• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Battalion - Help Bring Us Out of Hiatus! Apply as a Coder Today!

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Oh? This seems like a project that could get some going to; might I ask, have you come up with the official roster? And if not, might I give at least twenty characters to use the spotlight well?

Reiga

He sold diddy for a switch
3DS FC
1461-7646-7368
Find it a bit strange that characters like Link and Samus aren't getting in on the first demo but Shulk of all characters is, my best guess is that you guys already have sprites created by your members for those characters. (though I think I'd be hard for the first demo have the Monado Arts.)
Good luck and I hope the best for this project.

DimpsyVS

Smash Apprentice
Half the characters chosen for this demo were decided by me since work has already started on some (not sure why Lip is around though...), though this is the case for Dedede yet we have no plans to bring him in yet since it'd feel weird to have Dedede before Kirby (though I think Project M did this so y'know).
However we do have access to GregarLink's sprites now, so we could bring in him, just use the sprites he made.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Oh? This seems like a project that could get some going to; might I ask, have you come up with the official roster? And if not, might I give at least twenty characters to use the spotlight well?
We have a tentative roster, though suggestions are encouraged. But, keep them simple. No non Nintendo fighters (I.E. anyone who hasn't made at least one appearance on a Nintendo system.

Find it a bit strange that characters like Link and Samus aren't getting in on the first demo but Shulk of all characters is, my best guess is that you guys already have sprites created by your members for those characters. (though I think I'd be hard for the first demo have the Monado Arts.)
Good luck and I hope the best for this project.
Shulk is awesome/my main, has sprites, and is also quite popular.

Half the characters chosen for this demo were decided by me since work has already started on some (not sure why Lip is around though...), though this is the case for Dedede yet we have no plans to bring him in yet since it'd feel weird to have Dedede before Kirby (though I think Project M did this so y'know).
However we do have access to GregarLink's sprites now, so we could bring in him, just use the sprites he made.
You mean 'weren't' decided by you.

DimpsyVS

Smash Apprentice
You mean 'weren't' decided by you.
I guess, all characters decided on were pretty obvious aside from Lip (still, I was the one who suggested we had Pit and you did go with it, however that was later dropped).
Mario is the main guy and has complete sprites, top priority anyways.
Pikachu is another really big character who's currently getting sprites made.
Shulk was actually the first character worked on for the game in terms of sprites.
Takamaru is slowly but surely getting big progress made.
Mega Man, well he too has complete sprites.
Lip really is just thrown in because why not, may as well be Link since he also has completed sprites.

Anyways so far, not really any stages have gotten worked on by our team aside from Final Destination, though it seems Keybladeguy has been looking into a spriter who has started work on many SSB4 stages. As to whether this guy is joining us depends on what he says. Though for now I suppose stages aren't as big priority to most, which I don't mind, stages take a lot more time than characters and they're usually most of the meat. Just hope this changes later on (hell, look at SSF2 and older builds of Crusade, despite a rather small roster they ended up with a lot more stages) when we get people more fit for spriting stages.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
This is the only character I'm highly recommending for the project:

Character Name: Leon S. Kennedy
Series: Resident Evil
Appearances on Nintendo: Resident Evil 2 (N64), Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube, Wii, Wii U RCD), Darkside Chronicles (Wii)
Reason: He fits all of the criteria above, and not to mention that he is among the most popular of Capcom characters, right next to Mega Man. He fits very well with his style of acrobatics, fighting and gun play.

Style of Play:
Leon S. Kennedy would be one of the more mobile fighters in the game, boasting great speed and jumping with moderate attack damages and knockback. His normals heavily consist of him using his knife as his weapon, as well as kicks he will do, and even a Punisher handgun on certain attacks. He is capable of zoning and camping games, but his specials are a bit on the slow side.

Unique to him, and only him, is the fact that his ammunition is actually limited, and he would have to reload however many bullets or shells there would be in the guns. If he is KO'd, then all of his ammo will automatically be replenished. Since there would be no way for him to automatically use ammunition, he has infinite ammo at a cost of lower damage for his shots.

Specials:
Neutral Special - Shoot / Reload: An attack that utilizes Down Special (see below), and allows you to attack with the gun of your choice. The damage and ammo is based on the guns (see below after D-Spec). If there's no ammunition, he has to reload (see below after ammunition).

Side Special - Mine Thrower: An attack similar to Samus' side special from Super Smash Bros., except the complete opposite in function. When you use a normal attack, the mine will go straight and latch on, dealing one hit, while when you Smash the special, the dart will home into the opponent and deal 5 hits of damage.

The non-smash version deals 15% damage and moderate knockback, while the Smash version deals 5 hits of 4% damage with decent knockback.

Up Special - Rocket Jump: Leon uses a Rocket Launcher / Special Rocket Launcher to boost himself into a recovery. It works similarly to his Side Special, where the normal Rocket Launcher will be the non-smash variant, while the Special Rocket Launcher is the Smash version, the latter of which giving a higher boost.

The non-smash variant deals 15% damage with the missile alone, but 19% total with missile AND smoke, while the Smash variant will ONLY hit with the missile and can Meteor Smash the opponent.

Down Special - Merchant Pick: An attack that revolves around choosing 6 different guns from the RE games, those being the Handgun, Semi-Automatic Shotgun, TMP, Matilda, the Grenade Launcher and the Handcannon. Based on the kind of gun used, the damage, as well as lag will be produced, with the laggiest, but heaviest hitter being the Handcannon, and the fastest, but weakest, being the TMP.

The damage and ammo capacity is as follows:
Handgun deals 3% damage per shot, with a maximum of 10 shots and low end lag between shots. Can be used consecutively per hit.

Semi-Automatic Shotgun deals 3% per pellet, with 6 different pellets, and has a maximum of 8 shots and high end lag. Can be used consecutively per hit.

TMP deals 1% per shot, with a maximum of 60 shots and very low end lag. Is a rapid fire weapon, but causes no flinching when making contact to opponent.

Matilda deals 3% per shot, 9% per burst, with a maximum of 24 shots and low end lag between bursts. Has to be activated again with a button press.

Grenade Launcher has 5 ammo types -
Acid Rounds deal 5 hits of 3% damage, 15% total, with a maximum of 5 shots and moderate end lag between shots. Cannot flinch opponents.
Incendiary Rounds deal 5 hits of 4% damage, 20% total, with a maximum of 4 shots and moderate end lag between shots. Can flinch opponents.
Explosive Rounds deal 13% damage, with a maximum of 8 shots and high end lag between shots. Grenades set off after 1 and a half seconds.
Flash Rounds deal no damage, with a maximum of 5 shots and very low end lag between shots. They cause controller reversal upon the opponents, and based on how far they are determines how long, with the farthest being half a second, but direct hits make them last 3 seconds.
Shock Rounds deal 5% damage, with a maximum of 6 shots and moderate end lag between shots. They cause the opponent to have high electric hitstun, allowing for attacks upon them.

The Handcannon 18% per shot, with 8 different shots, but very high end lag between shots. Has to be activated again with a button press per shot.

Final Smash - P.R.L. 412
Leon's Final Smash is a multi-directional attack known as the P.R.L. 412, which, upon it coming out, releases a high-energy laser series that targets all of the opponents. The laser splits and will hit all of the opponents to deal a massive 40% damage, as well as a semi-spike. This move can also go through walls, so nowhere is safe against this attack.

...and that's my suggestion. I really do want to see Leon playable in a fighting game, and I hope you all do allow for him to be in the game you are making. I hope this info and stuff could be of use.

...and his accompanying stage?

Los Illuminatos Assault: A stage that is similar to Skyloft, where it lands in 12 different locations; the Village, the Farm, the Swamp, the Lake, the Castle, the mines, the tunnels, the military base, the communications bridge, Krauser's final stand, the shipyard and the Final Battle. Possible tracks would include Jack Krauser's Final Theme, The Regenerator Themes, The Another Side, Wesker's Mercenary Theme, Leon's Mercenary Theme and Saddler's Theme.

So how does this sound? Reasonable?

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Oh, and sorry for the double post, but might I ask if you have an art designer in the game yet? I can be quite the savvy art creator if you don't have one on the team yet~

DimpsyVS

Smash Apprentice
Oh, and sorry for the double post, but might I ask if you have an art designer in the game yet? I can be quite the savvy art creator if you don't have one on the team yet~
It'd be nice to see an example of your work before we know if you'd be of any help right now or not.
If the work's good, we might let you in.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
@ Radical Larry Radical Larry - we've been considering Leon Kennedy as a part of the roster, but keep in mind he's got competition with literally hundreds of other possible challengers, so don't take this as any sort of confirmation, only that he's on the potential list. While I like the playstyle and moveset, we already have another character pretty high on the main list of potential characters who wields a handgun and knife, one actually owned by Nintendo...

But yes we would love to see some examples of your art.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

Video Update #2 - Mario is in the game! We are working very hard to make it look nice. We also now have a tentative stage and aerial attacks, as well as now a down Smash!

In addition, I am pleased to announce we are opening up alpha testing on the game! If you are interested, please send me a pm!

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
@ Radical Larry Radical Larry - we've been considering Leon Kennedy as a part of the roster, but keep in mind he's got competition with literally hundreds of other possible challengers, so don't take this as any sort of confirmation, only that he's on the potential list. While I like the playstyle and moveset, we already have another character pretty high on the main list of potential characters who wields a handgun and knife, one actually owned by Nintendo...

But yes we would love to see some examples of your art.
Very well then, my next post will contain artwork of Takamaru, and the possible Leon S. Kennedy, just to show off the examples. Will be working on them now.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051

Video Update #2 - Mario is in the game! We are working very hard to make it look nice. We also now have a tentative stage and aerial attacks, as well as now a down Smash!

In addition, I am pleased to announce we are opening up alpha testing on the game! If you are interested, please send me a pm!
First thing i noticed is that Mario is very,very floaty. This isn't necessarily a bad thing just letting you know.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
First thing i noticed is that Mario is very,very floaty. This isn't necessarily a bad thing just letting you know.
Don't worry. These are early physics and are by no means final. They can easily be changed in our code.

Reiga

3DS FC
1461-7646-7368
Are you guys needing spriters? 'Cause if you guys want some help with sprites I can help, if you want I can later PM some of my work.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Want to see what this guy can come up with in the level of art? Well, this is just a mugshot of who I hope to be in the game (sorry, I couldn't do Takamaru in the end)...

Everyone, I present to you artwork that I show example of. A character near and dear to my heart and a lot of others, and my tied-for-favorite video game character ever!

Leon S. Kennedy for SSBX.png

So, @ Capybara Gaming Capybara Gaming , what do you think of my style? Remember, this is just an example of my artwork and what I can dish out if under the right atmosphere, time and circumstances. I go for a type of style where the more realistic the series, the more realistic the portraits, and vice-versa.

I put the logos there for no particular reason, other than pertaining to this thread and this thread only. So what do you guys think, may I be the official artist for the Project: Super Smash Bros. X game? And what are your thoughts on the artwork?

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Are you guys needing spriters? 'Cause if you guys want some help with sprites I can help, if you want I can later PM some of my work.
Want to see what this guy can come up with in the level of art? Well, this is just a mugshot of who I hope to be in the game (sorry, I couldn't do Takamaru in the end)...

Everyone, I present to you artwork that I show example of. A character near and dear to my heart and a lot of others, and my tied-for-favorite video game character ever!

View attachment 38082
So, @ Capybara Gaming Capybara Gaming , what do you think of my style? Remember, this is just an example of my artwork and what I can dish out if under the right atmosphere, time and circumstances. I go for a type of style where the more realistic the series, the more realistic the portraits, and vice-versa.

I put the logos there for no particular reason, other than pertaining to this thread and this thread only. So what do you guys think, may I be the official artist for the Project: Super Smash Bros. X game? And what are your thoughts on the artwork?
I will not say yes or no, as the team leader is Keybladeguy and it is his decision. But, I think your style has potential @ Radical Larry Radical Larry , though I think the area around his eyes looks a bit odd.
And I'll say this: in a project like this, there are tons of sprites needed. In other words, it'd be hard to have too many spriters.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Please do!

View attachment 38082

Not bad. Try Takamaru and we might have an agreement.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Sorry I got college so any testing I'll do will be very superficial.

Mr Blokes

Smash Cadet
There is some misinformation here.Let me explain.

Firstly, as @ Capybara Gaming Capybara Gaming said, this demo is far from being a game.It is only a small first step.
Secondly, I officially joined the team for this game on December 23, 2014.That WAS roughly a month ago,
but I actually began development on this engine separately from this project( I.E.,before I joined the team, and actually maybe before this project even existed. )

I may not have actually had very much done once I joined the project and began working on this engine again, but I had something to work off of at least.

Also, this is being made in GameMaker:Studio, which as you may know is well-known for its fast development times.

Anyways, now that that is cleared up, thanks for your feedback.
Well said!

Mr Blokes

Smash Cadet
Greetings. I am the head of Project: Smash Bros. X. Are you interested in our humble little project?
I am but as someone who Watches... Busy building a community of my own currently for Smash :), we just do custom stages on Wii U and play together...

I said "well said" because I understand that testing is a b#$%# and this looks way better than I thought it in movement :)

I'll let you know if time frees up, and if you ever wanna come smash with us in Wii U let me know

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I am but as someone who Watches... Busy building a community of my own currently for Smash :), we just do custom stages on Wii U and play together...

I said "well said" because I understand that testing is a b#$%# and this looks way better than I thought it in movement :)

I'll let you know if time frees up, and if you ever wanna come smash with us in Wii U let me know
Always willing to take on a new challenger. Welcome to SmashBoards, by the way. Stay tuned for further Project: Smash Bros. X updates!

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

Time for a special announcement!

Today we are declaring it to be unofficial Xenoblade Chronicles Day for the Project: Smash Bros. X dev team. As such, we are proud to showcase some new Xenoblade-related content for Project: Smash Bros. X.

Firstly; we will be showing off several animations for Xenoblade's protagonist and Smash Bros. series veteran Shulk!

We've already seen the idle animation, but we're now going to showcase some more!

Please Keep in Mind these Sprites are in NO WAY complete. The animations may be changed and will definitely be touched up in the future.

We have

Running

Jab 1

Jab 2

Jab 3

Next, we are proud to announce Shulk's future home stage in Project: Smash Bros. X: Gaur Plain as it appears in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U makes a return! We don't have much done, but a potential team member has provided us with this in less than 15 hours since it was requested:

Keep in Mind this too is a very early piece. Still, Looking good, Monado Boy!

And what would any good Xenoblade related post be without music?

We are pleased to announce the following three tracks will play on Gaur Plain.
- "Gaur Plain (Xenoblade Chronicles)"
- "You Will Know Our Names (Xenoblade Chronicles)"
- "Engage the Enemy (Xenoblade Chronicles)"

What song would you like to be the fourth and final song for the stage? Keep an eye on this thread, for a poll might just pop up soon....

But wait? There's more? What's this.....

The New Stage Eryth Seas has been revealed! Isn't it just lovely?

Yes, Eryth Sea will appear as a second Xenoblade Chronicles Stage in Project: Smash Bros. X! Not many details have been finallized, but this setting was just too pretty not to include.

That's all for today, but stay tuned for further Project: Smash Bros. X updates!

Reiga

3DS FC
1461-7646-7368

Time for a special announcement!

Today we are declaring it to be unofficial Xenoblade Chronicles Day for the Project: Smash Bros. X dev team. As such, we are proud to showcase some new Xenoblade-related content for Project: Smash Bros. X.

Firstly; we will be showing off several animations for Xenoblade's protagonist and Smash Bros. series veteran Shulk!

We've already seen the idle animation, but we're now going to showcase some more!

Please Keep in Mind these Sprites are in NO WAY complete. The animations may be changed and will definitely be touched up in the future.

We have

Running

Jab 1

Jab 2

Jab 3

Next, we are proud to announce Shulk's future home stage in Project: Smash Bros. X: Gaur Plain as it appears in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U makes a return! We don't have much done, but a potential team member has provided us with this in less than 15 hours since it was requested:

Keep in Mind this too is a very early piece. Still, Looking good, Monado Boy!

And what would any good Xenoblade related post be without music?

We are pleased to announce the following three tracks will play on Gaur Plain.
- "Gaur Plain (Xenoblade Chronicles)"
- "You Will Know Our Names (Xenoblade Chronicles)"
- "Engage the Enemy (Xenoblade Chronicles)"

What song would you like to be the fourth and final song for the stage? Keep an eye on this thread, for a poll might just pop up soon....

But wait? There's more? What's this.....

The New Stage Eryth Seas has been revealed! Isn't it just lovely?

Yes, Eryth Sea will appear as a second Xenoblade Chronicles Stage in Project: Smash Bros. X! Not many details have been finallized, but this setting was just too pretty not to include.

That's all for today, but stay tuned for further Project: Smash Bros. X updates!

The running animation is looking kind of choppy at the moment in my opinion, since the sprites aren't final you should touch up with extra frames.
The other animations look really good though, I especially like the blue trail from the Monado.

DimpsyVS

Smash Apprentice
For the record, this is the actual GIF for Shulk's run animation.

Joltzen actually touched up on it a bit, but I still think a rework is in need.

DimpsyVS

Smash Apprentice
I think it's best to discuss things besides characters not confirmed yet, I'll go ahead and just tell you this though.
Smash 64 veterans are back when sprites for them are done, that's to be a given.
Veterans at all will be plenty, Melee to Smash 4.
Ofc, newcomers are a huge given.
No current plans to borrow from Project M aside from a thing or two which we'll show some other time.
Pretty much just depends on sprites and if it's towards a planned character.

Last edited:
Top Bottom