• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TDB: SEASON 2! LEON (RE4) vs LARA CROFT

Nova9000

Smash Lord
Roy's not "decent" with the blade.

He's good, he trained for years and years in order to wield it effectively, and honestly his style is probably gonna be a heck of a lot more effective then pretty much any other greatsword user you're gonna find.

Why? Because it's all about spacing.

DK will never get close enough to hit or do damage, Roy wins, no contest. Next MU.
Since when does Roy have a greatsword?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Doesn't look like it'd weigh that much.

One, two . . . three pounds max?
Personally, I say about two lbs.
But that's coming from a guy who knows next to squat about swords :/
Actually it IS pretty heavy, 4 and a half pounds at least (remember, this is a sword, so what seems like a reletively small amount of weight is a big deal).

But it offers a very significant range advantage, he's gonna be very well trained, and his spacing game is gonna be far better, so DK getting close is unlikely in anything except the fields helping dk the most.

Since when does Roy have a greatsword?
Check the proportions of the Sword of Seals, it's his canonical weapon (he has a rapier too canonically,which against DK is more devastating, if it becomes relevant we can argue practicality of carrying both).

Sword of seals, based on size and width, is definitely a greatsword.

Nova9000

Smash Lord
Check the proportions of the Sword of Seals, it's his canonical weapon (he has a rapier too canonically,which against DK is more devastating, if it becomes relevant we can argue practicality of carrying both).

Sword of seals, based on size and width, is definitely a greatsword.
Ok so i can see how it's one. But that doesn't mean that he has what it takes to beat DK.
Since it's about spacing DK would win. Roy swinging his sword would require more of a commitment than DK just backhanding him with his arms. Also remember that DK isn't a slouch himself; he's got a little agility with him as well. And DK would have to recieve a OHKO or monkey rage will break Roy.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Ok so i can see how it's one. But that doesn't mean that he has what it takes to beat DK.
Since it's about spacing DK would win. Roy swinging his sword would require more of a commitment than DK just backhanding him with his arms. Also remember that DK isn't a slouch himself; he's got a little agility with him as well. And DK would have to recieve a OHKO or monkey rage will break Roy.
Wrong.

Range kills.

Also, properly trained, not really, because post-swing, you get a defensive position if done properly, and Roy can retreat his swings and pressure.

There are swings which require a ton of commitment, but Roy isn't gonna use just those, most swings will be equivalent to jabs, to somebody properly trained with swordplay.

Think about Marth vs just about anyone. Most people are faster, but marth has the range to keep them out reliably. That's why he wins most match-ups, superior range breeds safety. (in melee and brawl)

You also gotta remember that these are foreign concepts to DK, DK isn't really trained to kill, he's more of a brawler, how's he gonna make Roy's sword whiff and punish?

xepherthree

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4167-4976-4789
Gold star for adum xD
Those are some of the points I was bringing up in my first post in this MU, I just didn't know enough about Roy xD

JOE!

Smash Hero
bringing up the ever present topic about this, since rel brought it up again:

what is stopping DK from just out-muscling Roy and hitting the sword from his hand? Or like, breaking his wrist if Roy holds on?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
bringing up the ever present topic about this, since rel brought it up again:

what is stopping DK from just out-muscling Roy and hitting the sword from his hand? Or like, breaking his wrist if Roy holds on?

I dunno, any pretense of realism.

Please try it against a greatsword.

Say goodbye to your hand. The best he could hope is hitting the flat with his hand and deflecting it, ape hands are no better at that then humans for the reason that it would simply cleave through either. With no protection (aka, something metal), it would be impossible.

I didn't bother to respond to the claim because honestly, it was so ridiculous that I didn't consider it necessary. It's basically no different from claiming peach's improvisation weapons can beat a trained swords(wo)man reliably.

No, not gonna happen.

The only way it could possibly happen is if he gets inside, and Roy is trained in spacing, and has a weapon far better for it. DK is a brawler. Maybe .001% of the time. No more.

This MU is horrifically lopsided.

payasofobia

Smash Champion
*Falcon arrives and says, "SHOW ME YOUR MOVES!"*
*Olimar whistles Pikmin to gather*
*Falcon shoots laser at lightspeed at Pikmin*
*Pikmin respond to the light and leave Oli*
*Oli scrambles to his spaceship*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX_jsbdfc6Y&feature=related
*Oli dies due to asphyxication, battered skull, and having his **** backed up*

I don't know or care when this post happened, but holy **** was it clever.

JOE!

Smash Hero
doesnt Marth also win his Mu's by having extreme mobility over 75% of the cast combined with his range?

anyways, in the event that DK hits the sword on the side (where it most likley will not cut his hand wide open, and the way a backhand to it most likley will hit as ROy wants the sharp end facing DK), would his immense strength not do something to mess with Roy? And then using his superior speed to close the gap?

payasofobia

Smash Champion

I dunno, any pretense of realism.

Please try it against a greatsword.

Say goodbye to your hand. The best he could hope is hitting the flat with his hand and deflecting it, ape hands are no better at that then humans for the reason that it would simply cleave through either. With no protection (aka, something metal), it would be impossible.

I didn't bother to respond to the claim because honestly, it was so ridiculous that I didn't consider it necessary. It's basically no different from claiming peach's improvisation weapons can beat a trained swords(wo)man reliably.

No, not gonna happen.

The only way it could possibly happen is if he gets inside, and Roy is trained in spacing, and has a weapon far better for it. DK is a brawler. Maybe .001% of the time. No more.

This MU is horrifically lopsided.
This man speaks some truth:

http://www.cracked.com/article_17185_7-awesome-super-powers-ruined-by-science.html

Look at number 6.

Punching the Greatsword in the edgy part its just going to make it a lot easier for the sword to cut his hand. Its like batting a chainsaw. The bat's movement is just going to make the job easier for the chainsaw. Physics say so.

But still....this won't work if the gorilla hits with a sweep of sorts and hits the flat side of the sword. And, considering Gorillas were, what was it? 15 times stronger than men? Means that Roy got some high chances of having his wrists destroyed.

Not to mention that gorillas are much more agile than men, have much longer arms, have impressive muscles and girth. I doubt Roy could chop DK's hand in one hit. Hell, he doesn't even have muscles, is pretty weak and lacks constitution in his game.

Saul, a priest, has the same constitution as Roy. Which is very low.

Technically, the sword of seals, a fairly light sword, is already heavy enough to slow his strikes down.

http://www.serenesforest.net/fe6/char_base.html

http://www.serenesforest.net/fe6/sword.htm

And slow=worse cutting power thanks to the above rule.

I am still not convinced on how a 15 year old kid with little muscles can step up against a gorilla. It makes no sense IMO.

JOE!

Smash Hero
and remember, DK is like a gorilla on steroids...

in all incarnations he is like, 6foot at shoulder, and heavily muscled more than a normal gorilla would be.

payasofobia

Smash Champion
And lastly, something I asked first in Diddy vs Luke MU: Roy knows how to fight against humans and know swordfighting made exclusively to use in sparring matches against human opponents. He is quite skilled at it.

But, does that mean he can use the same knowledge to fight against a rampaging monster 15 times his strenght and agility? Does he even have experience fighting againt a gorilla? Will sparring even help against a gorilla? Is swordfighting made to counter highly-intelligent gorillas?

Hell, does he even know how to use a broadsword? Didn't he, you know, trained in whatever you call that sword style that Raphael from Soul Calibur uses? The one that uses rapiers?

In his Master Lord animations he just swings the Sword of Seals wildly and without skill. He doesn't seem all that accostumed to using it.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
doesnt Marth also win his Mu's by having extreme mobility over 75% of the cast combined with his range?

It's range combined with precision, he beats out a lot of faster characters cause the can't get through.

anyways, in the event that DK hits the sword on the side (where it most likley will not cut his hand wide open, and the way a backhand to it most likley will hit as ROy wants the sharp end facing DK), would his immense strength not do something to mess with Roy? And then using his superior speed to close the gap?
It deflects it.

As a swordsman, most of our strikes expect that possibility, the hand is not stiff behind it, then roy redirects it back to a defensive position.

As for agility, he's not fast enough to get through reliably and he's a big target.

He can mess with roy if he gets inside, but even with his superior speed, you're looking at what's effectively a massive gap, and DK can only defend at very specific angles.

