• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros Nintendo Direct - Character Updates

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
With the Super Smash Bros. Nintendo Direct officially over, it's time to weed out the new information! We're here to bring you all the changes our beloved Smashers are undergoing for the next installment. You can view the entire Nintendo Direct right here:

Revealed Features
  • Kirby’s new side special is Hammer Flip. It seems to work similar to King Dedede’s Jet Hammer, but don’t let it charge up for too long: it will leave Kirby very vulnerable! His Final Smash is now the Ultra Sword. It works similarly to Ike's Final Smash in Super Smash Bros Brawl.
  • King Dedede now only throws Gordos.
  • Lucario’s Mega Evolution makes an appearance this time, though it is uncertain how the transformation is triggered.
  • Olimar now can only have three Pikmin do his bidding at a time, meaning his tether recovery has now changed to Winged Pikmin. The more Pikmin Olimar has out, the heavier he becomes. Also, Pikmin are now plucked in a specific order: red, yellow, blue, white, purple, then back to red.
  • Pit can no longer glide, but his Power of Flight recovery special makes up for it by being very easy to use. Power of Flight may also launch Pit in any direction the player chooses. Pit’s Final Smash is now the Three Sacred Treasures.
  • Rosalina’s Final Smash is the Power Star. The Power Star takes center stage, and launching hundreds of tiny stars out at her opponents.
  • Little Mac’s specials are Straight Lunge, Jolt Haymaker, Rising Uppercut, and Slip Counter. He also sports his “Wireframe” Mac look as an alternate costume.
  • Villager’s Final Smash is Dream home, where Tom Nook, Timmy, and Tommy build a house that launches players into the air. Sadly, it looks like it’s lights out for Tom Nook in this round of Smash.
  • Wii Fit Trainer’s two specials were explained. Deep Breathing help her/him build up her/his attack power, making knockback and power go up with each breath. This leaves Wii Fit Trainer extremely vulnerable, though. Sun Salutation acts as a projectile move, sending a burst of light forwards.
  • Mega Man's Final Smash will be he and four other Mega Man forms blasting a huge beam.
  • Yoshi returns, and stands more upright, making him stronger and more versatile.

Yoshi stands more upright this time.​

• There are no more form changes in Super Smash Bros.
  • Samus’ Final Smash Remains unchanged, other than losing her armor to become Zero Suit Samus not returning.
  • Zero Suit Samus zeroes in and returns with her athletic physique, as well as her trademark speed. This time, she is given jet boots for a better recovery, and beefed up attack power.

Zero Suit Samus with her jet boots in the new Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

• Zelda’s new down special is the Phantom Slash, where she summons the Phantom from Spirit Tracks to deal a devastating sword slashing attack. It can also be used to block moves made by your opponents. Careful – it can be reflected back at you!
  • Sheik appears on the scene and is now her own character. She has two new attacks: Burst Grenade and Bouncing Fish. Burst Grenade works eerily close to Snake’s grenade. Bouncing Fish is Sheiks new down special, giving her an acrobatic kick with the heel of her foot.

Sheik in the new Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

• Charizard fires it up and will now will take his own spot, while Pokemon Trainer seems to be no-more. What does this mean for Squirtle and Ivysaur? Sadly, it looks like they’re going to be one-hit wonders. Charizard will also feature his Mega Evolution X. It’s currently unknown if it’s his Final Smash.
  • Greninja makes a splash as Smash Bros.’ newest fighter. He’s very quick, and has phenomenal jumping height. His Water Shuriken is one of his special moves, as well as Substitute. He also appears to have a teleportation move, as well as a water-based recovery.

A challenger from the shadows approaches.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS launches this summer, and Super Smash Bros for Wii U will be in stores by winter of this year.

iDOWN is a Walt Disney World Cast Member, a Nintendo-enthusiast, and an extremely casual Marth and Ness main. You can contact him for anything on his Twitter, @PlayerOneiDOWN.

Last edited:

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
Great job sakurai, way to bring a bad reputation to all of us competitive smashers.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
This iteration of Smash Bros. is looking much better after this Nintendo Direct. I'm happy to see Charizard with his own spot. I hope that he is better than he was in Brawl.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Honestly, Sakurai beyond satisfied me with that direct. Sure, no new characters that I wanted got confirmed but Greninja is better than getting some of the other options IMO and all the new confirmed, modes, veterans, movesets, and a release date more than made up for that.

Last edited:

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Stage limitations in Glory Mode can probably be changed w/ an update. Nobody should get so worked up about it. The game isn't even released yet, it's subject to change.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
The online kind of pissed me off. The first thing I thought was "that f***** 4chan meme" when I saw the For Glory mode. Prepare for projectile spam, chain grabs, and similar tactics to unfold.

The few positives: the layout of the FD-stages aren't exactly the same... some stages are notably a little smaller than others, while others have walls that allow for wall jumps in the bases. At the very least, there's only those few differences.

Well, at least it's a baby step towards appreciating the tourney scene. It's an attempt... although a bad one. In the end, we are not forced to play this mode either: the Competitive Smash community has been doing their own rulesets for a while now, and I don't see why that would stop now.

Stueyman2099

Smash Cadet
Not sure why people are getting upset about the FD only set up. While a selection of appropriate competitive stages would be good, I don't trust them to pick them out. Also keep in mind that this is for matches against random players only. Any tournament scene isn't going to use it, they're going to use custom rules.

racoonnova

Smash Rookie
Glad to see Sheik return, but I wasn't paying attention when the bouncing fish move was explained, so I still have no idea what to expect. Even though I don't usually play with items on, I'm glad that Skull Kid is making an appearance as an assist trophy.

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman
Two things:

I don't think that's how lucario's Mega Evo works. It's not stated, but I'm pretty sure it's his Final Smash, given that Charizard has his Mega Evo shown too and has no aura mechanic.

The gliding mechanic seems to cut completely. I think he mentioned Pit specifically because he was the only character revealed at the time that could do it in Brawl.

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
I'm sick of that overrated Charizard bullcrap, isn't 2 mega evolution in X and Y enough? Now even smash have to kiss his ugly lizard ***? There are so many better pokemon that should made the list, why is squritle and ivysuar removed? Cant they just copy and paste pokemon trainer to the new smash and change his down-b?

NameChange

Banned via Warnings
I, for one, applaud the "For Glory" mode.
In general, I love how Sakurai addressed the problems Brawl had with online.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Competitive players are definitely happier with Charizard split from Pokemon Trainer. However, I am probably one of the few who liked switching between Pokemon and having the trainer in the background...so this makes the second time I had a main cut from Smash Bros.

Still, it's nice to see Charizard being able to go into his X Mega form, and I'm excited to try out Greninja.

I also like Mega Man's FS bringing the different versions together.

Is the transformations being limited to Final Smashes due to 3DS limitations or due to people's requests for the characters to be separate?

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Not sure why people are getting upset about the FD only set up. While a selection of appropriate competitive stages would be good, I don't trust them to pick them out. Also keep in mind that this is for matches against random players only. Any tournament scene isn't going to use it, they're going to use custom rules.
It's not bad, but it's not great either. I mean, it helps characters with chain grabs and projectile walls. The competitive scene uses more than just FD because they know that FD doesn't work well for every character and for some characters get a great advantage on. Platforms are one of the ways to deal with stuff like that and it forces players to change their tactics.

Like I said, it's not bad. It's just not great either.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I'd like to point out that assuming Jigglypuff and Ganondorf return, Mario, Pokémon, and Zelda all have 5 characters.

If Zelda gains a newcomer, or if Pokémon gains Mewtwo back, they will have more than Mario, which Sakurai wouldn't do.

Oh, and Ridley almost deconfirmed.
*sobs as reconsiders life*

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Great job sakurai, way to bring a bad reputation to all of us competitive smashers.
He finally acknowledges competitive players, and the first thing you do is complain about it? If there's any way to bring a bad reputation to competitive Smashers, that's the fast track to doing it.

Flindigo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1075-0735-7198
The online kind of pissed me off. The first thing I thought was "that f***** 4chan meme" when I saw the For Glory mode. Prepare for projectile spam, chain grabs, and similar tactics to unfold.

The few positives: the layout of the FD-stages aren't exactly the same... some stages are notably a little smaller than others, while others have walls that allow for wall jumps in the bases. At the very least, there's only those few differences.

Well, at least it's a baby step towards appreciating the tourney scene. It's an attempt... although a bad one. In the end, we are not forced to play this mode either: the Competitive Smash community has been doing their own rulesets for a while now, and I don't see why that would stop now.
are you people ever happy like i mean honestly this is fine holy ****

seanutbutter

Smash Rookie
lets be real, who is going to use the male wii fit trainer lmao

sakurai should've mentioned fox along with the no items and final destination announcement

Last edited:

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
He finally acknowledges competitive players, and the first thing you do is complain about it? If there's any way to bring a bad reputation to competitive Smashers, that's the fast track to doing it.
Explain how he is acknowledging us? if there is anything, he consider us a bunch of ******* playing fox only of FD and shine all day. Also, he changed a lot of movesets for some characters who clearly doesn't need change, while ignoring all those characters who actually needs an opportunity to rise up a few tier.

Top Bottom