• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Tactical Deployment - Roy Q&A Thread

MoveslikeQuagger

Smash Rookie
That's really strange, I would've thought Flare Blade would have had much more endlag than DED. Also, wavebounce counter? Wut? Does counter not stop your aerial momentum anyway?

Eureka

Smash Ace
That's really strange, I would've thought Flare Blade would have had much more endlag than DED. Also, wavebounce counter? Wut? Does counter not stop your aerial momentum anyway?
Yeah it's really deceptive, but it's something cool about Flare Blade. Dancing Blade's end lag was increased a lot in smash 4, and DED being a clone of that move is also rather laggy. Hilariously enough, Flare Blade's end lag doesn't increase as you charge it, even at full charge and setting yourself on fire with the recoil, you can still recover very quickly. And yeah wave bounce counter probably doesn't work, but I'll pretend I knew that and say it's part of the mind game :).
How do I use Double-Edge Dance properly? Sometimes I manage to get the hits to link seemlessly, other times it just stops after the first or second hit. Is it just about developing a consistent rhythm to press B? When should I be pressing B again to link the hits optimally?
You're probably pressing b a bit too early, remember the move has to get to a certain point in It's animation before it can transition to the next strike. My guideline is wait until the attack hits or would have hit until you input the next attack for DED. At higher percentages you may need to wait more in between each strike in order for it to connect or opt for a different variation then you planned depending how they fly. You'll often be barely connecting with the last hit at higher percentages, which is great for Marth but sucks for Roy.

Last edited:

ilikcereal101

Smash Cadet
I've found that rar (reverse aerial rush) into a short hop fast-fall up air is a good combo starter it is much easier to hit the falling up air if you fast fall and reverse it. It can lead into up-tilt up air up smash and many other moves.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I know rising fair into Dobule Edge Dance or Blazer works, and you get a ton of options off of a falling up air. I believe you can also combo off of jab and nair at the right percentages, but I'm not certain on the specifics.
Falling up air at mid percents should be able to link to another up air at mid-low percents. Weight dependent.

Also, got a question for evereyone. How much stun does up throw have? Are opponents able to act after an up throw before I up air? I'm asking because I want to see how viable is up throw/up air/down throw on fast fallers and heavies.

Eureka

Smash Ace
Falling up air at mid percents should be able to link to another up air at mid-low percents. Weight dependent.

Also, got a question for evereyone. How much stun does up throw have? Are opponents able to act after an up throw before I up air? I'm asking because I want to see how viable is up throw/up air/down throw on fast fallers and heavies.
As far as I can tell, up throw has very little use as a combo throw, only as a kill throw at very high percents. Honestly Roy already has really good combos off of forward throw and down through, so even if you could combo off of up throw I don't know if you would want to. So now up throw up air is not a combo of any sort.

Last edited:

whoknowswhat

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1864-9884-2286
Is it actually worse to use dthrow -> utilt against anyone with a sex kick at 0 percents considering utilts end lag leaves you vulnerable? What are better throw options?

Eonn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SirEon
How do you get the most grab range with Roy? DA cancelled or roll cancelled? His normal range seems awful, I can't shield grab anything.

mdoepker

Smash Cadet
NNID
mdoepker
Hey there! So I'm fairly new to smashboards and I was curious if there's a place where all the combos for X characters goes? In this case I'm obviously looking to get better with Roy, but I don't know where/if there is a place with condensed information about a character. Overall I'm just not sure about how to navigate the forum. Even a basic thread regarding that would be awesome.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

HFlash

Future Physician and Sm4sher
NNID
HFlash
So as a big time marth main from brawl I find myself instinctively playing roy similarly to marth which is essentially walling out the opponent with fairs and punishing any laggy move off shield with Up B and dancing blade. Considering roy has considerably less range than brawl marth, is this still viable? What is the best approach for roy, and how safe is DB?

BurstPanther

Smash Apprentice
Hi all, not sure where to put this, but I was messing around with Roy and during my play I've discovered something that may be useful.
The timing is tight but with practice you could do it reliably. Sorry I don't have video also typing on phone, be kind :)

If you say jump forward, release the stick, hit B to begin flare blade I believe it's called, then immediately input the opposite direction on the stick. You will return the other way charging/performing flare blade.

Has anyone else performed this?

TheGuyThatSD

Smash Rookie
Is Roy ban worthy?
His KO percentages are crazy broken
Neutral Special has almost no ending lag
Majority of his moves are fast and have no ending lag.

Eonn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SirEon
Hi all, not sure where to put this, but I was messing around with Roy and during my play I've discovered something that may be useful.
The timing is tight but with practice you could do it reliably. Sorry I don't have video also typing on phone, be kind :)

If you say jump forward, release the stick, hit B to begin flare blade I believe it's called, then immediately input the opposite direction on the stick. You will return the other way charging/performing flare blade.

Has anyone else performed this?
That's called b-reversing, every character can do it in every Smash game :p

On a related note though, wave bouncing with flair blade can be quite effective when playing against opponents/characters who rely quite a bit on aerials.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Is Roy ban worthy?
His KO percentages are crazy broken
Neutral Special has almost no ending lag
Majority of his moves are fast and have no ending lag.
only time will tell, but considering how unsafe he is on shield I doubt it
So as a big time marth main from brawl I find myself instinctively playing roy similarly to marth which is essentially walling out the opponent with fairs and punishing any laggy move off shield with Up B and dancing blade. Considering roy has considerably less range than brawl marth, is this still viable? What is the best approach for roy, and how safe is DB?
DB - depends on the variant, but as a rule for roy, never safe on shield
Fairs for walling - decent option so long as you use the IASA fames as tippers will force techs at around 20-30%. (an your opponent isn't shulk or something with lots of range)
Blazer punishes are a thing, but aren't as safe as marth's if you wiff
Hey there! So I'm fairly new to smashboards and I was curious if there's a place where all the combos for X characters goes? In this case I'm obviously looking to get better with Roy, but I don't know where/if there is a place with condensed information about a character. Overall I'm just not sure about how to navigate the forum. Even a basic thread regarding that would be awesome.

Thanks for any help in advance!
here is a link to someone's thread on true combos
try to avoid double posting in the future

BurstPanther

Smash Apprentice
That's called b-reversing, every character can do it in every Smash game :p

On a related note though, wave bouncing with flair blade can be quite effective when playing against opponents/characters who rely quite a bit on aerials.
I've been playing smash for quite some time and never ever done it before haha, my b.

Going to test it out tonight now with other characters

HFlash

NNID
HFlash
only time will tell, but considering how unsafe he is on shield I doubt it

DB - depends on the variant, but as a rule for roy, never safe on shield
Fairs for walling - decent option so long as you use the IASA fames as tippers will force techs at around 20-30%. (an your opponent isn't shulk or something with lots of range)
Blazer punishes are a thing, but aren't as safe as marth's if you wiff

So what IS safe for Roy if anything?

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
So what IS safe for Roy if anything?
most of it is really unsafe on shield, but you can mix up aerial approaches with empty jumps, nair and fair iasa options
once again only time will tell

HFlash

NNID
HFlash
most of it is really unsafe on shield, but you can mix up aerial approaches with empty jumps, nair and fair iasa options
once again only time will tell
I have been finding nair, dtilt, jab, and retreating fair as his best/safest options in the neutral game (maybe DB 2). What are other options I am overlooking if anything?

EDIT: Also, what are the best stages for Roy? I find getting kills off the side just as much as from the top, so I am guessing platforms are our friends? (unless your opponent benefits from it more).

Last edited:

Eureka

Smash Ace
Is it actually worse to use dthrow -> utilt against anyone with a sex kick at 0 percents considering utilts end lag leaves you vulnerable? What are better throw options?
Yeah down throw to up tilt is not always a good option at zero percent and you can get punished for going for it or even get it dodged. At very low percent I actually like combing off of forward throw. Forward throw to DED and forward throw to nair both work at low percent, or even dash attack if they DI poorly or miss their tech. The nair fallow up can be pretty tricky and I don't believe it works at zero percent, so I'd go for DED instead at zero. As previously mentioned this thread details a lot of combos Roy can do, including those off of throws.
Also, what are the best stages for Roy? I find getting kills off the side just as much as from the top, so I am guessing platforms are our friends? (unless your opponent benefits from it more).
Roy can KO you in just about any direction he wants. However, most of the super early kills come of the side from things like sweetspotted side smash so that should be considered. I agree with you that platforms could be amazing for Roy because his up air can cover them so well and keep people in the air.

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
In my experience most of Roy's things are unsafe on shield, so I find whiffing right in front of their face to be safer while still applying good pressure.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
alright thanks, and that was the worst/funniest joke i've seen on here in a while.
it only would have been better if ken was an alt for ryu so I could have used his face, but ya I've never seen fair, dair true combo.
It is however, deadly, roy's dair is enough to kill off the stage at about 30% on a lot of characters if he catches a jump.
possibly outright kill at like 50% and the sweet spot isn't tiny like melee either

TLDR - it's a really strong dair, on a character with subpar recovery :4ganondorf:

Last edited:

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
So how fast is Roy in comparison to the rest of the cast? It seems like he might be faster than average speed which is a buff from his average movement speed in melee but Roy seems faster than Marth in this version of smash when it was the other way around in melee.

Another question is, what weight class is Roy, average or higher up? He doesn't feel like a light weight to me. He feels as heavy as Ike to me but this is just a guess on my part. I'm just looking for straight up facts which I'm suprised about because I been looking everywhere on the Roy boards here and there are no confirmed facts. Come on Roys, get on it!

Eureka

Smash Ace
So how fast is Roy in comparison to the rest of the cast? It seems like he might be faster than average speed which is a buff from his average movement speed in melee but Roy seems faster than Marth in this version of smash when it was the other way around in melee.

Another question is, what weight class is Roy, average or higher up? He doesn't feel like a light weight to me. He feels as heavy as Ike to me but this is just a guess on my part. I'm just looking for straight up facts which I'm suprised about because I been looking everywhere on the Roy boards here and there are no confirmed facts. Come on Roys, get on it!
Roy is definitely faster both in the air and on the ground than Marth is, and his fall speed is very high. According to the ssbwiki, Roy has a weight of 95, which would make him the same weight as Robin, Sonic, and Pac-Man, and heavier than Marth who sits at a weight of 90. He's nowhere near as heavy as Ike though, who has a weight of 107. I have a question of my own, which version of Roy is less of a clone? Project M Roy or Smash 4 Roy?

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Roy is definitely faster both in the air and on the ground than Marth is, and his fall speed is very high. According to the ssbwiki, Roy has a weight of 95, which would make him the same weight as Robin, Sonic, and Pac-Man, and heavier than Marth who sits at a weight of 90. He's nowhere near as heavy as Ike though, who has a weight of 107. I have a question of my own, which version of Roy is less of a clone? Project M Roy or Smash 4 Roy?
Its hard to say. I would say they both are equal. Project M Roy has as many differences as Smash 4 Roy.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
As far as I can tell, up throw has very little use as a combo throw, only as a kill throw at very high percents. Honestly Roy already has really good combos off of forward throw and down through, so even if you could combo off of up throw I don't know if you would want to. So now up throw up air is not a combo of any sort.
Well, up throw offers more height than down throw. Considering fast fallers fall like a rock at low percents, do you think down throw to jab to regrab would suffice? or down tilt to replace jab?

Eureka

Smash Ace
Well, up throw offers more height than down throw. Considering fast fallers fall like a rock at low percents, do you think down throw to jab to regrab would suffice? or down tilt to replace jab?
Up throw just has too much end lag, even against characters like Greninja and Fox it just takes too much time for Roy to recover to get a follow up. But down throw does lead in to jab or down tilt at very low percents, and forward throw to Double Edge Dance still works just as well.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Up throw just has too much end lag, even against characters like Greninja and Fox it just takes too much time for Roy to recover to get a follow up. But down throw does lead in to jab or down tilt at very low percents, and forward throw to Double Edge Dance still works just as well.
Thank you!!!! Will try.

Ugh the 3ds controls are wacky.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Anyone here has uses for DED from Down throw mix ups on fast fallers? Also how to break habbits with DED cause in melee DED was one of Roy's best tools and PM it got buffed but here since I play Roy in those games and Marcina I tend to do DB/DED too much and it gets me bopped especially with Roy especially when I whiff it trying to kill a roll or misjudge the range on it against a move trying to beat it?

Jrzfine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jrzfinest
3DS FC
1762-3319-6557
How do I use Double-Edge Dance properly? Sometimes I manage to get the hits to link seemlessly, other times it just stops after the first or second hit. Is it just about developing a consistent rhythm to press B? When should I be pressing B again to link the hits optimally?
It's all about the rhythm. If it helps, use Roy's yelps to help keep a steady pace of button presses.

Sonnance

Smash Rookie
I have a question about a tip I saw in the 3DS version. I can't find it online, but it was about Roy's Double-Edge Dance and said something to the effect of that inputting up for the third hit, then forward for the fourth would not only set up better for the sweetspot, but also make the fourth hit stronger. Can anyone confirm this?

I saw it twice, so I'm pretty sure I didn't misread it, but when I tried it in training mode I didn't notice it doing any more % or killing any earlier.

Maybe I just misunderstood the tip, but if anyone could clear this up for me, I'd appreciate it.

Eureka

Smash Ace
I have a question about a tip I saw in the 3DS version. I can't find it online, but it was about Roy's Double-Edge Dance and said something to the effect of that inputting up for the third hit, then forward for the fourth would not only set up better for the sweetspot, but also make the fourth hit stronger. Can anyone confirm this?

I saw it twice, so I'm pretty sure I didn't misread it, but when I tried it in training mode I didn't notice it doing any more % or killing any earlier.

Maybe I just misunderstood the tip, but if anyone could clear this up for me, I'd appreciate it.
It does not directly increase the damage of the last strike of Double Edge Dance. However, the third hit's up variation can set up the sweatspot better, which indirectly makes it do more damage compared to other variations which don't set up the sweatspot. The effect might not be obvious at low percents, but it becomes more evident at higher ones.

Sonnance

Smash Rookie
It does not directly increase the damage of the last strike of Double Edge Dance. However, the third hit's up variation can set up the sweatspot better, which indirectly makes it do more damage compared to other variations which don't set up the sweatspot. The effect might not be obvious at low percents, but it becomes more evident at higher ones.
Oh, ok. Guess I just misunderstood it then. Thanks!

Top Bottom