• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stuff About Puff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Massive

Smash Champion
Shield comes out for a frame, then the dodge animation starts.
If you get hit in that frame, you power shield.
Jiggs becomes invincible on frame 2 of the spotdodge.

I cant think of a safer way to retaliate.

Most Marths will never try to hit your shield though, a fully charged shieldbreaker will kill around 40% (stage dependent), it'd be stupid risky just to try this when the punish is already so safe.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
don't always do that though, cuz i know some sick *******s who will continue to charge it, because they are waiting for the spot dodge and then they release with a much stronger hit.
lolol

10lolxzzzsz

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I'll be honest I was buffering a roll when i powershielded.

I agree, i think buffering a roll is safer in general than buffering a spotdodge (though maybe not in this specific instance)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
yeah i do. Also if youre gonna be at the tourney on sat i have ur controller in my truck already so i can't possibly forget it (unless i take a different vehicle in which case i will have a giant facepalm)

username12345678

Smash Apprentice
yeah i do. Also if youre gonna be at the tourney on sat i have ur controller in my truck already so i can't possibly forget it (unless i take a different vehicle in which case i will have a giant facepalm)

alright thanks. could you play with me for awhile before singles starts if your not too busy doing TO stuff? i suck against fox and i could use the practice

JrJet

Smash Cadet
How should I practice puff against CPUs? Since the coms are straight up dumb...

:phone:

JrJet

Smash Cadet
find some friends who play competitively or go to tournaments

or else you'll have trouble getting better

when you do go to a tournament, play as many friendlies as possible with everyone and anyone
Alright... No way to strengthen my game while alone?
Btw hungrybox you're my hero just sayin.

Mahone

Smash Champion
Alright... No way to strengthen my game while alone?
Btw hungrybox you're my hero just sayin.

I guess i'll answer your question instead of telling you something you already know.

I would make sure you practice rising pounds until you are perfect with them, even if you miss 1 out of 20 you should keep at it, because they end up being much harder when the pressure is on and if you mess up its a stock. Also remember that if you kill a fox, you have to be efficient with getting back or in a real match he will come back and shine spike you, but also make sure not to pound in an area where a real human being would up b, because you would accidentally save him... i hope that all made sense.

You can practice getting a feel for how close you can be while sing grabbing the ledge. As you hopefully know, you can grab the ledge backwards with sing, and from below, so there are a lot of situations where you will need to sing to sweetspot or edgehog in time. You would be suprised how low and how far horizontally you can grab with sing so get a really good feel for this.

Practice upthrow resting fox. I know the level 1s sometimes do a very slight di, which is good for keeping you alert and making sure you can make the adjustments if someone does it in a real game. Also, you should upthrow them under a platform and then upair them and rest their missed tech on the platform. Even high level players miss this tech because if you try to tech the upthrow, you can't tech the upair, so practice that a lot.

Practice getting two bairs in a full hop, varying the timings of the bairs and make sure you keep hitting all the lcancels.... just be creative and do one bair to falling upair or other combinations and just practice doing them quickly while lcanceling them.

I can't speak for other people but i find one of the hardest lcancels to be falling upair on a shield, so you can use starmen to get the opponent to be invincible and practice that. Also, without starmen, just practice getting falling upair to rests or to uptilt to rests consistently, as you need to be very fast to do those.

You could practice lcanceling dair and getting flips with it but unless you have the other stuff down i would recommend doing all of that first. I would recommend the same thing for wavelanding and edgecanceling.

I think you can definitely get better while playing cpus, you just have to make sure you don't really practice combos because often times they don't work on humans. But the more you use a character, regardless of what you are doing with them, the better feel you get for how they move, so that can never hurt...

Battlecow

Play to Win
So guys

Has anyone ever combo'd rest->rest in melee? Does it even work? I ask because it's my favorite thing ever in 64, and because it would be even sweeter with the melee-rest.

(The technique, in case you didn't know, is to rest them at the correct percent from the bottom-right or bottom left corner of the stage, in such a way that they fly way over to the top of the stage, you die, and then you come back in time to rest again [preferably right off of your little platform]).

No, it's not close to practical in any way, shape, or form. But it's the best kill in existence outside of Luigi pimp-kick shenanigans.

Battlecow

Play to Win
IDK like who it would work on in melee and from what percent. It probably depends on DI because everything depends on DI in melee because melee is silly.

Mahone

Smash Champion
if ur at sorta high percent and they're at zero and u rest on brinstar right when the lava hits you????

idk thats all i can think of

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
yeah the idea is to get to a corner, rest just before you hit the blastzone causing them to go back on stage and you die. Ideally they travel to the place where you spawn and you rest them then.

I think the best choice for target would be someone heavy and middle fall speed like bowser. Bowser also has a large hurtbox which might make margin or error easier

JrJet

Smash Cadet
I guess i'll answer your question instead of telling you something you already know.

I would make sure you practice rising pounds until you are perfect with them, even if you miss 1 out of 20 you should keep at it, because they end up being much harder when the pressure is on and if you mess up its a stock. Also remember that if you kill a fox, you have to be efficient with getting back or in a real match he will come back and shine spike you, but also make sure not to pound in an area where a real human being would up b, because you would accidentally save him... i hope that all made sense.

You can practice getting a feel for how close you can be while sing grabbing the ledge. As you hopefully know, you can grab the ledge backwards with sing, and from below, so there are a lot of situations where you will need to sing to sweetspot or edgehog in time. You would be suprised how low and how far horizontally you can grab with sing so get a really good feel for this.

Practice upthrow resting fox. I know the level 1s sometimes do a very slight di, which is good for keeping you alert and making sure you can make the adjustments if someone does it in a real game. Also, you should upthrow them under a platform and then upair them and rest their missed tech on the platform. Even high level players miss this tech because if you try to tech the upthrow, you can't tech the upair, so practice that a lot.

Practice getting two bairs in a full hop, varying the timings of the bairs and make sure you keep hitting all the lcancels.... just be creative and do one bair to falling upair or other combinations and just practice doing them quickly while lcanceling them.

I can't speak for other people but i find one of the hardest lcancels to be falling upair on a shield, so you can use starmen to get the opponent to be invincible and practice that. Also, without starmen, just practice getting falling upair to rests or to uptilt to rests consistently, as you need to be very fast to do those.

You could practice lcanceling dair and getting flips with it but unless you have the other stuff down i would recommend doing all of that first. I would recommend the same thing for wavelanding and edgecanceling.

I think you can definitely get better while playing cpus, you just have to make sure you don't really practice combos because often times they don't work on humans. But the more you use a character, regardless of what you are doing with them, the better feel you get for how they move, so that can never hurt...
Thanks you for all that. I will definitely be practicing that stuff for the next 36 hours straight lol.

Massive

Smash Champion
CPUs aren't terrible for practicing recovery punishes.

They always recover on the the stage if possible, so take the ledge and rest them on their land lag.
That's the easy way to practice recovery punishes to falcon/gannondorf/shiek/marth/etc by yourself.

CPUs are also good for practicing nair>fsmash or nair>duck.

G

genkaku

Is mango ever going to play puff again?
teams doesn't count, 'cause his teams puff is different.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
i assumed you meant like, rest a heavy character at zero while you're at mid-high percent, land on the lava, DI the same way they're going and move faster than they do and get out of hitstun in time to rest them before they're out of hitstun?

sounds far fetched but semi plausible

JrJet

Smash Cadet
Ya no problem, let me know how it goes
I actually got to play some humans today. I tryed to practice jab reset>rest a bit and nairs>fsmash and such. Just basic things cuz I just started with jigs. I was pretty satisfied since I've only been using her a day but I've got a lot to practice.

Mahone

Smash Champion
Is mango ever going to play puff again?
teams doesn't count, 'cause his teams puff is different.
I believe he is having a 50 dollar mm vs PPs falco the night before genesis 2.... i hope someone records it

I actually got to play some humans today. I tryed to practice jab reset>rest a bit and nairs>fsmash and such. Just basic things cuz I just started with jigs. I was pretty satisfied since I've only been using her a day but I've got a lot to practice.

Good stuff, also, when you play humans, you are bound to mess up some sort of tech skill, so just keep a mental note and practice that when you have no one to play.

idea

Smash Master
it's not as good against ganon =P 'cause yeah, he's always jumping, and doing aerials, and they're all so strong.

pretty good against sheik though, or if you expect spacies to move vaguely within its range in the near future. iirc the end of it can clink with marth's fsmash.

if fox's nair or dair or the not-strongest-part-of bair collide with jiggs' fsmash, guess who's going to be worse off...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom