• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Marin is ok. Staven or gtfo
No u r ok
And who the **** is Staven
Do you feel that Lucario never actually gained a fandom?
If the Smash fanbase went outside their speculation bubble and looked at the Pokemon fanbase, they would realize that Lucario is an actually popular Pokemkn
But, you know, we're talking about the Smash fanbase and I could give an example or two but people would think I'm just hating for no reason

Perikong M.TurtleBits

Smash Rookie
NNID
PeriInTheFamily
If Marin can get in I don't see why Groose can't be on HW as well, he's popular and one of my favorite Zelda characters. He could use his loftwing or the Groosenator to attack. Well at least a Phantom Hourglass DLC pack has been confirmed which means Linebeck is most likely coming.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
No u r ok
And who the **** is Staven

If the Smash fanbase went outside their speculation bubble and looked at the Pokemon fanbase, they would realize that Lucario is an actually popular Pokemkn
But, you know, we're talking about the Smash fanbase and I could give an example or two but people would think I'm just hating for no reason
I keep forgetting Spirit Tracks' European localization team changed the names. Byrne I think it was? He's Staven in Europe

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
All this Niko the Pirate love makes me wish he was in Smash
I even made a moveset for the lil swabby!

B: Pirate's Test
A rope appears, hanging from the blast zone.
Niko can hold onto it and climb into it, and he can even swing around for a while.
This damages opponents who touch the lantern at the bottom of the rope

If you jump off the ropes, Niko will perform a laggy roll attack when he lands.
Be careful though, if you swing too fast, Niko gets stuck in the ropes wide open for enemy attacks.

Side B: Bombs Away!
Niko tosses a bomb forward.
Throwing it in the rope's lantern causes the lantern to burn off and explode for extreme knockback, instead of the weaker knockback the bomb would normally cause

Up B: Cannon Launch
Niko suddenly finds himself in a cannon, which launches Niko straight up

Down B: Great Hurricane Spin Attack
Niko takes out his dagger and spins around while moving.
A very powerful attack, but very laggy as Niko is stunned after he performs it at the highest charge level

D

Deleted member

I keep forgetting Spirit Tracks' European localization team changed the names. Byrne I think it was? He's Staven in Europe
Why would they change it? I get that names usually change when localized from Japan but why have different names between America and Europe?
It's gonna be a mess if NoE decides to change the Fates localized names
Also, Staven is a really dumb name

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Why would they change it? I get that names usually change when localized from Japan but why have different names between America and Europe?
It's gonna be a mess if NoE decides to change the Fates localized names
Also, Staven is a really dumb name
Dumb name for a dumb character

Spirit Tracks has plenty of dumb names.
Almost all of the Lokomo's names are train parts spelled wrong

Last edited:

Tom13

Smash Apprentice
How do I even download Medli in Hyrule Warriors Legends? I can't find her on the Extras section.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
How do I even download Medli in Hyrule Warriors Legends? I can't find her on the Extras section.
You are a month and some days early. She'll be out by the end of May.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Like many, Links Awakening was one of my first Zelda games. Took me a while to beat too, as an 8 year old.

Great to see Marin return. If the Zelda lore wasnt so all over the place, I'd be hopeful for her return to the series bit it is v. unlikely.

D

Deleted member

I never got to see any of Lute's supports on my first playthrough but now that I'm using Artur I can see one of her chains
Lute was already one of my favorites but these supports only make my opinion on her better
1997 - Fire Emblem - The Sacred Stones (U)(TrashMan)_1459085195285.png

She has some weird tastes though...

1997 - Fire Emblem - The Sacred Stones (U)(TrashMan)_1459085207507.png

I want Lute to rip me apart with her magic

1997 - Fire Emblem - The Sacred Stones (U)(TrashMan)_1459085228418.png

And, new reaction pic

Also, I already managed to grind Amelia to Lv.7
All thanks to a Priest and an Archer I cornered
The Archer is self explanatory but the Priest had a Physic so he kept healing the archer and since she gets about 40 Exp per battle...

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
@Coricus The original starters were posted to 4chan late last night, so here you go:
1459046821804s.jpg

I also saw this hilarious image:

And GilvaSunner has reached a new high!

And that's marin's base weapon? That's a pretty cool choice.

D

Deleted member

What the **** just happened in Jojo Part 3's Episode 22?
I'm as confused as Polnareff was
@Coricus The original starters were posted to 4chan late last night, so here you go:
View attachment 101700

I also saw this hilarious image:

And GilvaSunner has reached a new high!

And that's marin's base weapon? That's a pretty cool choice.
The Grass one looks like he wants to die so his meaningless life in this world will end already
I can relate

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Am kind of surprised there isn't a female Link yet based on that picture. I think it'd be pretty cool if Nintendo starting putting twists on old concepts like a lot of entertainment outlets are doing these days.
...Linkle is the female Link. What more do you want, exactly?

It's not as if I yet have my sexy male Hyrulian Prince to go rescue. Still waiting on Zeldo.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
There's no accounting for personal preference, but how exactly are they poorly designed Digimon ripoffs?

And what would you consider to be a properly designed "cool" Pokemon?

And the implication here is that you think that Lucario didn't catch on. Do you feel that Lucario never actually gained a fandom?
I think Lucario's "popularity" is a lot like Stockholm Syndrome, it's sort of been forced on Pokemon fans so much that we've just had to accept it. It has the illusion of being more popular than it is because Nintendo and Gamefreak push it as hard as they do. I actually think Pikachu is in the same situation, since most people I've talked to just view it as a thing that's there and unavoidable.

Pikachu is the forced "cute" mascot and Lucario is the forced "cool" mascot, they both have inflated "popularity" because they're the mascots.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

The Grass one looks like he wants to die so his meaningless life in this world will end already
I can relate
Avdol simply got knocked unconscious by Hol Horse's Emperor, making fans get really upset. Araki was so surprised, he changed his plan on Hol Horse becoming a good guy to replace Avdol to pretending Avdol never got killed. In the anime, you see Avdol's head pull back, so it adds up

D

Deleted member

I think Lucario's "popularity" is a lot like Stockholm Syndrome, it's sort of been forced on Pokemon fans so much that we've just had to accept it. It has the illusion of being more popular than it is because Nintendo and Gamefreak push it as hard as they do. I actually think Pikachu is in the same situation, since most people I've talked to just view it as a thing that's there and unavoidable.

Pikachu is the forced "cute" mascot and Lucario is the forced "cool" mascot, they both have inflated "popularity" because they're the mascots.
Or you could just accept that he's popular without trying to come up with some convoluted theory that says fans don't actually like him
Avdol simply got knocked unconscious by Hol Horse's Emperor, making fans get really upset. Araki was so surprised, he changed his plan on Hol Horse becoming a good guy to replace Avdol to pretending Avdol never got killed. In the anime, you see Avdol's head pull back, so it adds up
I wouldn't have minded Hol Horse becoming one of the good guys but I doubt the group would be able to accept him if he really had killed Avdol
I'm happy that Avdol is alive though, even if it's one hell of a retcon

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was going to wake up at 11 to watch the new TMNT because it has the 80's turtles in it

But, it's available on the website

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Or you could just accept that he's popular without trying to come up with some convoluted theory that says fans don't actually like him

I wouldn't have minded Hol Horse becoming one of the good guys but I doubt the group would be able to accept him if he really had killed Avdol
Avdol is pretty much Shadow the hedgehog in that regard. Wait...Kakyoin's Seiyuu also did Shadow!

tbh that's not really the case. I've got no opinion other than 'meh' of Lucario yet I liked the stuff Lucario was getting pushed by. I liked Brawl, the movie, Megas, etc. yet don't care about Lucario

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Still, this is Jojo. While it is a retcon I could argue that JBA is so insane that I could see something as stupid as that being logical.

I mean, hell, this is the same franchise that gave us Heavy Weather.
You'll never look at snails the same way again. ...Or jazz bands for that matter.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

It's not forced when they got to that stage because they were popular from the get go.

They appeared in games as just another Pokémon, and proved to be the most popular ones of that gen. Then they continue to use them for marketing and merchandise as they have a guaranteed selling potential and proven track record, and other attempts at making cool Pokémon didn't go down as well (like Zoroark).

Forced would imply they are being used and marketed despite nobody really liking them or they had no real appeal, when that's not the case.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Still, this is Jojo. While it is a retcon I could argue that JBA is so insane that I could see something as stupid as that being logical.

I mean, hell, this is the same franchise that gave us Heavy Weather.
You'll never look at snails the same way again. ...Or jazz bands for that matter.
That and Red Hot Chili Pepper plus all ththe stands in Part 5

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

I can relate
Lol that's what was said when I posted it awhile back. they match the ones describe in the rumor I posted yesterday and were posted awhile ago, stating they were the starters. If drawn better, thy could be cool.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
So Marin is the Link's Awakening rep in Super Zelda Bros., eh? (not surprising since there weren't many other notable characters in Link's Awakening). She is really purtty I must say.

I love it moar than her Link's Awakening artwork & Melee trophy.

Also, some Medli screenshots in action were shown yesterday:

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It's not forced when they got to that stage because they were popular from the get go.

They appeared in games as just another Pokémon, and proved to be the most popular ones of that gen. Then they continue to use them for marketing and merchandise as they have a guaranteed selling potential and proven track record, and other attempts at making cool Pokémon didn't go down as well (like Zoroark).

Forced would imply they are being used and marketed despite nobody really liking them or they had no real appeal, when that's not the case.
Pikachu, Charizard, and Lucario were all rather synchronistic in their rise to fame.

Pikachu barely beat out Clefairy as the protagonist partner of Red, and that choice led to Ash having Pikachu, and thusly his identifiability, and so his fame. Lucario was not popular when gen 4 released, he was popular only after he was given a starring role in a movie, forced as a choice by Gamefreak who specifically chooses whom to market and has for some time.
Charizard was lucky that Red and Green were the first launch titles in Japan, and not Red and Blue, wherein Blastoise would have exceeded sales as it did in the US (as parents tended to choose Charizard over Venasaur for their male sons), and that would have lead to a powerful Blastoise TCG card instead of Charizard, which then would have made Blastoise the anime selection to showcase evolution.
It's really always down to the anime what is popular with Pokemon.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Hoopcanion.png

This is probably fake, but whether it's suppose to be a fusion between hoop and volcanion, a new form for either, or even ew legendary. It looks pretty nice. Also works as it looks like the anistar city sun dial.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Pikachu, Charizard, and Lucario were all rather synchronistic in their rise to fame.

Pikachu barely beat out Clefairy as the protagonist partner of Red, and that choice led to Ash having Pikachu, and thusly his identifiability, and so his fame. Lucario was not popular when gen 4 released, he was popular only after he was given a starring role in a movie, forced as a choice by Gamefreak who specifically chooses whom to market and has for some time.
Charizard was lucky that Red and Green were the first launch titles in Japan, and not Red and Blue, wherein Blastoise would have exceeded sales as it did in the US (as parents tended to choose Charizard over Venasaur for their male sons), and that would have lead to a powerful Blastoise TCG card instead of Charizard, which then would have made Blastoise the anime selection to showcase evolution.
It's really always down to the anime what is popular with Pokemon.
None of that is forced though.

Those Pokémon were just better utilised than others, and had more potential to work with.

A lot of this doesn't exactly have any proof either and is just speculation.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Ok...one thing about Hyrule Warriors that is frustrating me to no end...All these goddam interruptions!! It's like they took it straight from Navi or something...

I'm in the middle of fighting Volga or something then, 'Side Mission Start'...Like holy crap man I'm busy...

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Lucario was not popular when gen 4 released, he was popular only after he was given a starring role in a movie
Except Lucario and the Mystery of Mew released a year before Diamond and Pearl released in Japan and 7/8 months before DP released in the West.
P:LMM release: July 2005 (JP), September 2006 (West)
Gen IV release: September 2006 (JP), April 2007 (West)
So the whole "Not popular when Gen 4 released" statement is contradictory to your "popular after having a starring role" statement.

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-

IT'S WALUIGI TIME

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
View attachment 101719
This is probably fake, but whether it's suppose to be a fusion between hoop and volcanion, a new form for either, or even ew legendary. It looks pretty nice. Also works as it looks like the anistar city sun dial.
You think that looks nice? It looks even more like a Digimon than the Pokemon I tend to complain about. It looks busy for the sake of being busy.

I'm one of the people who actually does like Mega Evolution, whether it's stolen from Digimon or not, but one thing that I liked about the differences between the 2 franchises was the designs, Pokemon always had more simple designs and Digimon designs tended to be monstrosities with spikes and things for no reason. They're each fine on their own, but I don't want the 2 design philosophies to get muddled together.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I never got to see any of Lute's supports on my first playthrough but now that I'm using Artur I can see one of her chains
Lute was already one of my favorites but these supports only make my opinion on her better
View attachment 101688
She has some weird tastes though...

View attachment 101689
I want Lute to rip me apart with her magic

View attachment 101690

And, new reaction pic

Also, I already managed to grind Amelia to Lv.7
All thanks to a Priest and an Archer I cornered
The Archer is self explanatory but the Priest had a Physic so he kept healing the archer and since she gets about 40 Exp per battle...
Oh yeah, Lute is one of my favorites.

He was only brought back because of fan demand funnily enough, Araki was completely planning on him dying.

Burruni

Smash Hero

IT'S WALUIGI TIME
I don't know what I want more from this trailer.
Waluigi playable.
Or Luigi with that alternative outfit.

_Silver_

I don't even know anymore.
NNID
coffeeman65
3DS FC
1349-8695-1576

IT'S WALUIGI TIME
Nobody cheats better than him.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Good to see Wal getting some love even if it's in the form of a fan game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom