• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Work In Progress SWF Community Voted Tier List - 3.0 COMPLETE

D

Deleted member

I'm just glad that this time around the character I wanted to main is good.
I main :kirby64: and :ness64: in 64. Former is the second best character in the game while Ness is one of the worst.

:icsmelee: and :drmario: are my homies in Melee, both are some of the best characters in the game. Lucky for me!

:dedede:,:kirby2: & :metaknight: are my Brawl mains. All of them ended up being quite good, especially Meta Knight. I was hyped as hell for :sonic: and mained him for a while in that game even knowing that he was bad.

Smash 4? I'm well outta luck with :4dedede:, unfortunately. I wanted to main :4palutena: before the game came out but like everyone else I ended up hating her around release. I've warmed up to her despite her serious issues, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Smash 4? I'm well outta luck with :4dedede:, unfortunately. I wanted to main :4palutena: before the game came out but like everyone else I ended up hating her around release. I've warmed up to her despite her serious issues, though.
Palutena can be a lot of fun without customs she actually has a pretty neat combo game, it just requires a lot of improvisation.

D

Deleted member

Palutena can be a lot of fun without customs she actually has a pretty neat combo game, it just requires a lot of improvisation.
Yeah, definitely. She has a very high learning curve, but it's not that rewarding in certain MUs anyhow because of her inherent design bringing her down. I still have fun with her, but I'd never take her to any place like a tournament confidently like I'd do with my other characters.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Yeah, definitely. She has a very high learning curve, but it's not that rewarding in certain MUs anyhow because of her inherent design bringing her down. I still have fun with her, but I'd never take her to any place like a tournament confidently like I'd do with my other characters.
To each his own. I would use her if I liked her in a tournament despite her flaws.

aεrgiα

Smash Journeyman
well im the typical low tier main guy, and for no reason, its not that i pick them because theyre low tier but rather i play who i find fun, and sadly they end up (usually) being low tier :( only exception is arguably the most hated best char in any fg ive ever played(cammy ssf4) :( i guess i have no luck with my mains, even lucas is looking worse and worse the more i play him. well at least im enjoying pika atm, so maybe i can manage to pick him up, and dont get bored of him :/

also, i know its a bit late; i actually disagree with quite a few of the things said about jiggs. first of all rest is a good move, especially on jiggs who struggles with killing, yes the fact that u can be punished for killing with it is the SINGLE most ******** thing in all of gaming, but that doesnt change the fact that its a very strong kill move, no two way about it. funniest thing is rest being a good special gets challenged but pound being good doesnt? that move(pound) has stupid amounts of lag on it, in fact i was playing my friend earlier and hit his shield with pound, and he punished me with dash grab!!! dont forget, this is supposed to be jiggs best answer to shield!
also, about grab, its definitely not good by any means but i do manage to get a surprising number of grabs in and whilst its not a lot, if i get the choice of 10% and putting the opponent in a disadvantageous position, ill take it :)
also jab isnt useless, its definitely not great but its useable for things like jab jab to grab (ofc its avoidable, works a surprising number of times tho, especially if u mix it up) so while i DO agree that jiggs is one of the contenders for bottom tier, i dont think her grab and her rest are as bad as they are made out to be :/

DarkK

Smash Apprentice
Alright.
  • Piss-poor endurance, especially vertically.
  • Has legit no range. It doesn't help she gets absolutely destroyed by shields and has nothing to challenge them except for Pound, which is a poor option in of itself due to the move's endlag and predictability.
  • Since her jumps are her only form of recovery, once she gets gimped or spiked at low percents say goodbye to your stock.
  • Her ground game is bad. No way around it. Other than a decent dash attack and okay tilts, all her options are ludicrously poor. Bad grab range, throws with no reward, laggy and predictable smash attacks, the worst set of specials in the entire game, and the slowest walking and dashing speed in the game.
  • She cannot deal with disjointed hitboxes at all and gets decimated by most heavyweights because since she's such a fragile character she can die in a few good five to six hits by said heavies. Say hello to characters like :4bowser:, :4metaknight:, :4dk:, :4myfriends:, :4pit:, :4lucas: and :4dedede:.
  • She can be punished for pulling off Rest successfully due to it no longer guaranteeing a Star KO, and anybody who's quick enough after respawning can potentially KO her while she's still sleeping.
But yeah, like Routa Routa said better to bring the discussion there. I even talked about Jiggly in this thread a few pages ago. There's just literally nothing to fear about this character.
Bringing back the topic of :4jigglypuff: for a little bit, I once got destroyed by Bowser on my last serious run as Jigglypuff, at around 80%.What killed me? Bowser's JAB, right on the ledge. It was both funny and sad lol.

I feel bad for :4ganondorf:. Has been bottom tier for two games in a row, and :4zelda: has been bottom tier in all three of her Smash incarnations.

...At least Samus got a break by being a mid-high tier in Melee. :samusmelee:
Zelda is in tier B in Melee. I wouldn't call that bottom tier, as she's placed 19th out of 26. Bottom tier would be the F tier. Ganon is debatable as if he's low or bottom tier at this point in Smash 4.

Last edited:

VPTurnip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Turnip
3DS FC
0920-3141-8524
@Aergia Xandercosm Xandercosm

Thanks for the heads up on Meta Knight. I wasn't trying to say he was bad though, just surprised he was so high above some other characters. The more you know, eh? I definitely did underestimate him at the least.

As for Falcon, I guess he does okay, but still not sure about his placement. A lot of his moves are predictable, and his recovery isn't great, but other than that he's a pretty nice character, so it makes sense he'd be closer to the top than the bottom, even so.

Still, Olimar is an amazing character with great recovery, several options for kill moves, excellent range, little to almost no lag on some of his pretty good moves, solid combo game, some really nice throws and not half-bad priority. It's a shame he's so low on this list considering.

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Zelda is in tier B in Melee. I wouldn't call that bottom tier, as she's placed 19th out of 26. Bottom tier would be the F tier.
That's still pretty bad, I think he meant low tier in broad term rather then a tier perspective.

D

Deleted member

Zelda is in tier B in Melee. I wouldn't call that bottom tier, as she's placed 19th out of 26. Bottom tier would be the F tier. Ganon is debatable as if he's low or bottom tier at this point in Smash 4.
B tier in Melee is still bad. It's pretty much an E tier but only not in name. When the next Melee tier list comes around she's definitely bound to plummet, especially with her stagnant meta and no active representatives other than The Lake. Ganon's also pretty much agreed to be somewhere in low tier, but you're right to say it's difficult where he'll go at this point. The shieldstun changes benefited him, but he's gonna have a lot of trouble due to the game becoming more aggressive than it initially was.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Bringing back the topic of :4jigglypuff: for a little bit, I once got destroyed by Bowser on my last serious run as Jigglypuff, at around 80%.What killed me? Bowser's JAB, right on the ledge. It was both funny and sad lol.

Not a lot of people realize this, but the Melee tier list is super our-dated. Zelda is usually considered bottom tier (source: i fikkiw melee just as much if not more than smash 4) now.

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
How one of my friends explains the Melee tier list: "The tournament viable characters end at Samus. Yoshi, Luigi and Pikachu are just on the edge. Everyone else is either bad or requires far too much effort".

Now, bringing this into a Smash 4 perspective, I think that nearly everyone on this list is viable in some shape or form. I could argue the toss about Jiggly, Gunner and Brawler a bit, but I suppose even they have a matchup or two that are in their favor so could be useful as secondaries/counterpicks on occasion.

And actually, does anybody know about the Falcon:Yoshi matchup? I know it's one of Rosalina's lesser matchups, and I was struggling against a really good Yoshi last night. I even switched to Mario and it didn't improve much, so I went Falcon, and actually managed to win very easily. Is Falcon:Yoshi in Falcon's favor, or was it just the opponent sucking against him? If it really is in his favor, I might keep Falcon as a pocket for that matchup.

Last edited:

aεrgiα

Smash Journeyman
How one of my friends explains the Melee tier list: "The tournament viable characters end at Samus. Yoshi, Luigi and Pikachu are just on the edge. Everyone else is either bad or requires far too much effort".

Now, bringing this into a Smash 4 perspective, I think that nearly everyone on this list is viable in some shape or form. I could argue the toss about Jiggly, Gunner and Brawler a bit, but I suppose even they have a matchup or two that are in their favor so could be useful as secondaries/counterpicks on occasion.

And actually, does anybody know about the Falcon:Yoshi matchup? I know it's one of Rosalina's lesser matchups, and I was struggling against a really good Yoshi last night. I even switched to Mario and it didn't improve much, so I went Falcon, and actually managed to win very easily. Is Falcon:Yoshi in Falcon's favor, or was it just the opponent sucking against him? If it really is in his favor, I might keep Falcon as a pocket for that matchup.
well i can make a case for gunner being decent, i mean similar to samus, if she can keep her opponent out shes generally going to have fun ;)(for eg i think she wins vs d3, ganon and the other juggernaughts) i think theres only 2 match ups which are close to unwinnable for gunner(imo and i dont main her so take it with a grain of salt)(also this us assuming 1111 since thats what this tier list is based off of) and thats lucas and ness because they just need to hold psi magnet and gunner loses all of her ranged options except for fsmash(lol) forcing her to approach, and without her other specials and her fair, she cant really approach. her 5% damage throws dont help either when ur approaching shield(although u do have to keep in mind her uair shenanigans(lasts longer than an air dodge so if u stay below them the whole time, its gonna hit) so her throw game isnt useless, just bad ;) )

as for the falcon yoshi mu, i think thats generally considered 50:50 :/ i dont know but i see yoshis nair to be a big problem for falcon in that mu i mean offstage, nair to gimp his recovery, nair to stuff dash grab approaches, nair(and dj) to escape combos... while i can see it being 50:50 i dont see falcon winning it, but what do i know i dont play either char :dizzy:

Last edited:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
@Aergia Xandercosm Xandercosm

Thanks for the heads up on Meta Knight. I wasn't trying to say he was bad though, just surprised he was so high above some other characters. The more you know, eh? I definitely did underestimate him at the least.

As for Falcon, I guess he does okay, but still not sure about his placement. A lot of his moves are predictable, and his recovery isn't great, but other than that he's a pretty nice character, so it makes sense he'd be closer to the top than the bottom, even so.

Still, Olimar is an amazing character with great recovery, several options for kill moves, excellent range, little to almost no lag on some of his pretty good moves, solid combo game, some really nice throws and not half-bad priority. It's a shame he's so low on this list considering.
Next we need to see Villager in tier 2.

aεrgiα

Smash Journeyman
On the topic of future dlcs (:4cloud:), I suggest to not vote them until 2 or 3 months have passed.
well first we have to see when we start voting again, and i think it would be logical to start voting again after giving the dlc character(s) time to settle in :/ i think 2/3 months is unneccesary though since we dont start voting on the "final product"(as in the final version) straight away, we would start voting and finish the next list months later(assuming it will go like the previous round) giving us ample time to correct any placement mistakes caused by lack of knowledge on the character. so while i do agree that a day one tier list of dlc chars would be nonsense, starting the next voting round when they are released would not be(not saying we should, just saying i see no issue with it).

also kind of related but does anyone know when the smash bros "direct" will be exactly? i mean i know its in "december" but thats a 4 week time period could be december 1st or 24th december(would be like daddy sakurai giving out "presents"(omg if cloud was free id cry ;) )) anyone got anything more exact than that?

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
also kind of related but does anyone know when the smash bros "direct" will be exactly? i mean i know its in "december" but thats a 4 week time period could be december 1st or 24th december(would be like daddy sakurai giving out "presents"(omg if cloud was free id cry ;) )) anyone got anything more exact than that?
Nope, the date has yet to be announced.

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3
We don't even know if :4cloud:is gonna be the only character coming in the next few weeks... *cough
here's hoping*

We are probably getting at least 2 more characters based on the slots in the games code. There were 3 slots. Cloud will take up one of them, King K.Rool will take the 2nd, and somebody else will be taking the third.

Seriously though, we don't know what Sakurai is gonna reveal. Maybe Cloud will be the new Sheik? Maybe Sheik will finally get her needles nerfed. Maybe Marth will get more throw follow ups. Maybe King K.Rool will become the new SSS tier character. Whatever happens, it will be interesting to see how it affects the tier list.

(edit: BELIEVE IN THE KING!)

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Those who live in comic book houses shouldn't start fires. Even if they are right.
The only comic book house livers who shouldn't "start" fires are the ones who are always ******** and moaning about a Marvel or DC movie(Bay's version of TMNT and Fantastic Four movies are exceptions of course). Have you ever spent what would feel like hours and years with people saying stuff like "**** Marvel, they're so kiddy" or "DC is trying to bank off of the MCU success"? That gets annoying alot(don't get me started on TMNT and Star Wars fans).

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
I was sad when I had a dream watching the Smash Direct and Shantae, K Rool, Shovel Knight, and Impa made it in and were avlible right after the direct. As soon I a grab my 3ds I wake ip D:

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3
I just hope nobody mentions that supposed TMNT game that is supposedly in development by Platinum Games... oh...

Ok, back on the topic of the tier list. Even after the last round, which character do you think is the most out of place, and where would you put them?

For me, it's :4lucina:, who should be at least at the top of tier 5, or the very bottom of tier 4, to be closer to Marth.

aεrgiα

Smash Journeyman
I just hope nobody mentions that supposed TMNT game that is supposedly in development by Platinum Games... oh...

Ok, back on the topic of the tier list. Even after the last round, which character do you think is the most out of place, and where would you put them?

For me, it's :4lucina:, who should be at least at the top of tier 5, or the very bottom of tier 4, to be closer to Marth.
well the placements i disagree the most with are the miis(brawler is the worst in the game imo, and sword and gunner are not the worst, and def not in their own damn tier (wtf?!?)) but the character i believe is the most out of place is game n watch, i mean hes light... but apart from that i think hes got a pretty good kit :/ (although it would be great if his uair actually connected properly at kill %, its like it only connects AND kills for a 10(something like that?)% range and then the second hit stops connecting)

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3
well the placements i disagree the most with are the miis(brawler is the worst in the game imo, and sword and gunner are not the worst, and def not in their own damn tier (wtf?!?)) but the character i believe is the most out of place is game n watch, i mean hes light... but apart from that i think hes got a pretty good kit :/ (although it would be great if his uair actually connected properly at kill %, its like it only connects AND kills for a 10(something like that?)% range and then the second hit stops connecting)
It would also be nice if each of the hits of Nair were at least 2 frames. At least then, the move would have a higher chance of linking correctly.

Routa

Smash Lord
Only 1? Well in that case either :4miisword: (higher) or :4jigglypuff: (to bottom).

Reasoning? Well I'm pretty sure that most of us here know my opinion about the both.

Top Bottom