Now, he can't get through.

This man speaks some truth:

http://www.cracked.com/article_17185_7-awesome-super-powers-ruined-by-science.html

Look at number 6.

Punching the Greatsword in the edgy part its just going to make it a lot easier for the sword to cut his hand. Its like batting a chainsaw. The bat's movement is just going to make the job easier for the chainsaw. Physics say so.

But still....this won't work if the gorilla hits with a sweep of sorts and hits the flat side of the sword. And, considering Gorillas were, what was it? 15 times stronger than men? Means that Roy got some high chances of having his wrists destroyed.

Not to mention that gorillas are much more agile than men, have much longer arms, have impressive muscles and girth. I doubt Roy could chop DK's hand in one hit. Hell, he doesn't even have muscles, is pretty weak and lacks constitution in his game.

Saul, a priest, has the same constitution as Roy. Which is very low.

Technically, the sword of seals, a fairly light sword, is already heavy enough to slow his strikes down.

http://www.serenesforest.net/fe6/char_base.html

http://www.serenesforest.net/fe6/sword.htm

And slow=worse cutting power thanks to the above rule.

I am still not convinced on how a 15 year old kid with little muscles can step up against a gorilla. It makes no sense IMO.
He holds the wrists loose, like we're trained to do, it'll recoil, but it won't hurt it.

And yes, combination of blade, momentium, and lack of natural armor, any touch except the flat will go pretty much straight through. Anything that can't be cut can be crushed with appropriate strike, but jabs will go to bone.

But the main problem is he's not getting through roy's spacing game, he's a brawler, he needs a solid whiff in order to get through.

JOE!

Smash Hero
what about a second hand if the first hits the sword in any manner?

ROy only has 1 sword to fight against 2 gorilla arms, which are powered by somethign 15 times stronger, twice as fast and 3 times as big as he is

UncleSam

Smash Master
lolololololol JOE is playing dumb again until somebody slips up. gayer then camping IMO
JOE do you know what species you are?
homo sapien which is what Roy is. what do you have? that's right a brain... owait
anyway, so does Roy, do you know what humans do with brains? use them.

Roy has a weapon developed by humans, used by humans, and have made multiple other species extinct.
and he's going against this: http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=80
Now even though I hate both characters, one is going to have to win.

List of species we've killed off (there are probably more that were partially our fault too)

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
what about a second hand if the first hits the sword in any manner?

ROy only has 1 sword to fight against 2 gorilla arms, which are powered by somethign 15 times stronger, twice as fast and 3 times as big as he is
Roy does a diagonal retreat to gain the time to position his in front of dk's arm, blade first.

Dk's hand goes through the blade and splits in two, his own strength driving it.

Two things people don't seem to realize about swordplay.

Defensive maneuvers are a heck of a lot faster then offensive ones (moving it in position requires a flick of the wrist and moving the arm an eighth of an inch at min, and depending on the time, he can vary this).

Unless doing actually lunges (unnecessary against unarmored opponents) you have pretty much zero commitment from your legs. Which means you can freely retreat and space. Roy can do this because he's a trained swordsman in a style that emphasizes spacing, unlike DK, who's a brawler.

Nova9000

Smash Lord
lolololololol JOE is playing dumb again until somebody slips up. gayer then camping IMO
JOE do you know what species you are?
homo sapien which is what Roy is. what do you have? that's right a brain... owait
anyway, so does Roy, do you know what humans do with brains? use them.

Roy has a weapon developed by humans, used by humans, and have made multiple other species extinct.
and he's going against this: http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=80
Now even though I hate both characters, one is going to have to win.

List of species we've killed off (there are probably more that were partially our fault too)
Animals become extinct due to lack of resources for them (food, habitat, guns).
And even so what have we honestly made extinct with a sword?

Roy does a diagonal retreat to gain the time to position his in front of dk's arm, blade first.

Dk's hand goes through the blade and splits in two, his own strength driving it.

Two things people don't seem to realize about swordplay.

Defensive maneuvers are a heck of a lot faster then offensive ones (moving it in position requires a flick of the wrist and moving the arm an eighth of an inch at min, and depending on the time, he can vary this).

Unless doing actually lunges (unnecessary against unarmored opponents) you have pretty much zero commitment from your legs. Which means you can freely retreat and space. Roy can do this because he's a trained swordsman in a style that emphasizes spacing, unlike DK, who's a brawler.
I'm not taking anything away from Roy's blade. But to key off what Paya was saying, you cannot assume that just because a blade will OHKO a human that it will do the same w/ DK.
I agree with both respects (Roy= swordsman and DK= brawler), but DK muscle >>>>Roy's. In order to kill him, Roy would need more strength behind the sword to effectively deliver a blow to DK. That is why DK would win. And how do you "effectively" space a pissed gorilla?

UncleSam

Smash Master
wow you didn't even look at the link did you?
@ bold part - fail, guess who made those. we're much more capable.

I'm just pointing out what we have done.
I'm not taking anything away from Roy's blade. But to key off what Paya was saying, you cannot assume that just because a blade will OHKO a human that it will do the same w/ DK.
I agree with both respects (Roy= swordsman and DK= brawler), but DK muscle >>>>Roy's. In order to kill him, Roy would need more strength behind the sword to effectively deliver a blow to DK. That is why DK would win. And how do you "effectively" space a pissed gorilla?
Tempered steel > animal skin.

Nova9000

Smash Lord
wow you didn't even look at the link did you?
@ bold part - fail, guess who made those. we're much more capable.

I tried but my job banned it so I didnt :ohwell:.

I'm just pointing out what we have done.

Understandable. But swordsmen don't promote extinction; thts all I was making clear.

Tempered steel > animal skin.
In most cases yes. But keeping in mind the variables in this MU and while it still holds true, the risk/reward factor is not in Roy's favor.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend

Our weapons gave us control over environments.

It won't, but you're missing the point, pragmatically any location roy hits will be gone. Period.

Razor-sharp, to resist cuts, you need some kind of armor to actually prevent this.

Come on, these are swords , they're extremely sharp. It's gonna pierce to bone with no problem whatsoever off what amounts to a jab.

He's not getting through roy's defensive game, because blocking = loss of hand, all you can possibly do is deflect, and that's both situational and easy to make a mistake on. Any attack will cause his hand to be split in two by his own momentum. That will kill him, not immediately though.

UncleSam

Smash Master
Have you held a sword? I'm guessing "no" that's okay, saiyans are too bad*** for swords (except for Trunks but he's "special").
anyway instead of brute strength, swordsmen employ different factors to get devastating effects.

examples said:
both seem pretty powerful, but take out the torso rotation from the punch and you have brute force which you guys are talking about. Monkeys don't work on this like humans do, so you just have a brutish hook.

taking the sword it's easy to get a lot of velocity out of little power since all you are doing is a hand movement making the tip of the blade travel much faster even though you are only moving the hilt a little.

It's bringing a sword to a fist fight, the guy with the sword will disarm his opponent... literally.

xepherthree

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4167-4976-4789
Due to the fact that Roy can move his wrist, so a hit to the blade won't snap his arm off, DK is essentially attacking this, instead of the sword:

With these on it

(the OHKO spikes, btw)
DK Impales his hand on the sword, and Roy still hasn't lost the sword.
And how do you effectively space a pissed gorilla?
Q:How do you space a train?
move out of the way
DK isn't the leader of the bunch brain wise

Rialdospaldacht

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if it'll affect anything, but wouldn't Roy need to go for an impale or something to kill DK? Then wouldn't the match go the same way as DK vs. Ivy?

And if Roy wins, shouldn't every swordsman beat DK?

UncleSam

Smash Master
Not sure if it'll affect anything, but wouldn't Roy need to go for an impale or something to kill DK? Then wouldn't the match go the same way as DK vs. Ivy?

And if Roy wins, shouldn't every swordsman beat DK?
it should be, but you know how much BS is in this thread right?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
No, he can win safely by lopping things off with jab-equivilents and wait for him to bleed out. Arms are a good target (especially considering he walks on all fours). Actually, on DK, the head is the easiest target generally, and it's by far the most critical.

But any strong strike pretty much guarantees death in pretty short order, and Roy can do them a lot more safely then DK can do any strike because any strike means sticking an important appendage into a place that would probably get it killed. Roy on the other hand, just needs to leave his legs uncommitted.

Yes, pretty much every swordsman beats DK. Roy and Marth especially, Ganondorf can't outspace him as well due to different training styles, but still more then enough to be effective. Link and Zelda's arrow

But honestly, from experience, pissed people are easy to space against, they have a stupid tendency to rush in and get massacred. To get inside somebody with superior range you gotta make them whiff something cause you rarely if ever have a safe move.

Think Melee captain falcon vs. marth.

Except DK isn't smart enough to do what falcon does in that MU. And Roy is the one with the mobility (DK is a lot faster, but he has more mass and commits a lot more, Roy can turn on a dime).

Actually, stick with Brawl falcon vs. marth, because it pretty much encapsulates the MU perfectly. Melee falcon shows how a fist-fighter could win, but the fist-fighter would need to be very well trained, and in an art that emphasizes spacing (kali is probably the best for this).

JOE!

Smash Hero
why does nobody mention that DK is more agile, while being bigger? (means he can cover more distance, quicker)

what's to stop him from quickly evading the sword, and striking Roy? He's not a lumbering ox, he is shown to be quite fast in just about every appearance, and able to turn pretty quickly to boot. I mean, he's an ape, but theyre smart enough to realize: Swinging thing at me = bad. Avoiding swinging thing = good.

also, wouldnt hitting the blade not be as tramatic an injury due to the fact it is loosley held by Roy, as you say, and that his arm would in no way hold still if being hit by DK? The force methinks wouldnt be as bad if the blade traveled away from him as he hit it...

then there comes the other hand

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
why does nobody mention that DK is more agile, while being bigger? (means he can cover more distance, quicker)

what's to stop him from quickly evading the sword, and striking Roy? He's not a lumbering ox, he is shown to be quite fast in just about every appearance, and able to turn pretty quickly to boot. I mean, he's an ape, but theyre smart enough to realize: Swinging thing at me = bad. Avoiding swinging thing = good.

also, wouldnt hitting the blade not be as tramatic an injury due to the fact it is loosley held by Roy, as you say, and that his arm would in no way hold still if being hit by DK? The force methinks wouldnt be as bad if the blade traveled away from him as he hit it...

then there comes the other hand
Faster =/= more evasive

DK has a lot more bulk, he requires more start time to get to high speed and changing direction takes longer.

As far as swinging at me = bad, the thing is, you need more preparation then that. There are only certain distance that it's POSSIBLE to avoid the swing, and he needs to know and be conscious of that at all times exactly where he's safe. He's also not getting inside without baiting a strike.

No, here's the thing you fail to realize, it's very easy for swordsmen to adjust their grip in minute ways, we do it all the time, that includes relaxing the wrist, which is an incredibly quick and easy motion. During a strike, the wrist is mostly relaxed anyway, because momentum is the bulk of the force (techniques center around this partially to prevent wrist damage).

If he's taking a strike (aka, letting Dk split his hand in two) he'll tighten the wrist because they'll be no real resistance.

As far as traveling away, it's got a razor edge, not gonna help.

Again, the problem with the other hand is range, properly spaced, roy can do multiple jabs before DK can even launch a punch.

As an extra note, DK isn't as fast on his hand legs as on all 4, but it takes him a lot longer to attack from all 4s.

Overall, roy has a ton of good options, and DK's options are all cleanly countered by Roy.

JOE!

Smash Hero
yes, but this is DK we're talking here.

hitting the blad ein any fashion would be like Roy trying to hold it as it is kicked by a horse...

sure it may give DK a major owie, but it could disarm Roy or break his wrist.

DK is gonna be hitting him with something he's never had to deal with strength-wise when it comes to blocking, even if DK would get hurt.

also, can Roy of all the swordsmen swing the greatsword multiple times before DK could punch?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
hitting the blad ein any fashion would be like Roy trying to hold it as it is kicked by a horse...

Hitting the flat of the blade if he holds it stiffly would...

Hitting the blade is gonna be equivilent to hitting the blade of a chainsaw with wood. Except worse, cause flesh yields better.

DK is gonna be hitting him with something he's never had to deal with strength-wise when it comes to blocking, even if DK would get hurt.
He can only block the flat.

also, can Roy of all the swordsmen swing the greatsword multiple times before DK could punch?
*sigh*

You seem to have a fundamentally wrong mental picture here, something I tried to correct by saying "jab", but evidential it didn't work, so let me lay it out.

You've got 3 basic classifications of blows (many fall in between), names are made up since there's no official (aka, everyone calls it something different, or refers to the individual blow and it's properties).

1. Jabs, these depend on being close enough to attack with essentially a wrist flick and minor movement, often done in conjunction with with an advance. Generally weak, but with a weapon their equivilents can do significant damage to unamored foes. They're also faster then reaction time.

2. Medium: requires more time and commitment, basically requires more momentum but does more damage, generally more range and is about at reaction time. Can do signifigant damage to armored foes.

3. Heavy: your killing strikes, requires full commitment from entire body and wind-up as well, significantly slower then reaction time, used as a punish if the opponent made a mistake generally.

Jabs will be multiples per punch, DK is already in range and he can't keep roy out because he lacks a way to safely control the space. Roy can therefore freely poke with them. He's unarmored, so a single hit to the most exposed area (the head) means death, this means that DK needs to sacrifice maneuverability for defense and stand on his hind legs (which he's really not smart enough to do in the first place).

DK can't do the same because Roy is too far, so moving close enough for a jab will get him hit during attack preparation (fencing concept).

Then comes the next problem, because of the spacing, Roy can do any of these strikes safely since DK will not be able to punish. And then there's the fact that Roy can make minor adjustments (in the wrist mostly but also arms) to account for dodging in the heavy strikes mid-strike.

Basically DK needs to precisely predict anything Roy does in order to do... well anything to him.

xepherthree

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4167-4976-4789

Ok
Relax the wrist
Relax the wrist
Relax the wrist
Not sure on the last one, but DK isn't a trained mercenary. If his hand gets a booboo, He's not gonna bear through it and use the other hand. DK generally doesn't get any resistance, so even that much is gonna send him into "crying". Roy then attacks

UncleSam

Smash Master
what a bad excuse "he's DK so he must be able too"
it doesn't work like that,
monkeys are much less developed then us.
you're tripping up.

hitting the blade in any fashion would be like Roy trying to hold it as it is kicked by a horse...
you are comparing hooves which are made out of much, much stronger materials then skin to, well, skin.
again you're tripping up.

when your wrist is relaxed it's not resisting pressure, Roy can flow with the blow to shrug it off without a problem.

... jesus, strength doesn't get you everywhere all the time.
stop huffing testosterone and understand that weapons were designed because melee combat with fists just wasn't effective enough. same applies here.

sword longer and sharper then arm.
if arm try to punch it get cut by sword.
I saying this with poor grammar so everybody can understand (even though most of you do anyway)

See how much one chromosome can make a difference?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend

sword longer and sharper then arm.
if arm try to punch it get cut by sword.
I saying this with poor grammar so everybody can understand (even though most of you do anyway)

See how much one chromosome can make a difference?
Also, look above, we're talking about movements that are essentially minor flicks of the wrist as opposed to punches.

Otherwise on point.

UncleSam

Smash Master

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I had showed this vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oldS0_UeoaQ

such a good explenation, just replace "Ninja", with "Roy"
cuz Roy is a swordsman, but not nearly as awesome enough to be a ninja.
Good, but I don't think people will get what I'm talking about in jabs from just that.

Look at fencing, attacking is all in the wrist, and the difference between blocking position and a strike is a simple 90 degree wrist flick. The power is from the snapping motion, it requires almost no commitment.

Needs both hands granted, and it's gonna be slower then an equivalent jab from a smaller weapon, but it works, and will go through dk's flesh easily.

Conceptually it's right, but I don't think it's enough explanation.

UncleSam

Smash Master
Good, but I don't think people will get what I'm talking about in jabs from just that.

Look at fencing, attacking is all in the wrist, and the difference between blocking position and a strike is a simple 90 degree wrist flick. The power is from the snapping motion, it requires almost no commitment.

Needs both hands granted, and it's gonna be slower then an equivalent jab from a smaller weapon, but it works, and will go through dk's flesh easily.

Conceptually it's right, but I don't think it's enough explanation.
I've understood the concept for the past few pages (if it's lasted this long)
why are we still talking?

EDIT: 19 MORE!

JOE!

Smash Hero
are you suggesting that Roy will fence with a greatsword?

anywho, @Sam:

i meant the force, not the hooves you goon :p

Even if the wrist is relaxed, could he even hold onto the sword from the shock if DK swung at it? Granted DK would get an owie, what would it mean for Roy's positioning/etc?

Nova9000

Smash Lord
Our weapons gave us control over environments.

It won't, but you're missing the point, pragmatically any location roy hits will be gone. Period.

Razor-sharp, to resist cuts, you need some kind of armor to actually prevent this.

Come on, these are swords , they're extremely sharp. It's gonna pierce to bone with no problem whatsoever off what amounts to a jab.

He's not getting through roy's defensive game, because blocking = loss of hand, all you can possibly do is deflect, and that's both situational and easy to make a mistake on. Any attack will cause his hand to be split in two by his own momentum. That will kill him, not immediately though.

1st point is understandable.

2nd point is understandable as well. However, who in their right mind would fight a gorilla with a sword? It's unheard of for a reason. Also, DK is bigger than an average human and his build is no different. He'll suffer some cuts no doubt, but if he toughens them out Roy is dead.
Roy also doesn't seem to have the muscle to slice DK's arm off. He'll take it but he won't be a vegetable.

Have you held a sword? I'm guessing "no" that's okay, saiyans are too bad*** for swords (except for Trunks but he's "special").
anyway instead of brute strength, swordsmen employ different factors to get devastating effects.

both seem pretty powerful, but take out the torso rotation from the punch and you have brute force which you guys are talking about. Monkeys don't work on this like humans do, so you just have a brutish hook.

taking the sword it's easy to get a lot of velocity out of little power since all you are doing is a hand movement making the tip of the blade travel much faster even though you are only moving the hilt a little.

It's bringing a sword to a fist fight, the guy with the sword will disarm his opponent... literally.
I haven't used a sword since 6th grade because I started liking crossbows. ;)
I also saw your first link and how false it is. Gorillas are one of the most intelligent creatures, 3rd to chimps and humans.
Thanks for elaborating how the force is transferred through the sword as well.
My problem is though DK's skeleton is bigger than a normal human, so would it have the same effect? And I could be wrong here, but a gorilla's arms are prety huge. Dk would be willing to take some slices if it meant grabbing his neck in the process.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrqchlx6Bxw&feature=related @ :34 (you may need to pause it)
It's a bad example (I just wanted to see Roy *****) but look at this:

Those arms are huge, while Roy's sword is:

Btw, I'm a Saiyan; monkeys rule anyway! Oozaru for TDB! lol...

Due to the fact that Roy can move his wrist, so a hit to the blade won't snap his arm off, DK is essentially attacking this, instead of the sword:

With these on it

(the OHKO spikes, btw)
DK Impales his hand on the sword, and Roy still hasn't lost the sword.
And how do you effectively space a pissed gorilla?
Q:How do you space a train?
move out of the way
DK isn't the leader of the bunch brain wise

Lol. That is the correct answer...
*takes foot out of his mouth*
But DK isn't attacking that. Hes attacking Roy who happens to have a sword.
I'm just pointing out DK will tough out those jabs if it means killing Roy.
Who needs brains to be a leader anyway? since 2000 any dummy can be president; Oozaru for our next president!

REL38

Smash Lord
For DK to swat the sword, DK would need to predict how and when Roy swings/jabs/slashes/purees the sword.

I don't see DK predicting very well.

Heck, intelligence could very well drive DK to rush Roy which is a bad thing.
Roy predicts and reacts to pretty much kill this tactic and DK.

Roy is more agile and skilled, along with a reliable weapon.
Roy has a greater chance of winning and avoiding/defending from DK

DK is more of a brute, but lacks agility and skill.
DK has less of a chance at winning and avoiding/defending against a sword.

@Nova
History doesn't really have many examples of medievil warriors against gorillas due to geography >_>
Poachers are probably the only people who've used "swords" against em'
But they really only used machetes.

JOE!

Smash Hero
poachers use guns and teamwork to take down gorillas most of the time, but machetes do usually get the final blow.

and DK is agile, at the least moreso than Roy

Top Bottom