• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

D

Deleted member

Except Rex was "deconfirmed" by Sakurai himself. Remember when he said XC2 was too new to have been elegible for the Fighters Pass so he's giving us the costume?
I meant the principal of the thing, the same reason why Ashley and Shadow presumably didn't so well in the ballot: people thought they had 0 chance. This isn't about Rex specifically who has a near 0% chance

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
You know...

Why would ATs and Spirits disconfirm characters anyway?

Okay, hear me out. Look, in order to force it so that ATs and Spirits don't overlap with 1st Party (and some 3rd Party) DLC characters, those characters would have to not show up in any form whatsoever within the game (at least in the parts a normal player can see).

Let's say they were making (pulling a character we know is a spirit) Dixie Kong as a DLC fighter, when people get the game, fans will realise very quickly that Dixie is strangely missing from all parts of the game. This would immediately give away that they are doing something with Dixie (because she recently appeared in Tropical Freeze, so there's no way anyone would be justified in saying she's not important enough to show up or some claptrap like that).

This goes similarly with my thoughts on Isaac; let's say they're making Isaac as a DLC character, they would be justified in not including him as an Assist Trophy because he'll show up later, but that creates a minor problem; because of the general secrecy surrounding character inclusions, fans of Isaac will be left wondering where Isaac was had he not shown up as an AT, not only that, but there are Golden Sun spirits in the game (Felix and Matthew have been discovered), so if Felix and Matthew were spirits and Isaac was a no-show? That'd elicit a big "HMMMMMMMMMMM!" from the fans.

If Golden Sun didn't appear at all, then that'd send the wrong message to the fans (that Golden Sun isn't important enough to get into Smash).

What's better? Causing minor disappointment by introducing Isaac as an Assist Trophy before (hypothetically) DLC, or causing major disappointment (and/or rampant conspiracies) by not having him at all until (again, hypothetically) DLC? Not only that, but Isaac's appearance spurred Golden Sun fans to rally together to show their love for the franchise, which might not have happened if Isaac wasn't an Assist Trophy (because of crushed spirits).

I don't know, maybe I'm rambling.
It would be a genius idea. No one would expect it, even the hopeful ones would be surprised. Especially when a legit leak happens and says that certain ATs like Isaac are a new DLC character, almost NO ONE will believe it. Imagine Vergeben leaked that? Everyone would go nuts like with the Grinch Leak. Honestly, that would be fun to watch.

Except Rex was "deconfirmed" by Sakurai himself. Remember when he said XC2 was too new to have been elegible for the Fighters Pass so he's giving us the costume?
I mean, the way he worded it felt like he hopes to put in Rex someday, but made the Mii costume to satisfy the fans for the time being. But who knows at this point really?

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
If they aren't planning on doing a GS game solo perhaps they could make the NRPG (N is for Nintendo) and have characters from different franchises in it? Their library of characters is huge and it would be easier to implement alot of dormant franchises than a fighting game. I have been thinking about this for the past week and if done correctly could be a very interesting and awesome concept.
"I have been thinking about this for the past week," you said. I've been thinking about something like that for the past decade lol. But probably it would be weird for it to coexist with Smash. Also, it would be much harder imo to turn a game like that into a party game as big and popular as Smash; the audience would be completely different. So personally I would love something like that but I totally see why they wouldn't do it.

With Isaac being at number 5 and Rex/Pyra being at number 8 for most wanted DLC, I'm glad that people are starting to understand that the whole "AT/Mii Costumes/Final Smashes deconfirm characters" thing is just a fanmade rule
Yeah and Skull Kid/Waluigi are pretty high too.

--------
Couple of other notes about that poll:
Definitely some recency bias. No way Incineroar was overall more hype than Ridley, for example. It's just that Ridley's reveal was awhile ago. People mentioned Hollow Knight already, so there's that, and also Mach Rider is pretty high after the Grinch leak (not sure if that will last, though some of it might).
Hector above Lyn is a bit weird. Probably a combination of Lyn being an AT, Hector's popularity in FE:Heroes, and "two many swordsmen muh." At this point I'd be fine with almost anybody from FE7, though.
Isaac still being so high despite his AT status also reinforces the idea that we should keep pushing him instead of switching to Matthew or Felix.

Also, did Takamaru fall off a cliff or what?

Edit: don't see Ashley on there either

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Also, did Takamaru fall off a cliff or what?
Sakurai believes the character is still too unknown outside of Japan, despite the Nintendo Land minigame and the worldwide release of The Mysterious Murasame Castle on 3DS.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I agree, and that puts Rex into an interesting position. Because Rex was the ONLY CHARACTER singled out in this way. Presumably anyone else from Xenoblade 2 counts as well, of course. But beyond that? That actually makes it interesting. Sakurai specifically went out to call out Rex in that way, but not any of the AT's, spirits, or other mii fighter costumes.

You know...

Okay, hear me out. Look, in order to force it so that ATs and Spirits don't overlap with 1st Party (and some 3rd Party) DLC characters, those characters would have to not show up in any form whatsoever within the game (at least in the parts a normal player can see).

Let's say they were making (pulling a character we know is a spirit) Dixie Kong as a DLC fighter, when people get the game, fans will realise very quickly that Dixie is strangely missing from all parts of the game. This would immediately give away that they are doing something with Dixie (because she recently appeared in Tropical Freeze, so there's no way anyone would be justified in saying she's not important enough to show up or some claptrap like that).

This goes similarly with my thoughts on Isaac; let's say they're making Isaac as a DLC character, they would be justified in not including him as an Assist Trophy because he'll show up later, but that creates a minor problem; because of the general secrecy surrounding character inclusions, fans of Isaac will be left wondering where Isaac was had he not shown up as an AT, not only that, but there are Golden Sun spirits in the game (Felix and Matthew have been discovered), so if Felix and Matthew were spirits and Isaac was a no-show? That'd elicit a big "HMMMMMMMMMMM!" from the fans.

If Golden Sun didn't appear at all, then that'd send the wrong message to the fans (that Golden Sun isn't important enough to get into Smash).

What's better? Causing minor disappointment by introducing Isaac as an Assist Trophy before (hypothetically) DLC, or causing major disappointment (and/or rampant conspiracies) by not having him at all until (again, hypothetically) DLC? Not only that, but Isaac's appearance spurred Golden Sun fans to rally together to show their love for the franchise, which might not have happened if Isaac wasn't an Assist Trophy (because of crushed spirits).

I completely agree with this statement. The argument that anything in the base game deconfirms characters in ridiculous. Sakurai's trying to please everybody, and if they were singling out DLC and removing that content from the base game that'd be completely ridiculous. And Mewtwo and Lucas both had trophies in the base game of Wii U as well, but still got new trophies as DLC.

At this point, I think the only thing that deconfirms characters is Sakurai himself (namely, he called out Rex, implying Rex isn't DLC), and when things like Mii Fighter costumes are added as DLC. And even then, let's say they do a Season 2 later. Any mii fighter costumes in "Season 1" only deconfirm that character for Season 1, not for a possible Season 2.

Not that I think we'll get a large amount of AT's promoted as playable or anything either. But I don't think we can rule out anything all the same.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
And that's actually, for what we know, the case for some Nintendo characters, like Elma and some Kirby characters.

And, moreover, Elma have this discussion for her. That would soften the disappointment that roster was for a RPG guy like me.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Sakurai believes the character is still too unknown outside of Japan, despite the Nintendo Land minigame and the worldwide release of The Mysterious Murasame Castle on 3DS.
I mean yeah, there are real reasons just like those as to why Takamaru is an AT for the second consecutive game. But did Sakurai saying Ridley wasn't possible make Ridley supporters stop supporting him? People who really like Takamaru won't stop liking Takamaru because of that. Granted, he was never a big-time request on the scale of Isaac, Waluigi, etc., but I'd expect him to at least be in the top 50 (for example, he was surely more popular than Mach Rider pre-Grinch leak).

Still, you're right that it's not an overly shocking omission; just was expecting him to be on there towards the bottom.

And that's actually, for what we know, the case for some Nintendo characters, like Elma and some Kirby characters.

And, moreover, Elma have this discussion for her. That would soften the disappointment that roster was for a RPG guy like me.
Wait...Nintendo-owned sword user such that Hitagi likes their design but doesn't know who they are?
.............****GS4 protagonist intensifies****

*realizes it could still be FE character #8*

RIP

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717

Nintendo Sword User with a cool design hm? Isaac is that you?

It is probably a FE character lol

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
And that's actually, for what we know, the case for some Nintendo characters, like Elma and some Kirby characters..
"Yet" you mean.

We haven't seen much yet, only around 400. Odds are, Elma is a Spirit. I can see Bandana Waddle Dee not being one because Sakurai only considers it to be "Waddle Dee", which is a Spirit, but even that I find unlikely, and "Waddle Dee" could easily promote into "Bandana Waddle Dee" as an example.

With likely over 1000 spirits, there's barely going to be ANY Nintendo characters that don't get one, and those that don't will be incredibly minor. Its absolutely insane to think Spirits deconfirm characters.

Every time Sakurai puts up a new list of Spirits, we see a whole bunch more we hadn't seen before. Until last week's 11/8 spirit update, we hadn't seen half the characters on that list, including Spring Man (who is an AT already, of course, but we hadn't seen a Spirit for him).

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Nintendo Sword User with a cool design hm? Isaac is that you?

It is probably a FE character lol
If Hitagi is right then Steve is playable and no spirits will be promoted as DLC to his knowledge (then again, he didn't specifically say Assist Trophies wouldn't, and we haven't seen an Isaac Spirit yet).

If FE gets a character, Edelgard seems like the best bet. While she can use swords, we've only seen her fighting with axes so far, and I honestly believe Sakurai would go with Axes so she'd be more varied. We also know she can use magic. In all honesty, I doubt its an FE newcomer if the DLC sword fighter part is legit.

I can't think of another plausible sword wielding first-party newcomer other than maybe Elma? I thought she focused on dual guns, but I've heard she uses swords as well.

Besides FE, GS, or Elma, what other first-party sword wielder could be added?

TheSpaceKing12

Banned via Warnings
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
If Hitagi is right then Steve is playable and no spirits will be promoted as DLC to his knowledge (then again, he didn't specifically say Assist Trophies wouldn't, and we haven't seen an Isaac Spirit yet).

If FE gets a character, Edelgard seems like the best bet. While she can use swords, we've only seen her fighting with axes so far, and I honestly believe Sakurai would go with Axes so she'd be more varied. We also know she can use magic. In all honesty, I doubt its an FE newcomer if the DLC sword fighter part is legit.

I can't think of another plausible sword wielding first-party newcomer other than maybe Elma? I thought she focused on dual guns, but I've heard she uses swords as well.

Takamaru and dark meta knight.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Every time Sakurai puts up a new list of Spirits, we see a whole bunch more we hadn't seen before. Until last week's 11/8 spirit update, we hadn't seen half the characters on that list, including Spring Man (who is an AT already, of course, but we hadn't seen a Spirit for him).
Spring Man has a spirit?

Well, if we end up getting ATs and Spirits, and then some ATs don't have Spirits, that might be something to look at.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Takamaru and dark meta knight.
Yeah both those options are even less likely than the ones I mentioned.

Spring Man has a spirit?

Well, if we end up getting ATs and Spirits, and then some ATs don't have Spirits, that might be something to look at.
https://www.smashbros.com/data/bs/en_US/ja_JP/img/208_1_EN.jpg

EDIT:
There's another one here as well, Yuri from Fatal Frame.

https://www.smashbros.com/data/bs/en_US/ja_JP/img/208_2_EN.jpg

EDIT 2:
Just to add on another thing, I just blatantly think every notable Nintendo character will have a spirit, and every AT as well. I don't think Spirits will mean jack **** about DLC. Moreso than anything else. AT's are more questionable, but I don't think they're outright killers either.

Last edited:

TheSpaceKing12

Banned via Warnings
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
Yeah both those options are even less likely than the ones I mentioned.

https://www.smashbros.com/data/bs/en_US/ja_JP/img/208_1_EN.jpg

EDIT:
There's another one here as well, Yuri from Fatal Frame.

https://www.smashbros.com/data/bs/en_US/ja_JP/img/208_2_EN.jpg
Dark meta knights chances rode on the prospect of being an echo. But if that is not an avenue they can take or would take, he’s dead I n the water. However. If we assume that AT’s don’t deconfirm fighters, which is the same logical leap we need to make to justify Isaac at this point, I would argue he is more likely due to ultimate not having a first party retro rep as of now, (no k rool don’t count) and him being probably the easiest choice.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Playable characters in XCX have two sets of weapons: a melee and a range. Elma uses double gun and double blade. She's more known for the double gun, but her artwork in XC2 is with double blade.

Link since images doesn't work

She could get an interesting moveset, switching between both weapons. Actually, I think she's my most wanted character as DLC, since Isaac is most probably deconfirmed.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Dark meta knights chances rode on the prospect of being an echo. But if that is not an avenue they can take or would take, he’s dead I n the water. However. If we assume that AT’s don’t deconfirm fighters, which is the same logical leap we need to make to justify Isaac at this point, I would argue he is more likely due to ultimate not having a first party retro rep as of now, (no k rool don’t count) and him being probably the easiest choice.
The answer is simple. We're not getting a first-party retro rep.

Playable characters in XCX have two sets of weapons: a melee and a range. Elma uses double gun and double blade. She's more known for the double gun, but her artwork in XC2 is with double blade.

Link since images doesn't work

She could get an interesting moves et, switching between both weapons. Actually, I think she's my most wanted character as DLC, since Isaac is most probably deconfirmed.
I think she'd go with the double guns because that'd be a more unique moveset. And honestly, I don't see Elma happening with Nintendo picking the DLC. X isn't something they can promote on Switch because its already been confirmed that its not being ported to Switch, and X didn't sell well to begin with. Rex would make more sense as they can still try and sell Xenoblade 2, but Sakurai basically killed any chances of Rex.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The thing is is that there is no indication that she's legit and Vergeben doesn't even back her claims, he just says that he kinda sorta trusts her. If Vergeben were to say silent on this we wouldn't even give Hitagi the time of day

And I say this as someone who's two most wanteds are swordfighters

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The thing is is that there is no indication that she's legit and Vergeben doesn't even back her claims, he just says that he kinda sorta trusts her. If Vergeben were to say silent on this we wouldn't even give Hitagi the time of day

And I say this as someone who's two most wanteds are swordfighters
I'm only bringing it up as a hypothetical. I absolutely do not trust Hitagi for Smash. Hitagi doesn't have a track record of Smash leaks.

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
The thing about Rex is that (assuming mii costumes arent deconfirmations) if he's also dlc, there will be xc2 music along with him. But aren't they already putting xc2 music with the mii costume? Depending on which tracks and how many they added, that's pretty telling about his chances. And the lack of XCX is interesting tbh. Wouldn't surprise me if elma was dlc

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The thing about Rex is that (assuming mii costumes arent deconfirmations) if he's also dlc, there will be xc2 music along with him. But aren't they already putting xc2 music with the mii costume? Depending on which tracks and how many they added, that's pretty telling about his chances. And the lack of XCX is interesting tbh. Wouldn't surprise me if elma was dlc
I don't think Mii costumes are deconfirmation. Or AT's. Or spirits.

I think Sakurai flat out saying "Yeah we couldn't add Rex because he came too late, so here's a costume" is a deconfirmation.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
And the lack of XCX is interesting tbh. Wouldn't surprise me if elma was dlc
The only piece of Xenoblade X content in Ultimate that is known about is a single spirit of a Skell. X has received no music, no Assist Trophy, and no Mii Costumes. That is extremely suspicious. I personally think Elma is one of the frontrunners alongside Bandana Dee for being DLC for Ultimate. If these characters lack spirits in Ultimate, then they are probably being saved for DLC.

On a side note, I have not made a comment in this topic since Isaac's de-confirmation. When I have the time, I will make a lengthy comment on it.

TheSpaceKing12

Banned via Warnings
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
Considering Jon from gamexplain has been very serious about Rex in his twitter predictions. I say he’s in. I’m Just predicting awful choices so I can be happy when I’m wrong. A pessimist is secretly an optimist becuas they always hope they’re wrong.

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
I don't think Mii costumes are deconfirmation. Or AT's. Or spirits.

I think Sakurai flat out saying "Yeah we couldn't add Rex because he came too late, so here's a costume" is a deconfirmation.
Fair enough. My main point is that adding the music along with that statement makes it almost certainly a deconfirmation

Last edited:

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
You know...

I'd agree with you in fact. This is completely logically sound. Deconfirmation only matters if the DLC doesn't tell us who the characters are. But like you said, if all content of a character is absent - or worse, removed - fans will clearly see what's going on. In which case, there's no point hiding who the characters are.

Besides, Sakurai is no stranger to breaking some rules. No Sonic because no 3rd party characters? Think again! Only named characters? Wii Fit Trainer and Villager. And now, we've had Piranha Plant. If Sakurai wants to add Isaac or Shadow or whoever else, he will do it. Maybe replace the character in the trophy by someone else who fits (Matthew for Isaac, Silver for Shadow). Not to mention the WOW factor which would set the fanbase ablaze with excitement "ATs can be promoted?!!"

As for Hitagi... not trusting him/her one bit. Never have. A lot of "maybe"s or "I don't know"s at first, now contradicting statements and latest of all: "I'm excited for a character I know nothing about, neither their name nor the series they're from". Talk about trustworthy...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
You know...

There’s also the possibility that DLC will be characters you wouldn’t expect to have Spirits in the first place. As in, characters from third party franchises.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Yeah when it comes to Smash DLC, possible future DLC seasons, idea of AT promotions, Hitagi, etc. I'm definitely taking a "wait and see" approach. If we get some cool characters, great, if Sakurai promotes Isaac to be playable, Sakurai will forever be awesome in my books, if we get lame characters, then eh, I'm already used to disappointment at this point after witnessing Lyn, Shovel Knight, and of course Isaac being sent to AT hell (again for a couple of them).

At this point the thing that's hyping me the most is that according to some early tier list predictions, all the characters I'm interested in playing are apparently atleast good, with some being really good. Megaman, ZSS, Simon, K Rool, and even Zelda! It's also nice to see that Bayonetta and Cloud might not be stupidly OP anymore, so I can play them and maybe not feel bad about it. Of course this stuff is really early and before the game has even been released so it probably means diddly **** but it's promising to see for now I guess.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
If K Rool doesn't count then Isaac can't count considering he's both older and been dead longer than Isaac
I think the thing that gives K Rool an edge over Isaac, is that the series K Rool is from has still managed to be relevant thanks to DKC Returns and Tropical Freeze, while Golden sun has sadly yet to get anything since 2010.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'd agree with you in fact. This is completely logically sound. Deconfirmation only matters if the DLC doesn't tell us who the characters are. But like you said, if all content of a character is absent - or worse, removed - fans will clearly see what's going on. In which case, there's no point hiding who the characters are.

Besides, Sakurai is no stranger to breaking some rules. No Sonic because no 3rd party characters? Think again! Only named characters? Wii Fit Trainer and Villager. And now, we've had Piranha Plant. If Sakurai wants to add Isaac or Shadow or whoever else, he will do it. Maybe replace the character in the trophy by someone else who fits (Matthew for Isaac, Silver for Shadow). Not to mention the WOW factor which would set the fanbase ablaze with excitement "ATs can be promoted?!!"

As for Hitagi... not trusting him/her one bit. Never have. A lot of "maybe"s or "I don't know"s at first, now contradicting statements and latest of all: "I'm excited for a character I know nothing about, neither their name nor the series they're from". Talk about trustworthy...
I like Ryrule's suggestion of "Isaac Breaks New Ground" as a tagline.
Because puns and being the first AT > Playable in the same game.

*sigh* Dreams.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I think the thing that gives K Rool an edge over Isaac, is that the series K Rool is from has still managed to be relevant thanks to DKC Returns and Tropical Freeze, while Golden sun has sadly yet to get anything since 2010.
Yeah it's much easier to bring K. Rool back because they can just reinsert him as a boss in any new DKC game. Isaac they'd have to revive the entire franchise. Unless they just wanna stick him in Mario Tennis and call it a day.

TheSpaceKing12

Banned via Warnings
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
Yeah it's much easier to bring K. Rool back because they can just reinsert him as a boss in any new DKC game. Isaac they'd have to revive the entire franchise. Unless they just wanna stick him in Mario Tennis and call it a day.
If Isaac appears in mario tennis aces as a guest I would unironcially Buy the game just to play as him. Just to support the game for introducing GS content of an official variety’s.,

SPEN18

Smash Champion
If Isaac appears in mario tennis aces as a guest I would unironcially Buy the game just to play as him. Just to support the game for introducing GS content of an official variety’s.,
I mean I would probably buy Mario Tennis too if it had a GS character. But I think we can both agree that isn't really reviving GS or Isaac, and would only be seen as one small step on the journey.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Here's the thing... the art render for Ken is the one that was in the leak. So someone had that art piece, all the other character art pieces, and faked all the others. Some sort of horrible true insider made that Grinch leak.
That art render is not the same as the Grinch Leak. There was no insider who made that leak. The render is different

ZelDan

Smash Master
WHen I imagine Isaac in Mario tennis Aces, I imagine his special move being him summoning Judgement, obliterating the entire court and surrounding area, and the tennis ball landing on the barren other side of the net.

Isaac might be a bit too OP for Mario Tennis...

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
It will be interesting to see if Isaac (or any ATs) get promoted via DLC. Sakurai has broken "fan rules" many times including his own (Ridley being playable). Until Nintendo and Sakurai say they are done with Ultimate, I will have hope that AT/Spirit Promoting is a possibility. However, I won't let it blind me either.

At the end of the day, our focus is to get Golden Sun back while still pushing the idea for Isaac in Smash on the side. The harder we push for these two things, we will see Isaac playable either through DLC or Smash 6, guaranteed.

Also, hey! More users/guests on here. That's nice to see again!

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Well he was saying K Rool couldn't count as the retro character but Isaac can which makes no sense. Either Isaac can be a retro which means K Rool can be and is the retro or K Rool can't be a retro and neither can Isaac.

Snorkel the dolphin

Cetacean Gamer
Switch FC
SW 6666 6666 6666
Do you think at the very least the Golden Sun battle theme will be in the game as a music track? I can't recall if it was in Brawl or 4. What a great song.

Top Bottom