raziek Raziek says it doesn't kill until around 200.

Last edited:

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace

So, Arcthunder has a very long hitstun, but it's slow. I know DI would possibly affect some things, but could a combo like Arcfire -> Arcthunder -> Nosferatu/Grab be possible? By the same token, at close range a chain like Arcfire -> Down-Smash seems plausible as a kill move. Using another move with far greater knockback would knock the opponent out of the Arcfire, correct? (Much like how being buried worked before) That aside, is B-Throw a viable kill move? It seems very strong in KB for a throw but @ Raziek Raziek says it doesn't kill until around 200.
Arcfire -> Arcthunder is definitely possible, I've seen it happen in a few matches. I guess the question just then comes down to whether or not you have enough time to get into grab/Nosferatu range. (Nosferatu is probably the easier of the two to land, based on what I've been hearing about Robin's grab range.)

On Back Throw, I've seen it kill around 140% on ROB, who is a heavy weight. From the centre of the stage, no less.

Last edited:

Dust the Baptist

Weeaboos aren't people.
NNID
Mank210
3DS FC
2809-9541-0380
I have a question do you think that the ZSS infinite combo on Robin will cripple his chances of being viable in tourney, cause that would be a shame.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
Arcfire -> Arcthunder is definitely possible, I've seen it happen in a few matches. I guess the question just then comes down to whether or not you have enough time to get into grab/Nosferatu range. (Nosferatu is probably the easier of the two to land, based on what I've been hearing about Robin's grab range.)

On Back Throw, I've seen it kill around 140% on ROB, who is a heavy weight. From the centre of the stage, no less.
Very good to know. Thanks!

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
That aside, is B-Throw a viable kill move? It seems very strong in KB for a throw but @ Raziek Raziek says it doesn't kill until around 200.

I went ahead and played some 'For Glory' 1v1's, and I've got to say I was surprised about how strong B-throw is. I don't know why I was getting such high numbers in training mode. I intend to edit the guide accordingly.

Also, I am terrified of Little Mac. Pray that your local TO doesn't adopt an 'FD only' ruleset, because if he does, I don't think Robin can win without custom specials. His ground game is ridiculous.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
I went ahead and played some 'For Glory' 1v1's, and I've got to say I was surprised about how strong B-throw is. I don't know why I was getting such high numbers in training mode. I intend to edit the guide accordingly.

Also, I am terrified of Little Mac. Pray that your local TO doesn't adopt an 'FD only' ruleset, because if he does, I don't think Robin can win without custom specials. His ground game is ridiculous.
Yeah, that's a good point to bring up; Little Mac seriously scares me for Robin. Also, great to know B-throw is as strong as it seems. Why FD only for Little Mac though? Frankly, most non-banned stages don't have much variance or much that forces little mac to jump. Sure, Battlefield has platforms, but Up-B seems good enough to make the platforms less of an issue. Frankly I'm just scared of little mac (even though a B-throw at, like, 70% will murder him due to his garbage recovery.)

CSDragon

Smash Journeyman
You can, the tomes even reliably K.O. a Dark Pit at 110% (was found out by a guy that posted in the moveset-data thread). Which is why i asked whether or not one back"roll" would position Robin at the perfect spot to catch the tome, so you could in theory use last Arcfire->backroll->catch tossed tome->hit the guy possibly still caught in arcfire in the face with it.
How long can they stay out once caught?

Do they poof on next contact with the ground or do they bounce a bit then poof? Or do they act like standard items from that point on and poof after sitting still for a good period of time?

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Bounce then poof. Very quick to disappear if you don't catch them after the poof.

Pretty sure once you've caught one, you can hold it indefinitely until you throw it.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
So between the further off blastzones and the new Vectoring mechanic, it seems competent edgeguarding will be more of an advantage than ever before. What do you feel are Robin's best tools offstage, and how risky can we afford to be with edgeguarding/gimping without SDing?

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Best tools offstage are definitely fair and bair. Lots of range, good angle, able to pick up kills with the LS versions.

Robin can afford to be fairly risky, but make sure you finish while facing the ledge, if you can. You can't snap to the ledge backwards DURING Elwind (only after), so I would pick Bair as my edge-guarding tool if they're recovering low, Fair if they're going high.

CSDragon

Smash Journeyman
Bounce then poof. Very quick to disappear if you don't catch them after the poof.

Pretty sure once you've caught one, you can hold it indefinitely until you throw it.
I meant, once you've caught one and thrown it, does it still poof early if you don't recatch or do they become normal throwing items after that point and stick around on the ground.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Oh, once you've thrown them they disappear immediately I think. Too lazy to turn it on and double-check at the moment.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace

Well, I am 99% sure that it is possible with Nosferatu 2. The range on it seems to be perfect to pull this combo off, And i think i saw someone follow up with a smash on Arcthunder, so close range followup on it is definitly possible, but the question is whether the range of Arcfire (if hit on maximum range i mean) allows for it with Nosferatu 1... My theory is its possible when doing it frame-perfect, like Arcfire->Dash Forward->Arcthunder->Dash forward->Nosferatu. With Nosferatu 3's hitbox/windbox it should also be doable. Also depends on how fast people can DI out of Arcfire, DI'ing out of Arcthunder doesn't seem possible.

CSDragon

Smash Journeyman
Oh, once you've thrown them they disappear immediately I think. Too lazy to turn it on and double-check at the moment.
ok, so they work like turnips then? I hope they poof on ground touch and not on enemy impact so you can recatch if you hit your opponent

•Col•

Smash Champion
Best tools offstage are definitely fair and bair. Lots of range, good angle, able to pick up kills with the LS versions.

Robin can afford to be fairly risky, but make sure you finish while facing the ledge, if you can. You can't snap to the ledge backwards DURING Elwind (only after), so I would pick Bair as my edge-guarding tool if they're recovering low, Fair if they're going high.
Can you not b-reversal Elwind? Because in brawl the vast majority of specials could be reversed.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Can you not b-reversal Elwind? Because in brawl the vast majority of specials could be reversed.
I buggered around with it a bit, and yes, it can be B-reversed, so you'd be fine to use fair as a low edge-guard if you want, but my main concern that I was pointing out is that if you have to recover from below the stage, you're in trouble unless you can face backwards and 'ride' the lip up.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
That's not how it works - you mash A to do the wind variant (uses tome charges), or just do "a-a-a" to do the fire variant (uses tome charges).

Folt

Smash Ace
What are Robin's custom specials called? We know them to be variants of the moves so they should have similiar names, right?

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
If I could speak Japanese I could tell you. If you know someone who can, I can get an image of them to be translated.

isoZero

Smash Rookie
Is anyone else having difficulty consistently pulling off the wind jab finisher? It seems like no matter how fast I mash attack, I am still using the fire finisher more often than the wind finisher. What am I doing wrong?

edit: Wait, can the wind finisher only be done if you connect with the previous hits? I can pull it off against the enemy in Training Mode, but not against the air when I am away from the enemy.

Last edited:

Folt

Smash Ace
If I could speak Japanese I could tell you. If you know someone who can, I can get an image of them to be translated.
Actually, I'd like a picture of the name of Nosferatu 3 if you don't mind, since that's the one I'm most interested in currently.

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
Sry if I overlooked this or if it's something obvious, but is there a way to consistently use the Leven(I think I misspelled that lmao) sword in your aerials or is it just a % chance thing?

Top Bottom