• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise Tournament (SRT)

brningpyre

Smash Lord
Alberta may get as many as 4-5 people coming, maybe more.

Can someone confirm if I've got the right spot here?

Should probably have the official site in the OP, as well.

I assume it's the same Sunrise Tournament, though this one says it was cancelled due to the earthquake. I guess it was just delayed until then?

Dude, where are you seeing this? Cuz totally awesome.
I'm getting $614 each way just through Air Canada.

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
What airport are you flying into?

Frio

Smash Champion
Is the date 100% confirmed? We want to buy our tickets early to get them cheap. It would be a big ***** if they moved the date.

brningpyre

Smash Lord
What airport are you flying into?
Most people are probably going to be flying into the Tokyo Narita Airport. How familiar is everyone with Japan's rail system, and rail passes?

[collapse=Subway/Train Information]Basically, before you go, you can choose to buy a foreigners-only rail pass. This allows you to ride all JR (Japan Rail) trains for free, throughout Japan. That includes almost all their bullet trains as well (but not the very fastest ones). Japan Rail is one of the biggest Japanese train companies, and they have service to almost everywhere.

If you're going to be sight-seeing Japan outside of Tokyo, it's a must-have. If you're just going within Tokyo, rail tickets are pretty cheap from one spot to the other (couple of bucks each way at the most). But you have to get the foreigners-only rail pass BEFORE you travel to Japan. You cannot buy them within Japan.

There are many sites to buy them from (as well as most travel agents), like this one. They're pricy, but if you're going outside Tokyo on the bullet trains (Osaka and Kyoto are amazing, Osaka was my favourite spot in Japan when I was last there), it'll save you a **** ton of money. Bullet trains are amazing, expensive, and fast, and this lets you ride them for free.

Before you go to Japan, you purchase a voucher (usually mailed to you after you order it). Once in Japan, you can exchange this voucher for the rail pass, which you should keep with your passport at all times.
(technically, you're legally required to have your passport on you at all times, or you may be deported. In practice, though, this is almost never enforced, unless you get busted by the police for something)

If you're flying into Narita (as I suspect most will be, since the tournament's in Tokyo), there's a Japan Rail line that goes straight from the airport to all the major stations. You have to book a seat on that train, but if you have the pass, it's free. You don't have to book seats for any other trains, even the bullet trains (unless you pay a **** ton for 1st class).

---

Here's the Tokyo subway map (alt). Trust me, it's much simpler than it looks. Each different colour represents a different rail company (which compete with each other to keep prices low, yay Japan). JR is the brack-and-white one, that circles around through the major districts (like Akihabara, Ikebukuro, and Shibuya). Bullet trains aren't on this map.

When you ride a train, you'll prepay a ticket when you go through the entrance to the station, and then pay the difference (if any) when you get off at your stop. You pay more the farther you go, and if you're transferring to a different line, you'll have to pay when you exit one company's section and again when you enter the other's. The prices are listed when you prepay the ticket, so you don't have to worry about misjudging or anything.

ex. You leave your hotel in Ikebukuro, and want to weeaboo it up in Akiba (Akihabara). You get on the rail station right next to your hotel (90% of everything important in Tokyo is a 2-5 minute walk from a rail station, especially hotels). At the JR ticket stiles, you go to the far-right or far-left (varies per station, but there's almost always bi-lingual signs) for the walk through. You show your pass to the agent and jsut walk through for free, and then get on the next train leaving for Akiba (there'll be like four spots in the station for you to get on).[/collapse]
Any word on cheap tickets?

Solid Jake

The Arcanum
Tokyo~~~~ I think I might create a guide of things to do for people if anyone is interested.... Pretty unlikely I will be able to go myself .. but who knows

brningpyre

Smash Lord
You guys don't have to get the train pass, LOL. It's way cheaper not to, if you're just going around Tokyo.

Food in Japan (and Tokyo) is really cheap, unless you go to a pretty swank place. And if you're rooming with a Japanese player, lodging will be free. Hotels are pretty cheap too. Last time I went, we had a really nice three person room for $90 a night ($30/person).

Asa

Smash Hero
riding a bullet train sounds hella hype. what would be the best way to get a hold of japanese players for housing?

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
I'm still looking for RAIN or other Japanese players. If anyone could help me to contact them as soon as possible, I would be EXTREMELY grateful.

Thanks in advance!

Keitaro

Wait, so will trains even be necessary? If the tourney is in Tokyo and the airport is in Tokyo will you have to take any trains?

Keitaro

If I do end up going I think I'd only sight see in Tokyo. One city (and probably the most important) is good enough for me. I could do the rest another time if I feel like it.

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
If I had the money I would go to this to vs new people and as an excuse to visit Japan even though I would probably get owned.

TSM ZeRo

For those of you that are planning to go, make sure to pay a visit to Akihabara!

"Akihabara (秋葉原), also called Akiba after a former local shrine, is a district in central Tokyo, that is famous for its many electronics shops. In more recent years, Akihabara has gained recognition as the center of Japan's otaku (diehard fan) culture, and many shops and establishments devoted to anime and manga are now dispersed among the electronic stores in the district."

(Basically, you can find ANYTHING about Videogames/Anime at Akihabara).

For more information about Akihabara, click here

If I end up going (I really, really, REALLY want to visit Japan and attend this tournament. Visiting Japan has always been one of my dreams haha) (Actually, let's be more positive about this. Instead of "If" I am going to say instead "I AM 100% GOING TO VISIT JAPAN, VISIT AKIHABARA AND PLAY THE BEST JAPANESE PLAYERS"), I am DEFINITELY spending a couple of DAYS (Yes yes YES! haha) there! I really want to see EVERYTHING they have! And of course, buy a lot of things!!!!

Ahhh, just thinking about it makes me happy! (I am smiling right now, hahahaa!)

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
"Warning! The last reply to this thread was posted over a month ago. Please make sure you are not unnecessarily bumping this thread before replying."

--

For myself, Frio, brningpyre and Kyle, the road to Sunrise has begun. Keep this **** on the front page! We're just five months away!

[EDIT]

I think we're the first Canadians confirmed for this. If it winds up just being us four, Canada will be repped by an electric rodent :pika:, a batball with a sword :metaknight:, a greedy flatulent italian :wario:, and a hedgehog :sonic:

Frio

Smash Champion
any word on housing? We wouldn't mind being housed for few days while the tournament is going on.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
More hype for this tournament, period. Why this hasn't picked up more steam is mind boggling.

Also. HOUSING. Somebody hook us up! Where's the info?!

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
If I get infracted for this, well... I ain't sorry. But is there anyone I can talk to in regards to the tournament and what else is going on with it? Because we're about three months away and it's about time this got more momentum. Headcount.

Whose all going? I forget who told me in the Top 5 thread, but I know that Vinnie is taking the trip?

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I have a friend stationed in Japan that I really wanna see. I can go around this time and stay for like 2 weeks and hit up the tourney that weekend...

I may go =)

Edit: But I SERIOUSLY gotta train. Their randoms would probably make me look like someone's mom trying to play...

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I have a friend stationed in Japan that I really wanna see. I can go around this time and stay for like 2 weeks and hit up the tourney that weekend...

I may go =)

Edit: But I SERIOUSLY gotta train. Their randoms would probably make me look like someone's mom trying to play...
Again, you got 3 months to make a difference. I know when I go I'm going to place. That's my goal. I don't see a whole lot of Sonics around.

Top Bottom