• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Swiss Twist: Just Smash 3 - Sat Feb 24 - Clovis, CA

MrWillof469

Smash Cadet

Saturday, February 24, 2007
Level One Gaming
Clovis, CA
Start time: 1:00pm
(doubles at 1, singles follows)

From the ashes of a failed experimental format comes a new twist on Swiss. This next singles tournament will be built on the solid foundation of the traditional Swiss tournament system, with a twist thrown in at the end. Unlike the heavily flawed staggered system from Just Smash II, this twist does NOT alter the traditional Swiss section in any way. Rather than create the environment for what amounts to an inherent, rule-forced screwjob, the twist increases the opportunity for all entrants to emerge the winner (while making sure 2nd place on down are properly determined as well).

This time around we're moving to Level One Gaming, which means on-site food for purchase, plenty of TV's already there (welcome to bring more of course), and an overall improved gaming environment over Nickel Arcade. Bring those Cubes, the more the better.

Level One membership is NOT required.
Venue entry fee is $2.00. Spectators must pay the entry fee as well.

Global rules

MLG rules apply throughout this tournament, except when a rule defined in this thread conflicts with MLG (in which case our rule prevails :p).
The main ones to keep in mind:
Bring YOUR OWN controller, no turbo/modified
All games are 4 stock/8 mins in all tournament sections
No items
Random/banned stage lists as defined in the most current MLG rules (team stages are in effect for doubles and Wild Card Rumble matches with more than 2 players) (printed stage lists will be available for reference)
STAGE SELECTION: No stage may be used more than once in any match, INCLUDING by random selection (does not apply to Wild Card Rumble)

Payout: 100% of entry fees returned in 60/30/10 distribution. (1st/2nd/3rd)

Doubles

Entry: $20 per team

Doubles will NOT use Swiss this time. It will use a randomly-seeded, double-elimination bracket. All matches are best of 3 games until 4 teams remain, when they increase to best of 5.

Singles

Entry: $15

Swiss rounds

Players are pitted against each other randomly in the first round and then against opponents with the same or nearly the same record in each successive round. No two players will face each other in more than one round. Each round is best of 3 games. Reminder: No elimination in a Swiss tournament!

The number of rounds played is based on the number of entrants:
17-32: 5 rounds
33-64: 6 rounds
This uses the standard Swiss round formula 2^x, with x being the number of rounds necessary to make the formula result greater than or equal to the number of entrants. Unlike at Just Smash II, rounds will NOT be cut out. The necessary number WILL be played.

Swiss tie-breaker points are also used in determining ranking, based on the Difficulty of the Opposition principle.

Wild Card Rumble (The Twist)

A number of players will advance to the finals based on the number of Swiss rounds played:
5 rounds = top 4 finalists + 1 wild card
6 rounds = top 4 finalists + 2 wild cards

Every player not advancing as a top 4 finalist may compete in the Wild Card Rumble.

For the purpose of explaining the format, I'll use an example field of 24 players, which would have played 5 rounds and had 4 players move to the finals. This means all players ranked 5-24 will compete for the wild card slot.

The Wild Card Rumble is a series of 1-game, 4-player survival matches, loosely based on the stepladder format. The 4 bottom ranked players (21-24 in our example) play in the first match. After each Rumble match, players are docked penalty points as follows:

1st place: no points
2nd place: 1 point
3rd place: 2 points
4th place: 4 points

When a player reaches or exceeds 4 points, he/she is eliminated from the Rumble, and the next lowest ranked player enters the next match. If multiple players are eliminated in the same match, additional players enter the next match to make 4 players. This format continues up the ranking list until all non-finalists have entered. When the field dwindles to 3 players, the 4th place penalty is discarded, as is the 3rd penalty when down to 2. The last player standing moves into the finals as a wild card entry.

In the event we have more than 32 players and thus 2 wild card slots, players will be broken into odd and even rank divisions (ranks 5, 7, 9... in one, 6, 8, 10... in the other). The winner of each division will get a wild card slot.

Character/Stage selection rules for the Rumble
In each match, the player with the most penalty points picks his/her character first, and then the player with the next most penalty points, and so on.

The player with the most penalty points selects the stage to be used. Team stages are in use for matches involving more than 2 players. There are no restrictions on the number of times stages may be used in the Rumble. Players may not call for any resets of random stages, and players may not defer character selection per random stage selection (advanced slob picks).

When penalty points are tied, Swiss rank is used, with the lowest ranked player going first.

The outcome of the Rumble has no effect on the final tournament ranking of those players who do not advance in the finals, as 4-player melee matches are not taken into consideration in most regional rankings.

Stepladder Finals

The finalists compete in a standard stepladder format. This is similar to the Wild Card Rumble, except it involves only 2 players at a time in 1-on-1 matches, and there are no penalty points. The bottom two ranked players compete in the first match. The winner of that match moves on to play the next lowest ranked player, and so on, up to 1st place. Each match is best of 5 games, except the 1st place match, which is best of 7.

The Game II

Smash Champion
I should be able to make this.

btw, vids of the previous tourney will be up starting tomorrow (Tuesday) on FILEFRONT, not Get Your Tournament.

--GCII

Drex

Smash Apprentice
hey will if you want to do this the day i planned to have my smash tournament at level one thats cool, you can come run it.. would be great, shoot me an email at tehdrex@gmail.com

The Game II

Smash Champion
I'm having problems with the tape, which was apparently set to ep. The tracking on my vcr sux because the tape is not on lp, so a lot of the matches went haywire. They need to be encoded either by using a better vcr (mine is 4 years old), or the same vcr that was used at the tournament.

I have some of the matches, but not all of them, and they won't get put up until late late tonight.

--GCII

Drex

Smash Apprentice
I would just like to add that if you guys feel the need to bring TVs, by all means you are welcome, we have plenty of room to add more, at the moment we have 10 TVs at Level One... also if you have VCR's and/or capture cards bring those too... :)

shadowcloud

Smash Apprentice
alright it looks like ill be able to bring at least 3 more people right now, i dont know if we can bring any tv's but we could probably bring some extra cubes if needed

Mr. Ganondorf

Smash Journeyman
Sigh, I think I will begrudgingly attend this tournament. I say this because I will be forgoing an awesome trip to Japantown in San Francisco with my school's foreign exchange club for it. But yeah, smash is more important, lol. I'll bring a Wii with smash and a mem card, and I can bring a TV or three if need be too. I will need a doubles partner if I'm going so...Pest? Peach Ganon teams are pretty much rapesies. If not, Mr. P Body, if DSF's going, you're prly going and we've had some success in teams before lol, let's team again if you're going. Cya there guys, this should be a great tourney.

Drex

Smash Apprentice
Don't worry about TVs so much guys, but cubes/wii's for sure, if we need to find tvs we will get them from people in town ;)

MrWillof469

Smash Cadet
I almost dropped my TV down the stairs when I brought it home after JS2 (I live in a 3rd floor apartment :ohwell:). Thank God for Level One.

ThEpEsT

Smash Apprentice
LoL. Well Brandon, I really would... but Shane and I gotta do this, we've been at it for teams for quite some while and we can't stop now. Maybe after Shane goes off to college or he doesn't show up to one of these tournies, then we can team together, but for now.... yeah....

I can prolly bring a cube.

StarrMan

Smash Rookie
I've already pre-rege'd on lvl1's site, but I'll do it here just in case. 'Bout time there's a big tourney that I don't have to drive 4 hours to lol. Especially with that Pest guy. There's little wonder about his name... Which is why I'm teaming with him.

And Brandon, we need more Gannon dittos at this thing. I'm thinking some ice cream sandwich matches.

Which reminds me, will Lvl 1 be selling delectables to people who aren't members? They have a freezer and a fridge full of stuff, they'd probably sell a good deal.

MrWillof469

Smash Cadet
Which reminds me, will Lvl 1 be selling delectables to people who aren't members? They have a freezer and a fridge full of stuff, they'd probably sell a good deal.
My guess is they'll sell food to everyone. Drex could confirm this. I'm not even a member myself, and I tend to starve myself while running a tournament...

Drex

Smash Apprentice
okie dokie guys jsut to clear up some stuff... you do NOT have to be a member to buy food, drink, icecream, order pizza, etc from level one. everyone who comes in though, player or spectator will have to pay the 2$ venue fee to get a wrist band.

With that said, if you wish to eat or drink inside of level one, it will be required that you buy whatever you are consuming from us, if you want to eat outside ( we will have patio chairs provided ) you are welcome to eat right outside or door, but you will not be able to eat anything not purchased at level one inside level one.

We will constantly throughout the day call out orders for Dominos Pizza or Port of Subs (Sandwiches) all day long, and we have a fridge and freezer full of food, snacks and drinks.

Drex

Smash Apprentice
I will be teaming with HugS for this tourney, mexi aka BONK! will need a partner for the tourney... he plays samus/falcon/ganon and is a very good all around player with lots of mindgaming..

Mexi

Smash Apprentice
I will be teaming with HugS for this tourney, mexi aka BONK! will need a partner for the tourney... he plays samus/falcon/ganon and is a very good all around player with lots of mindgaming..
stop wit your lies drex,we all know i suck.I just like taunting.

Drex

Smash Apprentice
im not kidding, ill have hugs post here if you dont belive me chris

Mr. Ganondorf

Smash Journeyman
lol, Drex, you're such an idiot. Is this like when your Marth suddenly became pro? lol
Okay, so Shane, we need to do many Ganon dittos, be it for munnies or ice cream sandwiches, or just for kicks, tho I'm hoping to get food outta it lol. Oh and Pest, don't worry about teaming, I think I convinced Mr. P Body to go with DSF, hopefully, so I'll team with him again. GG guys, Mr. P Body + Mr. Ganondorf = First place in teams. Two Mr.'s, you can't top that.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Hey Will, is your dads name Tom? Or maybe an uncle? Just curious.

The swiss system which you seem so interested in is the predominate tournament format for chess. I also know of a local master named Tom Dorshe. Not sure if I spelled the last name correctly or not, but ya.

Just wondering if you guys are related.

Drex

Smash Apprentice
lol brandon you know all i do is talk trash to try to get some people out here...

Mr. Ganondorf

Smash Journeyman
Drex, you're too good. Teaming with HugS, lol. Anyway, I posted in the Levelone forums, but I guess it'd make more sense to ask here. Will there be a tournament for levelone sponsorship again? Or maybe if I just show up with my levelone shirt on I can get my entry fee paid? lol

Drex

Smash Apprentice
if you want to get sponsored into the tournament come this friday at like 5:30, it will be 3$ a person and we will most likely only do singles beacuse we will be closing early that day.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
OMG BTZO PICK ME

UR 2 SPOTS HIGHER ON TEH NORCAL POWER (this word should be in super-caps btw, which is like if you capitalize letters that are already capitalized to make them more AWESOME) RANKINGS THAN ME, IT WOULD BE TEH HONOR!!!!!!!1111115

I think if I go and Frotaz goes though we will probably do Luigi Yoshi again because it's fun as fuchs when we don't kill ourselves. So maybe, yeah.

Also I'd like to point out a rule that I think most people don't realize, and that is that stage bans take place AFTER you choose your characters for the first stage, not before. You don't have to make your ban until your opponent selects his character, and once you do, he can't switch to suit the bans. Additionally, you can't ban stages on random select.

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
OMG BTZO PICK ME

UR 2 SPOTS HIGHER ON TEH NORCAL POWER (this word should be in super-caps btw, which is like if you capitalize letters that are already capitalized to make them more AWESOME) RANKINGS THAN ME, IT WOULD BE TEH HONOR!!!!!!!1111115

I think if I go and Frotaz goes though we will probably do Luigi Yoshi again because it's fun as fuchs when we don't kill ourselves. So maybe, yeah.

Also I'd like to point out a rule that I think most people don't realize, and that is that stage bans take place AFTER you choose your characters for the first stage, not before. You don't have to make your ban until your opponent selects his character, and once you do, he can't switch to suit the bans. Additionally, you can't ban stages on random select.
Hahahaha roflmao XDXD and hey if you and Frotaz are going then bring foxroar so I can team with him ;D

shadowcloud

Smash Apprentice
if you want to get sponsored into the tournament come this friday at like 5:30, it will be 3$ a person and we will most likely only do singles beacuse we will be closing early that day.
I can't make it on friday but if you guys want to sponsor me ill wear my level one shirt :joyful:

MrWillof469

Smash Cadet
140 W Shaw Ave
Suite 106
Clovis, CA 93612

There's a link to the Level One site in the main thread, which also has the location, but the link text doesn't show up very well. Sorry for the confusion, Reaper.

Thinking about adding a crew battle to take place during the Wild Card Rumble to keep everyone occupied. Nothing major, probably the top 2 seeds acting as captains to pick two teams of 5 or 10. With the number of TV's available, this tournament should flow smoothly enough to squeeze all kinds of play in.

IF YOU HAVE A CUBE, BRING IT!

Drex

Smash Apprentice
we have 9 tv's at the current moment, anyone from the area is more than welcome to bring a tv.. but i do not suggest anyone else bringing their tv's unless its not a problem, we need CUBES though.. we have a wii and 2 cubes at level one, but only 1 (working) copy of smash.. so bring the wii's/cubes/etc.. bring your friends, this will be a great mix of players from norcal and socal and everything in between :o

Top Bottom