• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 2006-2008 Tier list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightmare KoRn Kid

Smash Champion
Hey, some one smart, meaning not YOU, (maybe you) send me a PM telling me why Link is above Luigi when tourney luigi's have been doing more than any Links... I was under the impression tourney links were actually having a falling out... ss4Ricky doesn't go to many tourneys any more >.> And i mean, Germ doesn't exactly do as well as some of the luigi's out there do... such as AZEN

Seriously if you're and idiot and haven't been here longer than i have(by hopefully a lot), don't send me a PM. (and if this has been covered here, forgive my lack of feeling like looking for it in the mess of OMFG FLACLO ISNMT HTATH GEWD!!)

Ohh, smart person also tell me if you also think Falco should be tier 1 >.>

Thanks smart person...and no not YOU! (and again maybe you)

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
Man, Nightmare, who got your panties in a bunch?

Since someone posted that approximate tier list from CJ, now I really want to see some more Japanese players, especially if whoever said CJ uses DK was telling the truth. Does anyone know the name of his site?

Oh, and I really don't think CF can easily **** Marth, Shiek, and Peach. Two of them have a buttload of priority on him (pun intended), which are also somewhat harder to combo because they're floaty, and while a match between CF and Shiek I think would come down to skill, I'd have to say Shiek still has some advantage. Just because her uair isn't used as much as her fair doesn't mean it isn't good. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen a SheikVSCF. Now I wish I had a vid of that.

PerfectSickness

Smash Cadet
Columbus, Ohio (Smash Capital of the WORLD!)
this is crap, zelda is not bottom tier material she chainthrows anyone worthwhile and her recovery is nasty. u guys are ***'s but i guess it doesnt matter as long as i own with her.
tell me im not the only zelda user outraged by this or just tell me im not the only zelda user.... anyway yea u guys suck

Rose

Smash Journeyman
At like 2 stages Falcon is even with Marth. Everywhere else Marth has an advantage. Peach has an advantage over Falcon pretty much everywhere (priority, yuck). Sheik can combo him very easily, but CF can still win this match, he just has to work harder.

Overall, the matchups are almost even with CF at a small disadvantage.

That being said, these matchups are nothing compared to Falcon VS space animals. That is an unredeemably terrible counter. Falcon has to tech-chase to rack up damage. And against good players that can mixup their wakeups/techs/rolls/ect. adequately, a large part of that is luck.

CF only truly counters Bowser, but he has sizeable advantages over Samus, Ganon, and a slew of lower tiers. ICs go even with him.

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
Zelda is so low due to her performing badly in tourneys (I guess). Bowser will surely soon climb the ranks to mid tier (OBVIOUSLY). But seriously, surely nearly everyone counters bowser :p.

Heh just realised I got neg repped by some ****** in this thread calling me a noob, lol he put QFT is his comment, what a ******.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
For God's sake, people, why do you care if your character is ranked low on the Tier List?

You know what it means for your character to be high tier?

More johns and less respect when you win.

ripkirby

Smash Cadet
If your character is low tier, you can use that fact as a smack-talk-tool if you win. If you win.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
I'm asking once more just in case someone else sees this, anyone know the name of CJ's site, or just one with a lot of Japanese players, most specifically a Japanese Link?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Hmmm now I check this tier list again I dont quite agree with GAW's place. In my opion I think he atleast be lower then Ness. Maybe this is because I never fought a good Game and Watch, but I think he is a character with very few options. His roll is very laggy (maybe even worse then Samus') and his WD isnt great either. The only good moves I think are the parachute, dtilt and fsmash. But I must say, his throws are pretty good mindgames.

I also think Kirby should move above Bowser. Kirby's duck is incredible useful for dodging projo's, knees and Gaint punches and punish them with a dtilt. Kirby's speed is not fantastic but its atleast somewhat above avarage. And I like Uair and Bair, only its pretty hard to SHFFL with floaties.

And Mewtwo is punished way to hard for his weight. I think M2 should be placed just below Kirby and above Bowser. Mewtwo's tilts come out pretty fast and have pretty good range. His Uair has a nice sweetspot to and isnt even hard to SHFFL. Sometimes a Dthrow followed by a Fair works to for me. And however it's pretty weak, Mewtwo DOES has a meteor, and no mather how you look at it, a meteor is always handy to have. Mewtwo's WD is long but its a bit of a shame that he only bends his knees, making him still a large target. The big shame is M2's weight, but he atleast has a good vertical recovery which somehow makes up for it a little...

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Diddy Kong, the tier list isn't simply about how good characters are. You can't just say, "I think so and so is better than this guy, therefore he should be higher". That crap doesn't really matter, it's mostly about how well they do in tournaments.
For example, I think Peach is better on Marth, but Marth is higher list...the reason I don't complain is because Marth players do better than Peach players, that's it.

Samochan

Smash Master
Diddy, this tier list is still just how the characters do in tournaments, not how good a characters is, though I wish more people would pick up Kirby while looking at his pros and not laugh at him for his cons instead. But if my friend Runt (aka Blade) is succesful in this another tournament with his kirby, I think that and his success on KOTC would be enough to justify Kirby's move on a tier list, above Bowser at least. I also heard KrazyKirbyKid went on his tournament with just Kirby and was crazy, though I dunno how well he placed.

Rose

Smash Journeyman
Tier isn't about how good a character is, blah blah blah. but I need to argue this post:

Hmmm now I check this tier list again I dont quite agree with GAW's place. In my opion I think he atleast be lower then Ness. Maybe this is because I never fought a good Game and Watch, but I think he is a character with very few options. His roll is very laggy (maybe even worse then Samus') and his WD isnt great either. The only good moves I think are the parachute, dtilt and fsmash. But I must say, his throws are pretty good mindgames.
Compared to Ness, GaW is broken. he has huge disjointed hitboxes on half of his attacks (hard to shieldgrab) and d-tilt comes out super fast with excellent priority, opening combos at lower percents and killing at higher ones (plus it edgeguards certain characters to death). Yes, most of GaW's moves are laggy and suck. Yes, all of his defensive options are horrid. But seriously, look at Ness. Other than speed, what does he have on GaW? GaW actually has decent recovery, can't say so much for Ness.

I also think Kirby should move above Bowser. Kirby's duck is incredible useful for dodging projo's, knees and Gaint punches and punish them with a dtilt. Kirby's speed is not fantastic but its atleast somewhat above avarage. And I like Uair and Bair, only its pretty hard to SHFFL with floaties.
Punish with a d-tilt? LOL. Kirby is a horrid character.

And Mewtwo is punished way to hard for his weight. I think M2 should be placed just below Kirby and above Bowser. Mewtwo's tilts come out pretty fast and have pretty good range. His Uair has a nice sweetspot to and isnt even hard to SHFFL. Sometimes a Dthrow followed by a Fair works to for me. And however it's pretty weak, Mewtwo DOES has a meteor, and no mather how you look at it, a meteor is always handy to have. Mewtwo's WD is long but its a bit of a shame that he only bends his knees, making him still a large target. The big shame is M2's weight, but he atleast has a good vertical recovery which somehow makes up for it a little...
Bowser doesn't suck as hard as you think he does.

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
Read Gimpyfish's Essay in defence of bowser (in the bowser section) it explains why he isn't that bad. However Ness has many options, his dash attack has superb range and if hit right great knockback, his Thunder and be used in MANY ways if you know how his basball bat has ridiculous range decent damage and speed, and Idon't really know any more because i'm not a Ness player. of course all of this would only affect it if it were based on ability.

THE RAGE!!!

Smash Rookie
Before any noobs post:

The list isn't based on soley on "the best character" to "the worst". I don't want to read anymore post like "Zelda should be higher because of this move and that" or any other crap because this isn't that this list is really about. What matters is that Zelda players don't do well in tournaments, therefore Zelda doesn't look so hot on the tier list. I don't want to see "so and so" is a better character then someone else and therfore should be higher.
TOURNAMENT RESULTS PPL
If tier lists are based on who does well in tournaments then they are useless because there is no way to measure if players are equal in skill therefore there's no way to discern a bad player from a bad charcter

if you want to make a truly accurate tier list then you should have level 9 CPU's battle it out

CodeBlue

Smash Apprentice
if you want to make a truly accurate tier list then you should have level 9 CPU's battle it out
Do you know how asinine it is to suggest an accurate tier list would come out of level 9's fighting each other?

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
If tier lists are based on who does well in tournaments then they are useless because there is no way to measure if players are equal in skill therefore there's no way to discern a bad player from a bad charcter
The tier list is based on major tournaments well all of the players are at a highly competitive playing level...
The tier list is a measure of how characters stack up in tournament play according to the current metagame.
No...Level 9 computers don't understand the potential of their own character, they were programmed to do oh so little.

Welcome to smashboards, be sure to post after you actually learn something.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
hahaha, yes, that is sig worthly. I love new members, they say funny things.

Mud Buddha

Smash Ace
The tier list is based on major tournaments well all of the players are at a highly competitive playing level...
The tier list is a measure of how characters stack up in tournament play according to the current metagame.
Yes, we're aware that's what it's based on. But if that meant we couldn't discuss who's better than who, then there would be no point in this topic, would there?

You can't argue with the statistics from tournaments. You can't say, "I think the average places Mewtwo higher", it either does, or it doesn't.

So please stop trying to shoot down people who are trying to contribute to this thread.

Wimpyfish62

Smash Rookie

LOLMFAOROFL

PLEASE tell me you are trolling, because you are incredibly wrong.
when are level 9's good ever?

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Yes, we're aware that's what it's based on.
NO, "your" not. I have to constantly make myself clear to people who post "i think he is better then him" crap.
But if that meant we couldn't discuss who's better than who, then there would be no point in this topic, would there?
YES, there would.
You can't argue with the statistics from tournaments. You can't say, "I think the average places Mewtwo higher", it either does, or it doesn't.
So please stop trying to shoot down people who are trying to contribute to this thread.
I'm sorry, I think he's right about the fact we should have lvl 9's battle it out....
Anyways, haven't you been reading any other posts other than mine....

sry, if someone's wrong, they're wrong, d@mn

Mud Buddha

Smash Ace
LOLMFAOROFL

PLEASE tell me you are trolling, because you are incredibly wrong.
when are level 9's good ever?
Would you get off his back? He's clearly new, and whilst what he said might be considered idiotic coming from someone who understood the ins and outs of smash, he might not.

REØ

Smash Lord
mud buddha calm down we're just jokin around, besides you have to admitt that was pretty **** funny

Mud Buddha

Smash Ace
NO, "your" not. I have to constantly make myself clear to people who post "i think he is better then him" crap.
Yes, we clearly ****ing are. We're just IGNORING it. People have been posting about it for at least 4 pages.

Also, it's YOU'RE in this case. YOU ARE.

YES, there would.
NO, there wouldn't.

You CAN'T argue with a statistic. If you're suggesting that there is more to it than statistics, then it becomes who's better than who.

Yes? What the **** is this? You can't dispute my point? No, I didn't think so.

I'm sorry, I think he's right about the fact we should have lvl 9's battle it out....
Anyways, haven't you been reading any other posts other than mine....
HAR HAR YOU ARE FUNNY.

...welcome to the Internet.
Yes, propagating one of the most ******** traits of the internet is definately a good idea.

mud buddha calm down we're just jokin around, besides you have to admitt that was pretty **** funny
Yeah, I know. But it was the way he did it that pissed me off.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Yes, we clearly ****ing are. We're just IGNORING it. People have been posting about it for at least 4 pages.
We obviously. And by "we're", do you include yourself with the new members and retarted posters?
NO, there wouldn't.

You CAN'T argue with a statistic. If you're suggesting that there is more to it than statistics, then it becomes who's better than who.
Right, that's why you don't argue...the tier list wasn't made simply for arguments. Anyways, would you argee that there's never been a statistic thread on smashboards before that's had a decent discussion?
Notice how the intelligent posters, or simply put those how have been here long enough, haven't posted any retarted crap.The last Tier List thread was closed because of these members who posted...well, crap.
Yes? What the **** is this? You can't dispute my point? No, I didn't think so.
There was nothing to dispute, well, I least nothing I could see. You just presented a horrible example which I can't understand.
What you are trying to say:
"I think the average places Mew2 higher" it either does or doesn't
^ WTF is that
Yes, propagating one of the most ******** traits of the internet is definately a good idea.
No, I meant that in the sense that no one should take any crap on the Internet seriously (well, those over the age of 12).
Yeah, I know. But it was the way he did it that pissed me off.
This is what I mean, if you get mad over something over the Internet (especially something ....like this), you should feel sorry for yourself.
Take note that I simply corrected him, I didn't say anything like "ZOMG, THIS GUY MUST BE TROLLING" or "i feel sorry for him"....

Mud Buddha

Smash Ace
We obviously. And by "we're", do you include yourself with the new members and retarted posters?
Well if they're ignoring it, and I am. Then yes. So that means that the ******** members, the new members and Mud Buddha are ignoring it.

Right, that's why you don't argue...the tier list wasn't made simply for arguments. Anyways, would you argeee that there's never been a statistic thread on smashboards before that's had a decent discussion.
The first reply said it was for discussion. If it wasn't for discussion, there would be no reason to make a new one anyway. You could just sticky the older closed one.

Notice how the intelligent posters, or simply put those how have been here long enough, haven't posted any retarted crap.The last Tier List thread was closed because of these members who posted...well, crap.
******** crap goes hand in hand with internet discussion, as much as I vehemently dislike it, there's little I can do about it.

There was nothing to dispute, well, I least nothing I could see. You just presented a horrible example which I can't understand.
What you are trying to say:
"I think the average places Mew2 higher" it either does or doesn't
^ WTF is that
I was saying that if presented with a tier list that statistically places characters based on tournament results, you can't dispute it.

Look. I'll make another example, If there are several tournaments and Shiek finishes top in 12 of them, and Ness finishes top in 35 of them, who is statistically the stronger tournament character? Ness.

Because of that, you CANNOT argue that Shiek is statistically the stronger tournament character. It's right there in the statistics, Shiek is statistically the WORSE tournament character.

No, I meant that in the sense that no one should take any crap on the Internet seriously (well, those over the each of 12).

This is what I mean, if you get mad over something over the Internet (especially something ....like this), you should feel sorry for yourself.
It's just that this guy might get a bad impression of the boards based on this one response.

Take note that I simply corrected him, I didn't say anything like "ZOMG, THIS GUY MUST BE TROLLING" or "i feel sorry for him"....
No, I know. That's why I quoted Wimpyfish and not you. What you said was fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom