• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Work In Progress SWF Community Voted Tier List - 3.0 COMPLETE

CyroX

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2337-4658-2121
(:4pit::4darkpit:):4rob::4lucas::4lucario::4link::4falco::4greninja::4olimar::4feroy::4megaman::4tlink::4shulk:
-Pit (and Dark Pit) is just an amazing all-around character.
-Link is pretty underrated.
-Falco is also underrated and has great follow ups off of his grab.
-Roy has an okay combo game, and his attacks are very strong overall.
-Toon Link can keep people away pretty well with his specials.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
- :4falco: (laser doesn't autocancel + no chaingrabs + practically useless d-air=no bueno)
-If lasers auto-cancelled he'd be top tier (it would be more cancerous than needles lol)

-That sucks since so many characters have chain grabs in this game

-You could literally say the same thing for over half of the dairs in this game

I'm itching to work on the next tier but it hasn't updated yet, so just a couple of thoughts...

(:4pit::4darkpit:) :4olimar::4rob::4lucas::4lucario::4greninja::4falco::4megaman::4feroy::4shulk::4link::4tlink:

:4olimar:- He's not getting too many down votes, but he's pretty low on a lot of people lists. I feel like he falls under the same boat as Falco, heavily underrated because of a lack of solid representation. Without proper knowledge of the match up Olimar is one of the hardest characters to play.

:4feroy:- I'll be honest, I think he should be in tier 5 but I didn't vote him down because it seemed like a waste of a vote with how many supporters he has. I get the whole "he needs to be different from Marth" design, but the hilter works against what most swordsmen do in this game, spacing. He's quick and he's fast, but he has few options against shields. Combos are nice and all, but their not even that good damage wise, I feel like the only reason people bring them up at all is because Marth doesn't have them.

(:4pit::4darkpit:)- I voted for Greninja, but I honestly wouldn't mind the pits being at the top of this tier. If anything they represent the mid-tier the best. Mid-tiers have all the tools needed to be tournament viable, but lack that big weapon or strength to consistently come out on top. I think the Pits embody that well.

:4lucas:- I want this character to be good, but I haven't seen too many tournament matches with him so I'm not too sure about his placement. Pink Fresh did pretty well at Xanadu recently using only Lucas, hopefully he'll keep getting better and show us more about his viability.

:4rob:- A great character in general with a really good projectile that also sets-up into kills, good spacing tools, and reliable kill options.

I feel like everybody else is pretty self-explanatory. I've already said my bit about Falco earlier so enough of that lol.

Last edited:

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
4: :4rob: (:4pit: :4darkpit:) :4lucario: :4greninja: :4megaman: :4olimar: :4tlink: :4feroy: :4lucas: :4link: :4falco: :4shulk:

+1 :4rob: He has consistent results in regional tournaments on par with most of the high tier characters above him, and he has solid representation in nationals as well.

-1 :4shulk: His Monado Arts are a cool gimmick, but they do nothing to make up for his atrociously slow moves. He has almost no fast options, which means you've got no way to deal with close pressure. This along with no SH autocancels means he really has no way to safely apply pressure or deal with opposing pressure. He's not terribad, but he certainly isn't mid tier. Just because you have a high learning curve doesn't make you good, it just makes you tedious. Which hurts to say as a Shulk secondary.

aεrgiα

Smash Journeyman
-If lasers auto-cancelled he'd be top tier (it would be more cancerous than needles lol)

-That sucks since so many characters have chain grabs in this game

-You could literally say the same thing for over half of the dairs in this game

I'm itching to work on the next tier but it hasn't updated yet, so just a couple of thoughts...

(:4pit::4darkpit:) :4olimar::4rob::4lucas::4lucario::4greninja::4falco::4megaman::4feroy::4shulk::4link::4tlink:

:4olimar:- He's not getting too many down votes, but he's pretty low on a lot of people lists. I feel like he falls under the same boat as Falco, heavily underrated because of a lack of solid representation. Without proper knowledge of the match up Olimar is one of the hardest characters to play.

:4feroy:- I'll be honest, I think he should be in tier 5 but I didn't vote him down because it seemed like a waste of a vote with how many supporters he has. I get the whole "he needs to be different from Marth" design, but the hilter works against what most swordsmen do in this game, spacing. He's quick and he's fast, but he has few options against shields. Combos are nice and all, but their not even that good damage wise, I feel like the only reason people bring them up at all is because Marth doesn't have them.

(:4pit::4darkpit:)- I voted for Greninja, but I honestly wouldn't mind the pits being at the top of this tier. If anything they represent the mid-tier the best. Mid-tiers have all the tools needed to be tournament viable, but lack that big weapon or strength to consistently come out on top. I think the Pits embody that well.

:4lucas:- I want this character to be good, but I haven't seen too many tournament matches with him so I'm not too sure about his placement. Pink Fresh did pretty well at Xanadu recently using only Lucas, hopefully he'll keep getting better and show us more about his viability.

:4rob:- A great character in general with a really good projectile that also sets-up into kills, good spacing tools, and reliable kill options.

I feel like everybody else is pretty self-explanatory. I've already said my bit about Falco earlier so enough of that lol.
but theyre combos!!! who cares if they dont do much damage, they are combos *mind blown*... seriously i find people often place way too much importance on combos so i agree with u on that 100%...

as for olimar, honestly i think hes in the right place in this tier, hes good but he has some issues (most annoying being the consistency of his pikmin, so rage inducing when u miss a bair at kill % bc ur pikmin felt like having a piknick instead of being swung by oli TT_TT ) but is still a very good character with some serious strengths.

and the main reason why i wrote this post, thanks to ur post i just realized this tier is pretty much the tier of underepresented chars, olimar is prob the char i can think of the most high level reps off the top of my head :) i mean;
:4rob: mister eric and 8bitman,
:4pit: earth (nairo never uses him :/)
:4greninja: some and amsa,
:4lucas: pink fresh (counts for pit as well now that i think about it),
:4lucario: kamicario and day (and that japanese lucario tho i havnt heard much from him lately),
:4feroy:... i guess maybe staticmanny? i mean i like his roy, but he still mainly uses sonic(sadly),
:4megaman: scat,
:4falco: larry maybe?... keitaro?
:4tlink: the guy whose name i cant write here ;)
:4link: izaw,
:4olimar: myran, dabuz, logic, greenbeast, rich brown, angbad...

please feel free to tell me if ive missed someone, i always love finding new high level players :)

Edit: :4roy: trying to sneak his way into tier 4

Last edited:

atreyujames

The Laziest Man in the North
NNID
Atreyujames
His Monado Arts are a cool gimmick, but they do nothing to make up for his atrociously slow moves. He has almost no fast options, which means you've got no way to deal with close pressure. This along with no SH autocancels means he really has no way to safely apply pressure or deal with opposing pressure. He's not terribad, but he certainly isn't mid tier. Just because you have a high learning curve doesn't make you good, it just makes you tedious. Which hurts to say as a Shulk secondary.
I'm not gonna disagree with you there, but I should mention that Shulk's Nair DOES autocancel out of a SHFF

D

Deleted member

I'm not gonna disagree with you there, but I should mention that Shulk's Nair DOES autocancel out of a SHFF
It has 12 frames of landing lag but it doesn't autocancel; his autocancel windows are horrible (Nair: frame 80, Fair: 57, Bair/Uair: 79, Dair: 78).

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
Dang it, by the time you update this I will have left. Oh well, reserving this for when I get back.

Browny

Smash Hater
Rude.

I've played Link at a competitive level at my locals, and while I'm not the best Link, nor was the competition there of the highest level, I am experienced with Link. Link has comboes, he has kill power, he has gimping, he has kill setups, and his neutral is nothing to scoff at, although it isn't great. I've studied his advanced techs, his kill setups, his edgeguard setups, and gameplay of the highest level Link user, Izaw. He goes even or beats a handful of high tiers, although those he loses to kind of body him, and has a decent MU spread overall. He doesn't deserve to be shoveled into the same tier as Doc, BJr, etc.

Would you mind arguing why you think I'm wrong instead of replying with
and no evidence or reasoning behind it?
Just report his stupid posts btw

D

Deleted member

Real talk, what's with all the hate for Link? He's not by any means subpar, he's an overall decent character.

Browny

Smash Hater
UPDATED :)

That was quite a close round to begin with and although ROB ended up on way more + tier votes than pit, they both were far above anyone else so it was only right to move them up. Shulk was the clear favourite to move down with Link and Falco behind him, but they weren't really that far away from each other, so only Shulk moved.

Now we vote on tier 3; :4myfriends::4ryu::4falcon::4metaknight::4villager::4wario::4pacman::4peach::4dk::4luigi::4rob: (:4pit::4darkpit:)

D

Deleted member

:4myfriends::4ryu::4falcon::4metaknight::4villager::4wario::4pacman::4peach::4dk::4luigi::4rob:(:4pit::4darkpit:)

3: :4ryu::4metaknight::4villager::4peach::4wario:(:4pit::4darkpit:):4falcon::4myfriends::4rob::4pacman::4luigi::4dk:

:4metaknight: +1 Amazing recovery and offstage game, quick combos and overall great frame data and his general unpredictability make me think he could potentially make it into tier 2. Ito, Abadango, Tyrant and Leo have all gotten into top 32 at tournaments with him and shown how much of a monster he can be in the right hands.

:4peach: +1 I really do feel like Peach needs some love. She's got one best projectiles in the game, an excellent set of smash attacks and aerials, and can pull off pretty serious mindgames. I'm not aware of how she performs in tourneys, so if anyone could clarify that'd be cool.

(on an extra note, I would've downvoted :4dk: and upvoted :4ryu: if I had more votes)

Last edited by a moderator:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
UPDATED :)

That was quite a close round to begin with and although ROB ended up on way more + tier votes than pit, they both were far above anyone else so it was only right to move them up. Shulk was the clear favourite to move down with Link and Falco behind him, but they weren't really that far away from each other, so only Shulk moved.

Now we vote on tier 3; :4myfriends::4ryu::4falcon::4metaknight::4villager::4wario::4pacman::4peach::4dk::4luigi::4rob: (:4pit::4darkpit:)
This is a beautiful sight to see...anyways
+1:4ryu:(he is a top tier character, in aging Ryu winning Smash and Street Fighter tournaments like a boss. That'll be a first and the best achievement in fighting games for a year or so)
+1:4pit:Just to be safe...just playing it safe
:4pit::4darkpit::4rob::4peach:-All being High Tier together, never thought it'd ever work. These 3(3.5/4 cause edge)deserve this.
:4myfriends:-I've losses up on him, but it'll take awhile to get used to Ike being ranked high. Best swordsman in the game I suppose(I don't really count:4pit:as a swordsman sincee...bow)

Last edited:

aεrgiα

Smash Journeyman
this is difficult, especially with two votes... well dk needs to go down so only one vote left :/
:4ryu: :4villagerf: :4metaknight: :4wario: :4falcon: :4myfriends: :4rob: :4peach: :4luigi: :4pit: :4pacman: :4dk:
votes :
+1 :4ryu:
-1 :dk:

if i had more votes i think :4villager: needs to go up too but ryu is better and dk really shouldnt be in this tier at all :ohwell:ding dong didnt suddenly get rid of his weaknesses :(

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
:4ryu::4metaknight::4myfriends::4falcon::4wario::4villager::4pacman::4dk::4peach::4luigi::4rob: (:4pit::4darkpit:)

- (:4pit::4darkpit:) I know I was praising them last round, but I didn't think they'd get enough votes to jump all the way to the next tier. Although I think the Pits are good we're starting to approach the higher tiers, which I personally don't believe that they are a part of. Virtually every character on this list has shown consistent results at a national level, in comparison Pit's results are mediocre (I think, correct me if I'm wrong). I still think he should be top of 4th tier.

+:4metaknight: I was going to use this vote on Ryu, but from the looks of things he's going to get a lot of votes anyways. Not much to explain here, it's well known why MK is good. Really good dash attack, combos/juggles, and a very reliable kill move in the form of shuttle loop.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
:4metaknight::4falcon::4ryu::4villager::4pacman::4rob::4wario2::4dk::4luigi::4peach:(:4pit:,:4darkpit:):4myfriends:

+1 :4metaknight: He's actually crazy good. Plus, he can actually compete with Sheik.
-1 :4myfriends: Please...

By the way, what's up with all the DK hate? He's totally tier 3.

Last edited:

Freakykid99

Smash Rookie
:4ryu::4villager::4metaknight::4falcon::4myfriends::4wario::4peach::4rob::4luigi: :4pacman:(:4pit::4darkpit:):4dk:
+1:4ryu: Ryu has gotten lots of representation just recently with Trela, 6WX, and even Mr. R, and has gotten those players consistent placings at nationals. In terms of gameplay, Ryu has the combos and pressure to shut down your opponent, focus attack for mixups and setups, a shoryuken that kills at ridiculous percents and has invincibility, and numerous kill confirms into it pretty much everywhere on the field. Ryu is still underdeveloped and when his true potential comes out soon, he'll definitely be top 10.

+1 :4villager: Villager is another character with the tools needed to shut people out. The rocket puts on huge amounts of pressure, Fair and Bair are great ranged tools, the pocket is a great mixup for characters with projectiles, and both tree and Fsmash are super early kill options. Uair and dair are amazing, especially with added Lloyd pressure. Bthrow can kill, Dthrow combos now, nair is frame 3 and has incredible combo and gimp potential, and on top of that you can get the hitbox on a second one in before you land from a SH. Overall, Villager is a great character that deserves more representation in tournaments, as he can apply safe pressure and control the match easily.

If I could vote for 3, I would probably vote -1:4dk:. He has the ding dong, but that doesn't make him high tier, only solid mid to mid-high tier. He's heavy and combo food, has a giant hitbox, has slow options and poor recovery. It's easy to camp him out and easy to combo him. He doesn't have many solid reps in tourney, with the best meing mew2king and even he thinks DK is solid mid-tier. I think DKWill does too, but I don't have evidence on that one. The character is one-demensional, and once you can work around his ding dong you can beat him pretty easily. The only reason characters with bread-and-butter combos are good is if they have other things to back it up, like prepatch diddy's other tools and ZSS's movement and offstage game.

Equin0x

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Th3Equin0x
3DS FC
0189-9475-0972
DK is nowhere near tier 3, imo. First, he has the wost vertical recovery in the game. Worse than Little Mac, worse than Doc. One footstool, one weak spike and he's done. That's only a part of the real problem, however, which is his awful, AWFUL disadvantage state. His only combo breaker takes forever to end and usually ends him up in a worse position than he would've been in if he took the combo. He has no quick options to create space if someone gets in on him. He has no feasible way to land. With the exception of Bair, all of his aerials are slow and have immense landing lag. His grounded USpec and NSpec have super armor, but those are easily punished on whiff or powershield. (Giant Punch isn't too punishable on block, iirc.) His neutral is pretty bad, too.

His only redeeming factor is his advantage state. If he gets a grab, you're eating a ton of damage or losing your stock, but that's only if your opponent lacks a fast escape or combo break option and only if they're within combo range. He has the ability to end stocks early on hard reads or punishes, but I dont think that these things make up for his glaring weaknesses.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

R.I.P. :4myfriends:. Looks like he's probably gonna go down to tier 4 now.

lbrasz44

Smash Apprentice
:4ryu::4villager::4metaknight::4wario::4falcon::4rob::4pacman::4myfriends::4luigi:(:4pit::4darkpit:):4peach::4dk:

Ryu is pretty much going up and DK's gonna move down at this rate so I'll vote for others.

+1:4villager: awesome aerials and has what I would consider to be the best specials in the game overall, top 5 if not. If utilised correctly, villager is an absolute force during a match in which he could always pressure and put out damage with great keepaway and approaching options. Not sure about his results are here, but I heard he's killing it in Japan.

+1 :4wario:pretty much everyone else here is perfectly fine in this tier actually, other than the characters I mentioned previously. So the second vote will unashamedly be purely about MAIN HYPE . My half-as*ed/semi serious reasonings to Wario's awesomeness is his bite, decent aerials, amazing recovery and the fact that if you sleep on his capabilities you'll quite literally get sh*t on. Oh and I guess pretty decent results too

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

:4ryu::4villager::4metaknight::4wario::4falcon::4rob::4pacman::4myfriends::4luigi:(:4pit::4darkpit:):4peach::4dk:

+1 :4wario:pretty much everyone else here is perfectly fine in this tier actually, other than the characters I mentioned previously. So the second vote will unashamedly be purely about MAIN HYPE . My half-as*ed/semi serious reasonings to Wario's awesomeness is his bite, decent aerials, amazing recovery and the fact that if you sleep on his capabilities you'll quite literally get sh*t on. Oh and I guess pretty decent results too
You upvoted Wario. You. I like you. Reflex got into top 8 at MLG with him which is a first for an American Wario. Not to mention we still got Abadango doing great with him as well.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Yes! Both Pit and R.O.B got to move. I would have been upset if R.O.B moved up while leaving Pit behind but since they both went up it's all good now. Also glad to see Shulk no longer in that tier. Things are looking pretty smooth all things considered. Will wait a bit before voting.
Wait, did something happen I'm not aware of?
I don't have an official statement, but it seems that Abadango has pretty much dropped him as far as serious play is concerned. Right now he seems to be focusing on :4metaknight: and :4pacman: with :rosalina: becoming his third pillar. Can't say I'm surprised. His performance with Wario in the past pales in comparison to how well he's done with Pac-Man, Meta Knight especially, and even Rosalina. Good thing ReflexWonder is holding up the Wario fort in his place. Otherwise, Wario would probably be rather barren results wise.

Last edited:

lbrasz44

Smash Apprentice
You upvoted Wario. You. I like you. Reflex got into top 8 at MLG with him which is a first for an American Wario. Not to mention we still got Abadango doing great with him as well.
Ehh gotta represent, although I still approve his current place in the tier actually haha. Yeah Abadango moved on to other characters which made sense as he's doing better with them, whereas I believe he wasn't really consistent(?) with wario before. At least Reflex came by to represent the character now, although we definitely need more people.

atreyujames

The Laziest Man in the North
NNID
Atreyujames
:4metaknight::4ryu::4luigi::4villager::4falcon::4pacman::4peach::4wario2::4rob::4myfriends::4dk::4pit::4darkpit:

Personally I think this tier should stay as is =P I don't think MetaKnight is solo main worthy, which is what I consider the requirement to move up to tier 2 is.On the other side I wouldn't exactly say the Pits's NEED to move down.

D

Deleted member 269706

:4ryu::4falcon::4luigi::4rob::4myfriends:(:4pit::4darkpit:):4wario2::4metaknight::4villager::4peach::4dk::4pacman:

Voting for Ryu to go up a tier.
Also voting for Ike to go up just to counter a downvote against him. I think that tier 3 is the perfect placement for him after seeing how Ryo has been preforming with him.

HerpFish

Smash Cadet
NNID
HerpFish
3DS FC
1220-9235-4974
:4ryu::4metaknight::4falcon::4pacman::4villager::4peach::4rob::4myfriends::4wario::4luigi:(:4pit::4darkpit:):4dk:
+:4ryu:The only reason I am even bothering to vote on Ryu with the massive amount of votes he has already gotten is that I see him to be the only one out of place in this tier. The rest of them fit in well, even DK. The only other character I would consider moving out of the tier is pushing Meta Knight up, but I feel as though he is better at the top of this one.
+:4dk:DK gets this vote because I wholeheartedly believe that he barely belongs here. I think he scrapes past Lucario, Olimar, and Greninja by enough to be up here, so I will make a feeble attempt at preventing this.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Ehh gotta represent, although I still approve his current place in the tier actually haha. Yeah Abadango moved on to other characters which made sense as he's doing better with them, whereas I believe he wasn't really consistent(?) with wario before. At least Reflex came by to represent the character now, although we definitely need more people.
Abadango moved on to smaller and rounder things

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
Why do so many people want Ike voted to the tier below? I personally have him in the upper part of this tier, but even if you don't agree with that it's a bit ridiculous to want him in tier 4 out of all the character we can down vote.

Last edited:

Equin0x

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Th3Equin0x
3DS FC
0189-9475-0972
I'm more curious about why people think Ike is so darn good. I get it, Ryo gets results, but those results are defended primarily by a good Samus and a good Little Mac; not really hard competition. Ike's recovery is pretty terrible. His attacks are pretty slow (albeit strong and having good followups). His mobility can only be described as poor. I think the hype (Ike is very hype) is just getting to people.

Last edited:
Top Bottom