• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tap jumping or X and Y jumping?

KoeBigS8

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3153-6012-6209
Just as the title says, which way of jumping do you think is most effective in competitive play? I'm starting to think that analog might be better because short hops might be easier, or is it solely a preference thing? Give me your opinions on this

Spirst

I turned tap jump off the moment I got the game and never looked back. I can SH just fine with the X/Y buttons and still retain the ability to quickly utilt and minimize jumping errors.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Most people turn tap jump off. However, at the end of the day, it is all preference.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I jump with A and attack with X to make floating as Peach more of a comfortable thing to do. Tap Jump is obviously turned off. The Y button I pretty much just ignore.

KingTeo

Smash Apprentice
Always prefered keeping my thumbs to their assigned jobs. Left makes me move, right does the things.

LayingSnow

Smash Cadet
Tap Jump is bad for me... I died so many times because I jumped even though I just wanted to Up Smash/Tilt. But it's really just the preference (Look at Brawl metagame. Many pros so many ways.)

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
Turning off tap jump was one of the first things I did when I got the game. Using X and Y lets me do quick and effective short jumps and I've grown accustomed to it very quickly so that I rely on X and Y to jump instead of my circle pad, which I feel is much better anyways.

D

Deleted member

Used to have no preference but always pressed the button to jump. I turned off tap jump when I played Roy in PM because it made it hard to do short hopped up tilts. I still keep it off even if I don't play any characters that really benefit from SH uairs.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
It is preference, but that's a lot of unnecessary difficulty performing attacks while jumping only with the Circle Pad. It was not that much of a big deal in Smash 64, but Melee and on, it's a huge hindrance for me.

Last edited:

awesumsauce1

Smash Rookie
It depends, I use tap jump when I'm trying to recover, but if I'm fighting I use X/Y

Yes, I know I'm weird.

Starman15

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RobotTurtle5000
3DS FC
3136-7638-2428
Switch FC
SW-2901-3121-3539
When I first started playing Smash Bros., I remember exclusively using X to jump. In recent years I used X and tap jump about 50/50. But after Smash 3DS, I immediately went back to using X to jump, I figured it would probably be better for more competitive play.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I've been Tap Jumping ever since I started playing 64 up until Brawl.

Thanks to Smash 3DS, I've managed to adjust to buttons for jumping and I'm glad I did. Tilts are something I actually use now. :-)

I won't lie though, it took me a while to get used to it.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Tap jumping has always had to go for me.

Tilts+
Keeping double jumps when trying to Uair or prep one+

I hear 3DS swivels can take less of a beating from the posts I've seen complaining about them breaking :[ so that's one more reason to make the switch to taps.

It also feels like home to slide a thumb from one button to the next to preform S/H aerials and the like. Especially if you want to slam down on the control stick to follow up these moves with a fast fall, which happens frequently. In this scenario it's just a lot less of a directional action requirement, which feels like more control.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I always have used tap jumping... I really should learn to stop that. When I'm in smash run and in a secret door I stop so I don't accidentally go in the door before collecting all my stuff.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Tilt jumping for casuals isnt a problem but if you are even attempting to get competitive, you need to turn it off. Why? Tilt attacks. With the tilt jump on literally every time you try to do an UpAir you will waste your second jump, and a lot of the times you try to upsmash you might jump accidentally.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Preference, but for reference, GCN X jumper (A with 3ds) with tap jump on. FYI you don't need tap jump off to do tilts. Just don't move the stick all the way up/left/right/down. Learn to do clean inputs, as it will come a long way. I understand if you started during Brawl you had the luxury of tap jump off, but many veterans to 64 and melee I know keep tap jump on since we are used to it.

I do want to say it again so you don't stress out too much on your control scheme, it doesn't matter as long as you are comfortable and can do the things you want to do without much or any mistakes. There are good players in LeagueOfLegends who do not use smart casting and good MvC/SF players who play with a controller and not a fight stick. Follow your dreams!

Last edited:

Comorant

Smash Cadet
Tap Jumping has never given me any problems with tilts.

It has ruined hundreds of short hops however.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
I've been tap jumping every since Smash 64. However, within the last couple of weeks, I've been training myself non-stop to get accustomed with X and Y jumping, mainly because I recently discovered what tilts are and how to use them effectively. It took some getting use to but eventually my mind and fingers were able to process that you press buttons now to jump instead of flicking the circle pad up. Because of this, I've become a much more effective Smash Bros. player and I can actually hold my own against certain players in the For Glory lobby. I'm actually surprised how much of a difference it made it my play style. Of course, it all comes down to each individuals personal preference and I completely understand why many would still want to use tap jumping.

Wyverian

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5472-6896-8093
Soon as i got the game, i turned TAP Jump off. It was annoying in the demo, but the funny thing is, since smash 64 all the way to brawl i would use Tap Jump, now i cant stand it. I use Y to jump, and X to Shield.

CharZane

Smash Apprentice
Off. I literally could not even play the demo after discovering tap jump was permanently on in it, and I curse tap jump for my being unable to master melee Marth (I could never freaking uptilt in any hurry) despite even managing to wavedash... On Brawl Metaknight I'd sometimes have it on for Uair auto-comboing or such, but it's otherwise only ever been a nuisance to me...

Also, I had to redo my control setup to feel more 'gamecube'-- Right is jump, Down is standard, and Left is special... with me ignoring Up... I honestly can't for the life of me care to remember which button's which, letter-wise, given their mixing them up, so I just treat them like C-buttons.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Preference. I can't stand tap jump because I lack the fine motor skills to use tilts without leaping to the sky.

That said, I know some Project M stuff has mentioned that certain techniques may be easier or harder with certain button setups. But to my knowledge, we've not discovered such techniques yet in Smash4, so that is irrelevant at the present.

pikafire

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2509-2906-9493
I kept tap-jump on, after learning to use it in the demo. I don't mind it at all, and honestly I'm not good enough to worry about if I'm messing up "tilts" or whatever. I mostly just play, don't think too much about it.

Tacticulbacon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tacticulbacon
Just as the title says, which way of jumping do you think is most effective in competitive play? I'm starting to think that analog might be better because short hops might be easier, or is it solely a preference thing? Give me your opinions on this
Turning tap jump off makes utilts so much easier to pull off. I didn't know how I was able to play with tap jump on in previous games.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
I've always been using the tap jumping and never struggled with it. What ?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I set X to special, B to jump, and A to attack.

I just find it more comfortable to have jump between attack and special, makes it easier to do either quickly after a jump.

Tap jump is horrible and goes against everything I know in a platforming environment.

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Never tap jumped on purpose in my life. I was so bad during the Melee era that I never knew utilts existed because I was too afraid to press up. I was a small child at the time though. Once I learned how to slightly tilt up consistently for tilts and uairs without burning double jump, I got exponentially better.

In short, **** tap jump. Button jump forever.

TheLetsPlayGhost

Smash Rookie
I've personally never liked the tilt jump. From time to time I would accidentally jump when tilting up. I was glad the option to turn it off was in this game, as it suits my play-style.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I actually put jump on the b-button. It's just more comfortable imho.
B-button bros!

Yeah, I prefer button-jumping over stick-jumping. I think it's more of a depends-on-the-game sort of deal. If I was playing the King of Fighters, then I'd probably use stick-jumping, but for SSB, I'd use button-jumping.

Last edited:

Addonexus

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1719-4322-5753
I've tried to turn off tap jump and it did improve my short hopped f-airs with Lucina, but it kills my ability to recover. I have no idea how to get rid of 50 hours of muscle memory of tap jumping to recover. I've tried to just use the X and Y buttons to jump, but I mess up my tilts and seem to aways jump higher than I wanted to. I think I need to try it again and just suck it up when I blow a recovery.

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
I've tried to turn off tap jump and it did improve my short hopped f-airs with Lucina, but it kills my ability to recover. I have no idea how to get rid of 50 hours of muscle memory of tap jumping to recover. I've tried to just use the X and Y buttons to jump, but I mess up my tilts and seem to aways jump higher than I wanted to. I think I need to try it again and just suck it up when I blow a recovery.
How does turning off tap jump help your sh-fairs? ...

Last edited:

Greengogg

Smash Rookie
I just recently switched to x and y jumping because it gives me a lot more control. It also makes up tilts way easier.

Addonexus

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1719-4322-5753
How does turning off tap jump help your sh-fairs? ...
With tap jump on, I'd put too much force on the stick and jump too high. With it off, I'd get perfect height by lightly tapping the button . It seemed to work out well.

Top Bottom