• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Final Video Presentation: Dec. 15

The time has come: "Catch the final video presentation dedicated to Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U on Dec. 15 at 2 p.m. PT. Masahiro Sakurai will provide details on Cloud and more in this worldwide broadcast." This will be the final Smash presentation we receive according to this official Nintendo announcement.

Outside of Cloud, what will be covered in the direct? Will we learn about the Smash Ballot at last? New stages? Costumes? Does this mean that we will soon enter the era of the final patch? Start the speculation in the comments below and stay tuned for any breaking updates on the presentation!

Comments

There's been a lot of prediction-making so far, I see no harm in adding fuel to the fire.:roll:
SPOILER ALERT: This is a wall of text!

What we do know is that Cloud will be joining the roster with two other fighters, a Final Fantasy stage will be added along with two more - having never played FF at all I won't know where it is, and at least one new Mii Fighter costume; the Chocobo Hat. Using the past year as a blueprint and an predicting algorithm I've giving it very serious thought about what to expect, but before I do I must point out that this is mostly speculation and should not be taken as any kind of fact.

As I've mentioned a few times before, even with Cloud's reveal I think at least one veteran will return. It's a bit of a question of simple deduction, I've always felt and still fell that Wolf is the most likely to return; in part there is an argument to be made for Wolf, but a lot of my argument is based largely on the remaining veteran cast, as I'll now demonstrate;

:wolf: - 50%: Wolf and Snake are the most likely to return in my opinion. Having said that Wolf seems to be the more likely of the two. Yes, Wolf is a semi-clone, a reinterpretation of Fox. However his unique standard moveset, agility and dominating air game balanced with his poor recovery and almost fatal meteor cancelling gives Wolf a distinct difference between him and Fox and at a bit of a disadvantage with Falco, at least at face value.
:snake: - 45%: Snake is the other very likely veteran to return. Snake's unique fight style is a major plus point and in and ideal world Snake would join Wolf - in fact that can still well happen, however unlikely. Most of his attacks are high damage, high knockback and a surprisingly camper playstyle.
:ivysaur: - 3%: Just about every other veteran is almost completely discounted, but a few of them do have plus points worth noting. Of the remaining Pokémon Ivysaur is the most likely to return, the argument can be made that Ivysaur has potential by virtue of his type; no other Pokémon available is a Grass or Poison type. However Ivysaur as a fighter is an average attacker and a poor defender with a horrible recovery.
:popo: - 1%: The Ice Climbers would be much more likely if it weren't for the fact that Sakurai more or less discounted their appearance on 3DS. Personally I think the Ice Climbers have their unique double-hit mechanic and fightstyle is unique enough to warrant a return.
:squirtle: - 1%: In theory Squirtle is a better fighter than Ivysaur, but there's already a fast, light, Water type Pokémon in the form for Greninja. Despite that Squirtle's moveset is unique and should not be hastily passed.
:younglinkmelee: - 0%: Toon Link adequately replaces the role Young Link provided in Melee as an alternative Link fighter, a third Link character would be a very bad idea, especially when Young Link has disadvantages Toon Link doesn't possess.
:pt: - 0%: Sakurai made it clear that he didn't want interchangeable fighters this time around, the separation of Zelda/Shiek and Samus/ZZS is proof of that. There's no reason Pokémon Trainer costumes can't appear for Mii fighters and I hope it happens, but with separate fighters and the fact that Charizard is his own fighter the Trainer won't return.
:pichumelee: - 0%: I could argue that Pichu suffers terrible disadvantages against Pikachu, nevermind the Melee roster. I could argue that Pichu had no advantageous matchups against any other fighter in Melee. However the argument I'm taking is simply that noone wants Pichu; there's only one pro Pichu fighter right now and only five before him. Rock on Mew2King!

As for newcomers it's pot luck! There's no real point in speculating. I would like Rayman to appear but I've never been bothered with whoever's revealed, and you are talking to the one person who voted in the Fighter Ballot for Commander Keen. However there does also appear to be a pattern for newcomers, specifically which newcomers won't be revealed.
If you've been following the Mii Fighter costumes you'll know that Mii Fighters can dress up as other characters. Some of these character costumes are unique and others are from current fighters in the roster. There is a pattern with the latter fighter costumes, they are all costumes of veteran fighters - Link, Samus, Fox and Captain Falcon - every other character costume is that of a character not on the roster. While it's not a concrete theory it's reasonable to assume that Mega Man X, Proto Man, Dunban, Isabelle, MegaMan.EXE, Zero, the Inklings, Akira, Jacky, Heihachi, K. K. Slider, King K. Rool, Chrom, the Black Knight, Llyod, Toad or Viridi won't be revealed as newcomers based on this conclusion. This is just a theory though, based on observation, and should not be considered as fact.

There's been a lot of prediction-making so far, I see no harm in adding fuel to the fire.:roll:
SPOILER ALERT: This is a wall of text!

What we do know is that Cloud will be joining the roster with two other fighters, a Final Fantasy stage will be added along with two more - having never played FF at all I won't know where it is, and at least one new Mii Fighter costume; the Chocobo Hat. Using the past year as a blueprint and an predicting algorithm I've giving it very serious thought about what to expect, but before I do I must point out that this is mostly speculation and should not be taken as any kind of fact.

As I've mentioned a few times before, even with Cloud's reveal I think at least one veteran will return. It's a bit of a question of simple deduction, I've always felt and still fell that Wolf is the most likely to return; in part there is an argument to be made for Wolf, but a lot of my argument is based largely on the remaining veteran cast, as I'll now demonstrate;

:wolf: - 50%: Wolf and Snake are the most likely to return in my opinion. Having said that Wolf seems to be the more likely of the two. Yes, Wolf is a semi-clone, a reinterpretation of Fox. However his unique standard moveset, agility and dominating air game balanced with his poor recovery and almost fatal meteor cancelling gives Wolf a distinct difference between him and Fox and at a bit of a disadvantage with Falco, at least at face value.
:snake: - 45%: Snake is the other very likely veteran to return. Snake's unique fight style is a major plus point and in and ideal world Snake would join Wolf - in fact that can still well happen, however unlikely. Most of his attacks are high damage, high knockback and a surprisingly camper playstyle.
:ivysaur: - 3%: Just about every other veteran is almost completely discounted, but a few of them do have plus points worth noting. Of the remaining Pokémon Ivysaur is the most likely to return, the argument can be made that Ivysaur has potential by virtue of his type; no other Pokémon available is a Grass or Poison type. However Ivysaur as a fighter is an average attacker and a poor defender with a horrible recovery.
:popo: - 1%: The Ice Climbers would be much more likely if it weren't for the fact that Sakurai more or less discounted their appearance on 3DS. Personally I think the Ice Climbers have their unique double-hit mechanic and fightstyle is unique enough to warrant a return.
:squirtle: - 1%: In theory Squirtle is a better fighter than Ivysaur, but there's already a fast, light, Water type Pokémon in the form for Greninja. Despite that Squirtle's moveset is unique and should not be hastily passed.
:younglinkmelee: - 0%: Toon Link adequately replaces the role Young Link provided in Melee as an alternative Link fighter, a third Link character would be a very bad idea, especially when Young Link has disadvantages Toon Link doesn't possess.
:pt: - 0%: Sakurai made it clear that he didn't want interchangeable fighters this time around, the separation of Zelda/Shiek and Samus/ZZS is proof of that. There's no reason Pokémon Trainer costumes can't appear for Mii fighters and I hope it happens, but with separate fighters and the fact that Charizard is his own fighter the Trainer won't return.
:pichumelee: - 0%: I could argue that Pichu suffers terrible disadvantages against Pikachu, nevermind the Melee roster. I could argue that Pichu had no advantageous matchups against any other fighter in Melee. However the argument I'm taking is simply that noone wants Pichu; there's only one pro Pichu fighter right now and only five before him. Rock on Mew2King!

As for newcomers it's pot luck! There's no real point in speculating. I would like Rayman to appear but I've never been bothered with whoever's revealed, and you are talking to the one person who voted in the Fighter Ballot for Commander Keen. However there does also appear to be a pattern for newcomers, specifically which newcomers won't be revealed.
If you've been following the Mii Fighter costumes you'll know that Mii Fighters can dress up as other characters. Some of these character costumes are unique and others are from current fighters in the roster. There is a pattern with the latter fighter costumes, they are all costumes of veteran fighters - Link, Samus, Fox and Captain Falcon - every other character costume is that of a character not on the roster. While it's not a concrete theory it's reasonable to assume that Mega Man X, Proto Man, Dunban, Isabelle, MegaMan.EXE, Zero, the Inklings, Akira, Jacky, Heihachi, K. K. Slider, King K. Rool, Chrom, the Black Knight, Llyod, Toad or Viridi won't be revealed as newcomers based on this conclusion. This is just a theory though, based on observation, and should not be considered as fact.
Wow, this is obviously a very "thought out" chart you have here. No fan favorites at all!

But, for real, I really do lean towards Bomberman a lot and hope he can show up. Personally, I want to go even more obscure and wish for Goemon, as all of his games pretty much had critical acclaim for either a new gameplay element, soundtrack and so forth whenever they were localized. It is a very memorable series, has a VERY memorable protagonist and incredible music that nobody should miss out on.

In fact, give it a sample yourself and you will see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4TnN-YZglM

If not on Sm4sh, I would LOVE for Goemon to finally show up on the Virtual Console.

Speaking of Konami, since Kojima was literally the only reason why Snake showed up in the first place, I am not counting on his return at all. If Konami does join the fray, we will get one of their other iconic reps, which would only be Simon Belmont due to his significance with Nintendo.

Also, well people do point out veterans having Mii costumes, what DLC characters have shown up AFTER a Mii costume was revealed? All I am saying is that if Inkling or Rool are not there, then they are definitely not going to be showing up anytime soon.

Last edited:

Still dreaming about a giant character, Heroes of the Storm broke the Moba 's sizes rules with CHo'gall, why not breaking it in Smash too ? :p

He would be banned in 8-player mode, it can be a tip for Ice Climbers too.

#NeedanewMetroidcharacter

:snake:Kept you waiting, huh?

Seriously though, cannot wait for the The Final Destination, and for the hype train to crash into the f$cking sun. I'll see you all on the other side, whether its with source gaming or its with Etika. All i know is history will be made tonight.

(And good luck Snake. Don't keep us waiting for too long.)

- [] SUND4NCE []

ima make a prediction here, but you'll all see I'm right and come crawling back.

One-Punch Man
Madara Uchiha
Shenron Dragon from DBZ
Freeza
Mega Rayquaza
Primal Groudon
Mobile Suit Gundam 00
Prototype of the Ultimate Life Form
Hamtaro
Exodia - Yu-Gi-Oh
MetalGarurumon
Armor Titan

I never would have guessed Bayonetta, she seems a bit R rated to me, but I'm not gonna complain. Can't wait to play them all.
My beef with her is how recent she is. I was hoping that they would have gone all out and given the final slot to a retro rep just to make the fans go nuts, like a 3D recreation of certain ones; but in the end, they actually went with the generic choice.

She will play fine, her games are fun and the fan service is phenomenal here, but I wish it was someone else. I thought Snake was unfitting, but Bayonetta makes his games look like children's games.

I think it's more appropriate to say "For the love of Jenovah" instead considering the Cloud update we will be getting lol.

I'm not expecting much. Samurai thanking us for buying content, his thoughts on SSB4, maybe information regarding the end game for Smash. Maybe the ballot winner announcement. Also, remaining Amiibos as well as the last wave of Mii costumes. And if we are lucky, a new stage to end on a good note.

As for any new characters, I honestly can't think of any other characters that are really deserving of being that last character. Sure, Wolf, Ice Climbers, and Dnake would all be welcomed veterans and Chorus Men, King K. Rool, Impa, Paper Mario, etc would be great additions but do they have that pop factor that makes the last reveal memorable?

And for 3rd party characters - we have 3 of the most iconic 1990's mascots as well as the most iconic fighting/RPG game mascot. I'm totally fine with Cloud being the last character added to this roster. The amount of hype/buzz/salt from his reveal was legendary.

I'm dying

No, "working" means that they were operational. They existed in the Wii U version of the game in some playable, working form, with their duo mechanic presumably intact (as Sakurai did not mention any changes). If they existed in the game in some playable form and were working just fine, then it'd take considerably less work to simply polish them up, bugfix, balance, etc. for the Wii U version, than to recreate veteran fighters from the ground up like they did with Lucas, Roy, and Mewtwo.

Also, here's Sakurai's exact words:

Source (Gaming)

"playable during development on the Wii U." They were playable in their original, duo form. They were fully operational, decently developed, able to be used presumably without any major hiccups. If they were playable during development, that's a good bit of work done already. It'd take significantly less work to polish an existing veteran character, than to remake one from scratch (which they've done before for DLC).
The 3DS is perfectly capable of having functional Ice Climbers. The problem is that it can't then handle four sets of ICs, or maybe even two sets and another character on a complex stage. Nana's effectively another CPU controlled character, which you could indeed rig up on SSB3D.

Working and playable are two different things. I'm confident they were playable on SSB3D, but with limitations. We don't know if SSBU would of had limitations too. Considering the mirror goes away in Wii Fit Studio with just six characters in battle, it's possible they wouldn't of made it even on Wii U.

I mean, they're giant resource hogs. The fact that they're cut means they don't need to assume there's the max number of ICs on every stage and can be further optimized. Honestly, I'm surprised they got into Melee in the first place. Might have something to do with the overwhelmingly static stages...

The 3DS is perfectly capable of having functional Ice Climbers. The problem is that it can't then handle four sets of ICs, or maybe even two sets and another character on a complex stage. Nana's effectively another CPU controlled character, which you could indeed rig up on SSB3D.

Working and playable are two different things. I'm confident they were playable on SSB3D, but with limitations. We don't know if SSBU would of had limitations too. Considering the mirror goes away in Wii Fit Studio with just six characters in battle, it's possible they wouldn't of made it even on Wii U.

I mean, they're giant resource hogs. The fact that they're cut means they don't need to assume there's the max number of ICs on every stage and can be further optimized. Honestly, I'm surprised they got into Melee in the first place. Might have something to do with the overwhelmingly static stages...
And with the level of detail that Brawl had with its stages, they STILL made it in.

But, the 3DS could have had a system similar to the Wii U where it could have limited stage hazards. Or, Sakurai could have been a douche and, to boost New 3DS sales, puts them on there as exclusives.

Top Bottom