• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash World Tournaments (S.S.W.T)

SSWT-Rose

Smash Rookie
Ok so I've moved this thread just because it was in the wrong area after some helpful advice in terms of where it was placed to begin with.

Hello members of Smashboards forums. I'm SSWT-Rose and I'm a representative of a new idea in the making called Super Smash World Tournaments (or S.S.W.T for short.) This idea intends to create a solid infrastructure in the Smash Competitive Community by supporting existing Tournament Organisers and Players as well as helping new players into the Smash Community.

How so you ask? We intend to fulfill these goals by providing funding to existing tournament organisers, so that they can improve the running of their own tournaments whilst introducing a card system that we intend to implement to Tournament Organisers who choose to accept funding from us.

These cards will display various information about players from tournament results to fun things such as the character they've played who has taken the most damage overall.

Well that's it from me. If you have any questions regarding this idea, please do not hesitate to leave a post below and check out our website as well as check out our Facebook page to receive updates regarding this idea as soon as possible. Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Super-Smash-World-Tournaments/145456835620454

Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/SSWTournaments

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
This idea looks curious, how will these cards work, and how wont it be a pain in TO's butts to run? Will it cost me anything?

BUT as a fair warning for rules on the site:

4. No Blatant Advertising
Advertising web sites, goods, or services via Smashboards (including through posts, threads, private messages, signatures, social groups, and other methods) as well as competitor web sites are prohibited. Accounts that are created solely for the purpose of advertising will be banned indefinitely.
Exceptions to this rule include links that are clearly and materially related to the topic at hand; for example, posting a link to a pre-registration page for a tournament is acceptable, as is linking to a personal site featuring one's artwork in a relevant thread. Nothing may be sold through Smash World Forums without explicit permission from Forum Support. If in doubt about whether some content is permissible under this rule, please leave a message in Forum Support.
  • Advertising Violation, minor - 2 points, 14 days
  • Advertising Violation, major - Indefinite ban, subject to administrator's discretion

So who knows if your post can stay or not, figured it's worth mentioning.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
This idea looks curious, how will these cards work, and how wont it be a pain in TO's butts to run? Will it cost me anything?

BUT as a fair warning for rules on the site:

4. No Blatant Advertising
Advertising web sites, goods, or services via Smashboards (including through posts, threads, private messages, signatures, social groups, and other methods) as well as competitor web sites are prohibited. Accounts that are created solely for the purpose of advertising will be banned indefinitely.
Exceptions to this rule include links that are clearly and materially related to the topic at hand; for example, posting a link to a pre-registration page for a tournament is acceptable, as is linking to a personal site featuring one's artwork in a relevant thread. Nothing may be sold through Smash World Forums without explicit permission from Forum Support. If in doubt about whether some content is permissible under this rule, please leave a message in Forum Support.
  • Advertising Violation, minor - 2 points, 14 days
  • Advertising Violation, major - Indefinite ban, subject to administrator's discretion

So who knows if your post can stay or not, figured it's worth mentioning.
Yes and no. The exception to the rule is that the links are related to topic at hand. This technically is the topic at hand: Tournaments. They aren't vying for people to move away from Smash Boards. I think they should definitely get it cleared through the Mods first. But I don't see a straight violation.

The major question for anyone interested in using this service, is by what means does SSWT get their funding? Is there a monthly subscription for the card holders? Is it by some anonymous donor? You mention that you want to help fund organizers, so that would tell me that TOs don't have to pay anything to use the service. How will the level of funding be calculated? How will you verify the information of the TOs? I could run a psuedo-tournament and get your help funding it, then make off with the money, no?

I absolutely love the idea, and in fact I thought about getting something similar launched off the ground, but I don't have the time nor the means. Here's to hoping you can get it working!

Personally, I think the biggest hindrance is going to be the number of people that use this service. If its free for the players, then I see a lot of people using it. But the moment it costs the players, you will only see the dedicated ones using it. What good are the cards if only 5% of the smash community has these?

Just some questions that ran across my mind.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Man I'd probably cave in and pay a few bucks for one of them cards.
Whip it out and be all like "Dakota Bonez, licensed to SMASH!"

Someone's gotta make an app for designing those. Might I ask how you designed yours? Sheer artistic talent I presume?

CEObrainz

Smash Cadet
NNID
CEObrainz

The cards serve as your identity and as a method for tournament payment. They can be used to even pay for tournaments in advance, although of course If you don't show up or the event is cancelled you would be refunded. The software used will most likely be a modified version of TIO system that is in common use, therefore it wouldn't really be a pain to use. To get the card you will need to pay postage fee, as it would be a bad practice to give them out for free as people may abuse the system and try to order as many as they want. The fee will not be expensive and may vary depending on your location.

The major question for anyone interested in using this service, is by what means does SSWT get their funding? Is there a monthly subscription for the card holders? Is it by some anonymous donor? You mention that you want to help fund organizers, so that would tell me that TO's don't have to pay anything to use the service. How will the level of funding be calculated? How will you verify the information of the TO's? I could run a pseudo-tournament and get your help funding it, then make off with the money, no?

I absolutely love the idea, and in fact I thought about getting something similar launched off the ground, but I don't have the time nor the means. Here's to hoping you can get it working!

Personally, I think the biggest hindrance is going to be the number of people that use this service. If its free for the players, then I see a lot of people using it. But the moment it costs the players, you will only see the dedicated ones using it. What good are the cards if only 5% of the smash community has these?

Just some questions that ran across my mind.
There won't be a monthly subscription for card holders. Funding for TO's is only if they need it, otherwise they will just receive the software, card readers and any other equipment that is needed. The system will deduct a smallish percentage from the total made from an event and that will go to SSWT. The rest is for the TO to use. Also TO's would need to sign a sort of contract to ensure that all terms are met fairly. At this time, funding is something that I can't discuss yet however I can say that we won't be looking for too much to start things off.

I think people will be willing to pay a fee of say $10 for postage then perhaps half of that goes back onto the card, just as a guarantee that the person ordering the card actually wants to use it.

Man I'd probably cave in and pay a few bucks for one of them cards.
Whip it out and be all like "Dakota Bonez, licensed to SMASH!"

Someone's gotta make an app for designing those. Might I ask how you designed yours? Sheer artistic talent I presume?
We have an artist on our team who does most if not all the design work for us.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
There won't be a monthly subscription for card holders. Funding for TO's is only if they need it, otherwise they will just receive the software, card readers and any other equipment that is needed. The system will deduct a smallish percentage from the total made from an event and that will go to SSWT. The rest is for the TO to use. Also TO's would need to sign a sort of contract to ensure that all terms are met fairly. At this time, funding is something that I can't discuss yet however I can say that we won't be looking for too much to start things off.

I think people will be willing to pay a fee of say $10 for postage then perhaps half of that goes back onto the card, just as a guarantee that the person ordering the card actually wants to use it.
If there's not monthly subscription and its only $10 bucks I would definitely get it!

How would you track cash sales for entrants into tournaments? Do you collect a % off of only the entry fees, or if any merchandise is sold, do you collect % off of that as well?

If I rent a place for $100 bucks and $200 of revenue is generated in entrant fees, $50 bucks is given in prizes, do you take the % off of the $200 (gross) or take a % off of the $50 (profit)?

Also, will there be a Paypal option if I choose to donate to this cause?

Edit: One more question came to mind: Do you require a certain size tournament before assistance from SSWT? If so, do you have any idea on the size?

CEObrainz

Smash Cadet
NNID
CEObrainz
If there's not monthly subscription and its only $10 bucks I would definitely get it!

How would you track cash sales for entrants into tournaments? Do you collect a % off of only the entry fees, or if any merchandise is sold, do you collect % off of that as well?

If I rent a place for $100 bucks and $200 of revenue is generated in entrant fees, $50 bucks is given in prizes, do you take the % off of the $200 (gross) or take a % off of the $50 (profit)?

Also, will there be a Paypal option if I choose to donate to this cause?

Edit: One more question came to mind: Do you require a certain size tournament before assistance from SSWT? If so, do you have any idea on the size?

Using the TIO program as an example, every entrant acts as a payment made, whether cash or on-line, therefore it would be no problem to track sales. The percentage we take off would be from the gross amount made, however at the TO's discretion we may arrange something different.

The requirements to qualify for this system are friendly, meaning that any person that can prove that they won't end up losing money using this system will most likely be allowed to use the card system. However this may change in the future.

As regards to donations we are thinking of of using Kick-Starter as a means to collecting the funds we need. However we may also accept Pay-Pal donations using similar rewards to our Kick-Starter campaign.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Seeing as though you will be assisting with funding, you will no doubt have to have strict qualifications. You mention that the event just can't lose money, in order to use the card system.

But how can you verify that a tournament won't lose money? Let's say I have a tournament and 30 people are planning on coming. At $10 per entrant that's $300 with $100 for the venue, and $50 in prizes (purely as an example). As of now, all 30 people are claiming they are coming. This and that happen and only 14 people actually show/enter the tournament. $140 in revenue is generated. Because of the failure in the players to show up, this tournament is now losing money.

Will you assist in the organization of said tournaments, or simply be the "Card Handler" for tournaments that choose to use your service?

Have you ever heard of the USFTL? Its essentially a United States Flag and Touch Football (not soccer) League Organization. While they don't organize each and every tournament, you can get your tournaments "sanctioned" by this league. The USFTL does hold a national tournament in Florida every year, but only the teams (in our case it could be teams or just players) that have earned enough points through sanctioned tournaments are allowed to come.

They keep a strict record of all the players/teams (as you would through your card database). This is how` the huge national tournaments are done through the USFTL which is the leading organization for flag football in the US.

Will the tournaments SSWT is involved in be "sanctioned" tournaments? Do you plan on becoming the premier organization for Smash Tournaments (maybe expanding into other games) and hold world-wide tournaments?

Are you hiring? Because I would definitely like to be apart of something like this.

Edit: Will it be a requirement to use such programs like TIO or Challonge? Is there the possibility that, I as a TO, want to use just paper and pencil and maybe I pay a certain % based on a number of entrants that I, personally, guarantee?

Example: I guarantee that 30 people are going to show up and I pay a % on that 30 people. It doesn't matter if 100 people show up, or 5 people show up, I pay that % on the 30 people. Is that an option?

Sorry for all the questions, I sometimes get obsessed passionate with things, especially when I've had similar ideas.

CEObrainz

Smash Cadet
NNID
CEObrainz
Seeing as though you will be assisting with funding, you will no doubt have to have strict qualifications. You mention that the event just can't lose money, in order to use the card system.

But how can you verify that a tournament won't lose money? Let's say I have a tournament and 30 people are planning on coming. At $10 per entrant that's $300 with $100 for the venue, and $50 in prizes (purely as an example). As of now, all 30 people are claiming they are coming. This and that happen and only 14 people actually show/enter the tournament. $140 in revenue is generated. Because of the failure in the players to show up, this tournament is now losing money.

Will you assist in the organization of said tournaments, or simply be the "Card Handler" for tournaments that choose to use your service?

Have you ever heard of the USFTL? Its essentially a United States Flag and Touch Football (not soccer) League Organization. While they don't organize each and every tournament, you can get your tournaments "sanctioned" by this league. The USFTL does hold a national tournament in Florida every year, but only the teams (in our case it could be teams or just players) that have earned enough points through sanctioned tournaments are allowed to come.

They keep a strict record of all the players/teams (as you would through your card database). This is how` the huge national tournaments are done through the USFTL which is the leading organization for flag football in the US.

Will the tournaments SSWT is involved in be "sanctioned" tournaments? Do you plan on becoming the premier organization for Smash Tournaments (maybe expanding into other games) and hold world-wide tournaments?

Are you hiring? Because I would definitely like to be apart of something like this.

Edit: Will it be a requirement to use such programs like TIO or Challonge? Is there the possibility that, I as a TO, want to use just paper and pencil and maybe I pay a certain % based on a number of entrants that I, personally, guarantee?

Example: I guarantee that 30 people are going to show up and I pay a % on that 30 people. It doesn't matter if 100 people show up, or 5 people show up, I pay that % on the 30 people. Is that an option?

Sorry for all the questions, I sometimes get obsessed passionate with things, especially when I've had similar ideas.

What I meant was that if a TO has shown the ability in the past to successfully host a tournament then they would be a more likely to be accepted. That's not to say they won't lose money every now and then, it happens and can't always be avoided.

We will only assist in those tournaments that require it, as not all TO's may need the help.

We will do something along the lines of what the USFTL are doing. The service will hopefully be the premium service for smash tournaments in the future. Also if shown to be really successful than I see no reason into branching out with other games, however that would be something quite far into the future.

The benefit of using those programs will be that more data can be collected easily. Also if done on paper, there would be less of a reason for needing a card as there would be nothing to do with it.

If you email me at Admin@supersmashworldtournaments.com then we can discuss anything to do with hiring.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
What I meant was that if a TO has shown the ability in the past to successfully host a tournament then they would be a more likely to be accepted. That's not to say they won't lose money every now and then, it happens and can't always be avoided.

We will only assist in those tournaments that require it, as not all TO's may need the help.

We will do something along the lines of what the USFTL are doing. The service will hopefully be the premium service for smash tournaments in the future. Also if shown to be really successful than I see no reason into branching out with other games, however that would be something quite far into the future.

The benefit of using those programs will be that more data can be collected easily. Also if done on paper, there would be less of a reason for needing a card as there would be nothing to do with it.

If you email me at Admin@supersmashworldtournaments.com then we can discuss anything to do with hiring.
It sounds like an awesome adventure. I'm sure the short-sighted future will work out for you, and here's to hoping the far off future ends up being just as great! I'll continue to ask questions as they come to mind. Thanks!

SSWT-Rose

Smash Rookie
I must say that I'm loving the feedback so far and I'd be happy to answer any further questions that anyone may have about this idea.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I do have a question about the cards. If I am a TO, how do I scan these cards? Is there a program or a piece of hardware that I use?

SSWT-Rose

Smash Rookie
I do have a question about the cards. If I am a TO, how do I scan these cards? Is there a program or a piece of hardware that I use?
As a TO you will need a laptop in order to run the software. The cards will be Smart cards which will be scanned by card readers. We intend to create our own software which will be given to TOs who join up with us.

The cards themselves intend to be very sophisticated, providing information from things such as players' tournament entries and top 8 finishes, to funny stuff such as which character has taken the most damage in matches by them.

The information on the cards stored may change from now until release date, however we intend to add the basic stuff first at release and then add more later.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
That's awesome. I would assume that sense everything is connected to a database, that the TO using the card reader will HAVE to have an internet connection to use. Seeing as how some places may not offer internet for laptops, will there be an app for iPhones and Android users that can use a card reader (similar to the PayPal Card Reader)?

I can't wait to see what kind of stats we will be able to see!

CEObrainz

Smash Cadet
NNID
CEObrainz
That's awesome. I would assume that sense everything is connected to a database, that the TO using the card reader will HAVE to have an internet connection to use. Seeing as how some places may not offer internet for laptops, will there be an app for iPhones and Android users that can use a card reader (similar to the PayPal Card Reader)?

I can't wait to see what kind of stats we will be able to see!

I'll answer that, yes, we are planning to develop an app for android and iOS platforms.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Seems like an interesting idea. Pretty cool way of uniting the community. I will have to email you I had some ideas for helping TOs and making events more official but it may likely be outside the scope of what you are working on.

What I have to wonder though is the cost of all of this. I mean a 10 dollar fee for cards is cool but what about the system setup for TOs. Even the Square is like 200 dollars. I just can't imagine a cheap card scanner unless it is some hackneyed ones that pirates and con artist use and obviously that isn't what you are going. I am really interested in the idea. I always liked the idea of empowering TOs, making every event more efficient, and organizing data from events. Good luck to you all.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Seems like an interesting idea. Pretty cool way of uniting the community. I will have to email you I had some ideas for helping TOs and making events more official but it may likely be outside the scope of what you are working on.

What I have to wonder though is the cost of all of this. I mean a 10 dollar fee for cards is cool but what about the system setup for TOs. Even the Square is like 200 dollars. I just can't imagine a cheap card scanner unless it is some hackneyed ones that pirates and con artist use and obviously that isn't what you are going. I am really interested in the idea. I always liked the idea of empowering TOs, making every event more efficient, and organizing data from events. Good luck to you all.
He mentioned that they collect a % off of the money made. So, like Paypal (their card reader is free), SSWT could give the card readers to the TOs for free, which would ensure more TOs use the card readers. Thus, the more TOs that use the card readers = more tournaments that SSWT collects a % off of.

Any business that wants to stay in business has to focus on its customers and creating the most efficient win for them, while still maintaining a good profit margin for themselves. If this company is able to give a free card reader to the TOs and still be able to pull a profit from them, then I see this business doing very well.

SSWT-Rose

Smash Rookie
Hey guys.

Any updates :)
Currently right now we've been trying to spread the word of the idea via our Facebook page as well as making modifications for our website.

There is still the pressing issue right now of raising the funds needed to start-up still. I'll admit myself that I did take a size-able break from the project to focus on my exams but now that they're over, I'll have more time to deal with the idea.

Personally today I've been working refining the financial side of the business such as sales projections for cards as well as finding suitable cuts in the figure needed to start-up so that the overall figure isn't too large to attain via the kick-starter.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Currently right now we've been trying to spread the word of the idea via our Facebook page as well as making modifications for our website.

There is still the pressing issue right now of raising the funds needed to start-up still. I'll admit myself that I did take a size-able break from the project to focus on my exams but now that they're over, I'll have more time to deal with the idea.

Personally today I've been working refining the financial side of the business such as sales projections for cards as well as finding suitable cuts in the figure needed to start-up so that the overall figure isn't too large to attain via the kick-starter.
Sounds like you guys are really working hard. Do you have an estimated launch date? Of course this is providing Kick-Starter and other donations come in.

CEObrainz

Smash Cadet
NNID
CEObrainz
Sounds like you guys are really working hard. Do you have an estimated launch date? Of course this is providing Kick-Starter and other donations come in.[/quote

For now October is our predicted launch date.

CEObrainz

Smash Cadet
NNID
CEObrainz
Here are some pictures of The Smash Contender Cards were offering. Designs may change from now until release date.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
what does each background have to do with the character?

Just looks like you google images, placed them on a photoshop file and used embedd/emgross a lot

imo its a great concept but make it make sense with what you are doing.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I have to agree with Alex. I think the background look awesome but if they're able to tie in with each character that would be pretty sweet.

CEObrainz

Smash Cadet
NNID
CEObrainz
what does each background have to do with the character?

Just looks like you google images, placed them on a photoshop file and used embedd/emgross a lot

imo its a great concept but make it make sense with what you are doing.

We're still toying around with the designs and nothing is set in stone yet, so you may see some more changes soon.

I have to agree with Alex. I think the background look awesome but if they're able to tie in with each character that would be pretty sweet.
We're working on those kind of designs without taking images from any games, that way the pictures are original.

Ikebrawler14

Smash Rookie
I believe a neat thing to do with the cards could be custom images submitted by a user. I don't know if an extra tidbit of a fee would be warranted for such a thing, but it would definitely be a good way to get the user involved moreso than just getting their number and receiving a card with a character on it.

Also, I am a freind of zonderion's, and he just informed me of this project, and I would love to help either with the app development, or with whatever is needed. I'm an amatuer programmer, but I think I could be of service!

CEObrainz

Smash Cadet
NNID
CEObrainz
I believe a neat thing to do with the cards could be custom images submitted by a user. I don't know if an extra tidbit of a fee would be warranted for such a thing, but it would definitely be a good way to get the user involved moreso than just getting their number and receiving a card with a character on it.

Also, I am a freind of zonderion's, and he just informed me of this project, and I would love to help either with the app development, or with whatever is needed. I'm an amatuer programmer, but I think I could be of service!

We thought of that, but we are not sure if we could do it properly. However if enough people want to be able to create their own cards than we will look at the idea again and perhaps have it as a higher reward for the kickstarter page.

Email me here for involvement in the project: Admin@supersmashworldtournaments.com

Windrose

Smash Lord
sorry if i missed the answer from previous posts.

have you considered collaborating with people that have access to a large amount of TO data? there's already databases compiling tournament results and giving players ELOs and other statistics. it's not close to what your site's end goal describes but maybe it can help rather than starting a new database from the ground up?

you might not have details on this yet but how much financing are you guys looking for? how will you use the funds you acquire, ie any breakdown percentages?

have you thought about using simpler card designs with no color to help cut down costs? a nice looking card is great but a simple card serves the same purpose of what you guys are trying to do. color printing vs black and white can make big differences in your costs.

is the estimated launch date october 2013 or 2014? 2013 seems really soon. do you have any proof of concept available? is the app also launching in october 2013/2014 or will it be added later?

====================

i'm just curious because i like startups and this seems really interesting.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion

have you considered collaborating with people that have access to a large amount of TO data? there's already databases compiling tournament results and giving players ELOs and other statistics. it's not close to what your site's end goal describes but maybe it can help rather than starting a new database from the ground up?
I think this is a good idea. However, I'm wondering how the "fairness" of having some tournaments having their results used and others not? Essentially, the moment SSWT launches only the tournaments supporting the SSWT system will be entered into the official database. Any small tournament that doesn't want to use this system wouldn't be entered. So how does one choosing tournaments that have already happened as to which results get chosen? Whereas, if SSWT uses a fresh database, then everyone is on equal grounds and it will be upon the players to choose tournaments that support the SSWT.

you might not have details on this yet but how much financing are you guys looking for? how will you use the funds you acquire, ie any breakdown percentages?
I would think they will cover this in their KickStarter video, but IDK.

have you thought about using simpler card designs with no color to help cut down costs? a nice looking card is great but a simple card serves the same purpose of what you guys are trying to do. color printing vs black and white can make big differences in your costs.
There is definitely some merit to this. They could possibly offer two different versions. A Regular Member Card (black and white) and an Elite Member Card (Color). Of course the cost would be more for the Elite, but it could save money.

is the estimated launch date october 2013 or 2014? 2013 seems really soon. do you have any proof of concept available? is the app also launching in october 2013/2014 or will it be added later?
Their main website advertises for October 2013. I don't think they plan on an App until later, but of course that could change.

CEOBrainz and SSWT-Rose have been extremely receptive of all of my questions and critical analyses. They are definitely professionals. I'm sure they will appreciate any and all input from people who want to contribute.

SSWT-Rose

Smash Rookie

====================

Right now we've collaborated with Alex Strife so far as well as talking to others such as AlphaZealot. Starting a new database from the ground up is something we want to do and we would be happy to accept any help from other users' databases if need be.

We've been figuring out how much this will all cost but the final figure isn't ready yet. I've been trying to find ways to cut start-up costs myself to make the figure less daunting to obtain via the kick-starter. Color printing vs black and white is a good idea actually. I hadn't thought about that one myself.

The estimated launch date is October 2013 should everything go to plan. Right now I'm in charge of the finance side of the idea so I don't know much regarding the release date of the app other than I was told not to disclose any information about it yet.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
What will happen if I lose my Smash card? Will I be able to get a replacement and keep all my stats, or will I have to start over?

CEObrainz

Smash Cadet
NNID
CEObrainz
What will happen if I lose my Smash card? Will I be able to get a replacement and keep all my stats, or will I have to start over?

Stats won't be tied to your card, however the card links to your profile within our database. If you lose you your card a replacement can be ordered for a small fee.

P.I.E.

Smash Ace
It may go without saying, but if you're going to use that replacement procedure, then you may want to make access to cards/info a bit privatized (in terms of altering the data) by using passwords, security questions etc. to help prevent a concern of mine: The possibility of the wrong person ordering a replacement for a card that wasn't theirs to begin with. It could screw up a person's stats, and of the more important stats, tournament placings, if there's a points system for seeding at major tournaments, you see where I'm going?

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
It may go without saying, but if you're going to use that replacement procedure, then you may want to make access to cards/info a bit privatized (in terms of altering the data) by using passwords, security questions etc. to help prevent a concern of mine: The possibility of the wrong person ordering a replacement for a card that wasn't theirs to begin with. It could screw up a person's stats, and of the more important stats, tournament placings, if there's a points system for seeding at major tournaments, you see where I'm going?
You bring up a great point. From my understanding, I believe you get your own login to the website to alter your personal information, like first and last name, address, things like that which will need a password to access. I would think you would have to order a replacement card through them.

But it still brings up an interesting point: If I were a thief, or just a bad person, I could pretend to lose my card when registering for a tournament. If I were able to provide information about another person, and steal their smash identity, I could theoretically screw up the stats/rankings and points for seeded tournaments.

What kind of verification process will there be when registering for tournaments?

In other words, how will any TO know that I am who I say I am if we are strictly using Smash Tags? -- Maybe a picture ID that can verify the name on the smash card?

CEObrainz

Smash Cadet
NNID
CEObrainz

You bring up a great point. From my understanding, I believe you get your own login to the website to alter your personal information, like first and last name, address, things like that which will need a password to access. I would think you would have to order a replacement card through them.

But it still brings up an interesting point: If I were a thief, or just a bad person, I could pretend to lose my card when registering for a tournament. If I were able to provide information about another person, and steal their smash identity, I could theoretically screw up the stats/rankings and points for seeded tournaments.

What kind of verification process will there be when registering for tournaments?

In other words, how will any TO know that I am who I say I am if we are strictly using Smash Tags? -- Maybe a picture ID that can verify the name on the smash card?

Without a doubt, we'll be using a secure protection system for every user account on our database. We will be using a picture and possibly other information to verify a users identity when registering opponents just in case something like that does happen. As long as the user is identifiable in the picture than there should be no problems.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Wait, I am confused. Is this gonna work where you transfer money to the card for tournaments? Like, I put $1 on the card, and there is a tournament charging $1, so I just swipe my card and I am in. I am not suggesting this, I am just wondering if that is what you are gonna do.

CEObrainz

Smash Cadet
NNID
CEObrainz
Wait, I am confused. Is this gonna work where you transfer money to the card for tournaments? Like, I put $1 on the card, and there is a tournament charging $1, so I just swipe my card and I am in. I am not suggesting this, I am just wondering if that is what you are gonna do.

Yes, that's one of the things we are working on.

Top Bottom