• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The atheist's journey - Religious Debate for the mature

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoronMoron

Smash Cadet
I see what you're saying, yes, and I see the small wording error I made in my explanation. The Earth was not created during the Big Bang; however, it was beginning to form soon after. Stars were being created at around the same time as Earth; granted, not all of them, but were still some being created.

As for the division of the days, that was to show that God cares for his creatures and is spending so long preparing for His creation. If it had said "God created everything at once," that would show that he's just flexing His divine muscle, creating just to create; a bit overwhelming, no? However, dividing it out shows that He wanted to prepare for our coming, to make everything "just right."

Just because God is omnipotent doesn't mean He can't get lonely once in a while. I believe although He is a God, He gets very human emotions, such as lonliness (other emotions of his are shown in the Bible, so why not lonliness?). So he created us to share in His glory, but also gave us free will to allow us to do what pleases us as well as Him. He was hoping we'd choose good; unfortunately, more often than not, evil is chosen.

To sum up some of what I said: He definitely can, and does, create things to make Himself happy, but He is not selfish about it.

As far as the terms go, it is a matter of the readers understanding how long He worked on the world. He spent one day (from when they began working until they stopped; NOT 24 hrs) on each part of Creation, and they could understand that. Keep in mind that they were inspired by God; He did not dictate to them. They took God's message and put its absolute hugeness into words; it is hard to describe the message in writing, so they did it to the best of their abilities.

Gamer CJ

Smash Rookie
well, as for the days length for god, the bible says that a day for god is 2000 years for us humans. and also, yeah thats interesting about adam being all man. but i beleive that he made many many men, not just adam as an individual. for instance, keep in mind the bible doesnt tell us everything nor is it obligated to.

pokemonmaster01

BRoomer
BRoomer
Originally posted by Gamer CJ
keep in mind the bible doesnt tell us everything nor is it obligated to.
Then why is it that the bible is treated as the complete and official reccord and truth of the past present and future. The bible is supposedly perfect, but what you just said is that the bible is unreliable and therefore, imperfect.

Originally posted by goronmoron
I believe although He is a God, He gets very human emotions, such as lonliness (other emotions of his are shown in the Bible, so why not lonliness?)
Emotion- one of the reasons human beings are imperfect. But a perfect god would be nothing like a human because humans are imperfect, correct? Emotion is flaw. So by definition: a flawless god would be emotionless.

Gamer CJ

Smash Rookie
The bible is supposedly perfect, but what you just said is that the bible is unreliable and therefore, imperfect.
where did you get that from!? i never said its unreliable, i said it doesnt tell us everything. it doesnt tell us jesus favorite song, it doesnt tell us what he did for his 8th b-day, doesnt say alot of things. dont you think it would be too big if it told EVERY single nit picking thing that ever happened in history!? like i said before, not obligated, doesnt have to tell every single thing, told us what we needed to know and its enough.

and what makes emotions mae us weak? so you saying that it is better if we never have emotions? without emotions, we wouldnt care anough to live or care about anyone we knew or care to love and marry or even feel the attraction to reproduce.

of course god has emotions. and what exactly make someone flawed if they dont have emotions anyway?

GoronMoron

Smash Cadet
Here are some quotes showing that God has emotions:

Numbers 22:22
But God was angry because he was going, and the angel of the LORD took his stand in the way as an adversary against him. Now he was riding on his donkey and his two servants were with him.

Anger is an emotion, is it not?

Deuteronomy 32:21
'They have made Me jealous with what is not God;
They have provoked Me to anger with their idols.
So I will make them jealous with those who are not a people;
I will provoke them to anger with a foolish nation,

Wow, jealousy and anger!

I can find more, but I believe I have proved my point; even though I have only two references, it is enough. God has emotions (shown here by anger and jealousy).

Mike da King

Smash Apprentice
The Bible is not proof. Why should God have emotions? He (the Father) has no hypothalamus, no physical body to speak of at all. Even if He did, He would never be angry or jealous- He is omnipotent! Why not simply be happy all the time? His being angry is silly because He determined everything that has and will ever occur.
The question of the Bible's perfection was brought about as the result of obvious errors in the creation story. To believe in the flawlessness of the Bible as some do is ridiculous.

GoronMoron

Smash Cadet
I have said it before, I will say it again: the Bible is not historically accurate. However, God inspired the writers, who wrote His message down in the best way they could. In that way, it is infallible. It shows God is a tender, loving God who cares for his creation, NOT a heartless, cold God who creates and destroys on a whim.

Mike da King

Smash Apprentice
God inspired the writers, who wrote His message down in the best way they could. In that way, it is infallible.
If it contains erroneous information, the Bible is in no way infallible. God could send a clear message to His followers if He existed, but instead chose to inspire some people to write a book without filling them in on the facts. It makes no sense.
It shows God is a tender, loving God who cares for his creation, NOT a heartless, cold God who creates and destroys on a whim.
Actually, it shows God as BOTH careful and destructive. When His creations displease Him, He sometimes chooses to obliterate them (consider the Noah's Ark myth).

The Bible is merely a guide to Christians. It contains Christian mythology, not history. Just as with ancient Greek mythology, the Bible is contradicted by information that its writers could not have known. Christians assert that the Bible contains truth on some level, just as the Greeks did of their mythology thousands of years ago. As I see it, the Bible is unreliable. Despite supposed "divine inspiration," it contains untruths. There is no REASON to believe that anything written in the Bible is true, even if it has not been proven false.

GoronMoron

Smash Cadet
You misunderstand what infallibility is. It means that, on matters of faith and religion, it contains no errors. It is not historically accurate; I never claimed it was.

The Flood happened because the evilness of His creations saddened him, and he had doubts. However, he didn't wipe them ALL out, as we all know. He gave the human race a second chance in the form of Noah.

StudStyle

Smash Cadet
Originally posted by Mike da King
The Bible is merely a guide to Christians. It contains Christian mythology, not history. Just as with ancient Greek mythology, the Bible is contradicted by information that its writers could not have known. Christians assert that the Bible contains truth on some level, just as the Greeks did of their mythology thousands of years ago. As I see it, the Bible is unreliable. Despite supposed "divine inspiration," it contains untruths. There is no REASON to believe that anything written in the Bible is true, even if it has not been proven false.
Mythology?? I have to greatly disagree, I am a Christian myself and although I do not know the Bible that well I can tell you from what I know it is NOT mythology. For one, the bible is over 3000 years old as far as we know and for something that isn't true, who would want to keep it passed down? Unlike Greek mythology, the Bible has things you can believe. Greek mythology isn't exactly something you can follow or believe since its mostly stories. I at first as a child thought it was real but then realized that God was God not Zeus. Also there isn't any proof besides the stories themselves that what was Greek mythology existed.
Is there proof that all that was in the Bible existed? Yes. The Bible itself is a proof of it, Jesus' disciples wrote letters and many of them ended up in it. If your saying that whats in the Bible is not true, then your saying that Jesus is untrue since most of it is by him. Also keep in mind that the Old Testament of the Bible is mostly Jewish laws including the Torah while the New Testament is about Jesus. Your correct on the Bible being a guide to Christians but its not an easy guide, Christians are taught not to take everything literally but dwell on them and find the truth behind it.

pokemonmaster01

BRoomer
BRoomer
People don't kill people- god kills people

You may be wondering about my subject. Well, what that is about is this- during the supposed "great flood" god drowns all humans excluding noah and his family. Did noah belong to an inter-racial family? Because the last time I checked, there is more than one race of people in the world.

Studstyle: Just because the bible is old doesn't mean it's true. How long did the greeks believe in their religion? How long have the Japanese believed in Shinto? Do you believe in these religions? They're old and have been passed down; fits your criteria, no?

Goron Moron: Infallible means incapable of error. It is not a religion-specific word in terms of use.

GoronMoron

Smash Cadet
Yes, but when used in a religious sense (the Bible), it DOES mean (pulled from www.dictionary.com):

in·fal·li·ble
3. Roman Catholic Church - Incapable of error in expounding doctrine on faith or morals.

In a normal use of the word, it means free from all error; when used in a religious sense, it means free from error on matters of faith or morals. The Bible contains our faith and our morals.

StudStyle

Smash Cadet
I don't believe in any religion except maybe a touch of Buddhism because it doesn't make you focus and learn about a God but rather about yourself. Being Christian, believe me if you wish, I have had what you may call, "experiences"/"miracles"/whatever where I know and the presence of God was there. I think all other religions are a joke and were made up. Only reason they are passed down is because people actually believe they are real. Look an Hinduism, Hindu people worship more than one God, ask them if they have a had such a religious experience with a God or miracle happen to them. I personally believe that Hinduism is one large story (no offence) from what I have studied from it. As old as they may be, I still believe that non of Christianity is a myth, or is made up, or is no real, I guess its because like every European Christian, your brought up to believe Christianity is THE religion and don't even think about any other.

thebigxer

Smash Journeyman
Many people dont choose they're religioin it is given to them most times so many believe it because it was passed down to them like chrisitianity.

pokemonmaster01

BRoomer
BRoomer
To goron moron: ****... *needs to buy a new dictonary*

To studstyle: I guess a religion could be compared to a person's lanuage. Like this, when you are concieved you are just some cells, and later, an unborn child. No effective way of communication(besides maybe crying). But when the child is born his or her parents bestow a language upon the child. Even after the language is mastered, all other languages sound like jibberish to the child. Now, the child didn't choose to learn the language that he or she did and is pretty much stuck with it untill the power to change it arises, and even then it is a slow process.

The only reason it is hard for one to see eye to eye with another religion is because the person is not use to it. If you grew up speaking Japanese (and nothing else) could you go to mexico and suddenly speak fluent spanish? Speaking a language is a lot like obeying a religion. Their common factors are: Location of the world, ability to comprehend, languages/religions of the community, passed down among generations/ slightly altered along the way, sense it makes to the individual, and age learned.

So I can perfectly see why you only believe in Christianity/ slight buddhist

Xipotec

Smash Rookie
religion is fake, i believe it's even bin proven. poeple belive in "god's" bcause your brain tells you to. i saw it on discovery. and BTW there a SOOO many beliefs in the world, so even if theres 1 true belief, all the others are wrong.

i think you should just be good in this life and then die.

Bumble Bee Tuna

Dolphin-Safe
BRoomer
I don't believe in any of the following gods.

Mid-East: (169)
A, Adad, Adapa, Adrammelech, Aeon, Agasaya, Aglibol, Ahriman, Ahura Mazda, Ahurani, Ai-ada, Al-Lat, Aja, Aka, Alalu, Al-Lat, Amm, Al-Uzza (El-'Ozza or Han-Uzzai), An, Anahita, Anath (Anat), Anatu, Anbay, Anshar, Anu, Anunitu, An-Zu, Apsu, Aqhat, Ararat, Arinna, Asherali, Ashnan, Ashtoreth, Ashur, Astarte, Atar, Athirat, Athtart, Attis, Aya, Baal (Bel), Baalat (Ba'Alat), Baau, Basamum, Beelsamin, Belit-Seri, Beruth, Borak, Broxa, Caelestis, Cassios, Lebanon, Antilebanon, and Brathy, Chaos, Chemosh, Cotys, Cybele, Daena, Daevas, Dagon, Damkina, Dazimus, Derketo, Dhat-Badan, Dilmun, Dumuzi (Du'uzu), Duttur, Ea, El, Endukugga, Enki, Enlil, Ennugi, Eriskegal, Ereshkigal (Allatu), Eshara, Eshmun, Firanak, Fravashi, Gatamdug, Genea, Genos, Gestinanna, Gula, Hadad, Hannahanna, Hatti, Hea, Hiribi, The Houri, Humban, Innana, Ishkur, Ishtar, Ithm, Jamshid or Jamshyd, Jehovah, Jesus, Kabta, Kadi, Kamrusepas, Ki (Kiki), Kingu, Kolpia, Kothar-u-Khasis, Lahar, Marduk, Mari, Meni, Merodach, Misor, Moloch, Mot, Mushdama, Mylitta, Naamah, Nabu (Nebo), Nairyosangha, Nammu, Namtaru, Nanna, Nebo, Nergal, Nidaba, Ninhursag or Nintu, Ninlil, Ninsar, Nintur, Ninurta, Pa, Qadshu, Rapithwin, Resheph (Mikal or Mekal), Rimmon, Sadarnuna, Shahar, Shalim, Shamish, Shapshu, Sheger, Sin, Siris (Sirah), Taautos, Tammuz, Tanit, Taru, Tasimmet, Telipinu, Tiamat, Tishtrya, Tsehub, Utnapishtim, Utu, Wurusemu, Yam, Yarih (Yarikh), Yima, Zaba, Zababa, Zam, Zanahary (Zanaharibe), Zarpandit, Zarathustra, Zatavu, Zazavavindrano, Ziusudra, Zu (Imdugud), Zurvan

China (170):
Ba, Caishen, Chang Fei, Chang Hsien, Chang Pan, Ch'ang Tsai, Chao san-Niang, Chao T'eng-k'ang, Chen Kao, Ch'eng Huang, Cheng San-Kung, Cheng Yuan-ho, Chi Po, Chien-Ti, Chih Jih, Chih Nii, Chih Nu, Ch'ih Sung-tzu, Ching Ling Tzu, Ch'ing Lung, Chin-hua Niang-niang, Chio Yuan-Tzu, Chou Wang, Chu Niao, Chu Ying, Chuang-Mu, Chu-jung, Chun T'i, Ch'ung Ling-yu, Chung Liu, Chung-kuei, Chung-li Ch'üan, Di Jun, Fan K'uei, Fei Lien, Feng Pho-Pho, Fengbo, Fu Hsing, Fu-Hsi, Fu-Pao, Gaomei, Guan Di, Hao Ch'iu, Heng-o, Ho Po (Ping-I), Hou Chi, Hou T'u, Hsi Ling-su, Hsi Shih, Hsi Wang Mu, Hsiao Wu, Hsieh T'ien-chun, Hsien Nung, Hsi-shen, Hsu Ch'ang, Hsuan Wen-hua, Huang Ti, Huang T'ing, Huo Pu, Hu-Shen, Jen An, Jizo Bosatsu, Keng Yen-cheng, King Wan, Ko Hsien-Weng, Kuan Ti, Kuan Ti, Kuei-ku Tzu, Kuo Tzu-i, Lai Cho, Lao Lang, Lei Kung, Lei Tsu, Li Lao-chun, Li Tien, Liu Meng, Liu Pei, Lo Shen, Lo Yu, Lo-Tsu Ta-Hsien, Lu Hsing, Lung Yen, Lu-pan, Ma-Ku, Mang Chin-i, Mang Shen, Mao Meng, Men Shen, Miao Hu, Mi-lo Fo, Ming Shang, Nan-chi Hsien-weng, Niu Wang, Nu Wa, Nu-kua, Pa, Pa Cha, Pai Chung, Pai Liu-Fang, Pai Yu, P'an Niang, P'an-Chin-Lien, Pao Yuan-ch'uan, Phan Ku, P'i Chia-Ma, Pien Ho, San Kuan, Sao-ch'ing Niang, Sarudahiko, Shang Chien, Shang Ti, She chi, Shen Hsui-Chih, Shen Nung, Sheng Mu, Shih Liang, Shiu Fang, Shou-lao, Shun I Fu-jen, Sien-Tsang, Ssu-ma Hsiang-ju, Sun Pin, Sun Ssu-miao, Sung-Chiang, Tan Chu, T'ang Ming Huang, Tao Kung, T'ien Fei, Tien Hou, Tien Mu, Ti-tsang, Tsai Shen, Ts'an Nu, Ts'ang Chien, Tsao Chun, Tsao-Wang, T'shai-Shen, Tung Chun, T'ung Chung-chung, T'ung Lai-yu, Tung Lu, T'ung Ming, Tzu-ku Shen, Wa, Wang Ta-hsien, Wang-Mu-Niang-Niang, Weiwobo, Wen-ch'ang, Wu-tai Yuan-shuai, Xi Hou, Xi Wangmu, Xiu Wenyin, Yanwang, Yaoji, Yen-lo, Yen-Lo-Wang, Yi, Yu, Yu Ch'iang, Yu Huang, Yun-T'ung, Yu-Tzu, Zaoshen, Zhang Xi, , Zhinü, , Zhongguei, , Zigu Shen, , Zisun, Ch'ang-O

balto slavic: (125)
Aba-khatun, Aigiarm, Ajysyt, Alkonost, Almoshi, Altan-Telgey, Ama, Anapel, As-ava, Ausaitis, Austeja, Ayt'ar, Baba Yaga (Jezi Baba), Belobog (Belun), Boldogasszony, Breksta, Bugady Musun, Chernobog (Crnobog, Czarnobog, Czerneboch, Cernobog), Cinei-new, Colleda (Koliada), Cuvto-ava, Dali, Darzu-mate, Dazhbog, Debena, Devana, Diiwica (Dilwica), Doda (Dodola), Dolya, Dragoni, Dugnai, Dunne Enin, Edji, Elena, Erce, Etugen, Falvara, The Fates, The Fatit, Gabija, Ganiklis, Giltine, Hotogov Mailgan, Hov-ava, Iarila, Isten, Ja-neb'a, Jedza, Joda-mate, Kaldas, Kaltes, Keretkun, Khadau, Khursun (Khors), Kostrubonko, Kovas, Krumine, Kupala, Kupalo, Laima, Leshy, Marina, Marzana, Matergabiae, Mat Syra Zemlya, Medeine, Menu (Menulis), Mir-Susne-Khum, Myesyats, Nastasija, (Russia) Goddess of sleep., Nelaima, Norov, Numi-Tarem, Nyia, Ora, Ot, Patollo, Patrimpas, Pereplut, Perkuno, Perun, Pikuolis, Pilnytis, Piluitus, Potrimpo, Puskaitis, Rod, Rugevit, Rultennin, Rusalki, Sakhadai-Noin, Saule, Semargl, Stribog, Sudjaje, Svantovit (Svantevit, Svitovyd), Svarazic (Svarozic, Svarogich), Tengri, Tñairgin, Triglav, Ulgen (Ulgan, Ülgön), Veles (Volos), Vesna, Xatel-Ekwa, Xoli-Kaltes, Yamm, Yarilo, Yarovit, Ynakhsyt, Zaria, Zeme mate, Zemyna, Ziva (Siva), Zizilia, Zonget, Zorya, Zvoruna, Zvezda Dennitsa, Zywie

