• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Swimming confirmed to return - Delfino Plaza back?

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Maybe swimming was just removed from Jungle Japes, and not in Tortimer Island... for some reason. Weird.

Wouldn't take this as a confirmation for Delfino Plaza though.

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
hopefully that text is just a carry over from brawl, and swimming stays removed.

xxEliteAlicexx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xxEliteAlicexx
I don't see what was the big deal about swimming being so terrible, if you played competitive then I don't see the complain of why would you even chose an unbalanced stage with water. Either way it wouldn't really matter to me.

Acadian Flycatcher

Smash Journeyman
Maybe it just wasn't implemented for the E3 demo. Because on Tortimer Island they all fell through the water like in Great Bay for Melee.

But for all the options for a retro Mario stage, I hope Delfino Plaza returns.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
I have nothing against swimming, it was better than seeing characters falling through water.
Swimming is a disruption of natural gameplay.
I'd rather the water simply splash upon entry and characters become lighter like in retro mario games.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
And normal hazards are not disruption of natural gameplay?
Aside from yellow devil or ps1's fire/rock transformation, what stage hazard stops gameplay so that your character can drown?

Super Writer

Smash Apprentice
Jeez those were some bad players... Anyways, I'm guessing either it got carried over or it's just not implemented in the 3DS version for some reason, like perhaps the swimming animations went over the data limit.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I'd rather it be gone, I never really liked it as a mechanic (as much as I like most other gimmicks and hazards). As for a retro Mario stage, either Peach's Castle or Mushroom Kingdom would be ideal. But that's largely because I didn't care that much for Mario Sunshine, and thus hold no affection for Delfino.

Toon Link already has a stage, we don't need the Pirate Ship back.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
May be in the Wii U version and not the 3DS for limitation reasons. We haven't really seen a Wii U stage with water in it yet, right? Just Jungle Japes and Tortimer Island, both for the 3DS.

And it doesn't necessarily mean anything in regards to Delfino or Pirate Ship coming back, since we could just end up having a new stage that does have swimming.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I never liked swimming but I did like Delfino Plaza. Hmm, quite a conflict...

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
May be in the Wii U version and not the 3DS for limitation reasons. We haven't really seen a Wii U stage with water in it yet, right? Just Jungle Japes and Tortimer Island, both for the 3DS.

And it doesn't necessarily mean anything in regards to Delfino or Pirate Ship coming back, since we could just end up having a new stage that does have swimming.
Yes, and don't forget the new paper Mario stage. No matter if swimming is returning or not I'm still OK with it.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Swimming needs to return and so does Pirate Ship, best Brawl stage.

xxEliteAlicexx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xxEliteAlicexx
Swimming needs to return and so does Pirate Ship, best Brawl stage.
I loved the Pirate Ship, but the stage itself was really disappointing because it looked NOTHING like Pirate Ship at all and I'm a huge WW fan. Hopefully they bring in the Fairy's temple from WWHD or the final place you fight Ganondorf with the water flowing down ect.

xxEliteAlicexx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xxEliteAlicexx

Holy wow I would love that. On the Wii U with the HD textures........ oh man oh man oh man.

Have there ever been any spoilerific stages in Smash?
Other than the Green Hill Zone from Brawl being leaked before Sakurai was to show us (which he still haven't), not really. =[ And I know right!!! Like, I need that or the Fairy's Temple because the Pirate Ship looks... no. It doesn't even look like how it did in WW and what bothers me is that everything else is on point but the ship itself.

Edit: Not saying it needs to look Exactly like the ship, but still, the design just bothered me.

Last edited:

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
The swimming mechanic was neat. I do like the suggestion @ Xermo Xermo put forth. But I don't think swimming was THAT much of a distraction. It was funny watching players trying to spike each other in the water.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

Holy wow I would love that. On the Wii U with the HD textures........ oh man oh man oh man.

Have there ever been any spoilerific stages in Smash?
The Reset Bomb Forest, spoiling KIU's big twist. Or the Palutena trailer, spoiling that Pit fought Palutena while she was under control of the Chaos Kin.

JCAndre

Smash Apprentice
I just want to put out that Mario in the 1st game SD'd like 5 times the same way and it hurt to watch.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Yeah swimming is confirmed but I too don't understand where he took that Delfino Plaza was confirmed too LOL

I've heard people say plenty of things about "limitations", but the 3DS not being able to handle swimming? :laugh:

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I'm fine with swimming being cut, but something needs to be done to the way in which characters interact with the water. Falling straight through water without so much as a splash, let alone a change in falling speed, makes it look unfinished and unintuitive. :ohwell:

As for Delphino Plaza... well, it's far from confirmed even if swimming is back, but I'd be happy if it did return. I loved Sunshine and I thought it made for a fun stage in Brawl. :)

Last edited:

Calibrate

Smash Apprentice
What the ****.

What are you, mainstream media? You read "swim time" and make a post with "swimming confirmed return" as a part of the title?

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
What the ****.

What are you, mainstream media? You read "swim time" and make a post with "swimming confirmed return" as a part of the title?
Well, what else would "swim time" mean?

But the title is misleading because it mentions that Delfino Plaza is returning =/ Which by far, its not... yet...

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Swimming is a disruption of natural gameplay.
I'd rather the water simply splash upon entry and characters become lighter like in retro mario games.
First, what the heck is natural gameplay.

Hazards on stages are part of the game. Adapt.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
First, what the heck is natural gameplay.

Hazards on stages are part of the game. Adapt.
Natural gameplay in smash is having the ability to be able to stay in constant motion with all of your options available to you.
Water (in brawl) isn't a hazard. It's a literal construct that forces the player to do nothing but become vulnerable to attack. What's there to adapt to? Staying away from the edges of pirate ship? Banning Delfino? Such an adaptation.

Top Bottom