• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

TheSpaceKing12

Banned via Warnings
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
Allow me to play devils advocate by pointing out that he, along with Laura Kate Dale, and other leakers who said the same thing, all backpedaled a few days before the reveal. Conflicting information in the surface leak information Is common. Widespread lies like Incinroar, are not. They do happen (mother 3 English for WiiU) but they aren’t common.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Well, if the leak is real, something to consider is that Nintendo still has time to redo the character artwork for the scroll and place them in different locations to make the leak lose its credibility while still (eventually) showing off the same characters.

Having Isaac in would be a dream come true.
That said, the white space where his right leg is propped up is driving me nuts. The rest of the characters all have decently accurate anatomy and I can't figure out what's going on there. Even if he's down on one knee, he'd have to be practically stepping on Flint for that pose to work and that'd be out-of-character.
I was just thinking about this too.

Nintendo should reveal an obvious pick like Ken, but use new/different artwork to throw everyone off.

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
Wait why is Nintendo looking intoEric if this is fake? They didn’t look into that weird all screen oval Nintendo NX when that came out.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
Liam Robertson is currently claiming that he’s heard info that contradicts the leak. He’s very, very well researched and has an amazingly track record. In now deleted tweets never was the first to tell the internet that Nintendo E3 2018 was gonna be bland outside of smash and If you’re into it, Fire emblem. However he says that he’ll “Gladly take the L” which makes me think he too heard about Incinroar. And on some level is currently unsure.

If that’s the case, Incinroar must have been passed around the surface leak community like trick or treat candy. In that situation I’d understand his skepticism because all of his mutuals said would have heard the same wrong thing. But this wouldn’t have been the first time this occurred. Metroid X F-zero, and mother 3 in English for WiiU come to mind. Both now infamous wrong leaks that we’re coorborated by many people in the leak community. Which we now know in retrospect were leak bit.

What’s more important here is the denial by the original poster. If his denial is correct, then this was a full scale impersonation act, and the leaker would have planend 80 steps ahead in every single instance. But, if his denial is coverup, as in he’s denying to try and save face, then it only adds to the validity further.
If he impersonated someone, that's pretty messed up tbh, dude could lose his job

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
ACP is a manufacturing firm, not marketing, it's over guys.
You do understand this company has worked in marketing for games like Assassin's Creed before. I'm really not sure what your point is here. It really feels like you're just arguing every little bit against this leak for the sake of it. If it's false, that's egg on our face for believing it, I'll take the L, but there's enough evidence supporting this leak that an official announcement from Nintendo or the leaker comings forwards with renders and ****, are the only way it's getting debunked.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
You do understand this company has worked in marketing for games like Assassin's Creed before. I'm really not sure what your point is here. It really feels like you're just arguing every little bit against this leak for the sake of it. If it's false, that's egg on our face for believing it, I'll take the L, but there's enough evidence supporting this leak that an official announcement from Nintendo or the leaker comings forwards with renders and ****, are the only way it's getting debunked.
I checked their website, they make pipes.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
I have argued against this leak a lot, probably more than Vergeben or anything one else.

Because I want it to be true so much. I think a lot of people are doing the same thing.

They don't want to be disappointed. Everyone still has Smash 4 syndrome and they don't want to get their expectations up so high so it could be pummeled, in the unlikely event this is false.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/9r9oyp/official_response_from_marina_plv_company_where/

I think this kills the leak without a doubt. The entire support for the leak came from the idea that this specific employee had been at Marina PLV which had connections to Bandai Namco. They confirmed that he hasn't worked there since 2016, so he couldn't have anything currently relevant to Bandai Namco from them. The company he currently works for, ACP, has no connection whatsoever to Nintendo and Bandai Namco.

There's nothing to tie the name of this individual to Smash at all. One of my suspicions was that this employee's name had been highjacked in some way by the leaker to try to legitimize the leak. It could still be the individual using former credentials, but the amount of career suicide that this would be makes me doubt that being the situation.

It was an elaborate leak, but it was way, way too damn hopeful of a leak. This is what people want of Smash Ultimate, and I think that's been very clearly shown with the response. People wanted it to be true for the character choices, and depending on what Sakurai has in store, he could face some major backlash. I'm terribly afraid of the possibility that Spirits is his big reveal before release and he did show off the best newcomers early on. The backlash from the community is going to be huge if that's the case, and I'm inclined to agree that in this scenario, that I agree he probably misplayed his hand. The lack of additional newcomers isn't his fault necessarily, but the number of fan favorites left on the table in addition to choosing to front load reveals isn't going to reflect all that well...

So, yeah, we're back to a situation where we probably have between one and three unique newcomers. And three is really, really pushing the realities of our situation right now. Again, let's just hope Isaac's popularity secured him one of those spots.

Pyzlnar

Smash Apprentice
Well, if the leak is real, something to consider is that Nintendo still has time to redo the character artwork for the scroll and place them in different locations to make the leak lose its credibility while still (eventually) showing off the same characters.

Having Isaac in would be a dream come true.
That said, the white space where his right leg is propped up is driving me nuts. The rest of the characters all have decently accurate anatomy and I can't figure out what's going on there. Even if he's down on one knee, he'd have to be practically stepping on Flint for that pose to work and that'd be out-of-character.
Yeah I noticed the white glow when I was drawing the outline as well.
It's really weird, but it can totally be just part of the background.

It's hard to tell at this point, and I think this roster is so hype that people are doing what they can to keep the dream alive heh.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/9r9oyp/official_response_from_marina_plv_company_where/

I think this kills the leak without a doubt. The entire support for the leak came from the idea that this specific employee had been at Marina PLV which had connections to Bandai Namco. They confirmed that he hasn't worked there since 2016, so he couldn't have anything currently relevant to Bandai Namco from them. The company he currently works for, ACP, has no connection whatsoever to Nintendo and Bandai Namco.

There's nothing to tie the name of this individual to Smash at all. One of my suspicions was that this employee's name had been highjacked in some way by the leaker to try to legitimize the leak. It could still be the individual using former credentials, but the amount of career suicide that this would be makes me doubt that being the situation.

It was an elaborate leak, but it was way, way too damn hopeful of a leak. This is what people want of Smash Ultimate, and I think that's been very clearly shown with the response. People wanted it to be true for the character choices, and depending on what Sakurai has in store, he could face some major backlash. I'm terribly afraid of the possibility that Spirits is his big reveal before release and he did show off the best newcomers early on. The backlash from the community is going to be huge if that's the case, and I'm inclined to agree that in this scenario, that I agree he probably misplayed his hand. The lack of additional newcomers isn't his fault necessarily, but the number of fan favorites left on the table in addition to choosing to front load reveals isn't going to reflect all that well...

So, yeah, we're back to a situation where we probably have between one and three unique newcomers. And three is really, really pushing the realities of our situation right now. Again, let's just hope Isaac's popularity secured him one of those spots.
Um, we've known since yesterday that the guy no longer works for Marina. He works for ACP PLV, which is a similar marketing company that has worked video game stuff in the past.

Last edited:

Mehdow

Smash Journeyman

Yeah that's not the company the leak was working on when it happened. The name is ACP-PLV or something like that.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Personally, while I'm ready for the possibility this leak is fake, I'd have to give the faker credit because it's a masterpiece. I know it's been talked to death already, but here's a handful of the details that really stick out to me:

- This leak is tied to a real person, who we know has worked for two real printing companies, who really manufacture these sorts of materials. This is serious enough that one of those companies, which he hasn't worked for for over a year, is threatening legal action to protect themselves, and this guy's career could now be in jeopardy regardless of whether this ends up being real or not.

- The basis of the leak is a marketing banner the like used at trade shows, itself a fairly non-obvious venue for leaking. The only other leak that has gone such an unexpected route was the Karate Joe website leak due to the file naming structure it pinned itself on, and this one is arguably much better thought out if it is also fake.

- The sheer amount of photo editing and art expertise required to fake the seven characters, rearrange the banner to fit them in, create a convincing blank Battlefield image, put it all on believable marketing material, and throw in some possibly original, unrelated Grinch materials to boot, all at a level that won't immediately look fake on a Snapchat.

- This all lines up with the Chad Ganondorf leak, itself an odd choice to base a fake on given it doesn't include Incineroar, which is made more interesting given the recent rumor that Nintendo is pissed at a legit leak that the community passed off as fake. Maybe the leaker manufactured both of those as well, but that would mean this has been in the works for at least a month and had been very carefully planned out to ensure it looked real.

The level of downright conspiratorial thought processes you have to go through to say this is fake is incredible. Again, it's not to say it can't be fake, but I'll be very impressed if it is. (Also pissed, because then the guy this is being pinned on is going to get in a lot of trouble over nothing.)

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I know this isn't how the Smash community operates but looking into this is going to be waste of time. There are things that make it far more credible than any other leak and there are things that make it look suspect but honestly, we aren't going to find a "smoking gun" in this case. Until we see the next newcomer no one is going to be able to prove this is fake or not so maybe we should all step back and not be so quick to claim it as real or fake.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
More to add to this: If this is fake, the guy is in a lot of trouble and will lose his job anyway. Really, if this whole thing was orchestrated, he'd have to be an absolute idiot to leave his name the way he did. He used company time and materials for personal purposes. Showing a friend material under NDA is one thing, but that's hardly more likely to get him to keep his job. He could have simply fully censored his name, and be much more safe.

He's a graphic artist. Sticking a black box over his name would be simple. His friend he was chatting with likely is not, and thought a quick strikethrough would work.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
More to add to this: If this is fake, the guy is in a lot of trouble and will lose his job anyway. Really, if this whole thing was orchestrated, he'd have to be an absolute idiot to leave his name the way he did. He used company time and materials for personal purposes. Showing a friend material under NDA is one thing, but that's hardly more likely to get him to keep his job. He could have simply fully censored his name, and be much more safe.

He's a graphic artist. Sticking a black box over his name would be simple. His friend he was chatting with likely is not, and thought a quick strikethrough would work.
It's not him who leaked it, someone else used his name as a trail of breadcrumbs.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I never actually thought about that. That would be legendary. Imagine everyone’s reaction.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Yeah that's not the company the leak was working on when it happened. The name is ACP-PLV or something like that.
Well, even better, the company he works for now then has no connections to Bandai Namco. The other one actually did... I'm going to take that as the end of this leak. Cause if the company doesn't have any connections to Nintendo and Bandai Namco that he currently works for, and everything else around the leak feels rough at best. The artwork comparisons are becoming more and more revealing as time goes on (Too many missing elements from the primary artwork we've seen everywhere else compared to the leak). The fact that the characters seem so small. The nature of a SnapChat video that doesn't actually allow for scrutiny (People have said they saw it, where's the proof?).

And that's above all else the fact that I sincerely doubt we'll get five more unique newcomers. I've pointed out our best case scenario is three unique newcomers with how reveals have been for this Smash game specifically. Sakurai has said they pulled the trigger too early and that reveals were slowing down. In addition to "I hope you don't expect too many newcomers" and "we have a FEW more to show" after the Echo segment in August (Two more officially revealed since then). Sakurai has emphasized the small number of newcomers three times now. We currently have 12 unique additions to the game with the returning veterans in addition to 4 new Echo fighters. That's already more additions than Melee had, and a couple more of each puts us at Melee not counting the veterans that had to be worked back in. And Echo fighters are being treated as fighters that are important regardless of how much work they take. They may not be numbered, but they're considered playable characters in all the advertising.

There's NOTHING to indicate a blowout or allow for the expectation of a bunch of additional fighters (Certainly of the magnitude of the "leak") other than blind hope and that somehow the game isn't "Ultimate" enough without including more brand new fan requested fighters (Which I feel like consistently ignores the absolutely massive effort and work already put in to this game). I just don't see any reality in which Sakurai is pulling the bait and switch on us.

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
Yeah, I’m still team real, but I’m willing to accept that it’s fake (if it is).

At this point, we just have to keep waiting. Like we always do. Like we’ve always done.

We have less than a month and a half to go. And the next reveal will either confirm or deconfirm this leak.

Gurein

Smash Apprentice

The thing most people ignore is, he tried to hide his name with a marker. I really don't think he would've known that people were going to find the name underneath anyway.

Last edited:

Pyzlnar

Smash Apprentice
It's not him who leaked it, someone else used his name as a trail of breadcrumbs.
I can believe that it's not him the one that leaked it.
I never really thought the name itself was hard evidence.

I cannot for my life believe that the leaker printed out a name, scribbled it with marker with the intention of it being found out.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
The thing most people ignore is, he tried to hide his name with a marker. I really don't think he would've known that people were going to find the name underneath anyway.
He’s a graphic artist. Why would he partially obscure it with marker when he can just remove the whole thing with two clicks?

And, no. I’m not buying that this is a case of identity theft. I’ll believe people go to some ridiculous extremes, but that’s too far for me to believe.

Last edited:

Mehdow

Smash Journeyman
Well, even better, the company he works for now then has no connections to Bandai Namco. The other one actually did... I'm going to take that as the end of this leak. Cause if the company doesn't have any connections to Nintendo and Bandai Namco that he currently works for, and everything else around the leak feels rough at best. The artwork comparisons are becoming more and more revealing as time goes on (Too many missing elements from the primary artwork we've seen everywhere else compared to the leak). The fact that the characters seem so small. The nature of a SnapChat video that doesn't actually allow for scrutiny (People have said they saw it, where's the proof?).

And that's above all else the fact that I sincerely doubt we'll get five more unique newcomers. I've pointed out our best case scenario is three unique newcomers with how reveals have been for this Smash game specifically. Sakurai has said they pulled the trigger too early and that reveals were slowing down. In addition to "I hope you don't expect too many newcomers" and "we have a FEW more to show" after the Echo segment in August (Two more officially revealed since then). Sakurai has emphasized the small number of newcomers three times now. We currently have 12 unique additions to the game with the returning veterans in addition to 4 new Echo fighters. That's already more additions than Melee had, and a couple more of each puts us at Melee not counting the veterans that had to be worked back in. And Echo fighters are being treated as fighters that are important regardless of how much work they take. They may not be numbered, but they're considered playable characters in all the advertising.

There's NOTHING to indicate a blowout or allow for the expectation of a bunch of additional fighters (Certainly of the magnitude of the "leak") other than blind hope and that somehow the game isn't "Ultimate" enough without including more brand new fan requested fighters (Which I feel like consistently ignores the absolutely massive effort and work already put in to this game). I just don't see any reality in which Sakurai is pulling the bait and switch on us.
The company have connections con Namco actually... That's why people keep talking about this as "not sure if real or not", because if the new company doesn't have anything related with videogames or with any company involved in the development of Smash, the leak would have been debunked or at least not handled as "not clear".

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
If someone had told us prior to E3 that this game's roster would include Ridley, K. Rool and Simon Belmont, would we have wrote them off on the basis of the roster being "too good to be true"? :awesome:
That's such a terrible argument, since it has nothing to do with logic at all. It's just based on emotion.

I'm not going to claim that I'm being entirely logical here either but at the very least I'm not outright using "I love Isaac so this is real" as an argument.

Too good to be true is basically "I love this so it's fake". :p

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
I know this isn't how the Smash community operates but looking into this is going to be waste of time. There are things that make it far more credible than any other leak and there are things that make it look suspect but honestly, we aren't going to find a "smoking gun" in this case. Until we see the next newcomer no one is going to be able to prove this is fake or not so maybe we should all step back and not be so quick to claim it as real or fake.
I agree, actually. There's so much going for/against the leak that there's simply not going to be a break. The only thing that will give us an answer to this leak will be Nintendo themselves.

GoldenBoy01

Smash Rookie
This might be impossible, but someone should try contacting this Eric guy. If he is indeed a real person, maybe he could give some insight?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
The company have connections con Namco actually... That's why people keep talking about this as "not sure if real or not", because if the new company doesn't have anything related with videogames or with any company involved in the development of Smash, the leak would have been debunked or at least not handled as "not clear".
Where's the proof of that? The other company does indeed, but I can't find anything linking them to Bandai Namco.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
Literally I’m just sitting back watching many people argue over the leak being real or fake. Personally I’m on team real knowing there’s a chance this could be an elaborate fake. I just don’t understand the point of arguing since we are literally a month and some change out so it’s not like we have a long wait before we know for sure. History has proven no one will change their stance on it until official information drops.

Mehdow

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking in exactly this a few hours ago and it's totally true.

The only thing that can confirm it's real is Nintendo in the next Direct.
The way to debunk this leak is also Nintendo in the next Direct....OR if the leaker/company just steps forward and say "I/we made it, it's fake, take a look at the proof", something that won't happen due NDA and legal stuff.

So we're here until Nintendo says something...... I'm not really complaining as this is becoming a lot of fun and it's helping me making me being entertained in a reaaaaaallly loooong weeeeek, so I'm following this as something I never did in the past lol

ZelDan

Smash Master
The level of downright conspiratorial thought processes you have to go through to say this is fake is incredible. Again, it's not to say it can't be fake, but I'll be very impressed if it is. (Also pissed, because then the guy this is being pinned on is going to get in a lot of trouble over nothing.)
This is what is getting to me right now. IF this is fake (which I don't believe, #TeamReal all the way wooo), then that just makes this guy's muddied name/career worse. I mean, it really sucks either way, but even moreso if it was over absolutely nothing.

Top Bottom