Hindu (72):
Aditi, Adityas, Ambika, Ananta (Shesha), Annapurna (Annapatni), Aruna, Ashvins, Balarama, Bhairavi, Brahma, Buddha, Dakini, Devi, Dharma, Dhisana, Durga, Dyaus, Ganesa (Ganesha), Ganga (Ganges), Garuda, Gauri, Gopis, Hanuman, Hari-Hara, Hulka Devi, Jagganath, Jyeshtha, Kama, Karttikeya, Krishna, Krtya, Kubera, Kubjika, Lakshmi or Laksmi, Manasha, Manu, Maya, Meru, Nagas, Nandi, Naraka, Nataraja, Nirriti, Parjanya, Parvati, Paurnamasi, Prithivi, Purusha, Radha, Rati, Ratri, Rudra, Sanjna, Sati, Shashti, Shatala, Sitala (Satala), Skanda, Sunrta, Surya, Svasti-devi, Tvashtar, Uma, Urjani, Vach, Varuna, Vayu, Vishnu (Avatars of Vishnu: Matsya; Kurma; Varaha; Narasinha; Vamana; Parasurama; Rama; Krishna; Buddha; Kalki), Vishvakarman, Yama, Sraddha

Japan (53):
Aji-Suki-Taka-Hi-Kone, Ama no Uzume, Ama-terasu, Amatsu Mikaboshi, Benten (Benzai-Ten), Bishamon, Chimata-No-Kami, Chup-Kamui, Daikoku, Ebisu, Emma-O, Fudo, Fuji, Fukurokuju, Gekka-O, Hachiman, Hettsui-No-Kami, Ho-Masubi, Hotei, Inari, Izanagi and Izanami, Jizo Bosatsu, Jurojin, Kagutsuchi, Kamado-No-Kami, Kami, Kawa-No-Kami, Kaya-Nu-Hima, Kishijoten, Kishi-Mojin, Kunitokotatchi, Marici, Monju-Bosatsu, Nai-No-Kami, No-Il Ja-Dae, O-Kuni-Nushi, Omoigane, Raiden, Shine-Tsu-Hiko, Shoten, Susa-no-wo, Tajika-no-mikoto, Tsuki-yomi, Uka no Mitanna, Uke-mochi, Uso-dori, Uzume, Wakahirume, Yainato-Hnneno-Mikoi, Yama-No-Kami, Yama-no-Karni, Yaya-Zakurai, Yuki-Onne

India (43)
Agni, Ammavaru, Asuras, Banka-Mundi, Brihaspati, Budhi Pallien, Candi, Challalamma, Chinnintamma, Devas, Dyaush, Gauri-Sankar, Grhadevi, Gujeswari, Indra, Kali, Lohasur Devi, Mayavel, Mitra, Prajapati, Puchan, Purandhi, Rakshas, Rudrani, Rumina, Samundra, Sarasvati, Savitar, Siva (Shiva), Soma, Sura, Surabhi, Tulsi, Ushas, Vata, Visvamitra, Vivasvat, Vritra, Waghai Devi, Yaparamma, Yayu, Zumiang Nui, Diti

Other Asian: (31)
Dewi Shri, Po Yan Dari, Shuzanghu, Antaboga, Yakushi Nyorai, Mulhalmoni, Tankun, Yondung Halmoni, Aryong Jong, Quan Yin , Tengri, Uminai-gami, Kamado-No-Kami, Kunitokotatchi, Giri Devi, Dewi Nawang Sasih, Brag-srin-mo, Samanta-Bhadra, Sangs-rgyas-mkhá, Sengdroma, Sgeg-mo-ma, Tho-og, Ui Tango, Yum-chen-mo, Zas-ster-ma-dmar-mo, Chandra, Dyaus, Ratri, Rodasi, Vayu, Au-Co

African: 250 Gods, Demigods and First Men
Abassi , Abuk , Adu Ogyinae , Agé , Agwe , Aida Wedo , Ajalamo, Aje, Ajok, Akonadi, Akongo, Akuj, Amma, Anansi, Asase Yaa, Ashiakle, Atai , Ayaba, Aziri, Baatsi, Bayanni, Bele Alua, Bomo rambi, Bosumabla, Buk, Buku, Bumba, Bunzi, Buruku, Cagn, Candit, Cghene, Coti, Damballah-Wedo, Dan, Deng, Domfe, Dongo, Edinkira, Efé, Egungun-oya, Eka Abassi, Elephant Girl Mbombe, Emayian, Enekpe, En-Kai, Eseasar, Eshu, Esu, Fa, Faran, Faro, Fatouma, Fidi Mukullu, Fon, Gleti, Gonzuole, Gû, Gua, Gulu, Gunab, Hammadi, Hêbiesso, Iku, Ilankaka, Imana, Iruwa, Isaywa, Juok, Kazooba, Khakaba, Khonvum, Kibuka, Kintu, Lebé, Leza, Libanza, Lituolone, Loko, Marwe, Massim Biambe, Mawu-Lisa (Leza), Mboze, Mebeli, Minepa, Moombi, Mukameiguru, Mukasa, Muluku, Mulungu, Mwambu, Nai, Nambi, Nana Buluku, Nanan-Bouclou, Nenaunir, Ng Ai, Nyaliep, Nyambé, Nyankopon, Nyasaye, Nzame, Oboto, Obumo, Odudua-Orishala, Ogun, Olokun, Olorun, Orisha Nla, Orunmila, Osanyin, Oshe, Osun, Oya, Phebele, Pokot-Suk, Ralubumbha, Rugaba, Ruhanga, Ryangombe, Sagbata, Shagpona, Shango, Sopona, Tano, Thixo, Tilo, Tokoloshi, Tsui, Tsui'goab, Umvelinqangi, Unkulunkulu, Utixo, Wak, Wamara, Wantu Su, Wele, Were, Woto, Xevioso, Yangombi, Yemonja, Ymoa, Ymoja, Yoruba, Zambi, Zanahary , Zinkibaru,

Australian: 93 Gods, Goddesses and Places in the Dreamtime
Alinga, Anjea, Apunga, Arahuta, Ariki, Arohirohi, Bamapana, Banaitja, Bara, Barraiya, Biame, Bila, Boaliri, Bobbi-bobbi, Bunbulama, Bunjil, Cunnembeille, Daramulum, Dilga, Djanggawul Sisters, Eingana, Erathipa, Gidja , Gnowee, Haumia, Hine Titama, Ingridi, Julana, Julunggul, Junkgowa, Karora, Kunapipi-Kalwadi-Kadjara, Lia, Madalait, Makara, Nabudi, Palpinkalare, Papa, Rangi, Rongo, Tane, Tangaroa, Tawhiri-ma-tea, Tomituka, Tu, Ungamilia, Walo, Waramurungundi, Wati Kutjarra, Wawalag Sisters, Wuluwaid, Wuragag, Wuriupranili, Wurrunna, Yhi,

Buddhism: 10 Gods and Relatives of God
Aizen-Myoo, Ajima,Dai-itoku-Myoo, Fudo-Myoo, Gozanze-Myoo, Gundari-Myoo, Hariti, Kongo-Myoo, Kujaku-Myoo, Ni-O,

Carribean: 62 Gods, Monsters and Vodun Spirits
Agaman Nibo , Agwe, Agweta, Ah Uaynih, Aida Wedo , Atabei , Ayida , Ayizan, Azacca, Baron Samedi, Ulrich, Ellegua, Ogun, Ochosi, Chango, Itaba, Amelia, Christalline, Clairmé, Clairmeziné, Coatrischie, Damballah , Emanjah, Erzuli, Erzulie, Ezili, Ghede, Guabancex, Guabonito, Guamaonocon, Imanje, Karous, Laloue-diji, Legba, Loa, Loco, Maitresse Amelia , Mapiangueh, Marie-aimée, Marinette, Mombu, Marassa, Nana Buruku, Oba, Obtala, Ochu, Ochumare, Oddudua, Ogoun, Olokum, Olosa, Oshun, Oya, Philomena, Sirêne, The Diablesse, Itaba, Tsilah, Ursule, Vierge, Yemaya , Zaka,

Celtic: 166 Gods, Goddesses, Divine Kings and Pagan Saints
Abarta, Abna, Abnoba, Aine, Airetech,Akonadi, Amaethon, Ameathon, An Cailleach, Andraste, Antenociticus, Aranrhod, Arawn, Arianrod, Artio, Badb,Balor, Banbha, Becuma, Belatucadros, Belatu-Cadros, Belenus, Beli,Belimawr, Belinus, Bendigeidfran, Bile, Blathnat, Blodeuwedd, Boann, Bodus,Bormanus, Borvo, Bran, Branwen, Bres, Brigid, Brigit, Caridwen, Carpantus,Cathbadh, Cecht, Cernach, Cernunnos, Cliodna, Cocidius, Conchobar, Condatis, Cormac,Coronus,Cosunea, Coventina, Crarus,Creidhne, Creirwy, Cu Chulainn, Cu roi, Cuda, Cuill,Cyhiraeth,Dagda, Damona, Dana, Danu, D'Aulnoy,Dea Artio, Deirdre , Dewi, Dian, Diancecht, Dis Pater, Donn, Dwyn, Dylan, Dywel,Efnisien, Elatha, Epona, Eriu, Esos, Esus, Eurymedon,Fedelma, Fergus, Finn, Fodla, Goewyn, Gog, Goibhniu, Govannon , Grainne, Greine,Gwydion, Gwynn ap Nudd, Herne, Hu'Gadarn, Keltoi,Keridwen, Kernunnos,Ler, Lir, Lleu Llaw Gyffes, Lludd, Llyr, Llywy, Luchta, Lug, Lugh,Lugus, Mabinogion,Mabon, Mac Da Tho, Macha, Magog, Manannan, Manawydan, Maponos, Math, Math Ap Mathonwy, Medb, Moccos,Modron, Mogons, Morrig, Morrigan, Nabon,Nantosuelta, Naoise, Nechtan, Nedoledius,Nehalennia, Nemhain, Net,Nisien, Nodens, Noisi, Nuada, Nwywre,Oengus, Ogma, Ogmios, Oisin, Pach,Partholon, Penard Dun, Pryderi, Pwyll, Rhiannon, Rosmerta, Samhain, Segidaiacus, Sirona, Sucellus, Sulis, Taliesin, Taranis, Teutates, The Horned One,The Hunt, Treveni,Tyne, Urien, Ursula of the Silver Host, Vellaunus, Vitiris, White Lady,

Egyptian: 85 Gods, Gods Incarnate and Personified Divine Forces:
Amaunet, Amen, Amon, Amun, Anat, Anqet, Antaios, Anubis, Anuket, Apep, Apis, Astarte, Aten, Aton, Atum, Bastet, Bat, Buto, Duamutef, Duamutef, Hapi, Har-pa-khered, Hathor, Hauhet, Heket, Horus, Huh, Imset, Isis, Kauket, Kebechsenef, Khensu, Khepri, Khnemu, Khnum, Khonsu, Kuk, Maahes, Ma'at, Mehen, Meretseger, Min, Mnewer, Mut, Naunet, Nefertem, Neith, Nekhbet, Nephthys, Nun, Nut, Osiris, Ptah, Ra , Re, Renenet, Sakhmet, Satet, Seb, Seker, Sekhmet, Serapis, Serket, Set, Seth, Shai, Shu, Shu, Sia, Sobek, Sokar, Tefnut, Tem, Thoth,

Hellenes (Greek) Tradition (540 Gods, Demigods, Divine *******s)
Acidalia, Aello, Aesculapius, Agathe, Agdistis, Ageleia, Aglauros, Agne, Agoraia, Agreia, Agreie, Agreiphontes, Agreus, Agrios, Agrotera, Aguieus, Aidoneus, Aigiokhos, Aigletes, Aigobolos, Ainia,Ainippe, Aithuia , Akesios, Akraia, Aktaios, Alalkomene, Alasiotas, Alcibie, Alcinoe, Alcippe, Alcis,Alea, Alexikakos, Aligena, Aliterios, Alkaia, Amaltheia, Ambidexter, Ambologera, Amynomene,Anaduomene, Anaea, Anax, Anaxilea, Androdameia,Andromache, Andromeda, Androphonos, Anosia, Antandre,Antania, Antheus, Anthroporraistes, Antianara, Antianeira, Antibrote, Antimache, Antimachos, Antiope,Antiopeia, Aoide, Apatouria, Aphneius, Aphrodite, Apollo, Apotropaios, Areia, Areia, Areion, Areopagite, Ares, Areto, Areximacha,Argus, Aridnus,Aristaios, Aristomache, Arkhegetes, Arktos, Arretos, Arsenothelys, Artemis, Asclepius, Asklepios, Aspheleios, Asteria, Astraeos , Athene, Auxites, Avaris, Axios, Axios Tauros,Bakcheios, Bakchos, Basileus, Basilis, Bassareus, Bauros, Boophis, Boreas , Botryophoros, Boukeros, Boulaia, Boulaios, Bremusa,Bromios, Byblis,Bythios, Caliope, Cedreatis, Celaneo, centaur, Cerberus, Charidotes, Charybdis, Chimera, Chloe, Chloris , Choreutes, Choroplekes, Chthonios, Clete, Clio, clotho,Clyemne, cockatrice, Crataeis, Custos, Cybebe, Cybele, Cyclops, Daphnaia, Daphnephoros, Deianeira, Deinomache, Delia, Delios, Delphic, Delphinios, Demeter, Dendrites, Derimacheia,Derinoe, Despoina, Dikerotes, Dimeter, Dimorphos, Dindymene, Dioktoros, Dionysos, Discordia, Dissotokos, Dithyrambos, Doris, Dryope,Echephyle,Echidna, Eiraphiotes, Ekstatophoros, Eleemon, Eleuthereus, Eleutherios, Ennosigaios, Enodia, Enodios, Enoplios, Enorches, Enualios, Eos , Epaine, Epidotes, Epikourios, Epipontia, Epitragidia, Epitumbidia, Erato, Ergane, Eribromios, Erigdoupos, Erinus, Eriobea, Eriounios, Eriphos, Eris, Eros,Euanthes, Euaster, Eubouleus, Euboulos, Euios, Eukhaitos, Eukleia, Eukles, Eumache, Eunemos, Euplois, Euros , Eurybe,Euryleia, Euterpe, Fates,Fortuna, Gaia, Gaieokhos, Galea, Gamelia, Gamelios, Gamostolos, Genetor, Genetullis, Geryon, Gethosynos, giants, Gigantophonos, Glaukopis, Gorgons, Gorgopis, Graiae, griffin, Gynaikothoinas, Gynnis, Hagisilaos, Hagnos, Haides, Harmothoe, harpy, Hegemone, Hegemonios, Hekate, Hekatos, Helios, Hellotis, Hephaistia, Hephaistos, Hera, Heraios, Herakles, Herkeios, Hermes, Heros Theos, Hersos, Hestia, Heteira, Hiksios, Hipp, Hippia, Hippios, Hippoi Athanatoi, Hippolyte, Hippolyte II, Hippomache,Hippothoe, Horkos, Hugieia, Hupatos, Hydra, Hypate, Hyperborean, Hypsipyle, Hypsistos, Iakchos, Iatros, Idaia, Invictus, Iphito,Ismenios, Ismenus,Itonia, Kabeiria, Kabeiroi, Kakia, Kallinikos, Kallipugos, Kallisti, Kappotas, Karneios, Karpophoros, Karytis, Kataibates, Katakhthonios, Kathatsios, Keladeine, Keraunos, Kerykes, Khalinitis, Khalkioikos, Kharmon, Khera, Khloe, Khlori,Khloris,Khruse, Khthonia, Khthonios, Kidaria, Kissobryos, Kissokomes, Kissos, Kitharodos, Kleidouchos, Kleoptoleme, Klymenos, Kore, Koruthalia, Korymbophoros, Kourotrophos, Kranaia, Kranaios, Krataiis, Kreousa, Kretogenes, Kriophoros, Kronides, Kronos,Kryphios, Ktesios, Kubebe, Kupris, Kuprogenes, Kurotrophos, Kuthereia, Kybele, Kydoime,Kynthia, Kyrios, Ladon, Lakinia, Lamia, Lampter, Laodoke, Laphria, Lenaios, Leukatas, Leukatas, Leukolenos, Leukophruene, Liknites, Limenia, Limnaios, Limnatis, Logios, Lokhia, Lousia, Loxias, Lukaios, Lukeios, Lyaios, Lygodesma, Lykopis, Lyseus, Lysippe, Maimaktes, Mainomenos, Majestas, Makar, Maleatas, Manikos, Mantis, Marpe, Marpesia, Medusa, Megale, Meilikhios, Melaina, Melainis, Melanaigis, Melanippe,Melete, Melousa, Melpomene, Melqart, Meses, Mimnousa, Minotaur, Mneme, Molpadia,Monogenes, Morpho, Morychos, Musagates, Musagetes, Nebrodes, Nephelegereta, Nereus,Nete, Nike, Nikephoros, Nomios, Nomius, Notos , Nyktelios, Nyktipolos, Nympheuomene, Nysios, Oiketor, Okyale, Okypous, Olumpios, Omadios, Ombrios, Orithia,Orius,Ortheia, Orthos, Ourania, Ourios, Paelemona, Paian, Pais, Palaios, Pallas, Pan Megas, Panakhais, Pandemos, Pandrosos, Pantariste, Parthenos, PAsianax, Pasiphaessa, Pater, Pater, Patroos, Pegasus, Pelagia, Penthesilea, Perikionios, Persephone, Petraios, Phanes, Phanter, Phatria, Philios, Philippis, Philomeides, Phoebe, Phoebus, Phoenix, Phoibos, Phosphoros, Phratrios, Phutalmios, Physis, Pisto, Plouton, Polemusa,Poliakhos, Polias, Polieus, Polumetis, Polydektes, Polygethes, Polymnia, Polymorphos, Polyonomos, Porne, Poseidon, Potnia Khaos, Potnia Pheron, Promakhos, Pronoia, Propulaios, Propylaia, Proserpine, Prothoe, Protogonos, Prytaneia, Psychopompos, Puronia, Puthios, Pyrgomache, Python, Rhea, Sabazios, Salpinx, satyr, Saxanus, Scyleia,Scylla, sirens, Skeptouchos, Smintheus, Sophia, Sosipolis, Soter, Soteria, Sphinx, Staphylos, Sthenias, Sthenios, Strife, Summakhia, Sykites, Syzygia, Tallaios, Taureos, Taurokeros, Taurophagos, Tauropolos, Tauropon, Tecmessa, Teisipyte, Teleios, Telepyleia,Teletarches, Terpsichore, Thalestris, Thalia, The Dioskouroi, Theos, Theritas, Thermodosa, Thraso, Thyonidas, Thyrsophoros, Tmolene, Toxaris, Toxis, Toxophile,Trevia, Tricephalus, Trieterikos, Trigonos, Trismegestos, Tritogeneia, Tropaios, Trophonius,Tumborukhos, Tyche, Typhon, Urania, Valasca, Xanthippe, Xenios, Zagreus, Zathos, Zephryos , Zeus, Zeus Katakhthonios, Zoophoros

Native American: 711 Gods, Heroes, and Anthropomorphized Facets of Nature
Aakuluujjusi, Ab Kin zoc, Abaangui , Ababinili , Ac Yanto, Acan, Acat, Achiyalatopa , Acna, Acolmiztli, Acolnahuacatl, Acuecucyoticihuati, Adamisil Wedo, Adaox , Adekagagwaa , Adlet , Adlivun, Agloolik , Aguara , Ah Bolom Tzacab, Ah Cancum, Ah Chun Caan, Ah Chuy Kak, Ah Ciliz, Ah Cun Can, Ah Cuxtal, Ah hulneb, Ah Kin, Ah Kumix Uinicob, Ah Mun, Ah Muzencab, Ah Patnar Uinicob, Ah Peku, Ah Puch, Ah Tabai, Ah UincirDz'acab, Ah Uuc Ticab, Ah Wink-ir Masa, Ahau Chamahez, Ahau-Kin, Ahmakiq, Ahnt Alis Pok', Ahnt Kai', Aholi , Ahsonnutli , Ahuic, Ahulane, Aiauh, Aipaloovik , Ajbit, Ajilee , Ajtzak, Akbaalia , Akba-atatdia , Akhlut , Akhushtal, Akna , Akycha, Alaghom Naom Tzentel, Albino Spirit animals , Alektca , Alignak, Allanque , Allowat Sakima , Alom, Alowatsakima , Amaguq , Amala , Amimitl, Amitolane, Amotken , Andaokut , Andiciopec , Anerneq , Anetlacualtiliztli, Angalkuq , Angpetu Wi, Anguta, Angwusnasomtaka , Ani Hyuntikwalaski , Animal spirits , Aningan, Aniwye , Anog Ite , Anpao, Apanuugak , Apicilnic , Apikunni , Apotamkin , Apoyan Tachi , Apozanolotl, Apu Punchau, Aqalax , Arendiwane , Arnakua'gsak , Asdiwal , Asgaya Gigagei, Asiaq , Asin , Asintmah, Atacokai , Atahensic, Aticpac Calqui Cihuatl, Atira, Atisokan , Atius Tirawa , Atl, Atlacamani, Atlacoya, Atlatonin, Atlaua, Atshen , Auilix, Aulanerk , Aumanil , Aunggaak , Aunt Nancy , Awaeh Yegendji , Awakkule , Awitelin Tsta , Awonawilona, Ayauhteotl, Azeban, Baaxpee , Bacabs, Backlum Chaam, Bagucks , Bakbakwalanooksiwae , Balam, Baldhead , Basamacha , Basket Woman , Bead Spitter , Bear , Bear Medicine Woman , Bear Woman , Beaver , Beaver Doctor , Big Heads, Big Man Eater , Big Tail , Big Twisted Flute , Bikeh hozho, Bitol, Black Hactcin , Black Tamanous , Blind Boy , Blind Man , Blood Clot Boy , Bloody Hand , Blue-Jay , Bmola , Bolontiku, Breathmaker, Buffalo , Buluc Chabtan, Burnt Belly , Burnt Face , Butterfly , Cabaguil, Cacoch, Cajolom, Cakulha, Camaxtli, Camozotz, Cannibal Grandmother , Cannibal Woman , Canotila , Capa , Caprakan, Ca-the-ña, Cauac, Centeotl, Centzonuitznaua, Cetan , Chac Uayab Xoc, Chac, Chahnameed , Chakwaina Okya, Chalchihuitlicue, Chalchiuhtlatonal, Chalchiutotolin, Chalmecacihuilt, Chalmecatl, Chamer, Changing Bear Woman , Changing Woman , Chantico, Chaob, Charred Body , Chepi , Chibiabos , Chibirias, Chiccan, Chicomecoatl, Chicomexochtli, Chiconahui, Chiconahuiehecatl, Chie, Child-Born-in-Jug , Chirakan, Chulyen , Cihuacoatl, Cin-an-ev , Cinteotl, Cipactli, Cirapé , Cit Chac Coh, Cit-Bolon-Tum, Citlalatonac, Citlalicue, Ciucoatl, Ciuteoteo, Cizin, Cliff ogre , Coatlicue, Cochimetl, Cocijo, Colel Cab, Colop U Uichkin, Copil, Coyolxauhqui, Coyopa, Coyote , Cripple Boy , Crow , Crow Woman , *** hau, Cunawabi , Dagwanoenyent , Dahdahwat , Daldal , Deohako, Dhol , Diyin dine , Djien , Djigonasee , Dohkwibuhch , Dzalarhons , Dzalarhons, Eagentci , Eagle , Earth Shaman , Eeyeekalduk , Ehecatl, Ehlaumel , Eithinoha , Ekchuah, Enumclaw , Eototo, Esaugetuh Emissee , Esceheman, Eschetewuarha, Estanatlehi , Estasanatlehi , Estsanatlehi, Evaki, Evening Star, Ewah , Ewauna, Face , Faces of the Forests , False Faces , Famine , Fastachee , Fire Dogs , First Creator , First Man and First Woman, First Scolder , Flint Man , Flood , Flower Woman , Foot Stuck Child , Ga'an, Ga-gaah , Gahe, Galokwudzuwis , Gaoh, Gawaunduk, Geezhigo-Quae, Gendenwitha, Genetaska, Ghanan, Gitche Manitou, Glispa, Glooskap , Gluscabi , Gluskab , Gluskap, Godasiyo, Gohone , Great Seahouse, Greenmantle , Gucumatz, Gukumatz, Gunnodoyak, Gyhldeptis, Ha Wen Neyu , Hacauitz , Hacha'kyum, Hagondes , Hahgwehdiyu , Hamatsa , Hamedicu, Hanghepi Wi, Hantceiitehi , Haokah , Hastseoltoi, Hastshehogan , He'mask.as , Hen, Heyoka , Hiawatha , Hino, Hisakitaimisi, Hokhokw , Hotoru, Huehuecoyotl, Huehueteotl, Huitaca , Huitzilopochtli, Huixtocihuatl, Hummingbird, Hun hunahpu, Hun Pic Tok, Hunab Ku, Hunahpu Utiu, Hunahpu, Hunahpu-Gutch, Hunhau, Hurakan, Iatiku And Nautsiti, Ich-kanava , Ictinike , Idliragijenget , Idlirvirisong, Igaluk , Ignirtoq , Ikanam , Iktomi , Ilamatecuhtli, Illapa, Ilyap'a, i'noGo tied , Inti, Inua , Ioskeha , Ipalnemohuani, Isakakate, Ishigaq , Isitoq , Issitoq , Ite , Itzamná, Itzananohk`u, Itzlacoliuhque, Itzli, Itzpapalotl, Ix Chebel Yax, Ixbalanque, Ixchel, Ixchup, Ixmucane, Ixpiyacoc, Ixtab, Ixtlilton, Ixtubtin, Ixzaluoh, Iya , Iyatiku , Iztaccihuatl, Iztacmixcohuatl, Jaguar Night, Jaguar Quitze, Jogah , Kaakwha , Kabun , Kabun , Kachinas, Kadlu , Ka-Ha-Si , Ka-Ha-Si , Kaik , Kaiti , Kan, Kana'ti and Selu , Kanati, Kan-u-Uayeyab, Kan-xib-yui, Kapoonis , Katsinas, Keelut , Ketchimanetowa, Ketq Skwaye, Kianto, Kigatilik , Kilya, K'in, Kinich Ahau, Kinich Kakmo, Kishelemukong , Kisin, Kitcki Manitou, Kmukamch , Kokopelli , Ko'lok , Kukulcan, Kushapatshikan , Kutni , Kutya'I , Kwakwakalanooksiwae , Kwatee , Kwekwaxa'we , Kwikumat , Kyoi , Lagua , Land Otter People , Lawalawa , Logobola , Loha, Lone Man , Long Nose , Loon , Loon Medicine , Loon Woman , Loo-wit, Macaw Woman, Macuilxochitl, Maho Peneta, Mahucutah, Makenaima , Malesk , Malina , Malinalxochi, Malsum, Malsumis , Mam, Mama Cocha, Man in moon , Manabozho , Manetuwak , Mani'to, Manitou , Mannegishi , Manu, Masaya, Masewi , Master of Life , Master Of Winds, Matshishkapeu , Mavutsinim , Mayahuel, Medeoulin , Mekala , Menahka, Meteinuwak , Metztli, Mexitl, Michabo, Mictecacihuatl, Mictlan, Mictlantecuhtli, Mikchich , Mikumwesu , Mitnal, Mixcoatl, Mongwi Kachinum , Morning Star, Motho and Mungo , Mulac, Muut , Muyingwa , Nacon, Nagenatzani, Nagi Tanka , Nagual, Nahual, Nakawé, Nanabojo, Nanabozho , Nanabush, Nanahuatzin, Nanautzin, Nanih Waiya, Nankil'slas , Nanook , Naum, Negafook , Nerrivik , Nesaru, Nianque , Nishanu , Nohochacyum, Nokomis, Nootaikok , North Star, Nujalik , Nukatem , Nunne Chaha , Ocasta, Ockabewis, Odzihozo , Ohtas , Oklatabashih, Old Man , Olelbis, Omacatl, Omecihuatl, Ometecuhtli, Onatha , One Tail of Clear Hair , Oonawieh Unggi , Opochtli, Oshadagea, Owl Woman , Pah , Pah, Paiowa, Pakrokitat , Pana , Patecatl, Pautiwa, Paynal, Pemtemweha , Piasa , Pikváhahirak , Pinga , Pomola , Pot-tilter , Prairie Falcon , Ptehehincalasanwin , Pukkeenegak , Qaholom, Qakma, Qiqirn , Quaoar , Quetzalcoatl, Qumu , Quootis-hooi, Rabbit, Ragno, Raven, Raw Gums , Rukko, Sagamores , Sagapgia , Sanopi , Saynday , Sedna, Selu, Shakuru, Sharkura, Shilup Chito Osh, Shrimp house, Sila , Sint Holo , Sio humis, Sisiutl , Skan , Snallygaster , Sosondowah , South Star, Spider Woman , Sta-au , Stonecoats , Sun, Sungrey , Ta Tanka , Tabaldak , Taime , Taiowa , Talocan, Tans , Taqwus , Tarhuhyiawahku, Tarquiup Inua , Tate , Tawa, Tawiscara, Ta'xet , Tcisaki , Tecciztecatl, Tekkeitserktock, Tekkeitsertok , Telmekic , Teoyaomqui, Tepeu, Tepeyollotl, Teteoinnan, Tezcatlipoca, Thobadestchin, Thoume', Thunder , Thunder Bird , Tieholtsodi, Tihtipihin , Tirawa , Tirawa Atius, Tlacolotl, Tlahuixcalpantecuhtli, Tlaloc, Tlaltecuhtli, Tlauixcalpantecuhtli, Tlazolteotl, Tohil, Tokpela , Tonantzin , Tonatiuh, To'nenile, Tonenili , Tootega , Torngasak, Torngasoak , Trickster/Transformer , True jaguar, Tsentsa, Tsichtinako, Tsohanoai Tsonoqwa , Tsul 'Kalu , Tulugaak , Tumas , Tunkan ingan, Turquoise Boy , Twin Thunder Boys, Txamsem , Tzakol, Tzitzimime, Uazzale , Uchtsiti, Udó , Uentshukumi****eu , Ueuecoyotl, Ugly Way , Ugni , Uhepono , Uitzilopochtli, Ukat , Underwater Panthers , Unhcegila , Unipkaat , Unk, Unktomi , Untunktahe , Urcaguary, Utea , Uwashil , Vassagijik , Voltan, Wabosso , Wabun , Wachabe, Wah-Kah-Nee, Wakan , Wakanda , Wakan-Tanka, Wakinyan , Wan niomi , Wanagi , Wananikwe , Watavinewa , Water babies , Waukheon , We-gyet , Wemicus , Wendigo , Wentshukumi****eu , White Buffalo Woman, Whope , Wi , Wicahmunga , Wihmunga , Windigo, Winonah, Wisagatcak , Wisagatcak, Wishpoosh , Wiyot , Wovoka , Wuya , Xaman Ek, Xelas , Xibalba, Xilonen, Xipe Totec, Xiuhcoatl, Xiuhtecuhtli, Xiuhtecutli, Xmucane, Xochipili , Xochiquetzal, Xocotl, Xolotl, Xpiyacoc, Xpuch And Xtah, Yacatecuhtli, Yaluk, Yanauluha , Ya-o-gah , Yeba Ka, Yebaad, Yehl , Yeitso, Yiacatecuhtli, Yolkai Estsan, Yoskeha , Yum Kaax, Yuwipi , Zaramama, Zipaltonal, Zotz,

Norse, 111 Deities, Giants and Monsters:
Aegir, Aesir, Alfrigg, Audumbla, Aurgelmir, Balder, Berchta, Bergelmir, Bor, Bragi, Brisings, Buri, Etin, Fenris, Forseti, Frey, Freyja, Frigga, Gefion, Gerda, Gode, Gymir, Harke, Heimdall, Hel, Hermod, Hodur, Holda, Holle, Honir, Hymir, Idun, Jormungandr, Ljolsalfs, Loki, Magni, Mimir, Mistarblindi, Muspel, Nanna, Nanni, Nerthus, Njord, Norns, Odin, Perchta, Ran, Rig, Segyn, Sif, Skadi, Skirnir, Skuld, Sleipnir, Surt, Svadilfari, tanngniotr, tanngrisnr, Thiassi, Thor, Thrud, Thrudgelmir, Thrym, Thurs, Tyr, Uller, Urd, Vali, Vali, Valkyries, Vanir, Ve, Verdandi, Vidar, Wode, Ymir

Pacific islands: 99 Deities, Demigods and Immortal Monsters:

Abeguwo, Abere, Adaro, Afekan, Ai Tupua'i, 'Aiaru, Ala Muki, Alalahe, Alii Menehune, Aluluei, Aruaka, Asin, Atanea, Audjal, Aumakua, Babamik, Bakoa, Barong, Batara Kala, Buring Une, Darago, Dayang-Raca, De Ai, Dogai, Enda Semangko, Faumea, Giriputri, Goga, Haumea, Hiiaka', Hina, Hine, Hoa-Tapu, 'Imoa, Io, Kanaloa, Kanaloa, Kane, Kapo, Kava, Konori, Ku, Kuhuluhulumanu, Kuklikimoku, Kukoae, Ku'ula, Laka, Laulaati, Lono, Mahiuki, MakeMake, Marruni, Maru, Maui, Melu, Menehune, Moeuhane, MOO-LAU, Ndauthina, Ne Te-reere, Nevinbimbaau, Ngendei, Nobu, Oro, Ove, Paka'a, Papa, Pele, Quat, Rangi, Rati, Rati-mbati-ndua, Ratu-Mai-Mbula, Rua, Ruahatu, Saning Sri, Ta'aroa, Taaroa, Tamakaia, Tane, Tanemahuta, Tangaroa, Tawhaki, Tiki, Tinirau, Tu, Tuli, Turi-a-faumea, Uira, Ukupanipo, Ulupoka, Umboko Indra, Vanuatu, Wahini-Hal, Walutahanga, Wari-Ma-Te-Takere, Whaitiri, Whatu, Wigan,

South American: 53 Deities, Demigods, Beings of Divine Substance:

Abaangui, Aclla, Akewa, Asima Si, Atoja, Auchimalgen, Axomama, Bachué, Beru, Bochica, Boiuna, Calounger, Catequil, Cavillaca, Ceiuci, Chasca, Chie, Cocomama, Gaumansuri, Huitaca, Iae, Ilyap'a, Ina, Inti, Ituana, Jamaina , Jandira, Jarina, Jubbu-jang-sangne, Ka-ata-killa, Kilya, Kuat, Kun, Luandinha, Lupi, Mama Allpa, Mama Quilla, Mamacocha, Manco Capac, Maret-Jikky, Maretkhmakniam, Mariana, Oshossi, Pachamac, Pachamama, Perimbó, Rainha Barba, Si, Supai, Topétine, Viracocha, Yemanja (Imanje), Zume Topana

Do you believe in any of them? Why/Why not?

princeps

Smash Journeyman
xipotec: i would love for you to 'prove' religion wrong. go ahead, my man.

your post does not hold water against the possibility of the existence of various belief system in spite of there being only one god. why? your argument is rebuked via the concept of deism(cf. Rousseau's The creed of a priest of savoy). answers your criticism on beliefs. nuff said.

and religions: hypothetically, they developed as polytheic systems in pre-literate societies as a result to man's natural inclination for explaining his surroundings. thus man created god. this does not prove religions to be 'fake.' it just implies a different function for religion; namely, to provide answers to questions that cannot be adequately answered via the scientific method.

princeps

Smash Journeyman
well, beliefs are grounded in what Kierkegaard called 'the leap of faith" (used in his book Fear and Trembling, where he argues that the only way for Abraham to believe that his son would both die and remain alive if he sacrificed him to God was if Abraham accepted the absurdity of such a belief through a leap of faith.

beliefs are not supposed to be rational (ie they do not follow the scientific method), and in that case, bumblebee, i would say that an answer made out of thin air can very much be called an answer, and to believe it one takes Kierkegaards leap of faith

Mike da King

Smash Apprentice
Beliefs are not necessarily irrational; you can (and should) believe once sufficient evidence is put forth to prove "beyond a reasonable doubt" the truth of the matter. I say that an answer made up out of thin air is likely to be a wrong answer unless the question involves making things up out of thin air, or evidence exists that supports this answer... but we would be correct to call a wrong answer (such as "x=3 is a solution of 1+1=x") an "answer" in the logical sense.

"God made it." is an answer to the question, "Why does the universe exist?" but it is likely to be a wrong answer, as there is no evidence for the existance of God (or Zarpandit, or Vishnu, for that matter). What once was "evidence" for gods (the weather, the celestial bodies, etc.) is no longer supposed to be a direct result of the actions of a supernatural being, as it has sufficient natural explanation.

game and kirby

Smash Journeyman
Despite your impressive appeals to authority, princeps, I believe that it is perfectly possible and reasonable to label religion as inherently 'fake' . The leap of faith you described can only happen, as you said yourself, paraphrasing whoever it was, if the absurdity of the situation is accepted, i.e. if you lose your grip on reality for the purpouse of the given situation. In my book, losing one's faith in facts and proven knowledge and letting one be ruled by what he desperately hopes (in that case, that his son would live on after being sacrificed) pretty much constitutes living falsehood, since what he believes in is devoid of fact or proof behind it. Definition of fake:

having a fake or misleading appearence, fraudulent.

The leap of faith neatly enters those categories. Religion? Fake.

Oh and BBT, you don't believe in those gods, but you forgot the Demi-urgos from the greek...do you believe in him?lol jk

-G&K

Crono

BRoomer
BRoomer
Bee's obviously a follower of old Norse beliefs, as would be any logical person.

Ragnarok's a-comin'! Watch out for lava beasts and giant wolves!

princeps

Smash Journeyman
g&k: i agree that believing in the face of the absurd is, from a rational perspective, living in falsehood. but then again, self deception is an integral aspect of existence. have you heard of Sartre's theory of Bad Faith? pick up a copy of Being & Nothingness if you are interested in self deception and existentialism in general, that book is amazing. the gist of that theory is that humans, as being-for-themselves, are always much more and much less than what they are. this can be explained both through Time, and self-deception.

humans 'dumb down' pretty much everything they encounter. example: our blind spot: if you close one eye, there is a certain area we simply do not see, as the eyeball has no rods & cones at the area where nerves exit the retina. it does not matter, as the brain conveniently fills out that blank by using the pattern of stimuli coming from the closest optical nerves to the blind spot. so a part of our visual field is simply made up by the brain. is that living in falsehood? one can easily argue that it is.

same with schemata. we enter situations with a significant bias as to what we expect to see, acting as a huge selection factor as to what visual information we retain from our surroundings (fyi, stereotyping is one schema). is that bad? well yes, but imagine if we could make no cognitive preparation as to what a 'store' looks like, or what 'rational' is, or what a 'bird' should look like. cognitive processing would be infinitely more complex. did you know that most people rate a robin as more 'birdlike' than a pelican? why? because a robin fits better into the schema of bird (that is, according to most if not all experts in the field of cog psy, eg Dan Simons).

much the same with memory. memory might be one of the most poorly reliable aspect of cognition, as it is hugely biased toward categorizing random memories in a coherent, often 'storylike' streams (that is why we dream in stories and not in random flashes of stimuli). countless experiments have shown how easily memory retention can be directed and manipulated. BUT, memories are to a large degree what makes us who we are! is this living in falsehood? well, yes... but it is the way our brain functions.

religion may be living in falsehood, especially if you insist that there ARE scientific proofs for God, but that does not prove that religion is fake. it is just one way of viewing things. on a side note, science by its very nature must first state the premise that all scientific theories and findings are wrong, and then go on to disprove/improve said data. there will always be a margin of error, and NEVER absolute certainty in measurements, due to the nature of measurements. the theory of uncertainty, anyone?

Mike: you have to distinguish between 'belief' and 'to believe,' or perhaps denote two kinds of belief. belief(1) in an idea due to evidence supporting it is different from religious belief(2), which is the belief inherent in The Leap of Faith.

belief(2) is not based on concrete and scientific evidence. if you want to grasp the notion of religious belief, you must discard this requirement of 'evidence' you uphold, because an important aspect of faith is believing in the face of the absurd, or in this case believing against all evidence.

Mike da King

Smash Apprentice
Princeps, I like that analogy that you put forth:
Religion is a natural human method of "filling in the blanks" to perceive what feels like a more complete picture. Religion is falsehood just as the perceptions of false memory and in the blind spot are false; they have a practical purpose which is unnecessary given more accurate information. Schema are less connected with religion, but still exemplify the human susceptibility to self-delusion.

We are agreed thus far, eh?

But I argue that self-deception should be accounted for. Do not act on a false memory. Do not act on religion. The best choices are made with the best information about reality.

Jax

Smash Journeyman
I'm afraid that I have to dissagree with MDK on this. Religion, as is, is partially a way that we can answer the "Blanks," That is, the questions with no answers.
But, does that mean that it is not true? Simply because we cannot be positive of it, does that mean that it is automatically false?
There are in fact questions out there that cannot be answered. (Yippie! Metaphisics!) However, does that mean that they should not be thought about? Oh coarse not!
Why, to me, all of mathematics points strait to a supreme being. 1+1=2. This is a fact we know. It is absolute truth. However, WHY is it like that?
A^2+B^2=C^2
Is this sort of obvious design just coincedence? I'm sorry, but I simply cannot accept that answer.
ALl of the wonderful design in math (and the rest of the world, too) suggests the precense of a designer to me.

Jax

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, I'm afraid I don't quite get ya... I guess some miscommunication.
I never said that science didn't try to fill in the blanks. Take evolution. I tries to fill in the blank of how we all got here. Science tries to fill in blanks all the time.
However, I'm interesting in this string theory. Das ist?

spytek2k

Smash Apprentice
Wonderful mathematal design? Mathematics is a human perception. And a polynomial with x^4 has no formula (x^3 has 20 seperate equations based on the co-efficients) , and only modern technology can graph them.

"Filling in the blanks" does happen with science, however these are simple hypothesis, and are not regaqrded as fact. They also have a theorized "because" factor (If, Then, Because format), meaning that there is a reason behind this hypothesis. For religion, there is no basis behind the blank filling.

MasterFoot

Smash Journeyman
I have to say, I found the article that BBT posted to be very interesting. All ready bieng an Athiest i am now even further drawn towards It, very nice article BBT.

Doomanite_X

Smash Apprentice
atheists know that if they see their point of view, they will understand. It's just seeing their point of views, and it's so simple to realise how God fever's everywhere.

Jax

Smash Journeyman
Erm... numbers are a human perception, are they? So... the entire field of physics is just a human perception? Oh, well then, biology is just a human perception, too, right? And chemistry, and just about everything else we learn. Nothing really exists, so why study it?

How so is there no basis for Religios hypothesis? I look at my hand. It's amazing. It's made of tons of itty-bitty bones, it can twist this way and that, it has five digits that can move competely independantly of each other, it has skin covering the entire outside so that stuff can't get in, it has an amazing system to get oxygen and food to every cell, and it has an incredibly complex system of neuro pathways so that it coordinates, and types out this message to you with the help of my brain.

People keep on asking for miracles of God, for some sort of proof. You think fire reigning from heaven is impressive, look down at you're right wrist and see what is attatched to it.

ON each of our arms, we have things that are so much more complex than all the most advanced wokings of all the most complex workings of the most advanced super computers we have ever built.

If you saw a 747 flying through a sky, or a dell laptob sitting on a desk, it would instnatly occur to you that someone had designed it? Of coarse? Then why, when you are a million times more complex and obviously designed than that, yould you deny that someone made you?

It's even evident on the smallest sources of the universe. We have theorized about Atoms and such, but every theory we come across so far has been intensely organized, and all with specific rules. Honestly, can you expect that to happen just randomly.

You mentioned the scientific standard. IF, THEN, BECAUSE.

We are not really that different.

You try to come up with ways that we were not designed, but happened randomly.

We say this:

IF: it seems apparent in all things that the universe is organized, complex, and of a specific design,

THEN: We surmize that there is a being who made, and designed the universe.

BECAUSE: design does not occer randomly, by its very nature, it demands a designer.
To alpha zealot, thank you for the information. NOw that I think of it, I think I have heard of this theory. And you're right, it is very complex.
To DoomanyteX: Ummmm.... what? I don't get it? Am I stupid?

Bumble Bee Tuna

Dolphin-Safe
BRoomer
Unfortunately for you, Jax, the evidence backs up evolution, not creation. The marvels of your right hand are thus a moot point. If you'd like to argue intelligent design, though, there are threads for that. I'd be glad to bring up all the examples of incompetent design in nature, if you're so inclined to hear about them. Another thread though, bro, another thread.

After all, isn't the engineers joke as follows?

electrical engineer: God is an electrical engineer. Just look at the circuitry of the brain!
structural engineer: God is a structural engineer! Look at the amazing structure of the skeleton!
Engineer that doesn't like civil engineers: No way, God is a civil engineer. Who else would put a sewage system right through a recreation center?

-B

EvilAttackLlama

Smash Journeyman
I've seen way too many arguments based around how atheists are immoral, dogma preaching, venom spewing imbeciles.

That is just stupid and stereotypical.

First of all, relegion has no patent on morals. In fact, not all religions would be considered moral. For instance, satanism, and radical Islam (known as Islamism to westerners) are religions that most people would consider immoral. Most of the great genocides in history were instigated by religious men.

As for dogma, I can't stand idiots who preach dogma to atheists about how atheists are preaching atheist dogma to theists.

Most people who complain about atheist dogma would be more than happy to preach theist dogma to atheists!

Finally, there is the perception that atheists are rabble raisers. This is just more dogma. Sure, many atheists are surrounded by religion, and take that as a chance to express their views on the subject, for the same reason that many theists would (and do, given the chance) try to convert people to their religion.

Most annoying are the people who say atheists should stop trying to debate their view. If you don't want to debate, don't come to a debate board! Duh!

Also does anyone know a synonym for religion? I do, I do! Faith. One meaning of the word faith, according to dictionary.com, is "belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence." No evidence means that it can't be proven! It's right there, in the definition of the word!

To be fair, other definitons inculde "The theological virtue defined as secure belief in God and a trusting acceptance of God's will," but even there, the definiton makes no mention of proof, merely "trusting acceptance."

By the way, I personally am an agnostic, which means I do not know whether God/gods exist(s) or not, and if he does, what form he/she/they take(s).

Also does anyone know a synonym for religion? I do, I do! Faith. One meaning of the word faith, according to dictionary.com, is "belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence." No evidence means that it can't be proven! It's right there, in the definition of the word!

To be fair, other definitons inculde "The theological virtue defined as secure belief in God and a trusting acceptance of God's will," but even there, the definiton makes no mention of proof, merely "trusting acceptance."

Syterion

Smash Cadet
Originally posted by Jax
Erm... numbers are a human perception, are they? So... the entire field of physics is just a human perception? Oh, well then, biology is just a human perception, too, right? And chemistry, and just about everything else we learn. Nothing really exists, so why study it?

Numbers are a human designed method of organization. Physics is a human designed method of using mathematics to explain how matter works and behaves. Most of the theories of physics are true on Earth, but we can't assume. So far they've let us advance in technology, so for all purposes we can assume its true. The same goes for biology and chemistry. They are just ways to explain how the world works without using wild theories like the so called "God".

How so is there no basis for Religios hypothesis? I look at my hand. It's amazing. It's made of tons of itty-bitty bones, it can twist this way and that, it has five digits that can move competely independantly of each other, it has skin covering the entire outside so that stuff can't get in, it has an amazing system to get oxygen and food to every cell, and it has an incredibly complex system of neuro pathways so that it coordinates, and types out this message to you with the help of my brain.

People keep on asking for miracles of God, for some sort of proof. You think fire reigning from heaven is impressive, look down at you're right wrist and see what is attatched to it.

ON each of our arms, we have things that are so much more complex than all the most advanced wokings of all the most complex workings of the most advanced super computers we have ever built.
I agree, the human hand is amazing, but you are forgetting that like you said, it has bones, skin, blood vessels to transport oxygen. These are what humans have found out after centuries of studying the human body. This doesn't prove the existence of "God". This practically justifies all the scientifically designed theories about the human body that humans worked to find out.

If you saw a 747 flying through a sky, or a dell laptob sitting on a desk, it would instnatly occur to you that someone had designed it? Of coarse? Then why, when you are a million times more complex and obviously designed than that, yould you deny that someone made you?

It's even evident on the smallest sources of the universe. We have theorized about Atoms and such, but every theory we come across so far has been intensely organized, and all with specific rules. Honestly, can you expect that to happen just randomly.
We don't think it was random. We have many theories about how the Universe and Earth came to be, and how things evolved on Earth.

You mentioned the scientific standard. IF, THEN, BECAUSE.

We are not really that different.

You try to come up with ways that we were not designed, but happened randomly.

We say this:

IF: it seems apparent in all things that the universe is organized, complex, and of a specific design,

THEN: We surmize that there is a being who made, and designed the universe.

BECAUSE: design does not occer randomly, by its very nature, it demands a designer.
To alpha zealot, thank you for the information. NOw that I think of it, I think I have heard of this theory. And you're right, it is very complex.
To DoomanyteX: Ummmm.... what? I don't get it? Am I stupid?
To me, if something is complex, with specific rules it suggests their is a scientific reason for it, not that it was designed.

That's my two cents.

Jax

Smash Journeyman
"I agree, the human hand is amazing, but you are forgetting that like you said, it has bones, skin, blood vessels to transport oxygen. These are what humans have found out after centuries of studying the human body. This doesn't prove the existence of "God". This practically justifies all the scientifically designed theories about the human body that humans worked to find out."

Ermm. Okay, yes, this proves the theories of the human body. We have lysomes, and bones, and cells, and nuclei, etc. The fact that humans found this out gradually effects my statement how?
I never said the hand proves the existance, I said that the sheer complexity and design in it suggests the presence of a designer, doesn't prove it.

"To me, if something is complex, with specific rules it suggests their is a scientific reason for it, not that it was designed."

Well, I guess that's just a complete difference in oppinions then.

"We don't think it was random. We have many theories about how the Universe and Earth came to be, and how things evolved on Earth."

I'm not juust talking about evolution here. Note the bit on atoms, and elements. They are all incredibly complex, and amazingly organized. I hope you're not going to say they evolved. I've never heard a theory on how they came to be.

"Numbers are a human designed method of organization. Physics is a human designed method of using mathematics to explain how matter works and behaves. Most of the theories of physics are true on Earth, but we can't assume. So far they've let us advance in technology, so for all purposes we can assume its true. The same goes for biology and chemistry. They are just ways to explain how the world works without using wild theories like the so called "God"."

They explain how it works, but not why. I don't think that gravity is just a human perception, cause if it is, things are messed up. Why does gravity work the way it does?

Sirus011

Smash Apprentice
Question.

If all matter in the universe are simply remnants of the Big Bang and God created the Big bang. What created God?

After all somthing cannot come from nothing.

Thermodynamics.... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!

Or is that just energy...

Jax

Smash Journeyman
unfortunately, no. God, by his very nature, GOd would not come from anything. God, in of himself, is outside time, and thus, ageless. God, always was, is, and will be. He needs no beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom