• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Tactical Deployment - Roy Q&A Thread

Kooby

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2020-0031-6506
Does his Counter have the base sweetspot like the rest of his attacks?

GenG

Smash Lord
According to this in-game tip:

If you aim up on the third hit and to the side on the fourth, the power of the fourth hit increases and it will be easier to hit with the full blade.
The fourth hit is bound to be more powerful if you go up for the third swipe. Is this true? How much powerful it is? I don't see any difference in % in training mode, so if this is true at all has to be related to knockback.

Eureka

Smash Ace
According to this in-game tip:

The fourth hit is bound to be more powerful if you go up for the third swipe. Is this true? How much powerful it is? I don't see any difference in % in training mode, so if this is true at all has to be related to knockback.
I have a feeling that tip was supposed to read "the power of the fourth hit increases as it will be easier to hit with the full blade". Like I said before, it does not directly increase the power of the fourth hit, as far as I know. But it does indirectly increase it by setting up for the sweetspot better than other variations.

Last edited:

migul

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0447-6664-6504
Does anyone here know that F-Smash power scaling is more gradual? At the tip it does 12%, 17% at the center of the blade (Approximately), and 20% at the hilt.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Does anyone here know that F-Smash power scaling is more gradual? At the tip it does 12%, 17% at the center of the blade (Approximately), and 20% at the hilt.
Pretty sure we do

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
What true combos does Roy have out of dthrow?
dthrow to jab is true on most characters starting 5-10% and can potentially lead into a regrab on fastfallers (fox). Do a dthrow, wait just a bit before jabbing (don't buffer) so you can regrab them again afterwards, this works on 0%. Not sure if it works/is guaranteed or not yet tho.

Fthrow to side b is a true combo at 0% but you gotta catch them before they tech. Fthrow to quick attack is also true at higher percents (think mid-high).

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
What true combos does Roy have out of dthrow?
D-Throw to Jab or U-Tilt at low %s. D-Throw to U-Air at mid to high %s (Still true combos even after you need to double jump). D-Throw to F-Air at high %s.

Also if they do not DI at all D-Throw to Up-B is an actual thing at high %s (at low %s it can't be DIed but it's not a true combo, at high %s it's easily DIed out of but it is a true combo).

If your opponent isn't air dodging and is just jumping away then D-Throw -> B-Air normally works (but isn't a true combo) and as an added bonus most probably he won't have a second jump and won't know it.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Sorry for the double post but this is actually completely unrelated to the first post:

How does diminishing returns work with DED?

I've never played Marth/Lucina so IDK how their's work. I understand the move hits multiple times but those hits aren't mandatory and they are also dynamic so I can't just assume it works like a multi-hit without any information.

Is it like every hit has it's own diminishing returns (which would mean that using the up finisher would keep my side finisher fresh and vice versa), or do the hits share the same diminishing returns just like a multi-hit? Or maybe it's something completely unique I have no idea about. I am really scratching my head on this.

Last edited:

micahclay

Smash Rookie
How do you approach projectile heavy characters? I'm really struggling with match-ups like DHD, Pikachu, Tink. Usually I get shield grabbed or hit by another projectile. Once I get in, I'm fine, but how do you approach without getting punished?

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
How do you approach projectile heavy characters? I'm really struggling with match-ups like DHD, Pikachu, Tink. Usually I get shield grabbed or hit by another projectile. Once I get in, I'm fine, but how do you approach without getting punished?
Slowly walk in while power shielding their projectiles. Don't get close enough to be grabbed, instead get to the range where you know you can punish a projectile if it's thrown but they can't punish you out of missed attacks. Once in that range just dance a bit around and watch your opponent until he makes a mistake then go in.

Normally when you get into that uncomfortable range unexperienced players will try to run away, regularly by jumping or rolling. Your opponent has to go through you so you should be able to punish him when he tries to run.

Poxnixles

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vitiel
3DS FC
3823-8576-9592
What's the general consensus on how to do well with the boy? I've just been winging it on For Glory with him.

micahclay

Smash Rookie
Slowly walk in while power shielding their projectiles. Don't get close enough to be grabbed, instead get to the range where you know you can punish a projectile if it's thrown but they can't punish you out of missed attacks. Once in that range just dance a bit around and watch your opponent until he makes a mistake then go in.

Normally when you get into that uncomfortable range unexperienced players will try to run away, regularly by jumping or rolling. Your opponent has to go through you so you should be able to punish him when he tries to run.
I guess it's mainly lag that's part of my problem. My internet connection isn't great, so I can't power shield easily. :/

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
I've been thinking of using Roy as a Sheik counterpick (since Sheik destroys Ganondorf).
Is he a (relatively) good pick against her?

BurstPanther

Smash Apprentice
What's the general consensus on how to do well with the boy? I've just been winging it on For Glory with him.
I'm not sure on the general consensus, but here's my 2 cents.

I use nair a lot, it's my main approaching tool, pretty much lagless of a short hop fast fall and covers front and back. Also covers the ledge if applicable. At low percents, you can string a few together. Then if i'm close, go the ol' down grab to up special. At kill percents, go for a read on a roll, or some short hop neutral Bs.

Phill-Bot

Smash Apprentice
I'm a major noob and could use some help simply timing Roy's forward B. I can never do it 100% of the time, so I'm wondering if there's some tips to be more consistent with it. Also I noticed you can do it fast or slow, how do I time each speed intentionally? And does lag affect the timing?

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I'm a major noob and could use some help simply timing Roy's forward B. I can never do it 100% of the time, so I'm wondering if there's some tips to be more consistent with it. Also I noticed you can do it fast or slow, how do I time each speed intentionally? And does lag affect the timing?
You have to get used to it. Hitlag (the lag you get from hitting your opponent or his shield) actually affect the timing of the Side-B which is probably what's throwing you off.

Practice doing it against nothing and also doing it against an opponent like they were different moves because in reality they are different timings.

As for what the specific timing is, most people just say "Execute the next input just as you're landing the current hit". I think this works pretty well, but I myself input it a bit before it actually hits and it mostly works too.

Phill-Bot

Smash Apprentice
When should I be using nair vs fair when approaching? When should I use one over the other in general? Nair seems more reliable in most cases because of less landing lag, but I want to say fair has more range and priority?

micahclay

Smash Rookie
When should I be using nair vs fair when approaching? When should I use one over the other in general? Nair seems more reliable in most cases because of less landing lag, but I want to say fair has more range and priority?
I feel like Nair is more safe. I use Nair when approaching the majority of the time, although I use Fair vs some projectiles. I usually wall with Fair offstage.

Sonnance

Smash Rookie
Dunno if you guys found this yet, but I think his up smash might be a meteor

https://youtu.be/0eWvxzbzCsI
So, I was practicing with Roy in training mode, and the same thing happened to me too. I was by the edge, while the cpu was on it, and it jumped up as I did an upsmash to cover its getup. It seemed to hit near the very beginning of the attack, and meteored the cpu straight to the ground. I haven't quite figured out the specifics of how to do it, but that setup seemed to work the easiest on my later attempts. It does seem like it's an actual meteor, but like I said, I'm still not too sure how to pull it off.

After some searching around, I found that Roy's upsmash meteored in Melee as well. Apparently you had to hit with the tip of the sword and at the very beginning of the attack, so that may be the case here as well. But it seemed, both from my experience, and from your video, that it can meteor when they're slightly beside the sword, especially seeing as how you ko'd him with it.

I wonder if maybe this is an effect meant to pull them into the attack at first, but that if you only hit with the first part, they don't stop and are instead just meteored? Either way, it seems worth looking into. Does anyone have any more information on this?

Edit: Posted a video of it in training mode at 1/4 speed, if that helps. Be warned, I use only the most discounted of potato cams, apparently.

https://youtu.be/Msnp4rOJc_8

Last edited:

ElectricBlade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haruhisuzumia
3DS FC
1203-9228-7596
Hello! Not sure if this is the right place to ask but what stages are good and bad for Roy? Is there any stages I should be avoiding?

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
Hopefully I'm actually able to help a bit with what I'm about to ask, so I'm not just hopping on the backs of people who answer.

I'm trying to make a summary for a match-up, specifically Roy versus Charizard. The match-up itself isn't really important for this, though: Could someone help me with a general summary of Roy?
In every summary, there'll hopefully be a general overview of the character, their strengths, how they play, broad information like that. First would be their strengths, then their weaknesses. I'll try and give an example of the format with an already made summary.

Who is This?

Charizard, as many of you reading this may know, is a fairly heavy character. An adaptable character, with decent, ranged spacing options on the ground and air alike, ways to shake his enemy off him if he gets overwhelmed, and the mobility/aerials to become more aggressive once he's gotten a hold over the stage... He's a punisher: Add his three jumps, above average recovery with Flare Blitz and Fly, ability to gimp with the standard Flamethrower, and variety of specials to change up his strategy? While not exactly the best character, in the right hands, he can be deadly.

However, Charizard often has trouble with other defensive characters, or ones that can simply rush his defenses down. His shield and good grab range can help to mitigate this, but in some cases, his attacks can just be too slow to respond based on reaction alone. It doesn't help that some of his options can be fairly obvious, such as Flare Blitz, a falling Rock Smash... If you can find out what Charizard is doing to punish you, without him adapting, you've almost already won the game.
Just reply to my profile, okay? Don't want this to swamp out questions other people have.

ConsummateK

Smash Cadet
How should I be using Roy's sideb? From what I can tell it comes out pretty fast, so if you're getting caught trying to land fsmashes or something you can use to change up the timing but otherwise I'm not really sure what I should be doing with it.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
How should I be using Roy's sideb? From what I can tell it comes out pretty fast, so if you're getting caught trying to land fsmashes or something you can use to change up the timing but otherwise I'm not really sure what I should be doing with it.
Use it after fthrow on low percents, it's one of Roy's few true combos.

Other than that, idk really, if you can use it and don't think there's a better option then go for it lol. I don't exactly use it that much.

Dumpabump

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5258-0829-4421
Not a Roy main, but I enjoy using him every once in a while.

I was messing around with him in Classic mode. While using his Up-B, my finger slipped and hit right. He went almost fully horizontal to the right with little vertical height. Is that a thing? I had never seen it before. It's almost the exact same as Lucina/Marth's custom Up-B. Just curious about that

Last edited:

ConsummateK

Smash Cadet
Use it after fthrow on low percents, it's one of Roy's few true combos.

Other than that, idk really, if you can use it and don't think there's a better option then go for it lol. I don't exactly use it that much.
Thanks! Well I'm asking because I'm god awful hah so if it just isn't really viable then that's good to know. When you say low percents in that like 0-30?

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Thanks! Well I'm asking because I'm god awful hah so if it just isn't really viable then that's good to know. When you say low percents in that like 0-30?
Yeah pretty much, might not work at 30% on some characters tho

Not a Roy main, but I enjoy using him every once in a while.

I was messing around with him in Classic mode. While using his Up-B, my finger slipped and hit right. He went almost fully horizontal to the right with little vertical height. Is that a thing? I had never seen it before. It's almost the exact same as Lucina/Marth's custom Up-B. Just curious about that
You can angle Roy's up b to either go mostly horizontally or vertically, unlike Marcina's up b.

Last edited:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Are there an moves Roy can jab lock with? If so, at what percents?
Sourspot bair at like 30-40% ? around that percent, but not at high percents. Never tried it, but only heard about it.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Has there been any use for non tipper hits?
Only direct use I know is sourspot uair to up B at kill percents (100%+), which is a true combo

Other than that, they're free damage so I guess that's use enough lol. I use them to edgeguard but often not intentionally as I just plan on throwing a hitbox to prevent them from recovering.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
2 questions:

1. Would you say Roy has better frame data than Marcina does?
2. What combos can he pull off? Are they complicated?

Didn't buy Roy since I did not have enough eshop credits and was more interested in the other two DLC characters than him, but I may go to an event later today and I'm gonna play him or the first time in friendlies to see if I wanna buy him or not, and I wanna know some good pointers before I start playing my friends. Poor Frame Data, Limited combos, and Bad Kill moves (exlcusive to Lucina) are why I couldn't get into Marcina; and while I know he isn't a straight upgrade Roy doesn't seem to suffer these issues and a LOT of people I know have been saying good things about him so I'm tempted to give him a go-round. My only real gripe with the character is that I'm getting reaaaaal tired of seeing him on For Glory though, the dude's literally everywhere and he's by far the most common DLC character in my experience. But then again, For Glory is awful, and I dunno why I continue to play it in the first place :ohwell:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Hey guys im wondering if roy is a good pick against fox players that camp or just in general play fox
I'd say yes. Fox is a fastfaller so a lot of Roy's combos work on him very nicely. He's also really light so any strong hit can kill.

Top Bottom