• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U / 3DS Info Thread - Risen from the dead by the psychic power of DLC

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
Is Lucina an alt for Marth?
There seems to be a lot of confusion, but I'm pretty sure she is her own character. However she seems like a faster, lighter, and weaker version of Marth based off the trailer. I hope the final product she is akin to Luigi is to Mario rather than being almost an exact copy of Marth.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Is there a single newcomer in this game with just one gender? NOPE!

Just kidding, this is badass news! Maybe that famous leaker thought Lucina was Chrom and that Robin was Shulk? They do look similar. Kind of.

Mike_Tha_Hero

Smash Cadet
NNID
mikexxieaf
I was rooting for Chrom but Lucina is a much better choice. I don't know how different she'll be from Marth but going with a female rep will be good for the fandom.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Can't update the OP anymore because it's become too large... ;_;

Depending on the circumstances, I might create a new version of the thread.

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
I was rooting for Chrom but Lucina is a much better choice. I don't know how different she'll be from Marth but going with a female rep will be good for the fandom.
The sad thing is if they Did Chrom I would imagine him to be a clone of Ike lol.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
So is the roster now bigger than Brawl's now?

On another topic, what will become of that Rayman trophy? Will a Ubisoft character possibly make it in, or will Sakurai just make loads of random third party trophies?

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team

On another topic, what will become of that Rayman trophy? Will a Ubisoft character possibly make it in, or will Sakurai just make loads of random third party trophies?
I think we're at 36.

We need two more people to top Brawl's roster overall!

Morbi

Scavenger

I am not sure about "loads" of third-party character trophies, but character trophies like Bayonetta and Layton might be expected at this point.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Since I can't update the OP, here's the info I wanted to add (besides fixing the bug on the character list):

Voice actors for the newly shown characters:
Captain Falcon - Ryo Horikawa
Robin (Male) - Yoshimasa Hosoya (Japanese) / David Vincent (English)
Robin (Female) - Miyuki Sawashiro (Japanese) / Michelle Ruff (English)
Lucina - Yuu Kobayashi (Japanese) / Laura Bailey (English)
Chrom - Tomokazu Sugita (Japanese) / Matthew Mercer (English)

Mike_Tha_Hero

Smash Cadet
NNID
mikexxieaf

I honestly think that was just an attempt at Ubisoft getting him into the game. They presented a trophy just to show they actually used the model, I'm guessing.

DownWitDaWaveDash

Smash Apprentice
I think it was hilarious how Captain Falcon wrecked Chrom so hard he got deconfirmed...

He was on the floor before the trailer started lol

The way i see it is Sakurai had Captain and Chrom fight to see who made it in smash bros.

Chrom can't take the knee

Last edited:

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
That trailer today was awesome, but I wish somethings had been different. Good to see falcon back. Here are some things i noticed about the new characters

James Phillips

Smash Journeyman
Just leaving this here, something about CoroCoro revealing all the stages and characters for Super Smash Bros. For 3DS on August 12 but it's probably false as they tried to pull the same stunt with Brawl before the game got delayed.

http://corocoro.tv/next/

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Woo! I could update the OP!

Guess it could have been a problem caused by yesterday's high traffic.

Anyway, the information added was about the Fire Emblem characters' voice cast in both Japanese and English languages.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Lucina is indefinitely her own character slot instead of just an alt. Confirmed by Sakurai today.
She's already listed on the OP's character list.

Fire Emblem officially has 4 characters this time around: Marth, Ike, Robin and Lucina. Lucina's changes from Marth are minimal, but still make a difference in game play and earn her a slot on the roster.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
The pic of the day explains Lucina's status:

In terms of movesets and general properties, Lucina is 100% identical to Marth, but she lacks the tipper mechanic, regardless of where she hits you it does the same damage. Presumably her power is always between Marth's sourspot and sweetspot power.

I'll admit to being shocked that she's not just an alt, but really no one called this correctly (because there's never been a character like this before). It's an interesting change I guess, but I think it'll make her weaker overall. Most of what makes Marth strong is finding guaranteed setups for his tipper hits, whereas Lucina will simply be unable to output that much damage and knockback.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero

In terms of movesets and general properties, Lucina is 100% identical to Marth, but she lacks the tipper mechanic, regardless of where she hits you it does the same damage. Presumably her power is always between Marth's sourspot and sweetspot power.

I'll admit to being shocked that she's not just an alt, but really no one called this correctly (because there's never been a character like this before). It's an interesting change I guess, but I think it'll make her weaker overall. Most of what makes Marth strong is finding guaranteed setups for his tipper hits, whereas Lucina will simply be unable to output that much damage and knockback.
You never know. She might be hiding something in the final product. We'll just have to get our hands on it first and see. ;)

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
You never know. She might be hiding something in the final product. We'll just have to get our hands on it first and see. ;)
Well I can see her having slightly better combos than Marth (ala Roy), but the problem is that even if she can chain into FSmash, it just doesn't have nearly as much power behind it, so she's going to have to work a lot harder for kills.

MagicManNo9

A busy man with a busy schedule these days!
I was blown away by the reveal, I remember a while back I was talking to my best friend about possible FE characters and said that they could do Lucina but she'll probably have a similar move set to Marth and that Avatar/Robin would be a perfect choice considering the attacks Robin can do as well as a female alt for that matter!

Also funny enough I was scavenging my room and found my copy of FE:Awakening a few days back being so happy that I finally found it lol and didn't stop playing, this was just perfect timing for me!

I am surprised both of them got in, I always imagined 1 of the two would but I ain't complaining, loving it so far!

Robin (Female) - Miyuki Sawashiro (Japanese)
I just want to say that I'm in love with Miyuki Sawashiro, my favorite voice actor and her voice is just perfection to me ears~

jwj442

Smash Journeyman

He says her "physical abilities" are identical. This is pretty vague (especially since it's been translated) - it could mean the statistics are all the same, or it could just mean they have the same moves. Since we've already been told one major statistical difference (and a minor one with her height), there's a good chance there are more. We'll just have to wait and see. The differences between a lot of Melee's clones weren't immediately obvious.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
He does say "identical", and notes that it basically just makes her a Marth that's easier to use, so I really wouldn't count on major changes.

Anyway, I've been thinking about her viability. Obviously, she has lesser kill power compared to Marth since she has no tipper. While Marth can kill with tipper FSmash at around 90%, she probably needs like 120% for the same kill. That's a big drawback.

However, she may have a couple minor upsides. Marth has always had that combo deadzone around 110% where his combos just stop working because the tipper sends you too far. Lucina won't have that, or at least not until much higher percentages. Similarly, a couple of Marth's attacks have different properties depending on where they hit you, particularly Dair, which is a spike if tipped. If Lucina's Dair is always a spike, that could be really valuable. Those two factors could make her incredibly deadly with the Ken combo. Of course, that assumes spikes even still exist.

Overall I still expect Marth to be quite a bit better, but it's possible she might be somewhat usable.

Last edited:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
So Lucina is a clone character, I wonder if her moveset will be as different as Brawl's Wolf and Fox, or virtually indistinguishable like Melee's Dr. Mario and Mario.

As for the Sal Romano leak, he said his tipper told him that Shulk would be revealed in the trailer, I thought he just said this as a joke to get us hyped up because he included a smiley face in the quote from his tipper. We were all pleasantly surprised when we unexpectedly got the fire emblem reps. But if he intended it as a joke he should've said Ridley or something instead of one of the characters from his leak list. Then again, Sal does seem like the kinda guy who would pull pranks on us, I mean he didn't initially claim that he was leaked info that the villager and wii fit trainer were gonna be in smash, he said that he predicted they would appear, so everyone laughed in disbelief that he predicted correctly. But later he admitted he had a tipper on the inside.

tldr: Sal likes to pull pranks on us, but its pretty much fact that he's got a tipper on the inside.

Maybe Sakurai told all of his staff that he was gonna reveal Shulk. The Xenoblade developer retweeted the smash bros reveal news upon Sakurai's request to get everyone thinking its Shulk, but the whole time, he was actually uploading the Lucina footage. All this, to counter the leak and cement into his fans minds that they will NEVER, be able to predict what he'll do next.

Dracometeor

Smash Apprentice
The sad thing is if they Did Chrom I would imagine him to be a clone of Ike lol.
Why? They are nothing alike. Chrom is much closer to Marth, they use the same sword.... Ike is also a bodybuilder, chrom has a prissy prince body.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I love how everyone automatically assumes that Lucina not having a tipper system means that she's weaker and takes longer to kill enemies. Sakurai said that while Marth's power is at the tip of the blade, Lucina's power is in the whole blade itself.

So for me, rather than thinking she has nothing at all, it's more like every hit she has is akin to or almost as strong as Marth's tipper hits as well as doing a significantly stronger amount of damage when her moves are charged. Sorta makes sense when you consider what her Falchion is like compared to Marth's.

That's just my thoughts and theory, but I'm sure sticking to it.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I love how everyone automatically assumes that Lucina not having a tipper system means that she's weaker and takes longer to kill enemies. Sakurai said that while Marth's power is at the tip of the blade, Lucina's power is in the whole blade itself.

So for me, rather than thinking she has nothing at all, it's more like every hit she has is akin to or almost as strong as Marth's tipper hits as well as doing a significantly stronger amount of damage when her moves are charged. Sorta makes sense when you consider what her Falchion is like compared to Marth's.

That's just my thoughts and theory, but I'm sure sticking to it.
Obviously they won't give her tipper power on her whole sword. Sakurai may be the worst person ever for game balance but even he must know that would be stupidly OP.

Balanced power simply has to mean less power at tip and more power at base.

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Obviously they won't give her tipper power on her whole sword. Sakurai may be the worst person ever for game balance but even he must know that would be stupidly OP.

Balanced power simply has to mean less power at tip and more power at base.
1. No it doesn't. He would have specifically stated it as being just that if it was, but he didn't, so it isn't. Plus, I did say "close to" or "akin to" as opposed to exactly like it. Basically, she hits harder than Marth but weaker than Ike.

NEVER FORGET

Like I said, it's just my theory, but I'm sticking to it.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Pretty much everyone got the impression that "distributed" meant "taking the power from the tip and spreading it about the sword", which means more at the bad parts and less at the good parts. I don't think it was really that ambiguous.

And besides, even if she does have tipper power at all ranges, that just makes Marth the worthless character instead of her. As long as they're totally identical except for the tipper mechanic one is pretty much guaranteed to be better than the other.

Aogami

Smash Cadet
People seem to be so thick that they can't comprehend the meaning of the most simplest thing so let me list them down.

1.) When Sakurai says that they have "identical physical abilities" it's just a fancy way for him to avoid the word clone not that everything about their movements are identical but instead that they have the same moveset.

2) The sword mechanic is as simple as this, takes Marth's tipper mechanic, I don't remember the exact numbers but let's say the tip of the sword does 9% damage while the rest of the sword does 5%, in Lucina's case the entire blade will do an equal amount of damage of 7% so it does't have a weak point or a strength either but a balance.

3) As mentioned in the first point they will likely be a difference in movement speed and attack execution as well as different knock back for attack just like every other clone there has been, you people seriously act like this is your first time seeing one despite the many others there have been in past games.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
He did say "identical" and not just "similar", which leads me to believe they literally are completely the same except for the tipper. If the difference was "they have a different tipper mechanic and some of their A moves are different", he would have mentioned that rather than mentioning that she was a tiny bit shorter.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
A lot of people really hate clones, but I think they add diversity to a game. It's like, if you ever wanted to play as a faster, nimbler Marth, Lucina perfectly fills in that role. A Smash game simply wouldn't be complete without at least one clone character. It has been woven into the franchises's DNA!

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
if you ever wanted to play as a faster, nimbler Marth, Lucina perfectly fills in that role.
Does she, though? It sounds like she's really just a more beginner-friendly Marth (which is kind of absurd since Marth is already very beginner friendly), he didn't say anything about her being quicker.

If she was legitimately tweaked to be a more rushdown oriented Marth I'd be fine with it, but so far she seems like a super lazy clone who just has some slightly adjusted hitboxes.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
So the Colosseum is confirmed to have a Final Destination form. During the new trailer, when Marth and Ike show up, they're standing on a platform above an abyss, and the torches that are normally in circle along the ground are attached to the walls.

Black Hayato PTA

Smash Cadet
I think this might be getting over complicated.

I think it means Lucina will be like Roy. Roy and Marth have the exact same moves (minus the fire). The difference is the properties of the blade (which is what's changing now) Roy is also missing a tip mechanic as the blade hits harder at the lower ends and he has a worse recovery. So my guess is that lucina is going to be a more balanced Roy with an un-gimped recovery. We have no idea what that "balance" of the blade will translate to until we play the character and what I mean by that is that it could affect the knock back, spikes, the flow of combos, pop-up, and hit stun. It could be very drastic or it could be very minor, but I'll say its more than likely a more balanced Roy with superior reach, grabs, and recovery instead of a direct replica of Marth sans tip (which I mean even if it was it would be a pretty big change in itself as its not just the f smash that has a tip. All of the moves have a sweet spot and if that were changed it would drastically change how you played the character).

tl;dr It's probably closer to Roy with good recovery than Marth sans good forward smash (that's the only tip most people keep mentioning anyway even though it works on all the moves).

Last edited:
Top Bottom