• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash World Tournaments (S.S.W.T)

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Yes, that's one of the things we are working on.
I think in an ideal world we would be able to put money on the card and use it to register for tournaments. But the biggest hindrance I see with that is the threat of people stealing cards. So as long as their is a verification process, so I have to produce a picture ID or something. That way even if someone steals my card, the name on the card won't match their identity.

CEObrainz

Smash Cadet
NNID
CEObrainz
I think in an ideal world we would be able to put money on the card and use it to register for tournaments. But the biggest hindrance I see with that is the threat of people stealing cards. So as long as their is a verification process, so I have to produce a picture ID or something. That way even if someone steals my card, the name on the card won't match their identity.

If we supply sufficient security the probability of someone succeeding at using another persons card will be null. However having to produce picture ID in itself can be a hindrance, especially if the person in question is too young to need to carry ID. Therefore if a users smart card links to a picture of the user in our database, similar to a biometric passport, then we can assure that it's unlikely for anything like that to happen.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
What would that security look like? Lets say I attend a tournament and have registered and all that and I accidentally drop my Smash Card. A bad person finds it and uses it at another tournament. How does that other TO verify that he is the rightful owner of the smash card?

CEObrainz

Smash Cadet
NNID
CEObrainz
What would that security look like? Lets say I attend a tournament and have registered and all that and I accidentally drop my Smash Card. A bad person finds it and uses it at another tournament. How does that other TO verify that he is the rightful owner of the smash card?

When the card is scanned, on the screen where the TO can select what tournaments the player can enter, an image of the person will appear on screen, using this the TO would hopefully be able to see that the card doesn't belong to the thief. As well as that, if you report the card lost or stolen, we will just deactivate the card from our side or add a special flag on our database, so whenever it is scanned again, the TO will be told to confiscate the card and either destroy it or return it to us.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
How does SSWT get a photo of the owner of the Smash Card? I would assume you would get one at time of registration, but what about those people who do not have a photo of themselves? Will they not be allowed to get a smash card?

CEObrainz

Smash Cadet
NNID
CEObrainz
How does SSWT get a photo of the owner of the Smash Card? I would assume you would get one at time of registration, but what about those people who do not have a photo of themselves? Will they not be allowed to get a smash card?

A photo of yourself would be required for registration. Nowadays it isn't that hard to get a photo of yourself, were not asking for a perfect picture, just something that can be used to identify you.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
So those who are unwilling or unable to provide a photo will not be allowed to register for SSWT? I just want to clarify I am understanding that correctly.

CEObrainz

Smash Cadet
NNID
CEObrainz
So those who are unwilling or unable to provide a photo will not be allowed to register for SSWT? I just want to clarify I am understanding that correctly.

If they are unwilling to provide a photo then they will need to provide ID or some other proof that they are who they claim to be. It would be unwise to reject those who can't or really don't want to provide an picture.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Can we update our photos? If so, would it cost money to do so or is it like a mandatory 1 month update thing?

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
If they are unwilling to provide a photo then they will need to provide ID or some other proof that they are who they claim to be. It would be unwise to reject those who can't or really don't want to provide an picture.
So for those that are unwilling or unable to submit a photo at time of registration, they will have to provide one at the tournament they attend, at least if they wish to utilize the features of SSWT?

CEObrainz

Smash Cadet
NNID
CEObrainz
Can we update our photos? If so, would it cost money to do so or is it like a mandatory 1 month update thing?

A person won't be required to update their image after the first time and can do it for free. Pictures should be up-datable with a limit of perhaps 2 updates every 4 months.

CEObrainz

Smash Cadet
NNID
CEObrainz
So for those that are unwilling or unable to submit a photo at time of registration, they will have to provide one at the tournament they attend, at least if they wish to utilize the features of SSWT?

Anything that can confirm their name and is official, such as a learners permit. If the card/document has a picture than it speeds up confirmation for the TO.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
So a kid that is around the age of 13 or 14 that doesn't have access to an official ID and is not able to upload a picture would be out of luck? Or maybe require a parent or guardian there?

CEObrainz

Smash Cadet
NNID
CEObrainz
So a kid that is around the age of 13 or 14 that doesn't have access to an official ID and is not able to upload a picture would be out of luck? Or maybe require a parent or guardian there?

Unfortunately I don't see a way where the kid would be able to enter a tournament, unless a parent or guardian was there. If a solution does however appear, we will quickly adapt it to our system as it would be best to maximise the amount of potential players that would like to use the system.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Wait, what is the age you have to be to enter a tournament? Also, would you charge to deactivate a card, or only to replace it?

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I don't think he is suggesting an age limit on any tournaments, but that in order to have a solid verification every player using SSWT needs to either have uploaded a picture when they register with SSWT or provide one when the player is entering the tournament. Typically 13 or 14 years don't have an official picture ID, so if they can't produce a type of picture ID, SSWT can't verify that they are the true owner of the Smash Card they are trying to use.

CEObrainz

Smash Cadet
NNID
CEObrainz
Wait, what is the age you have to be to enter a tournament? Also, would you charge to deactivate a card, or only to replace it?

There is no minimum age for tournaments in general unless specified by the tournament organizer of that specific event. Deactivation requires no charge only replacement would.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698

Interesting. So kinda like a smash bank, basically. I would like an option to cancel a card in case it was stolen. (My wallet was stolen before and so I had to do the same with my debit card)

Also can't kids just use their school ID's then? Or maybe you could set up some process where you guys can take a picture personally (while taking a school ID I guess, or having some document that he would have to sign, or a parent)

Snip -nevermind they can just use a photo. :3

Personally, I think the biggest hindrance is going to be the number of people that use this service. If its free for the players, then I see a lot of people using it. But the moment it costs the players, you will only see the dedicated ones using it. What good are the cards if only 5% of the smash community has these?
I guess you could have cards that are for free-users, and have a membership that gives more features for the 'dedicated' ones.

EDIT: I guess you already thought about that later on. Sorry, still reading. xD

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Interesting. So kinda like a smash bank, basically. I would like an option to cancel a card in case it was stolen. (My wallet was stolen before and so I had to do the same with my debit card)

Also can't kids just use their school ID's then? Or maybe you could set up some process where you guys can take a picture personally (while taking a school ID I guess, or having some document that he would have to sign, or a parent)

Snip -nevermind they can just use a photo. :3

I guess you could have cards that are for free-users, and have a membership that gives more features for the 'dedicated' ones.

EDIT: I guess you already thought about that later on. Sorry, still reading. xD
This is all great stuff. Yeah, I would think you could report a lost/stolen card similar to a debit or credit card. And then they would assign you another one.

Obviously all this could change because they haven't launched the software yet. But I'm sure they love all the ideas!

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Is this gonna be smash 4 exlusive?

CEObrainz

Smash Cadet
NNID
CEObrainz
So, with all this Apex 2014 Hype that is starting to go around, would anyone be excited to use SSWT in January?

Doomolish

Smash Journeyman
I'm a mexican TO and I've looked for support for a long time now. This seems great for the mexican community. If everything it's done right, you might see Javi at it's best.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I think the idea has been changed. There is another group of guys who are creating a database system to collect information for Smash.

CEObrainz

Smash Cadet
NNID
CEObrainz
Things have been delayed, but the idea is still there. We aren't really advertising, however we have a Facebook, Google+ and Twitter account.

Top Bottom