• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Suka-Taka Connection

xianfeng

Smash Hero
I don't like him and I don't see him as likely and as for the poll we have absoloutly no idea why Sakurai chose those suggestions so it can't really be used as evidence for anything except saying that 2 or 3 people in Japan wanted him in.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Ok, I was just wondering.

Do we know off hand how many people participated in the poll? It's hard to believe that only 5 people surveyed wanted King Dedede concerning how many people proably voted on it.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
I don't like him and I don't see him as likely and as for the poll we have absoloutly no idea why Sakurai chose those suggestions so it can't really be used as evidence for anything except saying that 2 or 3 people in Japan wanted him in.
if he gets to say why he dislikes takamaru, I get to say why I think takamaru will get in:

popularity- takamaru has most of his popularity in japan, and is recently gaining his own fanbase in america due to the wonders of imports and the internet. nazo no murasame joh was one of the most popular and early FDS games in japan, and the best-selling famicom mini game. it was the sister game to zelda, and just as popular in japan, but never caught on, because westerners in the 80's were too ignorant to learn about japanese culture. takamaru was one of the most requested characters to appear in brawl in the japanese polls, and the polls have never let us down. the only character who didn't get on the poll was sonic, which is odd, since sakurai said himself he was the most requested character. and yes, pokemon trainer was technically on the list, but only a specific poketrainer, steven stone.

uniqueness- judging by what we've seen so far, it seems that sakurai seems to care a lot more about uniqueness this time around. I can point this out by deoxys' pokeballification. it just confused me why deoxys was pokeball'd. it seemed like they considered him, since sakurai said himself deoxys was a very popular pokemon. and deoxys was one of the most unique pokemon avilable, having transformation powers. so how could he have been pokeball'd? well soon, sakurai smacked me with the answer a while later: pokemon trainer. from the moment I read how he fought, I instantly figured out he was the reason why deoxys was crammed into a pokeball. instead of transforming, he switches out pokemon, allowing for more uniqueness and fanservice.
now comes the part where takamaru-kun comes in: takamaru is a samurai. in fact, being a samurai is the main thing that taka has going for him. yes, he has ninja powers, magic attacks, etc, but the main point is that he's a samurai. and samurai have yet to be done in smash. now, taka had some obvious competition in the form of samurai goroh. He was the second-running for a popular, yet underrepped series. he had much popularity, and is captain falcon's rival. he seemed too perfect NOT to be in brawl. yet, he was one of the first to suffer the assist trophy fate. but how? simple: takamaru killed him (metaphoriclly). I suppose sakurai relized this game aint big enough for 2 samurai (3, if you count lyn, but you know what happened to her.)
and takamaru had more going for him: not only was he a samurai, he had his own franchise/game, and had even more abilities in the form of fireballs, invisibility, lighting, shuriken, etc. not to mention he was a lot more popular in japan (where most of F-zero's fanbase lies.)

it just seems to genius not to put in. honestly, if taka doesn't make it in smash after all this, I'd be very shocked.

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
I would be more suprised if he were in.

Because u don't like wouldn't mean it would be a surprise. By the way Pit never received a REAL sequal. Myths and Monsters was not released in Japan, and not the reason Pit got in to begin with.

Dude, I HATE Sonic, HATE him, but it would be moronic to see that Sakurai is making this a fanservice game and saying that Sonic HAS NO CHANCE. That's not even how business works. You please the majority, the majority want him in, while there are few who don't (who's opinions shouldn't matter in the first place as they are foriegn and haven't played said game). Neutrals probably have "the more the merrier attitude" so...

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
If foreigners opinions don't matter, this thread should be closed then :)
Technically it would only apply to people who DON'T want the character in. It's too late anyway, he's probably in already.
Don't play dumb either, because YOU KNOW this thread wouldn't change a thing, it's for fun.

I know if I was producing the game and I came to a thread meant to seriously hate on a character from a game I LIKE in a country I'm MAINLY making a game for I would immediately laugh to myself: lol ignorant foreign ****s, so poor taste in characters, hey were adding this character in so I can beat their *** with them online!

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
I'm not playing dumb, any thread is pointless and this point, and don't talk like he's already in there for a fact cause he isn't.
You mean like he's not trying hard to add everything he added on his site whether they be assist trophies or something else?

I'm just saying it's unlikely he will not add him beacuse a handful of foreigners don't want him in.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
I don't understand what you're saying. Are you saying Takamaru will be an AT?
He's saying that pretty much most suggestions will make it in somehow.

But I highly doubt Takamaru will be an AT. Samurai Goroh and Lyn pretty much did what he would do as one, he's much more suited as a PC.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Who cares if these characters are in or not. I want Sukapon in myself but cursing about whether he should or shouldn't be in brawl. We don't know if he or will not be because he hasn't been either deconfirmed or confirmed. Just because you hate Takamaru or sakupon doesn't mean someones stupid for thinking they'll be in.

None the less I don't think Takamaru will be in nor do I want him in, for you Takamaru supporters I say keep rooting for your chracter. Just because I don't like him doesn't make him any less a cool character for brawl.

vesperview

Smash Hero
Who cares if these characters are in or not. I want Sukapon in myself but cursing about whether he should or shouldn't be in brawl. We don't know if he or will not be because he hasn't been either deconfirmed or confirmed. Just because you hate Takamaru or sakupon doesn't mean someones stupid for thinking they'll be in.

None the less I don't think Takamaru will be in nor do I want him in, for you Takamaru supporters I say keep rooting for your chracter. Just because I don't like him doesn't make him any less a cool character for brawl.
I only called them stupid because they started the flaming, I seriously couldn't care less for these two characters.

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
I only called them stupid because they started the flaming, I seriously couldn't care less for these two characters.
It doesn't matter who started flaming, you came in here being disrespectful, resorting to offensive speech and mudslinging and then finally resorting to a lame over used internet argument picture that makes it look like you didn't start it. You came in a cave full of dynamite, lighting matches and throwing them around the cave like a madman. Seriously, how old are you?

vesperview

Smash Hero
It doesn't matter who started flaming, you came in here being disrespectful, resorting to offensive speech and mudslinging. You came in a cave full of dynamite, lighting matches and throwing them around the cave.
Spoken from the guy who went to the Ness thread to bash him, seriously you're as guilty as me.

Seriously, how old are you?
None of your business.

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
Spoken from the guy who went to the Ness thread to bash him, seriously you're as guilty as me.

None of your business.
I never bashed him. I said that I didn't think he was appearing. The bashing was from Topic Creator. And it was not a Ness thread, it was a thread based on Lucas replacing Ness. There you go again, with the twisting. I don't even know why I brought this up, I'll just get into it again, and I don't need that right now, especially since I have a mid term paper to finish.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
It doesn't matter who started flaming, you came in here being disrespectful, resorting to offensive speech and mudslinging and then finally resorting to a lame over used internet argument picture that makes it look like you didn't start it. You came in a cave full of dynamite, lighting matches and throwing them around the cave like a madman. Seriously, how old are you?
You're one to speak Oldskool...

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
You're one to speak Oldskool...
I was never offensive towards characters even in the Mike topic I never recall saying anything particularly offensive/directly disrespectful to anyone or the character for that matter., I'm usually aware of what I'm doing... Oh well, if I did that in any pro-character topics (on this forum) then I'm sorry. Usually when I make an effort to literally HATE on a character, I'll just make my own thread, not go into a pro one.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
At any rate, as much as I would like for both Takamaru and Skapon to make the cut, at the same time I don't want for there to be too many Japanese-exclusive characters to take up the limited roster space in Brawl... It's just not fair to non-Japanese gamers to be force-fed characters from franchises that aren't even available to them, especially since there are franchises available to them and yet not the Japanese and yet those franchises are likely not to get ANY representation. The way I see it, Sakurai and Co. are making this game for a worldwide audience, not just for their domestic market. Therefore, they shouldn't cater only to their domestic audience but should take other regions outside of Japan into account as well, even if it ends up being considerably less - at least we would have something that is ours featured in the game and the Japanese gamers would have the opportunity to discover great games that they didn't receive the first time around. A little give and take every now and then doesn't hurt, now does it?

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
You're talking about a man, who assumes a significant portion foreigners knows what onigiri is. The point is not that we get force fed characters, the point is that we learn something new abount nintendo characters/history.
Most of nintendo's success was from Japan. That's why I don't consider most of their foreign work that important, save Metroid Prime and even THAT wasn't represented in this game well. And you know how they feel about DKC. With a majority of characters that I know, already clogging the roster, I'm kind of tired of it. Look at the front of the box, Pikachu, Mario and Link clog the front. That's what's gonna drive sales in the U.S., a U.S. exclusive doesn't really add anything a Japan only wouldn't except a less important part of nintendo that wasn't in japan and that we (people who play this game to also learn new facts) already know about. No offense meant in this, it's just how I see it.
And now that they are aware of foreign interest in their country and VC import features, that's only going to make things like this even more likely...

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Who/what is Sukapon? That's a strange one if you ask me.
Sukapon is the main character of the Japanese exclusive game, Joy Mech Fight, for the Famicom, one of Nintendo's first ever first-party fighting games.

He was mentioned twice on Sakurai's poll, and was also on the previous poll for Super Smash Bros. Melee, too!

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Sukapon is the main character of the Japanese exclusive game, Joy Mech Fight, for the Famicom, one of Nintendo's first ever first-party fighting games.

He was mentioned twice on Sakurai's poll, and was also on the previous poll for Super Smash Bros. Melee, too!
On the melee poll Sakurai stated that he would never be playable in a future game.

nobletoast

Smash Journeyman
I think its going to one or the other. I mean what are the odds that we get two playable retro japanese-exclusive characters who have only released one game that was over ten years ago.

I think Takamaru is going to go head to head with Sukapon for a spot on the retro team (Ice Climbers, Pit, Game and Watch). Apearing on the poll is nowhere near enough evidence to secure character inclusion (look how many high ranked characters in the Melee poll never made it into Melee - Dedede, Wario) but appearing on BOTH polls highly with great moveset potential and being aknowledges by Sakurai as an interesting (not exact wording i think) character gives Sukapon the edge over Takamaru.

Not saying Takamaru has no moveset potential but i doubt it would be particularly original with all the sword wielders in Brawl (and dont lecture me on Samurai and western swordsman differences because I've heard them before and they dont apply to Brawl).

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
Takamaru has kunais, fireballs, lightning, can temporarily turn into a gas(he puffs into smoke and "disappears"....but he can go thru enemies....in his game I mean), can walk on water, can deflect projectiles with a timed swipe....so he's no Marth

and differences between fighting styles DEFINATELY apply to Brawl...otherwise every fist-fighter would work the same as well as every swordsman......by that statement, retro pplz like IC and G&W are the ONLY unique characters....

a samurai fights alot different than some royal European-esque prince....

a giant gorilla fights differently than a racecar driver.....both are simions....both fight with their fists....they must be clones then....

nobletoast

Smash Journeyman
Takamaru has kunais, fireballs, lightning, can temporarily turn into a gas(he puffs into smoke and "disappears"....but he can go thru enemies....in his game I mean), can walk on water, can deflect projectiles with a timed swipe....so he's no Marth

and differences between fighting styles DEFINATELY apply to Brawl...otherwise every fist-fighter would work the same as well as every swordsman......by that statement, retro pplz like IC and G&W are the ONLY unique characters....

a samurai fights alot different than some royal European-esque prince....

a giant gorilla fights differently than a racecar driver.....both are simions....both fight with their fists....they must be clones then....
Well thats the first ive heard of any abilities. I retract my staement. I have never played his game so I cant be blamed.

When I was trying to say was that characters with no other abilities than weilding a sword (or an axe for that matter) are limited in their movesets. Not one character just fights with their fists, except DK and Captain Falcon (clones dont count). And one fights fast and the other slow. And what I was arguing was that a europeenesque swordsman and samurai had no other abilities they would fight the same in this game.

However since Takamaru has other abilities I hadnt heard mentioned once (probably since most people havnt played the game - not that thats a problem I havnt played Joy Mecha Fight) this argument has become void and I was wrong.

Seems Taka Vs Sukapon looks to be a fair fight. Place your bets now.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion

tirkaro

Smash Champion
According to these translated comments from Sakurai himself, he did...

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=928518&topic=38898768

Interesting read at the very least, but it would seem that Sakurai has a thing against Skapon, thanks largely to his fan base whining about him not being included in Melee. Takamaru looks to have a decent chance though...
:O..... I cant believe it...... I dont believe what I just read. I mean, why, sakurai why?

WHY DIDN'T YOU NAME MELEE "Smash Bros 2: Hydrogen Bomb Death Match! Hot Blood Hong Kong Kung Fu Dragon Small Forest Temple!":mad:
HOW COULD YOU HAVE BEEN SO FOOLISH, SAKURAI!? :mad:
I mean, it would have been sooooo much cooler if it was called that!:mad::mad:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If sakurai hated sukapon enough to not have him in brawl, he
wouldn't have put him as an option on the ****ing poll...
He stated that because he assumed Sukapon wouldn't be able to be made with the physics involved but we don't know if that is still true...

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
According to these translated comments from Sakurai himself, he did...

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=928518&topic=38898768

Interesting read at the very least, but it would seem that Sakurai has a thing against Skapon, thanks largely to his fan base whining about him not being included in Melee. Takamaru looks to have a decent chance though...
I know that, but "probably won't" =/= "NEVER" :) *trying to remain hopeful*

"Sakurai can really be a **** sometimes." I'll never forget this line...

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
If sakurai hated sukapon enough to not have him in brawl, he
wouldn't have put him as an option on the ****ing poll...
The Toukouken wasn't a goddamm "poll", genius. How many times am I going to have to make that point clear?! And he wasn't an option but a specific request as was Link's Uncle and Blue Virus - I seriously doubt Sakurai would have listed those characters as "options".
I know that, but "probably won't" =/= "NEVER" :) *trying to remain hopeful*

"Sakurai can really be a **** sometimes." I'll never forget this line...
True. His opinion always could have changed, and undoubtedly it has, in the years since Melee.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The Toukouken wasn't a goddamm "poll", genius. How many times am I going to have to make that point clear?! And he wasn't an option but a specific request as was Link's Uncle and Blue Virus - I seriously doubt Sakurai would have listed those characters as "options".
It can be a poll with write in asnwers...who said a poll has select options?

Top Bottom