• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise Tournament (SRT)

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Alright, so obviously this OP will be later updated and taken over by someone more legit than myself, but I'm planning on going, and I keep hearing buzz about this all over Facebook, so I figured it's time to start getting organized.

For those of you that don't know, Rain announced at Apex that he'll be hosting his Annual Sunrise Tournament, this August. There will be cash prizes. Japan has come here a number of times, so let's repay the favor, and win back our titles from them.

We need to collecting information:

Who is planning on going?
What's the cheapest way to get there?
What's the ruleset?

First off, it makes way more sense for us all to travel together. I've heard so many people just here on the East Coast are planning on going, and I can't imagine how many of us are going to make it out to Japan. Let's gather here to organize travel plans, so we can hopefully all travel in groups together. We might be able to get discounted tickets if we all fly with the same airline. But first we need to see who is interested in going.

To those frequent flyers out there like myself, I'm calling all hands to price tracking. Japan is very expensive to fly to, and it will also be expensive to stay there. The tournament is only three days, but seriously, if you're planning on flying all the way to Japan, don't stay for just the tournament. Personally, I've already taken off work for two weeks. Lets find out what are the best rates we can all get, and talk about hotels in Japan, so that we can make this stay both enjoyable and affordable.

Lastly, we need to all level up if we want to avenge ourselves for Apex and take back the title of "Best in the World" from Japan. This means constant, hardcore, training. But we can't train if we don't know the rules. If the ruleset mimics the last SRT, then it can be found in the comments of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miJtuPoD44k

And just as a few extras, we need information on livestream if available. I would love to know if there's going to be Melee at this event. Also, if anyone knows the exact TIMES the event will be going on.

UPDATE:

Found this blog by Suinoko on AiB. It has some information
http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=131597

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=131775
Check out Doom's blog to see why you should all help support his trip to Japan. Livestreaming at a Japanese Tourney will only be the greatest hype I've ever seen ever.

Also, keep spreading the word. Link this thread in your social threads, your Facebook, your Twitter. Let everyone know that we're going to JAPAN!

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Must find a way to get there! I found a round trip flight for $1321. I will need to start saving every penny I own, and start winning locals haha.

Cyberman6

Smash Apprentice
I'm really interested going to this. Money isn't a problem, but wondering if there was going to be housing from the Japanese or would hotels have to be brought.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I'll ask Suinoko for a full rule list and then I'll get it out there when I work through some translating, but I'm average at best in this, so it might take some time/I'll get some help.

Roxas M

Smash Master
Thank you, Pierce. A thread like this will be extremely helpful for those who are planning on saving for the trip out there. Hopefully this cam be used to coordinate flights, possible cheap flight deals that everyone can get on at the same time, and other things.

I plan on going myself(depending on how the estimated cost would be for everything) and would love to meet all the other smashers going as well.

For WC, iirc, flights go for around $860. So WC people can start planning their budget around that and add on extra money as needed from there.

Also, I don't know much about international travel rules, but do they some sort of inspections for electronics that you take with you overseas? I'd love to bring some of my recording equipment as well, but I don't want it going through a crapload of inspections and end up on a fight to Rome or something by accident.

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
I'm interested too

I need to start saving money :urg:

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
I'm really interested, but I won't decide until I get a new car, that comes first. So probably like 20% chance I'll go for now.

Jamnt0ast

Smash Journeyman
I would LOVE to go. Paying $2000 for this trip isn't a possibility, however, so I would need to get a flight deal somehow.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Hey Folks-

Looks like there is a hotel nearby for about 90 bucks a night.

If you have google chrome, run map searches for hotels in the area, then let it auto translate the pages for you. According to the pictures and the translation, 2 beds runs for 6800 yen a night. The biggest cost will be getting there and back.

In addition, you may be able to use priceline or tripadvisor to schedule fares for a round trip. If you book now, you will be able to save a ton of money. Looks like you might be able to score a round trip for 500-1000 if you set it up now. Add in splitting 90 dollar night rooms for maybe a week or so with 4 people would just make it maybe a 700-800 dollar bare minimum expense trip. Add in your basic needs and your'e looking at probably 1100-1200 bucks to pull it off at a minimum.

There are 30 weeks before the event, so if you save $40 a week (or $80 per paycheck) you should be able to save up the necessary funds.

I'd also like to remind everyone that Japan uses the NTSC grid so you should be able to hook up your stuff to the power- the Japanese do not typically have Grounded power ports so if you have a laptop with a grounded charger make sure you take one of those plugs that adapt it. They also run at a lower volt not higher so there is a chance some things may not work right but it won't damage it like a euro plug would.

If you plan on streaming- just make sure you have the necessary power adapting equipment to keep things rolling.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Also, the official rules are here, i'm double translating this since the translator didn't come out perfect:

Basic Rules
3 Stock
10-minute time limit (8 minutes for pools)
Two preemption (qualifying one, since WF is 3) (i think this means 2 rounds of pools, with the first round best of 1))
Double Elimination bracket
With key configuration no idea what this means
Pause function OFF

Limit rule
No modded controllers
Infinites are banned for the purpose of delaying the game (maximum 350% damage)
Intentionally freezing or bugging the game is banned
50 LGL comes into play if the time is up
Roughly: Stalling under the stage is prohibited, you must come up to the other side of the stage if you fly under (this one didn't make a whole lot of sense)

How to undo the bottom of the cliff round conditions
(if more were attacked% on either on the stage, except when returning to or moving cars). (I don't understand this one- anyone want to take a shot?)
In the event of Sudden bursts simultaneously with, and gave the winner of the overall higher damage% (added 2011/1/11) (someone may want to get this clarified or accurately translate it. Sounds like this would be our normal timeout rule but translation doesn't think so.

Flow of the game

For the first game
RPS for ports
Loser of RPS choose the first strike, winner of RPS chooses the 2nd strike
Both players choose a character (if not determined secret order)

For Match 2 and 3

The loser may be selected for the port
The winner can ban a stage on the list
The loser may select a stage that is remaining
Decree winners
Decree losers
Are determined to repeat the 1-5 victory

The basic stages
Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville

Stage counter
Yoshi's Island
Rats cruise line (I think this is Delfino Plaza, but who knows)
Pokemon Stadium 1
If the time is up

Determine the winner if the time limit expires in the following way
Cliff caught many times (if you lose one player has more than 50 times)
Number of Remaining Stock
Damage percent of the time up
1 to 3 is the same conclusion as in Stage 1 Stock

Pools Tie Breakers:
Victories
Number of Remaining Stocks (Note this is not something we do, and i think its a great idea)
The number of stocka stolen (dunno why this is in here)
Head-to-head results against
If the same conclusion in 1-4 RPS (lmao RPS breaks a tie at last resort. In NFL they have a coin flip as the 13th tiebreaker)

Luigisama

Smash Champion
I'll see you there doom. According to Karamity there are only two luigis in Japan. I want to meet them.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
If we can find a way to kill the ****ING ENORMOUS service + tax fees, I can go no problem.

DRN

Smash Lord
Kismet and I are gonna try to go to this. I've always wanted to visit Japan.

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
I am very interested to attend this tournament. I just need money to attend it.

Plane tickets from Chile are about $2.200 dollars. Plus, other expenses. So it's about a $3.500 dollar trip. (Taking in account insurances, hotel money in case of emergencies, emergencies money, money for the tournament, and money to eat and live and other expenses covered).

Does someone know how I can contact any Japanese player? Rain? Maybe Nietono, Otori, Kakera? Please PM me the answer if you know it. Thanks.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I want to get really mad at you guys for not thanking Tantalus at all for his translation services.
Then I want to get mad for not checking the blog where I posted some of the rules already.

Xonar wrote at 7:08 AM on Jan 12, 2012 :
IDC = バグ以外戦法自由

You can only go under the stage ONCE (all characters!), after that, you are prohibited from doing so until the percent changes on either player OR you land on the stage.

Xonar wrote at 9:19 AM on Jan 12, 2012 :
Okay so I've been talking to Suinoko, and once again, the rule is something like this for IDC:

You can only extend MetaKnight's DownB ONCE, for 10 seconds MAXIMAL, after that, you are prohibited from doing so until the percent changes on either player.
With key configuration no idea what this means
means you can adjust controls

In the event of Sudden bursts simultaneously with, and gave the winner of the overall higher damage% (added 2011/1/11) (someone may want to get this clarified or accurately translate it. Sounds like this would be our normal timeout rule but translation doesn't think so.
If players lose the last stock at the same time and go to sudden death, the one who has the highest % wins.

Rats cruise line (I think this is Delfino Plaza, but who knows)
This is Lylat Cruise

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
[12:43:48 | Edited 12:44:03] Suinoko: they dont need to search hotels
[12:44:57] Suinoko: we take many smashfest, so players can stay players houses

That's from Suinoko, bros. Be happy.

edit: that means that you guys need to figure out as soon as possible if you are going or not!

edit2: I'm way too nice for you guys, I ain't even going myself

edit3:
[16:09:10] Pop Daddy: haha
[16:09:14] Pop Daddy: i will be watching!
[16:09:28] Pop Daddy: Diem, Doom and vVv Chibosempai want to set up a stream
[16:09:32] Pop Daddy: like apex2012 had
[16:09:36] Pop Daddy: so that everyone can watch
[16:09:45] Suinoko: there are some LAN cable point
[16:09:52] Suinoko: so we can do

edit4:
IDC will be banned.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Blackanese and I are pretty much definitely going. We'll be doing Directional Influence live at the tournament concurrently, and working with, Diem, Doom, and Chibo.

Most likely we'll be in Osaka for a bit before staying in Tokyo for ~1-2 weeks. If any Japanese players can give us housing for that time, we'd really appreciate it (if you're reading this xD).

Blacka and I are starting to get things done. I'm getting my passport done next week, as well as confirming airfare and housing as soon as possible. We'll update people if we find any clutch deals or anything.

Top Bottom