• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Work In Progress SWF Community Voted Tier List - 3.0 COMPLETE

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Almost half of the voters this period voted for their main (myself included). At this point I think it's reasonable to say that this is a problem.
This is still going to sound biased, but I do firmly believe that Falco is at least mid-tier than low tier. Falco is a weird mix of himself and Wolf which sort of creates this issue of an "incomplete" character.

Reasons here:
Wolf's strengths were his weight, melee range, and fast attacks which allowed him to get away from being killed earlier than Fox and Falco and his slow ground speed since Side Smash and Jab significantly move him forward and moves like Ftilt and Down Smash already have decent range.

Wolf's Blaster already had end lag like Falco does now, but it's much, much safer since the bayonet would prevent the issue of shooting too close like say, a mis-input leads to Falco using Blaster instead of Phantasm, well, Falco's royally screwed compared to Wolf who at least gets a "first hit" through his bayonet while Falco just whips his Blaster out and prays he shoots first before he gets hit and even then, Falco's Blaster lacks the bayonet's knockback.

Hit box-wise, Wolf's Up Smash and Nair are safer than Falco's Falco's Up Smash whiffs on smaller fighters since the hit box are his legs and Falco's Nair tends to whiff the rest of the hits while Wolf's is more like Sonic's Spin Dash/Charge.

Falco still has strengths that Wolf lacks like good ledge sweet-spots, Falco Phantasm being a decent and fast meteor, good air kill moves - Fair, Bair, and Uair -, several ground kill moves - Side Smash, Up Smash, Down Smash, Dtilt, and Utilt -, and good spacing tools - Ftilt, Jab, Reflector, and Blaster, yes, Blaster.

Falco racks up damage through attacks with multi-hits while Wolf is more like Sheik who has to combo move after move. Also, Falco's recovery is good considering his jump height, wall jump, and ability to act out of Falco Phantasm; granted, Wolf's recovery would be good to if the same rule applies to Wolf Flash not making Wolf enter a helpless state.

Aside from Blaster being slow for whatever reason that ignores common sense - put the damned thing in the holster and pull the trigger to shoot -, Falco's sluggishness, melee range, and sometimes weird hit boxes makes him feel like an inferior Wolf. That does not, however, make Falco low tier. Good spacing tools, good combo potential, and good kill tools allows Falco to handle his own. He's at least mid tier.

If there was another patch, I think he should gain a slight dashing speed boost, Up Smash should have something that fixes it from whiffing too much which also applies to Meta Knight's FUBAR'd hit boxes, and perhaps Falco's Blaster could have less start-up to compensate for its end lag.

Falco's more than just short hop lasers, chain grabs, and Dair.

Last edited:

LordFluffy

Smash Apprentice
:4zss: -1 Close to but not top 5 imo. has some unfavorable matchups
:4shulk:+1 The power of the Monado is underestimated at the bottom of that group
:4lucina:+1 still don't get why she so much further below marth. She's essentially marth without the need for spacing the tip and generally speaking i see more kills with lucina at like 90% then i do with marth.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
:4lucina:+1 still don't get why she so much further below marth. She's essentially marth without the need for spacing the tip and generally speaking i see more kills with lucina at like 90% then i do with marth.
She's a slightly inferior Marth. You need to be able to space if you're a competitive player, thus if the tier list is talking about characters when used to their full potential, Lucina is inferior to Marth (unfortunately). I wish they'd give her some sort of buff so she's different from Marth and not outright worse.

LordFluffy

Smash Apprentice
She's a slightly inferior Marth. You need to be able to space if you're a competitive player, thus if the tier list is talking about characters when used to their full potential, Lucina is inferior to Marth (unfortunately). I wish they'd give her some sort of buff so she's different from Marth and not outright worse.
I mean that's just it. if you can land those tips consistently then yes she is without a doubt worse than marth. but not at all by that much imo. from a logistical standpoint yes, at his best applies here, but where she stands on the list i feel is making her appear way worse than marth. imo she should be right below marth as a result.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
+1:4dedede: Not sure why he's so low, people act like spamming the Gordo is his only playstyle, he can do a lot more things than just about everyone in the tier above him.
-1:4zss: I still fail to see why people have so many problems with her, she's a one-trick horse that's fairly predictable, because of this I wouldn't rank her alongside Yoshi and Ness.

Aside from that I don't really have any problems with the current list.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Almost half of the voters this period voted for their main (myself included). At this point I think it's reasonable to say that this is a problem.
Edit: That people upvoting their mains. Come on, be objetive.
Hopefully people will read these posts and put their bias aside to make this list somewhat valid.
I mean that's just it. if you can land those tips consistently then yes she is without a doubt worse than marth. but not at all by that much imo. from a logistical standpoint yes, at his best applies here, but where she stands on the list i feel is making her appear way worse than marth. imo she should be right below marth as a result.
>If any part of her sword hits a shield she's easily punished, unless its d-tilt.
>Any match up she excels at Marth does better.
>Shorter range than Marth, she cannot get tippered F-Smash on the lower platforms of battlefield.
>Can't kill early.

She shouldn't be on the same tier as Marth tbh.

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I'm sorry my mains happen to be good characters in general and deserve to be higher than where they are? Lol.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I honestly think anyone *****ing about someone else's preference for voting should be taken with a grain of salt. The OP said it first, basically vote for whoever the hell you want, for whatever reason you want.

No 'if's. No 'and's. No 'but's. Don't like it then you can counter our votes using your own or opt out of voting that period altogether.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
There are a few things I disagree with on the current list, but none as strongly as Pac-Man.

So :4pacman:+1.

ArccJPO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ArccJPO
+1:4dedede: Not sure why he's so low, people act like spamming the Gordo is his only playstyle, he can do a lot more things than just about everyone in the tier above him.
As a Shulk main, I never, repeating, never had any problem with D3. All his moves are easily predictable, bein very easy to knock him out with 50~80% dmg be simply counter-attacking him. I probably never saw a good D3 in For Glory, or if the MU against Shulk is just too insanely hard for him, but, as far as I played, D3 is medium to low tier.

I won't be voting up for Shulk, as it would be dumb to vote up my own main, so here it goes (based on 1.0.1 on Wii U vers.):

+1 :rosalina:: Too stronk, there is a small wall called Luma, which makes approaching Rosalina pretty damn hard, by far one of the hardest MU I can find.

+ 1 :4megaman:: Too much chip damage and pretty strong U and D smashes, making a very trick char to go against.

+ 1 :4palutena:: Has insane potential, can't wait for people to train up with her.

Last edited:

Browny

Smash Hater
UPDATED :)

Fox with the unanimous 10+ upvotes gets a +2 overall boost on the list while ROB wasnt far off 10 minus votes :O

Remember people, if you think a character is too low, dont forget to send the characters around them downwards otherwise they might all go up, therefore keeping your character in the same place!
I honestly think anyone *****ing about someone else's preference for voting should be taken with a grain of salt. The OP said it first, basically vote for whoever the hell you want, for whatever reason you want.

No 'if's. No 'and's. No 'but's. Don't like it then you can counter our votes using your own or opt out of voting that period altogether.
Yep

People will upvote their mains, you cant stop them and theres no reason to. Many people chose their mains because they believe they are good characters, so they should be allowed to vote them up. You couldnt tell a diddy main not to put their character up, so why would you stop anyone else? We dont know who is high or low tier yet, its far too early.

Last edited:

Jucchan

Smash Journeyman
-1 Ness
-1 Mario
-1 Megaman

I'm pretty sure the thread title should be 23rd-26th, not 24th-27th...

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
WHAT. Ness and Yoshi are Diddy tier?
They're great, but they're not like Diddy. Diddy needs his own tier because of how much he's got going for him with such little weakness.

The tier list actually looked better in the last voting period, IMO.

:4jigglypuff: +1
:4miigun: +1
:4megaman: -1

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
-Ness
+DeDeDe
+ZSS (Yeah I know, main blabla, but she has some still unused reliable killing options in the 30 to 70% range that really are not hard to pull off.)

Last edited:

The_SuperiorTaste

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheSuperiorTaste
3DS FC
0834-2018-7252
-1 Fox: Fast Attacks, low cooldown, great combo game, good kill options. Lacks in edge guarding, a predictable recovery, being juggled, a fast faller meaning easily combo-able, very light (4th lightest overall if I'm not mistaken). Imo he's good but not that good; top 18.

+1 Toon Link: Fast attacks, low cooldown on most attacks, great camp game, good kill options. Lacks in getting out of pressure, a lot of landing lag, predictable recovery. Imo he's top 15.

+1 Meta Knight: fast attacks, low cooldown on his down and up smash attacks, racks up damage very well, good combo game, good recovery. Lacks in kill options, range, forcing an approach, a lot of cooldown on most of his attacks, light. Imo he's top 20.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
+1 :4pikachu: Imo a top 5 character. His only flaw is that he can occasionally struggle to get the raw kill, however he has numerous ways to setup into his kill moves. That aside he has the best edge guarding ability in the game, incredible mobility, and incredible combo game, ambiguous mixups, a great projectiles, speed and disjoints. He's a little unorthodox but he has some of the most powerful tools in the game.
+1 :4olimar: Severely underrated. People seem to overestimate how much he has changed from Brawl. He can still outcamp the vast majority of the roster thanks to his Side B and great ground movement options (his foxtrot is quick allowing him to bait approaches really well). He still has a fantastic grab complimented by a strong throw game and a good combo game. His smashes, particularly his FSmash which I believe to be one of the best Smash attacks in the game in general, while not as absurdly good as they were in Brawl are still excellent and his improved recovery gives him a stronger edge guard game. He has trouble approaching but he rarely ever needs to as he can draw most of the cast to him.
-1 :4jigglypuff: By far the most overrated character here at the moment. The fact that this character currently ranks above Pikachu, who outclasses this character in basically every way, is puzzling. While she definitely received some notable improvements from Brawl I still personally don't believe it's enough to keep up in the grand scheme of things.

D

Deleted member 269706

+ :4sheik: I still think Sheik is among the very best characters, I would argue that she's slightly better than everyone that she's currently grouped with. Should be up there with Diddy in my opinion.
+ :4myfriends: He's definitely not top tier, but I have seen him pull off some incredible feats. His grab game is incredible and his aerials are really underrated. I'd put him right in the middle if it were up to me.
+ :4falco: I seriously don't understand why people think he's THAT bad...Sure he's no Fox, but that low on the list?

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom