• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Swimming confirmed to return - Delfino Plaza back?

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
Natural gameplay in smash is having the ability to be able to stay in constant motion with all of your options available to you.
Water (in brawl) isn't a hazard. It's a literal construct that forces the player to do nothing but become vulnerable to attack. What's there to adapt to? Staying away from the edges of pirate ship? Banning Delfino? Such an adaptation.
have you ever actually like

pressed any buttons while in-water

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
Oh no, I was really hoping for that swimming would stay out of smash 4. I hope this is a case of just counting the time underwater or a leftover from brawl and not a case of they just didn't implement swimming yet.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I don't particularly like swimming. I mean, it's saved me etc but it doesn't feel right in Smash imo

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
have you ever actually like

pressed any buttons while in-water
you mean, liek, the jump button? Because that's all there is to press.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Natural gameplay in smash is having the ability to be able to stay in constant motion with all of your options available to you.
Water (in brawl) isn't a hazard. It's a literal construct that forces the player to do nothing but become vulnerable to attack. What's there to adapt to? Staying away from the edges of pirate ship? Banning Delfino? Such an adaptation.
That's pretty much what the Water was meant to be..a massive hazard, but it balanced it out by allowing you to be able to get back a bit easier rather then just falling to your death.

It wasn't implemented that well in Brawl but that doesn't mean they couldn't fix it up a bit.

Pokefan203

Smash Apprentice
The Reset Bomb Forest, spoiling KIU's big twist. Or the Palutena trailer, spoiling that Pit fought Palutena while she was under control of the Chaos Kin.
Seriously, that chaos kin reference made me really angry when I got to the point in Uprising, which I just recently beat.

mikanbouya

Smash Apprentice
im assuming delfino plaza is coming back regardless if swimming is in or not (but "swim time" definitely suggests that it is, obviously)

Tenchi Boom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TenchiBoom
I really didn't think there were people that were that bothered about swimming. It's just something cool to see, the same with ladder climbing.

I wonder if they will actually redo the retro stages to make them look amazing, or just import and upscale them from Brawl?

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Seriously, that chaos kin reference made me really angry when I got to the point in Uprising, which I just recently beat.
To be fair, Kid Icarus Uprising has been out for 2 Years now..and its not like Super Smash Bros. hasn't spoiled storyline things before anyway.

Pokefan203

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, Kid Icarus Uprising has been out for 2 Years now..and its not like Super Smash Bros. hasn't spoiled storyline things before anyway.
2 years isn't much, though it isn't his fault I never played it until now. It made me angry, though not at sakurai, just in general.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Never really realized people hated Swimming that much.... So I'm assuming people also really hate Ladder Climbing?

Anyway, I'm fine with it coming back if it does. For some reason it doesn't really feel right falling the way they do in water in Melee but I guess that's just me.... :T

Toledo Jones

Smash Cadet
I wasn't aware swimming was so loathed o_O I hope it returns. I hated falling through water, it's just displeasing to watch as you fall through water & not come up to the surface.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
2 years isn't much, though it isn't his fault I never played it until now. It made me angry, though not at sakurai, just in general.
I know, I didn't mean to make it feel like it wasn't a valid annoyance, sorry if I did.
I was just saying that this is Smash Bros, there's always going to be spoilers for other games somewhere and that at least it wasn't a really brand-new game.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
i personally hope swimming doesn't return. it's more annoying than exciting. it's weird to fall through water but i'd rather just ignore it than the weirdness that it was in brawl. what i would prefer is what was brought up earlier in this thread (slightly slower movement).

it wouldn't be the biggest letdown if it returned, but i'll admit i did smile when it seemed that swimming would not be implemented.
anyway, i guess we'll know for certain one way or the other pretty soon~~

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Swimming is great! I don't understand why anyone wouldn't like the addition to return. Falling through deep water looks more stupid than actual floating in water. Plus, it's fun to play with the physics to get back into the fight.

Why not just remove water then? I say play on stages without water if you don't like it, but it deserves to stay for people who enjoy having it. Not all stages have pits, ring outs, etc... Stages are full of variety. I really don't play on vertical scrolling stages, but I still want them in just to have them. It's fun now and again.

Falling through water lmao :yoshi:

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I'd prefer swimming to return than have characters fall through it as though it's just air with a blue tinge.
That said, the best case scenario in my opinion is definitely that swimming is removed and the way that characters interact with water changes. It's a little offputting to see it as it was in the 3DS demo. :ohwell: I suppose I'd get used to it, though.

Pokefan203

Smash Apprentice
I know, I didn't mean to make it feel like it wasn't a valid annoyance, sorry if I did.
I was just saying that this is Smash Bros, there's always going to be spoilers for other games somewhere and that at least it wasn't a really brand-new game.
Of course, I mean Zelda's down b transforms her to sheik, and even the POTD shows samus in her clothing in the end of a lot of the metroid games.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Smash 4 was made from scratch, so it's impossible for it to have carried over.
Too bad how in the SSB4 Direct we could see Diddy Kong's Brawl Icon instead of his SSB4 one during the Little Mac segment. :|

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I don't see what was the big deal about swimming being so terrible, if you played competitive then I don't see the complain of why would you even chose an unbalanced stage with water. Either way it wouldn't really matter to me.
Because it leads to camping, stalling, and frequently annoying and boring sequences in battles. It's disruptive for no real reason.

As for competitive players, they would complain because stages like Delfino Plaza have water, and that stage is often legal in Brawl tournaments. However, the swimming aspect is a major reason why it's also frequently banned in Brawl (because of the camping it creates).

I mean seriously, who plays smash bros. to swim super slow in smash, or climb ladders in smash=???

Wanting to play Smash even partially for those mechanics just sounds plain stupid, especially when both lead to camping.

I don't know about you guys, but I want frequent camping to stay just in Brawl.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I'd be okay with swimming if it didn't completely ruin a match. It'd be pretty nice if you could attack in water or something, haha.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Ladder climbing needs to be cut, not swimming.
If you're close to a ladder and you want to jump, you may end up climbing instead ruining your strategy.
But if you end up in water, it's your fault. It's supposed to slow you down.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Smash 4 was made from scratch, so it's impossible for it to have carried over.
No it wasn't.

Various voices and animations are reused from Brawl.

Also, Sakurai said "Brawl was made from scratch" even though various voices and animations were also reused from Melee in Brawl just like they are now.

Heck, things from 64 were reused in Melee as well.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Someone must be playing a modded version of Brawl where you don't drown if you camp in the water. Such hyperbole.

It's impossible to camp in the water when it leaves you extremely vulnerable for punishment and spikes.

Auramaniji

Roasted!
NNID
N/A
I don't really mind swimming, but as long as it's useless just like in brawl.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117

Holy wow I would love that. On the Wii U with the HD textures........ oh man oh man oh man.

Have there ever been any spoilerific stages in Smash?
Well, there's New Pork City from M3, given that that's basically the final level of the game. Then again Brawl spoiled alot of Mother 3's plot, so i guess that's an exception.

There are other stages that have water for swimming, it doesnt neccessarily mean Delfino Plaza is confirmed.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Too bad how in the SSB4 Direct we could see Diddy Kong's Brawl Icon instead of his SSB4 one during the Little Mac segment. :|
The Icon was likely a placeholder until they finished Diddy Kong's official render for Smash 4 since the model would obviously be created first..it was likely that they hadn't swapped out the icon for Diddy to the official one yet.
No it wasn't.

Also, Sakurai said "Brawl was made from scratch" even though various voices and animations were also reused from Melee in Brawl just like they are now.

Just because they re-used things doesn't mean they were part of carried over code. After all, several things from completely unrelated game were brought into Super Smash Bros. Brawl as well, such as a lot of the trophy models having 'extra' bits from the games they originated from.

Animations are of course going to be re-created if they are re-creating the characters with minimal differences.

Also, voices and sounds get re-used alot. Mario & Luigi's voices in Super Smash Bros. and Super Smash Bros. Melee were re-using samples from Super Mario 64, just with Luigi's voice being sped up and higher pitched to be difference.

Just because Animations are the same and sounds are re-used doesn't mean they are carried over..at least not in regards to how that person meant as 'carried over', IE: Altering the code of a previous game.

All we know is that they likely have the assets from Brawl to use for reference similar to how they had the assets from Melee to use as reference as well.

What you should have said was that there were Melee trophies found in Brawl's code, though some were miscoloured like Donkey Kong Jr, but they could have been put into the game purely to text Trophy Systems prior to actually creating any actual trophies.

xxEliteAlicexx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xxEliteAlicexx
Because it leads to camping, stalling, and frequently annoying and boring sequences in battles. It's disruptive for no real reason.

As for competitive players, they would complain because stages like Delfino Plaza have water, and that stage is often legal in Brawl tournaments. However, the swimming aspect is a major reason why it's also frequently banned in Brawl (because of the camping it creates).

I mean seriously, who plays smash bros. to swim super slow in smash, or climb ladders in smash=???

Wanting to play Smash even partially for those mechanics just sounds plain stupid, especially when both lead to camping.

I don't know about you guys, but I want frequent camping to stay just in Brawl.
All that typing waisted, I didn't ask for a paragraph so to keep my reply relatively short, let me restate something. "if you played competitive then I don't see the complain of why would you even chose an unbalanced stage with water."

Therefore, go to Final Destination, Battle Field, or Animal Crossing. Problem solved. ^^

Last edited:

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
All that typing waisted, I didn't ask for a paragraph so to keep my reply relatively short, let me restate something. "if you played competitive then I don't see the complain of why would you even chose an unbalanced stage with water."

Therefore, go to Final Destination, Battle Field, or Animal Crossing. Problem solved. ^^
Because tournament players totally have control over what the TO decides is legal.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Let's take out buildings and water in FPS', too? Not that I play them really anymore.

Final Destination, Fast Characters Only, Always Aggro???

Hate the player, not the game. :denzel:

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Let's take out buildings and water in FPS', too? Not that I play them really anymore.

Final Destination, Fast Characters Only, Always Aggro???

Hate the player, not the game. :denzel:
I would respond to you, but your sentence structure is non-existent and I had no idea what you were trying to communicate.

How about no=???

We can expand the stage list to include Delfino Plaza if we remove swimming as it is in Brawl.

Besides, who the heck plays smash to slowly swim in the water=???

Also if you knew the very basics about tournaments, you'd understand this...
Because tournament players totally have control over what the TO decides is legal.

Last edited:

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Incorrect information going around: Brawl was not made from scratch. Assets and tools used in Melee were carried over to Brawl.

Essentially, Brawl's core elements are taken from Melee. And this then was carried over to Smash 4. This is why you see data files for Roy, Mewtwo, Pichu and Dr. Mario in Brawl. The big difference is the engine used in Brawl: Havoc Engine. This contributes to the physics and interactions characters have with items such as rolling crates where you're able to ride on them.

It also helps that Gamecube, Wii and Wii U the same core CPU architecture (Gekko, Broadway and Espresso respectively) which could factor in how easy it is to port these elements over I assume. But that's just technical jibber-jabber.

xxEliteAlicexx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xxEliteAlicexx
I would respond to you, but your sentence structure is non-existent and I had no idea what you were trying to communicate.

How about no=???

We can expand the stage list to include Delfino Plaza if we remove swimming as it is in Brawl.

Besides, who the heck plays smash to slowly swim in the water=???

Also if you knew the very basics about tournaments, you'd understand this...
Did I ever say I played Smash to swim in the water? LMAO Anyways, trust me.. buddy. ^_^ I'm actually a competitive myself, and never have I onced chosen Delfino Plaza before until I'm playing with my friends or family, otherwise, don't chose it. Lol

So how about, battle field? Or nawh.

I know tournament rules, see how much you can throw at a person you just met. Lol What else do yah know buddy? ^^

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
If you were having trouble with how I was speaking to you, then please say no more. You only play Smash Bros. a certain style (so it seems you just want basic platforms and play aggressively) so you choose not to appreciate and accept all of its variety. If you don't like water, then don't use the stages. You can camp/stall in any game. All games will have certain types of players. Swimming in Brawl wasn't meaningless, but I'd say falling through water is. People act like water isn't a chance to get back into the fight. If everyone knows the physics of it, it's equally fair amongst all players. Nobody really wants to get in the water, either. That's part of it the fun. At most, everyone I've played with were in it for mere seconds; we don't spend the entire match swimming. It's less of a hazard than rising lava or blowing winds.

Last edited:

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
No it wasn't.

The code is made from scratch. Not necessarily the assets. It would make a lot of sense to use assets from previous games as placeholders while programming the new game and sometimes the old assets may work well enough to not need to make new assets. I apologize for not being clearer, but to me saying that a game is made from scratch doesn't necessarily mean assets, too, but I guess I can see how someone would infer that.

Top Bottom