• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 2006-2008 Tier list

Status
Not open for further replies.

REØ

Smash Lord
the tier list isn't based on stats, it's based on how well the characters place in tournaments

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Well if they're ignoring it, and I am. Then yes. So that means that the ******** members, the new members and Mud Buddha are ignoring it.
Awesome :cool:
The first reply said it was for discussion. If it wasn't for discussion, there would be no reason to make a new one anyway. You could just sticky the older closed one.
Yes, for discussion, not simply arguing who's the best and worst.
******** crap goes hand in hand with internet discussion, as much as I vehemently dislike it, there's little I can do about it.
Exactly
I was saying that if presented with a tier list that statistically places characters based on tournament results, you can't dispute it.
You can still discuss it lol, not everything has to be an argument.
Look. I'll make another example, If there are several tournaments and Shiek finishes top in 12 of them, and Ness finishes top in 35 of them, who is statistically the stronger tournament character? Ness.
Because of that, you CANNOT argue that Shiek is statistically the stronger tournament character. It's right there in the statistics, Shiek is statistically the WORSE tournament character.
......I still don't understand, sorry. Maybe someone else can refute this? I don't get this whole Sheik doing better but being the worse character thing.
It's just that this guy might get a bad impression of the boards based on this one response.
Well, lol, most people do have a bad impression of the boards.. Because of numerous posts from...well, noobs. Players (mainly the experienced ones) have stopped going into the melee discussion/character specific parts of this site.
[23:20] <NEO> yea smashboards is whack
[23:20] <NEO> bunch of ****** that don't know what they're talking about

No, I know. That's why I quoted Wimpyfish and not you. What you said was fine.
kk

StripesOrBars

Smash Master
You know its funny.

All the Shiek players cry about Fox being a "counter" to her.

At MLG Orlando this past week, Ken's Fox lost to both KDJ and Isai's Shiek.

Oh and let's not forget Smash Aid a couple months ago when Drephen's Shiek beat Chillen's Fox in the Finals.

M2K also complained about Shiek(Captain Jacks mainly) and Fox being even.

That's the 3 best Fox's losing to the 4 best Shiek.

LOL Shiek players never fail to amaze me with thier patheticness at trying to make Shiek look like a "dead end" character. They just hate even match ups.

Shiek and Fox is even.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Word, Fox doesn't > Sheik, it's a very close match. I myself say it's even.
Only IC and Falco "clearly" > Sheik

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
How does falco? (needs tips) Also just as a quote, a lot of the internet is filled by crap but ingnoring that you can get a lot of worthwhile discussions with intelligent people that are worth listening to (samuraipanda) so not everything on the internet is to be ignored and not taken seeriously, sorry just had to say that.

Also, how many times will this "it's based on how well the characters place in tournaments" need to be said?

woody72691

Smash Ace
ok captain falcon should be a high tier thats wut i think because hes the best and ice climbers should be low tie they suck

Mista Sinista

Smash Lord
ok captain falcon should be a high tier thats wut i think because hes the best and ice climbers should be low tie they suck
You're right, Ice Climbers are terrible. That's why ChuDat (an Ice Climbers player) is #2 in the US and is able to beat practically every single pro smasher.

I say IC's go at the very bottom of the tier list.

allboutpeach

Smash Ace
I still do not understand why Falco is in the #2 spot.. I'm leaning towards 4th or 5th. Peach is a much better option. She has adv on Falco, C Falcon, Samus.. is even with fox.. and technically shiek, and marth have advantage on her. however we all know that those fights are almost even. If Ken is the best player in the world, then how did his Marth *whom has advantage* lose to Mikael's Peach?? Everyone agree with the top 5... it cannot really be disputed, however i'm much for infavor of this:

Top Tier:
Fox
Peach

High Tier:
Marth
Falco
Sheik

... as you can see Fox is still currently in the #1 position I do not believe that anyone will dispute that, however I have moved peach into the 2nd place. Not only is she the best partner for teams, but also can float cancel (effectivly making her arials fasters than falco's and fox's), her DI and Float make her able to survive non UpSmashes, and Tips well into the 150's, and the ability to pull out Turnips enables her to camp, and spam allowing her to stall matches and **** recoverys... can anyone say StitchFace.... Did i also forget to mention her downsmash. At zero percent she can UpThrow DownSmash Fox, and Falco and they cannot escape taking 48 damage. That is rediculous... but wait, i'm on FD she i guess she'll zero-death me after doing 48 damage by chaingrabbing me.... >_> so yeah. Peach for #2 <(^_^)b

Time to Update this post...

Marth for third. He doesn't really have any terrible matchups, and he can chaingrab Fox+Falco. Shiek gives him trouble but most pro marths will tell you that she is really only a "soft counter". His tipper allows him to KO at very low %'s, and whether or not an opponent DIs his reach enables him to follow up his combos reguardless. Many marths have told me that Peach is more even than a counter but reaguardless he still outranges her. >_> He is just too good. Ken uses Marth for obvious reasons. KM13 uses Marth for obvious reasons. Almost every pro has a Marth to fall back on b/c he is just that good. You cannot really underestimate the power of a sucessful Ken combo, and his ability to edgeguard is truley unmatched. Pretty much he doesn't really have any terrible matchups, and his range makes him a force to be reckoned with. Chaingrab ect. Marth for #3 <(^_^)b

Falco for fourth.. Yes, he does have the shine, and probably the best approach in the game.. however his recovery is what holds him back, and his grab game is mid tier at best. There are alot of Peaches out there, and they can give Falco a harder time than IC's. Dash Attacks are nice, but DownSmashes are better. Her turnip, and air game totally neutralizes his already abizzzmmaal recovery, and her DownSmash allows her to do lots of damage very quickly... I've seen peaches that can barely float cancel take 2 stock off pro falcos just by DS'ing, and Chaingrabbing. Falco is also rediculously easy to combo; difficult to get into a combo mind you, but once he's in that combo it becomes fatal for him. Now you ask "well then why is Fox in the #1 spot"? the answer is that his recovery enables him get combo'ed and live. Falco's does not. Simple. Even PC Chris knows better than to use Falco against a Peach... that is why he pulls out Fox. Peach is the reason Falco will never be second; Marth+IC's+FD just add to the formula. Falco for #4 <(^_^)b

When was the last time anyone ever (and i mean ever) saw a Shiek win a tournament?? Of Course since Shiek's chaingrab made half of the almost playable characters in the game obsolete she must be given the #5 spot. So do I really need to justify why she is placed here. Yes she is top 5.. but if she is not more "broken" than Fox, Peach, Falco, and Marth what place is left... Shiek for #5 <(^_^)b

Before i sign off I would like to review the broken'ness of the top 5 characters...

Fox: Shine, Lasers, UpSmash, UpAir, Grabgame...
Peach: DownSmash, Turnips, Float, FloatCancel, ChainGrab, Chaingrab...
Marth: FSmash, Grabgame, Range, Chaingrab, Tipper...
Falco: Shine, Lasers, Speed...
Shiek: Chaingrab, Grabgame, FAir, Needles...

So there you have it. But wait there's more:

#1 in Japan- Mikeal=Peach
#1 in United S- Ken= Marth+Fox
#2 in Japan- ... = probably Fox >_>
#2 in United S- PC Chris= Fox+Falco+Marth
Original #2 in US- Azen= Shiek+Everyone Else <_<

My 2 cents...

Good Day Sirs.

i agree totally woot peach for #2

D

Deleted member

Fox does the best in tourneys, so yes, he's that good.
really. I don't recall. Tell me again the most recent large scale tournament won by fox?

mlg orlando? nope
mlg anaheim? nope
OC2? nope
MLG chicago? nope
FC6? nope
MLG NYC? nope

gee, seems fox doesn't win ANYTHING lately.

Phail/10

D

Deleted member

I rest my case. I've been saying marth is the best for ages now.

falco is good.

Mrobinson587

Smash Apprentice
me and some other people have discussed the peach ranking I agree with the second place for peach. Watch the mikeal videos and see how peach should be played. He plays peach more patiently the most American peaches and abuses her abilities thoroughly.

or it could just be that mikeal has crazy good mindgames that american peaches don't

Oh and i think it was fox and falco that said a lot of the pros stop coming here beacause of the noobs

Why don't they just use the back room then? thats what it's there for

Blood Falcon

Smash Journeyman
i guess the reason fox is at the top is cuz the tier is based a little on character potential too. i think

why is shiek so high though?
i think Fox is top because a lot of good ppl use him, either as a main or a secondary and are rly good with him.

Sheik is high because shes fast and has no weakness, but she doesnt have a lot of killing moves (the only ones i think she has are her Fair and Usmash).

D

Deleted member

Fox is high because whilst he hasn't won all the fox's get placed very high in tourneys just not top.
then why isn't marth higher than him? marth places higher than fox (1st most of the time), and why would the top character not place top in tournaments?

i think Fox is top because a lot of good ppl use him, either as a main or a secondary and are rly good with him.
tiers are independant of character usage. If everyone played mewtwo he'd still suck.

The fact is, the tier list is flawed, Fox is not the best character in the game. Why would a tier list for tournaments not be based on tournament results?

StripesOrBars

Smash Master

COMMOFDOOM

Smash Apprentice
falco --> unstoppable
fox --> stoppable by a good falco or marth.

higher
sheik --> ***** everyone super hard. IC's are counter and even matchup with fox. probably uphill vs falco.

high
marth --> ***** everyone hard but sheik, who is a counter. even with fox and falco.
peach --> competetive with all characters

tbh the list is pretty much based on how well those characters do against fox and falco, because everyone and their mother plays them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom