• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Still angry about Sakurai's excuse for not having a story mode like SSE

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Seriously, blaming YouTube for not putting in a story mode in SSB, that's just stupid, Sakurai.I can understand if he said that it takes too much time and resources to develop a story mode, BUT BLAMING YOUTUBE LET'S PLAYS???!!!! REALLY SAKURAI, REALLY??!!! All the other companies don't care about YouTube Let's Plays, hell even EA, Square Enix, Microsoft, and Capcom, the Axis of Gaming Evil, put story modes in their games, even though YouTubers make LP's of said games. I happened to like Subspace Emissary, if he just trolled us, and is putting one in, I just hope, it uses every Nintendo world as possible.

Zulyar

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4914-3978-9790
the excuse he made certainly was wierd in my opinion aswell, although i personaly wasnt a big fan of sse at all, i didnt find it interesting to play, not even the first time i did it, now i'm not saying you or somebody else can't enjoy however it does cost a lot of time and recourses to make sse, if they want to spend those recources i rather just have optional videos about the characters that you can watch if you want.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Admittedly one of the weirdest reasons ever.

Not that I was a fan particularly but saying it was so he could work on other things in the game would be a far more understandable excuse.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
He didn't blame Let's Plays, he said that the cutscenes were meant as sort of rewards, and the satisfaction of getting those rewards for going through SSE was diminished because people posted the clips online. He never specifically blamed Let's Plays, but mostly the people that leaked the stuff online before it was released.

With that said, it's still a pretty bonkers excuse. I don't mind it though, I can live with little cutscenes for the newcomers, that's plenty enough for me, I'd rather that resources and focus is put into things that are fun to do more than twice.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
If anything, I'd prefer something like the Theatre Mode in Metroid: Other M than having individual cutscenes/trailers.

Hopefully, if nothing else, they go back to making original cinematics for the opening title sequence.

Last edited:

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
I don't really mind. I found subspace boring, bland and tedious, and the cutscenes never really impressed me.

Tweezer Salad

Smash Apprentice
It's a stupid and laughable reason.

However I really don't care because SSE was mediocre and its more time for the developers to make the gameplay good.
Hopefully SSB4's intro movie will be so good it'll make up for the lack of story cutscenes.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
The story wasn't that great anyway. :/

I'd rather they focus on adding content like characters, stages and items, and refining online play and the fighting engine that waste time and effort on a forgettable single player mode.

Spire

III
BRoomer
He could still include a story mode, just minus the cutscenes. There could easily be one wherein you unlock all the newcomers (like SSE) and the only cutscenes are those that introduce said newcomers. For instance, you could be playing on a Rainbow Road-inspired adventure stage with Kirby, Mario, and DK when you encounter Rosalina. I foresee a merging of Melee's Adventure (stages inspired by the franchises) with the longevity of SSE to make a true Super Smash Story.

I think Sakurai's intent was to not go so cutscene-heavy because a.) it takes up a lot of disc room and b.) his youtube reason. They can still easily do an adventure mode without so much filler. Focus on action instead!

Hey, remember the part in SSB4's debut trailer where Mario is seen jumping through some junglish adventure-like stage? It was right around the mark where the 3DS style was introduced.

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I loved SSE and it's cutscenes. I wouldn't mind an Adventure Mode based on Melee's with even better cutscenes.

And that's all I'll say.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Well, it does mean more space on the disc/3DS game card for more content, whether music, characters, stages, etc., so it's not all that bad.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Subspace was a bore and I'm glad they're spending more time on the rest of the game instead. He didn't even say there's not going to be an Adventure mode,, he said it's not going to be as "grand" as Subspace was. We're still probably going to get a few cutscenes in it, just not dozens of time-consuming, data-hogging cutscenes that ultimately add very little to the experience.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I didn't find SSE to be that awful, I think the main problem was the lack of re-playability. See the cut-scenes once, just go through again for the heck.
Besides, it can now go to other things. Things like characters.

D

Deleted member

I agree that his reasoning for no story mode is rather ridiculous.

However, I am OK with not having a story mode. The SSE was boring after a while and I eventually became disappointed. Where are the enemies from other Nintendo games besides Mario? How come you can't have the World of Trophies consist of areas based on Nintendo locales like the Mushroom Kingdom, Hyrule, and Dream Land? How come some characters got major roles while others were a bit insignificant (Wolf, Jigglypuff, and Toon Link are exceptions)?

There was so much that could have been done yet they didn't take advantage of. I was even more disappointed when I found out that the SSE was the major focus of Brawl. Instead of adding more characters or help balance the roster more or improve the Wi-Fi Mode, the time and effort went into the SSE. As a result of lack of time, some characters had to get cut (like Mewtwo).

While I will miss the cutscenes (I love when the heroes invade Subspace and King Dedede pimp slapping Bowser), the trailers for the characters are a much better alternative to me.

Overall, I didn't like the SSE and I am glad that we won't have another mode like this again. This will give the developers an opportunity to add more characters and balance the roster more as well as improve the Wi-Fi Mode.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
I liked the SSE. It was a great way to consume a ton of development effort that could have been spent on other things, and thus likely made Brawl worse.

Just imagine if that development time went toward characters and there really were 50 characters in Brawl. Well balancing more then 50 characters is pretty ridiculous, so there would either be few new commers, or a ton of cut characters this time around. Since this isn't the case we expect a moderate (probably around 10) amount of newcommers and most veterans.

Or worse still what if that effort had gone toward balance? Then the characters would be balanced enough that we wouldn't be as excited by the prospect of a balanced game.

Or what if it went toward making the online better? Then we wouldn't be looking forward to good online this time around.

I'm so grateful we had SSE. In fact, maybe we should bring it back so we'll have more to look forward to in SSB5 (And no I don't mean the 3DS version of SSB4).

SmasherP83

Smash Ace
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
I think were better off not having another game taking a **** load of data of the game when we can have more characters, stages, items, and even the most important balancing.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
I really don't care about the excuse Sakurai is using to take out SSE because, in my opinion, why would you dedicate that much time to a game mode that feels so drawn out and uninspired when you could just improve Melee's Adventure Mode? I mean, I'm not trying to be a Melee elitist, or something, but Melee's Adventure Mode was literally what I wanted out of SSE - a decently sized journey through multiple Nintendo locales. That's what I was hoping for in SSE, but it ended up being pretty bland, considering the fact that the only actual Nintendo location is the Halberd. I can appreciate the idea SSE was based on, but the execution left a lot to be desired.

But that's just me.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
There's no concern over not having a stpry mode similar to SSE for me. I'm just hype that they're taking their time, because the graphics and character expressions in this one are pretty godlike.

Also, I really want to join the backroom for ssb4. I don't want to waste time about adding in or taking out some things, because I really want something new and fresh.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
There's no concern over not having a stpry mode similar to SSE for me. I'm just hype that they're taking their time, because the graphics and character expressions in this one are pretty godlike.

Also, I really want to join the backroom for ssb4. I don't want to waste time about adding in or taking out some things, because I really want something new and fresh.
Because the Backroom has a hotline to Sakurai... Clearly...

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
storymode was to much the focus on the other game, I rather it be spent on completing the other stuff in the next game

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Melee's adventure mode was amazing. I enjoyed SSE, but Melee's doesn't really get too droll, but I can't say teh same for SSE. While I'm all for originality, I liked beating up Redeads and Goombas versus some one of those other monsters. I did like the stickers' role in SSE, it;d be interesting if they stayed in. I don't think we need ten million cutscenes though, just small things like Melee's adventure mode (i.e. Luigi kicking Mario down, Giant Kirby crashing onto Green Greens) and a Special Movie like Melee had

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Excuses mc scusses.

Just give us the best dang game possible.

Quite frankly, the SSE took up over 3/5th's of development time (Sakurai's words, not mine), and I would have rather seen that gone to other places, namely the character balance, the roster size (Roy and Mewtwo would have been nice), having Melee's old adventure mode back (and bigger than ever), more stages, and more content users can customize.

On top of that in Brawl, the SSE combined with the music took up over 6 gigs of the 7 1/2 or so on the disc, requiring the disc to be dual layered. With the 3DS, that's problematic, because the 3DS cartridge limit is 8gb, and there have been no 3DS cartridge bigger than 4 gb made (it also means Smash 3DS will have less music, and probably less stages).
To be fair, one of the BRoomers members (I'm a part of it, but not the leader, although I do lead in posts in the Broom) :awesome: did have a leaker pre-Brawl (but he only got the basic characters confirmed post-all the rumors being all but proven true, and a few stages [namely 75m before anyone else found it in the game]).

Other than that, we got nothing for Smash Wii U and 3DS, other than said person's former sources tell us that they aren't in the know, but that E3 rumor (with Pac-Man, Miis, and Little Mac) definitely sounds legit.

Pretty sure the excuse for not adding a story mode was just that: an excuse. Very few people liked story mode. Most thought it was a good effort but a waste of time at best, and absolutely terrible at worst. He's not going to come out and say "Story mode was a failure, so we decided not to do it this time." He probably does feel that way about the cutscenes, but I don't think that was the main reason.

I loved SSE and it's cutscenes. I wouldn't mind an Adventure Mode based on Melee's with even better cutscenes.

And that's all I'll say.
This idea is pretty much spot on.

But OP, before you get upset about there not having a long story mode, ask yourself: How many times did I play Subspace?

I played through it once. That's it.

Think about it, all of that time and resources that were in Subspace will now be implemented in the Multiplayer aspect of the game , the thing that should always come first in Smash.

All I remember thinking when I played through Subspace was "Oh man, what a cool stage, sure would have been fun IN MULTIPLAYER"

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
SSE was cool, but it took the fun out of unlocking characters for me. It was nice to see character interaction, but I'd rather not have it in favor of an earlier release and/or more time spent on the core of the game.

As for his reason, he could always be making it up (or being serious in addition to my next point). If Nintendo really needed this to come out faster, I can see Sakurai ditching SSE in the favor of that.

Who wants to be a back roomer anyway....sounds dirty.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I completely agree that it is a particularly strange reason for not adding it, yes.

Personally though? I can live without SSE. Don't get me wrong, the cut scenes were epic, and caused a great deal of hype for Brawl, but I feel that the hard work being put into them could have been spent on polishing up the characters more, adding more modes for players, etc. I think that the majority of Smashers are into the game because, well, it's a fighting game after all, and at the end of the day when they've completed the SSE and begin to venture online or enter tournaments, people want quality mechanics, balanced characters and intriguing game modes to keep interest in the actual fighting component of the game.

Overall, I believe the game's mechanics, quality of the fighting possibilities and most of all, whether they choose to balance some of the broken & underpowered characters is what's going to make SSB4 either last a long time and be remembered, or make it crash and burn to ashes and be forgotten; we will have to see. All I know is, Nintendo can't really afford the latter scenario right now.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I played through Subspace three times and loved it all three times, from DK and Diddy chasing the Koopa Troop for their Bananas, to Pit helping Mario, to Captain Falcon & Captain Olimar...now we know that the most interaction Smash chars will get is DK poking Kirby in the Rosalina Trailer, seriously...with Smash 6 they should just hire an alternative team to work on a grand-scale, amazing story mode with locales from the games and tons of lush, beautiful cutscenes that serve as worthy rewards for beating the stages.

jacobj77

Smash Rookie
Smash 6? ^^^

Anyways if we had another adventure mode like sse, then we wouldn't get the game till 2015.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
All I remember thinking when I played through Subspace was "Oh man, what a cool stage, sure would have been fun IN MULTIPLAYER"
I'm still salty most of those areas aren't stages. The Tabuu area, the SSE Stadium, the various Subspace stages, the various forest locations with DK and Diddy and the spacies, the Yoshi/Link forest locations, the Skyworld locations, all the cool cave areas, the freaking Fire Emblem castle, the awesome water ride set piece moving down a river, the Ridley battle area, the Falcon Flyer Meta Ridley battle, etc.

Oh, and of course the Wifi Training Area as well.

I'm also still mad the Smash 64 Battlefield, Final Destination, the "How to Play" stage, and Metal Cavern stages weren't playable in the multiplayer, as well as in Melee the 3 trophy tussles stages, some of the Link battle stages, the area you battle the Yoshi's, etc.

In fact, I don't see why any of those stages weren't in the multiplayer. If Sakurai can buffer the Melee roster by adding clones (most of them awesome), why can't he buffer the stage list with single player stages that aren't Battlefield or Final Destination=???

Seriously, what do you lose by having more stages playable in the multiplayer=??? Like a week of programming tops=???

Nope. Instead that time was spent on Hanebow, which nobody plays ever.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
To be fair, one of the BRoomers members (I'm a part of it, but not the leader, although I do lead in posts in the Broom) :awesome: did have a leaker pre-Brawl (but he only got the basic characters confirmed post-all the rumors being all but proven true, and a few stages [namely 75m before anyone else found it in the game]).
Really? I'd assume you guys talk about donuts or something...

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
ask yourself: How many times did I play Subspace?

I played through it once. That's it.

Think about it, all of that time and resources that were in Subspace will now be implemented in the Multiplayer aspect of the game , the thing that should always come first in Smash.
Exactly. 60% of the development time and probably way more of the money (well if you discount music) went into the SSE.

That's terrible. It should take up no more than 10% of the time. It didn't even have up to 4 player support or online support, either.

Seriously, if those efforts were put into the online and it failed, we wouldn't be so mad. But as it is, it makes me mad such time was wasted on it.
Smash 6? ^^^
One of these 2 forthcoming games is Smash 5, so mentioning Smash 6 makes sense. Heck, we might get another 2 batch of games if this 2 games in 1 development cycle works out, so talking about Smash 7 isn't that far fetch'd either, lol!!!

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Excuses mc scusses.To be fair, one of the BRoomers members (I'm a part of it, but not the leader, although I do lead in posts in the Broom) :awesome: did have a leaker pre-Brawl (but he only got the basic characters confirmed post-all the rumors being all but proven true, and a few stages [namely 75m before anyone else found it in the game]).

These guys never say a thing to me. Glad you could get 'em to open up though.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
While SSE was fun at first, I agree with what most people say. I'd rather there be more stages and more variety, with a fair balance between chaotic and hazardous stages and plain straight-to-the-point battlefields. Like Eternal said, there were so many cool areas in SSE that could have been amazing multiplayer stages.
Nope. Instead that time was spent on Hanebow, which nobody plays ever.
The fact that you spelled the name wrong further proves your point. Agreed, Hanenbow truly is an abomination of a stage.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Hold on, this an off-topic interruption post.

I know this is a joke, but I don't really think backrooms do predictions and suggestions to a developer. It may not be as others are now, but I'd want to do things and expose moves that may be useful, depending on frames and gameplays stacked on gameplays. This is what I want to look into, this is why I consider contributing my findings in the future.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The excuse is downright stupid.

But I'm not complaining.

Top Bottom