• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
Like I said in my previous post the key is to take this momentum and run with it. We should do another event in February for the European anniversary, and maybe set up some kind of thread-wide playthrough of the first game or Dark Dawn or something and also post about that on social media.
Are we going to do some Twitch Plays Golden Sun or something?

What would a "thread-wide playthrough" be like?

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
Are we going to do some Twitch Plays Golden Sun or something?

What would a "thread-wide playthrough" be like?
I mean kind of like a book club. Everyone who wants to grabs a copy of the game (dark dawn may be easier to acquire legally) and we agree to reach X point by X date and discuss.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Once again, I'm glad that we were able to amass such strong support for Isaac and Golden Sun as a whole; even getting the support of Discord! I think we can safely say that Golden Sunday was a success for us, but let's keep up the pace and hopefully unite the fans together to try and bring this series back to the forefront again!

Happy Golden Sunday, Adepts!

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I'm really happy with how well this event turned out. This just proves that when we really put the effort into it, the demand for Golden Sun to return will be very strong and if we keep this up we will eventually reach that goal. The anniversary was noticed by such enterprises like Nintendo Life, Nintendoros, Nerdist and Discord which is awesome! I want to thank the entire community for being involved with this and special thanks to N3ON N3ON for opening this thread and bringing together Golden Sun fans, every single person who signed up as a supporter on this thread with True Blue Warrior True Blue Warrior for keeping track of all of it. Tetiro Tetiro for coming up with the idea for #GoldenSunday, Billybae10K Billybae10K , Ryrule and TheSpaceKing12 TheSpaceKing12 for spreading the love on YouTube with their informative videos, Falgor Falgor and Thirdkoopa Thirdkoopa for always being there to help me with running the account, Isaac for Smash Pls Isaac for Smash Pls for helping me to translate the Golden Sunday announcement in Japanese, XenoWarriorX XenoWarriorX , Skyblade12 Skyblade12 , JaidynReiman JaidynReiman , LasermasterA LasermasterA , DogManStar DogManStar , LuminoZero LuminoZero TappyBat TappyBat , Organization XIII Organization XIII and of course the Discord owner NessAtc. NessAtc. for their massive contributions on the Discord server as well as the other members on the servers, and finally all the wonderful artists such as StoicSeraph StoicSeraph , Nazyrus Nazyrus and tons of others , musicians such as Retrospecter and others and of course all the fans all over the internet that made this event as successful as it was. You guys are the best and I hope we can continue to push this support above and beyond

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I was just wondering. If you had to classify each type in Pokemon as either Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Mercury where would you put each type?

Venus - Grass, Rock, Ground, Bug, Steel
Mars - Fire
Jupiter - Flying, Electric, Psychic, Ghost
Mercury - Water, Ice

Fighting, Dark, Normal, Fairy, Dragon, Poison

This is actually quite hard.... I guess you'd probably want to put the remaining in Mars and Mercury to bulk them out?
Venus: Grass, Rock, Ground, Poison, Bug
Mars: Fire, Dragon
Jupiter: Flying, Electric, Psychic, Fairy
Mercury: Water, Ice

And that's all basically.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Wait a second... Is there any website or place where the Golden Sun fans can gather? Even if Golden Sunday is a success, we still need a site where we can all meet, especially if we're going to plan more events in the future.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Wait a second... Is there any website or place where the Golden Sun fans can gather? Even if Golden Sunday is a success, we still need a site where we can all meet, especially if we're going to plan more events in the future.
I was planning to do a website only as a showcase, to inform people what we want and have a few links toward communities. There's no plan for a forum, we already discussed about it, it will be easier to use already existing tools like reddit and discord.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
TheSpaceKing12 TheSpaceKing12 your video is brining up very good points. However, I don't agree with you comparing Isaac to King K.Rool.

Here's what's wrong with that comparision, and how Isaac lost ground based on this comparison.

-First of all. DKC is a legendary, 1st party owned, top 5 Nintendo franchise, possibly top 4 even only losing out to Mario, Zelda, Pokemon and possibly the Wii franchise consisting of the Mii Sport title, Wii fit and everything else Mii-related. It gets major attention from Nintendo, the DKC characters regulary crossing over with Mario, sharing a legendary arcade game with Mario as it's roots, and having major fan demand of returining which lead to the franchise fully returning to glory since Donkey Kong Country Returns.
-Donkey Kong Country has been ported many a times, every possible chance the game get's rereleased, they used. GameBoy Color? Had a DKC remake. GameBoy Advance? DKC trilogy remake. Wii Virtual console? DKC trilogy is on it. Wii U VC? Same thing. SNES Mini? DKC is on it.
-A HUGE FAN DEMAND that wanted King K.Rool return in the main franchise. The Kremling Kampain, reaching out to Retro / Rare employees.. such things. This also lead to massive ballot votes.
-Donkey Kong Country characters being in Smash Bros. since the first game, and Sakurai already being familiar with the franchise due to adding DK and Diddy Kong.

Donkey Kong Country was never comparable to Golden Sun honestly. Even DKC is handled poorly by Nintendo by Top 5 popularity standards..... Expecting Golden Sun getting a similar treatment to DKC, while it's not even getting the treatment it SHOULD'VE GOTTEN for decades is just... delusional honestly.

We all should do our best to make our demand for a new Golden Sun game be far more known. Twitter is great for getting this attention, I would join if I could tolerate Twitter, but I cannot. Camelot and Nintendo need to have Golden Sun in the back of their minds. Camelot even stated YEARS BACK: 'Want a new Golden Sun? ASK US!!' and we all didn't.....

If anything, we should celebrate the Isaac Assist Trophy honestly. Cause it's the best we've gotten since Brawl's AT status.

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Whoa it's so crazy hearing things like Discord and Nintendolife bringing awareness to Isaac and Golden Sunday! I know we have to keep the momentum going though, the suggested February date lines up with the initial every two/three months and gives enough time for some more planning.

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Whoa it's so crazy hearing things like Discord and Nintendolife bringing awareness to Isaac and Golden Sunday! I know we have to keep the momentum going though, the suggested February date lines up with the initial every two/three months and gives enough time for some more planning.
Which is why a element/season appreciation day would be a great event to do.

March/Spring=Venus/Earth
June/Summer=Mars/Fire
Sept./Fall=Jupiter/Wind
Dec./Winter=Mercury/Water

And since December is coming up soon, we could start it then to show appreciation to out favorite water adepts and non adepts related to water.

Heck, seeing the likes of Mia and Piers interacting to the water Pokemon like Greninja and Squirtle (crossover idea) and maybe they're thinking they're water djinn. It would really help get traction, I believe.

Isaac: Venus Adept Isaac: Venus Adept What do you think of the idea? A seasonal event like that? Only every 3 months so that we don't get burned out and show that the elements play a big role in Golden Sun.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace

March/Spring=Venus/Earth
June/Summer=Mars/Fire
Sept./Fall=Jupiter/Wind

And since December is coming up soon, we could start it then to show appreciation to out favorite water adepts and non adepts related to water.

Heck, seeing the likes of Mia and Piers interacting to the water Pokemon like Greninja and Squirtle (crossover idea) and maybe they're thinking they're water djinn. It would really help get traction, I believe.

Isaac: Venus Adept Isaac: Venus Adept What do you think of the idea? A seasonal event like that? Only every 3 months so that we don't get burned out and show that the elements play a big role in Golden Sun.
Yeah I liked the element/season idea for the next project. Though I'm thinking we should likely skip this December and just start the idea fresh into the New Year. Only because since Smash comes out that month, there's the whole 'shiny new phase' to get through that we won't have to worry about come next year December.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Seems mostly reasonable, though also pretty bold. Your pick for Jan/Feb is certainly very interesting; haven't heard it being brought up by many. Not sure how they would make a fighter from that game though, although Sakurai could probably figure it out. Still, I think they'd rather promote something like Fire Emblem over that, unless they really wanna push the new IP. Also, Verge seems to think that the first character revealed will be the Square Enix rep, although that's not necessarily a guarantee.

For E3, you're obviously banking on GS coming back in full force. I guess we'll have to wait and see about that! Also, I'm not convinced on Sora, but maybe that's just my bias showing as I'd rather see a different Square rep. A Dragon Quest character seems to be making the rounds through the rumor mill recently, going off what Hitagi has heard, but I have trouble envisioning that as well. Tbh, any Square rep other than Geno would just feel weird to me, but I also don't think Geno's happening unfortunately based on what we've seen to this point. So Sora's a reasonable guess but I really don't know what to think with regards to the Square rep in general.

Pokémon rep is probably spot on. No idea as to who it could be though. I guess it could be Melmetal, but probably it'll be a new starter or whatever Gen 8 mon they plan on promoting heavily.

SMT is a bold but not completely unreasonable guess. Namco or Ubisoft is more likely to get a character for me, though.

Also, I'm not banking on a second wave of DLC, but again, I guess we'll have to see.
Yeah, I realize some of these seem a little out there, but I feel pretty confident in these picks, though you could easily swap Isaac for, say, Bandana Dee or Geno, perhaps. I think at least one fan-favorite character makes it as DLC, and Isaac fits the bill for me. Also, while at first I thought a Three Houses rep was an essential lock, I realized that Sakurai probably heard the hate for Corrin as a promotion character, and chose not to include yet another, outside of Chrom.
FlawedAI FlawedAI

If Splatoon and Arms can't get playable reps the first time around I don't see Daemon Ex Machina having any chance.

The most I would expect would be spirits added in a free update.
Fair enough, but I just got kind of a gut feeling that Daemon would get something, and we haven't seen a "mech" game represented in Smash, outside of Sukapon as an Assist.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman

March/Spring=Venus/Earth
June/Summer=Mars/Fire
Sept./Fall=Jupiter/Wind

I agree with that. Seeing fanart of a confused Mia holding a Squirtle or hesitantly touching Greninja would be cute. Or Piers creating an iceberg for the Ice Climbers to have fun with. God so many great ideas!

Except the months. December is overloaded with Xmas all around. People wouldn't have the time to do much Golden Sun-related stuff. I'd say picking the middle month would be a better choice:

Winter: Mid-January/February 1st = Mercury
Spring: Mid-April/May 1st = Venus (maybe a problem because of the Golden Week)
Summer: Mid-July/August 1st = Mars
Fall: Mid-October/November 1st = Jupiter

Another idea would be to pick a Sunday of the middle month, effectively giving us 4 Golden Sundays a year. Choices would be:
- first Sunday
- last Sunday
- 2nd Sunday

First and last would be easier to remember. 2nd Sunday would be a callback to yesterday. I think all 3 choices would avoid most problematic days - except last Sunday in Spring - Golden Week. Then again, Golden Week, Golden Sunday... Venus being the element of all protagonists...

Just sharing my thoughts, sorry if it's not completely coherent.

Last edited:

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
To those people on that article who think Isaac shouldn't be in because he, uh, looks too much like Link.

Excuse me what the f---?

Have you done a 20 second long google search into either character's design?

Do you realize that the colour of a character's hair doesn't effect if they get into the game or not?

Ugh.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
If Splatoon and Arms can't get playable reps the first time around I don't see Daemon Ex Machina having any chance.

The most I would expect would be spirits added in a free update.
In my own response I was kinda beating around that bush but yeah, I don't think it'll be a big enough game that they're gonna wanna push it with a character. Also I am pretty sure that it isn't developed internally, so we have no Pikmin case where being Miyamoto's creation likely contributed a lot to its inclusion.

does anyone here believe Hitagi?

because if so, this would mean we're getting no golden sun reps due to her deconfirming all spirits as characters
Not 100%, but with Verge backing them up, a lot of what they say probably has some merit. By "not 100%," I mean that he likely has legit sources but we don't know who those sources are (other than they are likely similar to Verge's) and so, like with any leaker, we can't just assume he's correct.

No I wasn't, but honestly, I really don't believe Hitagi much at all. Katalina makes no sense and benefits Nintendo in just about no way, and she said that there were no Bamco reps, and now she's saying that there is one but it's not Agumon. None of it seems to add up right.
I cannot recall them ever saying there was no Bamco rep, just that they hadn't heard about one. So if now they're saying there is a Bamco rep then that isn't necessarily backtracking. If they did say no Bamco rep, please provide a source so I can read it because I haven't heard that. Whoever they are and whatever connections they have, they definitely seem to know a lot, which might be a bit suspicious. But we'll have a much better idea once the first two characters are revealed. His confidence has also varied a lot from character to character, so sometimes you have to go back and read his info again to be clear on what he actually said about a character. He's yet to get anything right as far as I know, so that's something to keep in mind; his credibility right now mostly rests on Verge backing him up (although Verge hasn't come out and said that he has heard the same things, he has said that Hitagi does indeed have legit sources).

But again, after the first couple reveals we will know a lot more. I will say that what he has said seems to line up with the roster choices we have seen so far and what Sakurai said about Nintendo picking the DLC, so it also lines up with my current expectations, as GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 has noted. It seems likely that he has real industry sources, though.

Also, while at first I thought a Three Houses rep was an essential lock, I realized that Sakurai probably heard the hate for Corrin as a promotion character, and chose not to include yet another, outside of Chrom.
That's fair. I wouldn't totally discount the possibility of someone like Edelgard getting in but I agree that it isn't a total lock. There are reasons why they might pick something else.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
As Pinguino21v Pinguino21v has suggested, its for the best to not create a new website forum or whatever to bring people together. Instead focus should remain here, the Golden Sun subreddit, and the Golden Sun Discord Angara Continent created by NessAtc. NessAtc. A website is in consideration purely for informational purposes, and I am still open to hosting the website (and maybe purchasing the domain) once plans are finalized.

D

Deleted member

To those people on that article who think Isaac shouldn't be in because he, uh, looks too much like Link.

Excuse me what the f---?

Have you done a 20 second long google search into either character's design?

Do you realize that the colour of a character's hair doesn't effect if they get into the game or not?

Ugh.
Lucina, Chrom, and Ike confirmed to be cut from the game :4pacman:

Kisae

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darkkisae
It was a great day and like i said in twitter thanks to the ones who shared my video enven if it's in french i really appreciated that. It was awesome and i am sure we make noise. Good noise of course =)

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Dammit I missed the event. Was sick all day yesterday and Saturday and I couldn't participate.

I'm just glad things worked out well for the event. Hopefully Nintendo takes notice.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
I agree with that. Seeing fanart of a confused Mia holding a Squirtle or hesitantly touching Greninja would be cute. Or Piers creating an iceberg for the Ice Climbers to have fun with. God so many great ideas!

Except the months. December is overloaded with Xmas all around. People wouldn't have the time to do much Golden Sun-related stuff. I'd say picking the middle month would be a better choice:

Winter: Mid-January/February 1st = Mercury
Spring: Mid-April/May 1st = Venus (maybe a problem because of the Golden Week)
Summer: Mid-July/August 1st = Mars
Fall: Mid-October/November 1st = Jupiter

Another idea would be to pick a Sunday of the middle month, effectively giving us 4 Golden Sundays a year. Choices would be:
- first Sunday
- last Sunday
- 2nd Sunday

First and last would be easier to remember. 2nd Sunday would be a callback to yesterday. I think all 3 choices would avoid most problematic days - except last Sunday in Spring - Golden Week. Then again, Golden Week, Golden Sunday... Venus being the element of all protagonists...

Just sharing my thoughts, sorry if it's not completely coherent.
That's good! As long as we can make it work, I think it will be fun! Heck, I even thought of us having a Banner for said element used for the week/month that would have the 4 main playable characters with their respective Lighthouse too (Ex: Venus Lighthouse with Isaac, Felix, Matthew and Himi). And maybe even add other element related characters too.

TappyBat

Smash Ace
Dammit I missed the event. Was sick all day yesterday and Saturday and I couldn't participate.

I'm just glad things worked out well for the event. Hopefully Nintendo takes notice.
hah your avatar fits perfect with that comment. lol i think they noticed but just can't say anything

D

Deleted member

Have any of y'all contacted the mods of the GS Reddit to ask if you can use the subreddit to set up more events like Golden Sunday?

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
No no, we jut need to find more links to add like dark link and helicopter link and linkle. Smash us for link why is there any other character in there?
To be fair, I'd be up for Lana or Linkle to be in Smash, giving both LoZ another deserved unique rep and giving the whole warriors genre a nod. Just don't cut my Ike from the game :mad088:

SundaeS

Smash Cadet
Have any of y'all contacted the mods of the GS Reddit to ask if you can use the subreddit to set up more events like Golden Sunday?
Well on the discord and it seems there was a discussion for the next Golden Sunday up there. I think Falgor is the GS reddit mod and he was discussing it up there. So GS reddit does seem to know. Though we all should definitely plan for the next one to be even bigger :D!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The NA anniversary of Lost Age next year is a Sunday. That was one consideration. Its 5 months out.

D

Deleted member

Idk if you guys should split up activity into scattered dates. You should be a constant force imo, like K.Rool/Ridley fans

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
TheSpaceKing12 TheSpaceKing12 your video is brining up very good points. However, I don't agree with you comparing Isaac to King K.Rool.

Here's what's wrong with that comparision, and how Isaac lost ground based on this comparison.

-First of all. DKC is a legendary, 1st party owned, top 5 Nintendo franchise, possibly top 4 even only losing out to Mario, Zelda, Pokemon and possibly the Wii franchise consisting of the Mii Sport title, Wii fit and everything else Mii-related. It gets major attention from Nintendo, the DKC characters regulary crossing over with Mario, sharing a legendary arcade game with Mario as it's roots, and having major fan demand of returining which lead to the franchise fully returning to glory since Donkey Kong Country Returns.
-Donkey Kong Country has been ported many a times, every possible chance the game get's rereleased, they used. GameBoy Color? Had a DKC remake. GameBoy Advance? DKC trilogy remake. Wii Virtual console? DKC trilogy is on it. Wii U VC? Same thing. SNES Mini? DKC is on it.
-A HUGE FAN DEMAND that wanted King K.Rool return in the main franchise. The Kremling Kampain, reaching out to Retro / Rare employees.. such things. This also lead to massive ballot votes.
-Donkey Kong Country characters being in Smash Bros. since the first game, and Sakurai already being familiar with the franchise due to adding DK and Diddy Kong.

Donkey Kong Country was never comparable to Golden Sun honestly. Even DKC is handled poorly by Nintendo by Top 5 popularity standards..... Expecting Golden Sun getting a similar treatment to DKC, while it's not even getting the treatment it SHOULD'VE GOTTEN for decades is just... delusional honestly.

We all should do our best to make our demand for a new Golden Sun game be far more known. Twitter is great for getting this attention, I would join if I could tolerate Twitter, but I cannot. Camelot and Nintendo need to have Golden Sun in the back of their minds. Camelot even stated YEARS BACK: 'Want a new Golden Sun? ASK US!!' and we all didn't.....

If anything, we should celebrate the Isaac Assist Trophy honestly. Cause it's the best we've gotten since Brawl's AT status.
Agreed on these points. Compared to DKC, GS has a cult fanbase. Also, don't forget that the DKC trilogy is on the New Nintendo 3DS, as well (THE most successful portable before the Switch in recent memory, no less).

This time it's less of a defeat and more of a chance at survival. And honestly, does anyone want to see Camelot confined to making half-done Mario sports games for the rest of their days? I'd say no, they're not exactly Sumo Digital.

Idk if you guys should split up activity into scattered dates. You should be a constant force imo, like K.Rool/Ridley fans
Agreed. Those guys never succeeded by sitting on their laurels, they kept the momentum going for as long and as much as possible.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Having these events doesn't mean there will be nothing in between though. But you're right that the worst thing to do now is to lay back assuming the work has been done. That's what got us into this mess to begin with, with a discontinued series and no Isaac in Smash.

Frosty Pops

Smash Journeyman
Sorry I couldn't participate with Golden Sunday everyone. Real life stuff going on. But I am glad everyone made so much noise! Definitely turned some heads.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
Wait, is that a rule 63 Isaac on your profile? Haha, she surprisingly works pretty well. Reminds me of Sheba actually, dressed like Isaac.
That is just Isaac as a Chibi Ahaha! But I agree.

Again guys congrats and let's keep pushing for GS! I was planning on making some charms / Keychains to spread some GS love, aside from Isaac and Felix, who would you like to see on merch?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
That's not the plan. But at the same time, spamming constantly isn't a good thing either. We need to keep talking about Golden Sun gradually over time, but only have these BIG events every so often.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
I wasn't able to contribute much yesterday (I was busy all day and am not terribly creative) but it is heartening to see the good work many of you did, as well as seeing some notable news outlets took notice. Well done y'all!

Arsenal234

Smash Apprentice
So where does the GS fanbase go from here? Golden Sunday is a great start, but we need to do more. Are we doing Golden Sun events on release dates?

Golden Sun : August 1 2001 (Japan) November 11 2001 (NA) February 22 2002 (Europe)

The Lost Age: June 28 2002 (Japan) April 14 2003 (NA) September 19 2003 (Europe)

Dark Dawn: October 28 2010 (Japan) November 29 2010 (NA) December 10 2010 (Europe)

It would be great if we could do some special events in the future with special presentations. A video collaboration would be nice or a fanmade GS 4 animated trailer. Just a couple ideas I had. If we can pull the community together we will definitely drag Golden Sun back from the clutches of death.

Top Bottom