• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS: Single Player Options Revealed

AkashicSword

Yokai
With the release date drawing near, Sakurai has released new details regarding solo play game modes in Super Smash Bros for 3DS. Adding to what had already been announced, Sakurai went into great detail concerning the original solo game play mode: Classic Mode.

Unlike past classic modes, the player has a lot more choice in regards to how they progress through the game. While in previous titles, the opponents players faced were determined randomly from the beginning, Smash for 3DS allows players to choose your battles via forks in the road, adding a feel of control to the gameplay.

"An age-old problem. The fork in the road."

Like in all Classic Modes prior, there a variety of different battles that can take place during any given playthrough, such as team battles, free for all's, one on one's, three on one's, etc.

"Veteran players will find this fight to be very familiar."
Another twist added to the new Classic Mode, is the implementation of the "Fighter Balance" system. This new system allows players to adjust the difficulty of Classic Mode via an "Intensity" scale. By using coins, players can choose to make Classic more or less difficult, and in doing so, affect the rewards they receive when victorious.

"A familiar sight to those who have played Kid Icarus: Uprising."
With greater difficulty, come greater rewards. Players who play Classic Mode will not only earn trophies and coins, but are able to earn custom parts for their characters for their efforts.

"Players are lavished with rewards for their success, encouraging players to challenge themselves."
After explaining Classic Mode, Sakurai briefly mentioned the other forms of solo play available to players. Adding to the already confirmed Home Run Contest and Target Blast, Sakurai teased us with a picture of Multi-Man Smash, featuring Mii Fighters in place of the eponymous fighters of previous "Multi-Man" installments.

"I wonder if there will be more to unlock?"
Are you excited for the new features for solo play in Smash 3DS? Is there any other modes you wish would make a comeback? Discuss them below!

AkashicSword really wants to see "Board the Platforms" return with a vengeance! Discuss the new single player modes with him @akashicgaming.

Last edited:

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I see those coins there. They're tempting me to pick them up.

Watch there be a larger reward off screen. That's typical Sakurai. XD

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
If there is a green path, I will ALWAYS take that green path. Oh hey it's Manliness in the road.:4falcon:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Interesting that Classic mode now chooses past stages as well. Nice to see it reworked into something new that keeps its iconic elements.

And it seems Break the Targets is gone. Or maybe it's unlockable or exclusive to the Wii U version?

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
Kid Icarus Uprising 2: Super Smash Bros for 3DS

i guess sakurai REALLY loves his games.
Yeah, if you look at some of the Kid Icarus stuff (menus and achievements) there are even similarities in Uprising to Kirby's Air Ride, which will also find its way in Sm4sh.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I can't be the only one who thinks THIS means something.

image.jpg

Why does it just so happen to be the Kremlings that has the word NEW next to him?
Why didn't Sakurai make it so another trophy has the NEW sign next to it?

What is Sakurai trying to tell us?

K. Rool confirmed!!!

@BKupa666

Last edited:

JB IV

Smash Cadet
Oh Sakurai... Making us use coins to increase the difficuly but the higher the difficulty the more coins we earn for completing it? Coin-ception! Do we earn more coins back than we put in if we win?

MadKraken

Smash Cadet
Interesting that the Classic Mode fork in the road goes by franchise and not character. You'll never know what you'll get with a franchise like Pokemon, but franchises with only one playable character rep will give you the same opponent every time.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
I really, really like that they swapped out the fighting polygons for Miis in Multi-Man Melee. Now I actually want to play that mode for more than just unlocking stuff.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I hope we get to also see what type of fight we get to see next before choosing our path. Otherwise this mode would feel like a huge gamble.

Last edited:

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
I'm liking the new look of Classic mode personally, and even though a lot of people seem iffy about the miis being the multi man brawl fighters now, I'm personally up for that idea over the polygon fighters from before.

The intensity scale on the other hand puts me off a bit. I'm not sure I like the idea of everything revolving around putting money into your arcade machine (Hee hee I made a joke). But no seriously I'm not sure about this whole 'betting' aspect of the game.

SmashShard

Smash Rookie
yes because all the Captain Falcon special-less that appeared 100 times a battle clones were unique
Yeah. The polygons, wireframes, and alloys were cool and interesting. There are only three Mii movesets so it's not like there is any more variety here.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Kid Icarus Uprising 2: Super Smash Bros for 3DS

i guess sakurai REALLY loves his games.
So he should leave out certain design choices in order avoid ruffling the jimmies of pissy fanboys who cry bias at the drop of a hat?
Check Sakurai's other games; the achievement system has been used in other games like Brawl, same with the menu interface which was used in Air Ride and Meteos, the gameplay of the Smash series itself was partially inspired by Kirby Super Star. The intensity bar debuted in Uprising, and that was an excellent feature designed for those who look for a challenge or just care for a casual play.
One thing is to complain about bias on content from games like Kirby or Kid Icarus, but to complain on this? This is not bias, this is Sakurai's way of designing a game. Just like an artist has his own art-style or a chef his way of cooking, Sakurai's past works have a certain influence on whatever games he makes in the future.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
"Veteran players will find this fight to be very familiar"
Giant DK fight from Smash 64.
"I wonder if there will be more to unlock?"
Hey where's Break the Targets, Board the Platforms, Race to the Finish?
I think he means Boss Battles, where we can fight the Hands, Yellow Devil, and Ridley.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
It seems Sakurai will be building the menus and options of his games like Kid Icarus now, as the difficulty change is literally straight from Kid Icarus.

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
The thing I'm wondering about the most is the intensity system. I got how it worked in Kid Icarus Uprising, but I am curious as to the difference from the Very easy, easy, normal, hard, very hard stuff. Maybe at 9.0, the computers are above level 9 cpus? Or maybe some sort of handicap is added too? Just a thought, I don't really know much about how it will work in smash. Still excited about the new layout though! Love it!

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
AGHHHH!!! This looks just awesome!

These 49 days can not go by fast enough!

Who on earth cares that the menus look like Kid Icarus? I seriously think some people visit this website just to complain about random nonsense that doesn't matter. Go play something else then... this game is gonna be sweet!

Coastward

Smash Lord
So he should leave out certain design choices in order avoid ruffling the jimmies of pissy fanboys who cry bias at the drop of a hat?
Check Sakurai's other games; the achievement system has been used in other games like Brawl, same with the menu interface which was used in Air Ride and Meteos, the gameplay of the Smash series itself was partially inspired by Kirby Super Star. The intensity bar debuted in Uprising, and that was an excellent feature designed for those who look for a challenge or just care for a casual play.
One thing is to complain about bias on content from games like Kirby or Kid Icarus, but to complain on this? This is not bias, this is Sakurai's way of designing a game. Just like an artist has his own art-style or a chef his way of cooking, Sakurai's past works have a certain influence on whatever games he makes in the future.
who said i was complaining?

damn, jumping down a person's throat for no reason. obviously the game is gonna take design choices from previous games the dev has made but i didnt expect it to be so direct.

calm down son.

Exaggeratedhonesty

Smash Champion
AGHHHH!!! This looks just awesome!

These 49 days can not go by fast enough!

Who on earth cares that the menus look like Kid Icarus? I seriously think some people visit this website just to complain about random nonsense that doesn't matter. Go play something else then... this game is gonna be sweet!
Complaining about complaining?

WE MUST GO DEEPER!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I can't be the only one who thinks THIS means something.

View attachment 21644

Why does it just so happen to be the Kremlings that has the word NEW next to him?
Why didn't Sakurai make it so another trophy has the NEW sign next to it?

What is Sakurai trying to tell us?

K. Rool confirmed!!!

@BKupa666
I think that just means that it's a trophy that you haven't collected yet.

Top Bottom