• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I agree that the april direct was a lot more of that kind of fanservice. And also that a big part of the reason Corrin got in was because of promotion, but keep in mind that popularity in japan might of also played a part.

Also, the term is fabolous boy, teman~. ;)
Apparently Corrin isn't that popular.

Most people say he/she is fairly bland as a character from what I hear. Not particularly bad but not particularly great either. That's to expected though since they are a pseudo-self insert.

And keep in mind Fates is no juggernaut in sales.

Last edited:

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I don't get this.

Do people seriously think Splatoon won't get sequels and spin-offs and the whole shebang?

It was one of Nintendo's greatest successes in recent times and there is no way they will let it fade into obscurity, especially since it fills a demographic they otherwise don't have (shooter fans).

I mean seriously guys it beat Call of Duty for best shooter AND best multiplayer at the Game Awards.

Nintendo ain't dropping Splatoon.
Did you even read what I said? Or did you just read "Inklings" "Don't get your hopes up" and angrily hit reply?

I specifically said their only chance is if they get a sequel in that timeframe, 1 year. A sequel is likely, but nothing is ever a sure thing, especially when it comes to Nintendo and newer IPs. The whole point of what I said is if for whatever reason there isn't a sequel, Inklings won't get in, they won't have the relevancy.

Also, you talk like the game awards are the most important thing ever, I seriously doubt "best shooter" matters to Nintendo. An award like that doesn't guarantee a sequel will recieve the same reception in any way.

D

Deleted member

Since I'm at work / too lazy to look through the broadcast again, was it mentioned how long Corrin's side special could be held for?
He held Wario for a pretty long yime in the broadcast
Probably a maximum of 3-5 seconds maybbe?
I really wish she had a different pose.

I mean, it's not that hard to have a practical pose (to minimise use of stands) and be different from the FE16 artwork.

:231:
A bunch of characters have reused poses
Most DLC characters in fact(I say most because I'm not sure on Lucas)
There isn't. Not his real family or something like that was pulled to avoid controversy over supporting family members.

:231:
Big, giant, probably Ridley sized Fates spoilers
Azura is their cousin
Her(evil) mother(the Nohr queen) is sister to the Hoshido queen aka your birth mother
And from what I heard, either just one of them or both ****ed the dragon Anakos and this is how Corrin got hid dragon lineage
The Hoshido siblings actually have a different mother and "I ****ed a dragon" Mom married their father
The Nohr's siblings are all children of Garon and Evil Mom so technically, they are your cousins
Tl;dr Nohr route is more incest than Hoshido is

D

Deleted member

Apparently Corrin isn't that popular.

Most people say he/she is fairly bland as a character from what I hear. Not particularly bad but not particularly great either. That's to expected though since they are a pseudo-self insert.
Ah, that makes sense. Makes sense, usually other characters in the games are more popular because the avatar characters are relitevely bland. :p

Still, I mean the game itself, and Corrin represents that game. I mean, it wasn't a juggernaut in sales, but it still did good for japan, I'd say.

But I'm not going to argue that corrin isn't promotion. :p But I will say that corrin makes the most sense for a character that's there for promotion. I mean really, Smash is a great way to get games/franchises recognized.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

...didn't we have this discussion last night? 400k in Japan is good for sales considering the lower population.
It's decent and for a game of it's budget it's a success but it's not a juggernaut.

If we're using sales as a reference for how well people know a character, then no 400K is nothing really noteworthy. Not compared to the multi-million fan base of most of the other Smash characters.

Normally, sales are just discussed in terms of "cost VS revenue", and that's how a game is deemed successful or not - for example, the Tomb Raider reboot sold millions yet was deemed a big failure due to the sheer amount of money they spent on it - but if we are talking about "using sales to determine how many people know a Smash character", then no, 400K is barely a footnote.

Did you even read what I said? Or did you just read "Inklings" "Don't get your hopes up" and angrily hit reply?

I specifically said their only chance is if they get a sequel in that timeframe, 1 year. A sequel is likely, but nothing is ever a sure thing, especially when it comes to Nintendo and newer IPs. The whole point of what I said is if for whatever reason there isn't a sequel, Inklings won't get in, they won't have the relevancy.

Also, you talk like the game awards are the most important thing ever, I seriously doubt "best shooter" matters to Nintendo. An award like that doesn't guarantee a sequel will recieve the same reception in any way.
I did read your post and it still changes nothing.

Why do they need a sequel a year from now?

And the Game Awards are important.

Having awards means your series has pedigree, and pedigree generates sales as well as a reason to continue on with a proven concept.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
You know what I just realized.

Fire Emblem Fates is essentialy Undertale.

Nohr is Genocide.

Hoshido is Pacifist.

And Revelation is Neutral. (Or if you want to put it nicely, True Pacifist)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I find it funny that even after speculation should be over, we still speculate. :p

D

Deleted member

Apparently, PitXBayonetta is a thing now
FB_IMG_14502709366917751.jpg

Smash's real purpose is for Sakurai to ship video game characters
You know what I just realized.

Fire Emblem Fates is essentialy Undertale.

Nohr is Genocide.

Hoshido is Pacifist.

And Revelation is Neutral. (Or if you want to put it nicely, True Pacifist)
HOW?
This comparison doesn't even make sense. Genocide is "you're the bad guy" route, and they don't want any of the kingdoms to be seen as evil in Fates
Or is this just because it has multiple paths? Something various games have

D

Deleted member

Smash speculation is moot now, but speculation about what games we could have in the next couple of years isn't.
I was reffering to speculation as to why characters got in(Unless one is crazy enough to think they're not done with DLC.), but yeah, true.

@Zoroarking Eh, not surprised about the shipping. :p After that trailer, that ship was bound to sail.

Last edited by a moderator:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
View attachment 87869

HOW?
This comparison doesn't even make sense. Genocide is "you're the bad guy" route, and they don't want any of the kingdoms to be seen as evil in Fates
Yeah, it's mostly because of the paths thing. I've been more wary about choice based games now since playing Undertale.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I did read your post and it still changes nothing.

Why do they need a sequel a year from now?

And the Game Awards are important.

Having awards means your series has pedigree, and pedigree generates sales as well as a reason to continue on with a proven concept.
First of all, "Over 200 Game of the Year awards" has nothing to do with the Game Awards, in 2013 when Last of Us came out and the Game Awards were the VGAs and hosted by Spike TV, it didn't even win Game of the Year.

Even ignoring that, do you see the difference between "Over 200 Game of the Year Awards" and a single "Best Shooter Award"? You should, there's a MASSIVE difference.

Also, I never said anything about a sequel a year from now, that would do literally nothing, I said a sequel needs to come out within a year of the beginning of development of Smash 5, so Splatoon can be relevant. You know, relevancy, that thing that Sakurai stressed is "most important" for a current franchise.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I find it funny that even after speculation should be over, we still speculate. :p
I'm not so much Smash speculating more than just confused about the fact people don't think Splatoon will be an ongoing franchise considering it's success and merchandising thus far.

Regarding Corrin, I'm not speculating him, he's in the game already. What I am debating though is this notion of people trying justify his inclusion through sales and popularity his game does not have.

I get it, FE fans have seen a lot of heat this iteration due to them getting so much in terms of characters and yes, one was a clone and one was a former clone that is still relatively similar to Marth. But if they want to defend Corrin, just point to his moveset.

But trying to use sales and popularity? No, they are arguments that don't apply to Corrin.

Corrin was added to the game in hopes that Smash might boost the sales and popularity of his game, not the other way around. This was flat out stated in the direct, it is objective fact and it cannot be argued. So I don't get why people even brought up past sales as a possible reason for his inclusion.

"We hope you will enjoy getting to know Corrin in the lead up to his upcoming debut in Fire Emblem: Fates"
-Masahiro Sakurai

*may not be the exact quote but he pretty much said that

First of all, "Over 200 Game of the Year awards" has nothing to do with the Game Awards, in 2013 when Last of Us came out and the Game Awards were the VGAs and hosted by Spike TV, it didn't even win Game of the Year.

Even ignoring that, do you see the difference between "Over 200 Game of the Year Awards" and a single "Best Shooter Award"? You should, there's a MASSIVE difference.

Also, I never said anything about a sequel a year from now, that would do literally nothing, I said a sequel needs to come out within a year of the beginning of development of Smash 5, so Splatoon can be relevant. You know, relevancy, that thing that Sakurai stressed is "most important" for a current franchise.
I posted TLoU as an extreme example but since you are still missing my point:

The Game Awards are a huge event that a lot of people tune in for (I mean tons of people in this very thread tuned in for it even), and people genuinely do use the awards as a reference for what games are good. Furthermore, any sort of noteworthy award is "box art material".

Splatoon beating juggernauts like Call of Duty, in two categories that are generally won by those juggernauts all of the time, is a very, very, very, very big deal. It puts it on the map, people have reason to believe it's a better game than Call of Duty in more than one aspect.

Also Splatoon does not need a sequel within a year of the beginning of Smash 5 development. :4greninja: :4corrin:

Last edited:

DarkDedede

Smash Journeyman
I'm curious to what effect the Smash Ballot had on the Mii costume choices. It seems that the characters that I've been seeing generating the most noise ended up becoming costumes.

Still, I wish the Mii fighters were a bit more fleshed out. I know I've said this before, but it would have been grand if the costumes affected the looks of the attack as well, or if we had the additional option of altering the looks of the moves.

I'm also a bit surprised they didn't make alternate costumes for the other characters in the game. Seems all the rage with the other games, these days.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
View attachment 87869

HOW?
This makes about as much sense as Samus X Ridley.

Are people just that confused about the predator/prey form of interaction that they mistake it for love?

Not that there isn't a Megamix joke comic strip on that exact topic, but.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It's funny, Bayonetta, as out of nowhere as it seemed did confirm there is some kinda standard when Sakurai mentioned on avereage she was the most popular FEASIBLE character. But he didn't mention Japan's results... What were they voting for? Characters already tied up as costumes, Assist trophies and stage elements?

Though you know something funny? Now that the character additions are over it's now easier to make Smash 5 want lists. We can get the basics real easy:

We got Wolf and Snake fulling in for the old Roles of Roy and Mewtwo.
The DLC Costumes give us a good idea of who's popular but for whatever reason didn't get the full character treatment.
Not to mention the inevitable "most recent popular character" from Pokemon and Fire Emblem, even if Sakurai was one step ahead on that this time.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I'm not so much Smash speculating more than just confused about the fact people don't think Splatoon will be an ongoing franchise considering it's success and merchandising thus far.

Regarding Corrin, I'm not speculating him, he's in the game already. What I am debating though is this notion of people trying justify his inclusion through sales and popularity his game does not have.

I get it, FE fans have seen a lot of heat this iteration due to them getting so much in terms of characters and yes, one was a clone and one was a former clone that is still relatively similar to Marth. But if they want to defend Corrin, just point to his moveset.

But trying to use sales and popularity? No, they are arguments that don't apply to Corrin.

Corrin was added to the game in hopes that Smash might boost the sales and popularity of his game, not the other way around. This was flat out stated in the direct, it is objective fact and it cannot be argued. So I don't get why people even brought up past sales as a possible reason for his inclusion.

"We hope you will enjoy getting to know Corrin in the lead up to his upcoming debut in Fire Emblem: Fates"
-Masahiro Sakurai

*may not be the exact quote but he pretty much said that

I posted TLoU as an extreme example but since you are still missing my point:

The Game Awards are a huge event that a lot of people tune in for (I mean tons of people in this very thread tuned in for it even), and people genuinely do use the awards as a reference for what games are good. Furthermore, any sort of noteworthy award is "box art material".

Splatoon beating juggernauts like Call of Duty, in two categories that are generally won by those juggernauts all of the time, is a very, very, very, very big deal. It puts it on the map, people have reason to believe it's a better game than Call of Duty in more than one aspect.

Also Splatoon does not need a sequel within a year of the beginning of Smash 5 development. :4greninja: :4corrin:
Did you read the interview? Sakurai SPECIFICALLY stated that Pokemon was the only exception to the rule because they add a new Pokemon to each game. And Corrin is irrelevant right now because DLC has its own set of rules that we don't know the specifics of yet. If you're going to ignore facts then why even engage in this discussion?

Also, if you seriously think the majority of people watch The Game Awards for anything but the new game announcements, then I don't know what to say, the actual awards are less important than you think. If you compare video game award shows to film award shows, The Game Awards are basically the People's Choice Awards or something like that, nowhere near Oscar level.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
It's funny, Bayonetta, as out of nowhere as it seemed did confirm there is some kinda standard when Sakurai mentioned on avereage she was the most popular FEASIBLE character. But he didn't mention Japan's results... What were they voting for? Characters already tied up as costumes, Assist trophies and stage elements?

Though you know something funny? Now that the character additions are over it's now easier to make Smash 5 want lists. We can get the basics real easy:

The DLC Costumes give us a good idea of who's popular but for whatever reason didn't get the full character treatment.
Not to mention the inevitable "most recent popular character" from Pokemon and Fire Emblem, even if Sakurai was one step ahead on that this time.
Honestly I see Fire Emblem getting the Star Fox treatment next time, losing characters instead of gaining them.

And then it'll cause backlash, but eh.

Inkling essentially is to 4 as Olimar was to Melee, requiring unusual means to get their trophy and being a popular title on the current system, so out of all the DLC costumes I'd say they're the safest bet.

Although if Tails made it in I would squee so hard.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Yoshi could take a page from Pikmin and Olimar and have Eggs, Eggdozers, Woolly Eggs and the like incorperated to his moveset to give a much bigger Yoshi's Island / Story feel (Adding more tongue moves would be cool too)
DK I got no clue because I don't play any DK games :drshrug:
Also
Pls don't change Kirby
He got an entire Copy Ability because of Smash Bros. (Used most recently in Kirby Dream Collection, unless it's in Triple Deluxe too but idk), and a Copy Ability eccentric moveset could probably go to someone like Gooey :4pacman:
Plz don't change Yoshi, he is finally perfection.

Kirby didn't gain a copy ability because of Smash Bros. He's had that since NES.

Last edited:

Fire Rider

Super Smash Gladiator
In terms of ranking for who's safe it's pretty much this

1. :4sonic:(veteran status)
  2. :4megaman:
  3. :4bayonetta:
  4. :4pacman: (Situational if Namco is still part of development)
  5. :4ryu:
  6. :4cloud:
  7. :snake: (lol he's done for. RIP Solid Sneak)
Agree with Sonic and Bayo are firsts places, but Ryu appears in more crossover games than Megaman like UMVC or Project X who is one of the protagonist.
The situation with Megaman was similar to Snake before I don't have much confidence of their return.
Cloud is harder as Snake.

I don't really mind a new Smash soon could be better do Smash for NX without cuts and adding more Content of veterans and newcommers.
If we have a new smash maybe we'll have to wait 5 years more, maybe with the successor of NX.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace

A lot of people in Japan wanted Goemon from what I've personally seen.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Did you read the interview? Sakurai SPECIFICALLY stated that Pokemon was the only exception to the rule because they add a new Pokemon to each game. And Corrin is irrelevant right now because DLC has its own set of rules that we don't know the specifics of yet. If you're going to ignore facts then why even engage in this discussion?

Also, if you seriously think the majority of people watch The Game Awards for anything but the new game announcements, then I don't know what to say, the actual awards are less important than you think. If you compare video game award shows to film award shows, The Game Awards are basically the People's Choice Awards or something like that, nowhere near Oscar level.
A) They had no knowledge that Greninja specifically would or could catch on as popular when they started making him so he does still apply to my point.
B) You make the assumption the next Smash game would not do DLC and not to mention that Inklings themselves actually would have been a more fitting choice than Corrin, proving that any rule you have about the Inklings can't be applied to next Smash.
C) The Game Awards have enough importance to be used as box art material when a game series wins an award. Some people watch for the game announcements but people like myself are actually interested in them as they are a big part of the gaming culture no matter how you slice it.

---------

In terms of likely returns of third parties, the initial batch and Ryu will probably stay but I don't think Cloud and Bayo will.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
With Smash DLC and, oddly enough, Lego Dimensions I got to thinking. Companies love this pay or content separately thing for crossovers as it makes the price negotiations WAY easier. The companies just get their cut from their own individual content not a percentage of the overall thing. I wouldn't hesitate to say that's why all the movie characters in MKX are DLC too. "Allowing people to preserve the feel of the original game by making them optional"? All marketing speak.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I'm complaining about Sakurai character choices since Cloud.
So I decided to build my 58 Smash4 roster and is quite close to Sakurai's result.
I'ill post it soon (it's nice, remind me of the prediction roster days).

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
InB4 someone freaks out about us already talking Smash 5.

I think the only obvious choices are Inkling and then current gen Pokemon but there's still a lot to choose from

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326

What basis is there for this assertion? We have several characters already with only one game, and some weren't even that old when their inclusions were announced.

The only thing I've learned about Smash speculation is it's utterly pointless. We're trying to use logic to guess the whims of a man who actively goes out of his way to surprise his fans, even resorting to going directly against his own words. I can't even count the number of times the 'marketing theory' was panned because 'Smash isn't a marketing tool,' and look what happened.

I also think you're really, really underestimating the success of Splatoon as a brand new IP for Nintendo. You can't hold up a totally original game to the likes of Zelda or Mario and expect it to sell just as well in its first offering... but that's beside the point.

Explain what, exactly? That page just blanks out the text and wants me to take a survey before I can read anything. Am I to take this for a credible site, or should I start my virus scans now?

Actually, before you answer that... are you trolling, or are you legitimately convinced that Smash for Nintendo 64 came out before the games on NES and SNES demonstrating Kirby's copy ability?

Last edited:

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
A) They had no knowledge that Greninja specifically would or could catch on as popular when they started making him so he does still apply to my point.
B) You make the assumption the next Smash game would not do DLC and not to mention that Inklings themselves actually would have been a more fitting choice than Corrin, proving that any rule you have about the Inklings can't be applied to next Smash.
C) The Game Awards have enough importance to be used as box art material when a game series wins an award. Some people watch for the game announcements but people like myself are actually interested in them as they are a big part of the gaming culture no matter how you slice it.

---------

In terms of likely returns of third parties, the initial batch and Ryu will probably stay but I don't think Cloud and Bayo will.
A) If you would actually read the interview Sakurai says Robin made it into the game because of relevancy, if the game had come out more than six month before or after Smash 4 started development, Robin woild have been left out, he says this is true for any character in a current franchise, then he goes on to say that Greninja and Pokemon are specifically an exception. So no, Greninja does not support your argument, far from it.

B) I'm talking about the BASE ROSTER, DLC as a whole is not relevant to what I'm saying. If another ballot happens and Inklings win or Splatoon 2 comes out during the DLC process and they get in then more power to them, but my actual point still stands.

C) Show me a game cover that specifically uses an award from the Game Awards. Specifically.

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
I'm 99% certain that Inklings were reserved for Smash 5. Mega Man was 4's big ticket seller. Who's it going to be for 5? Who else is a hype-enough newcomer to garner that much attention?

I'm frankly surprised Ryu or Cloud didn't have to wait that long, either of them would've been a match by then.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
What basis is there for this assertion? We have several characters already with only one game, and some weren't even that old when their inclusions were announced.

The only thing I've learned about Smash speculation is it's utterly pointless. We're trying to use logic to guess the whims of a man who actively goes out of his way to surprise his fans, even resorting to going directly against his own words. I can't even count the number of times the 'marketing theory' was panned because 'Smash isn't a marketing tool,' and look what happened.

I also think you're really, really underestimating the success of Splatoon as a brand new IP for Nintendo. You can't hold up a totally original game to the likes of Zelda or Mario and expect it to sell just as well in its first offering... but that's beside the point.

Explain what, exactly? That page just blanks out the text and wants me to take a survey before I can read anything. Am I to take this for a credible site, or should I start my virus scans now?

Actually, before you answer that... are you trolling, or are you legitimately convinced that Smash for Nintendo 64 came out before the games on NES and SNES demonstrating Kirby's copy ability?
I think they meant the Smash moveset ability.

Also, about the Inklings, you're all going on about "speculation" and "false logic", I'm talking about an ACTUAL QUOTE from Sakurai about relevancy. You guys need to realize that you're the ones speculating without any actual evidence.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
InB4 someone freaks out about us already talking Smash 5.

I think the only obvious choices are Inkling and then current gen Pokemon but there's still a lot to choose from
Yeah, pretty much. Most "shoo-ins" are anything but.

I can make a pool of candidates I THINK are more likely than the usual suggests, but I'm not the most reliable at predicting characters due to how inside the box I think.

Well, except Pauline over Cranky Kong as a fifth DK rep, but that's just because most "Donkey Kong fans" refuse to admit they only care about DKC.

My subconscious has a better track record than my conscious. I started having fanfic visions of Greninja and Dark Pit in a Smash context months before they were respectively revealed while only expecting them to be a Pokeball Pokemon and an alternate character costume respectively in my rational thoughts.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Also, about the Inklings, you're all going on about "speculation" and "false logic", I'm talking about an ACTUAL QUOTE from Sakurai about relevancy. You guys need to realize that you're the ones speculating without any actual evidence.
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/12/13/sakurai-fe25/

"Yes, that was the case. For example, if Awakening was released six months later, Robin may not have made it in"

You are exaggerating his statement not quoting it.

He said Robin would have been less likely to be included, not that he definitely wouldn't have been. The fact that his game did well was an extra reason to include him.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
But speaking of Smash 5 I don't think that they can keep adding more characters each game unless they change their distribution method. If they did something like Killer instinct or Street Fighter 5 then they could start with a manageable roster as they work on new characters and mechanics and one that's solidified they could bring back the enormous back catalogue of characters.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
This makes about as much sense as Samus X Ridley.

Are people just that confused about the predator/prey form of interaction that they mistake it for love?

Not that there isn't a Megamix joke comic strip on that exact topic, but.
Think about how much of a dominant flirtatious woman Bayonetta is and the naive submissive punk Pit is?

Makes more sense than most Smash parings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom