• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starter or Unlockable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
It is still pretty difficult to determine which characters will be unlockable at the moment. The ones that I am certain that could be unlockable so far would be Lucario and possibly Greninja.

I do think that if Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon and Ness return, I guarantee they will be unlockables for sure.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Luigi
Dixie Kong / K Rool
Ganondorf, Tingle
Jigglypuff, Mewtwo
Ridley
Falco, Wolf
Chrom
Palutena
Ness
Captain Falcon
Shulk
Chorus Men
G&W
ROB
Sonic
Pac Man
Mega Man

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Luigi
Ganondorf
Jigglypuff and/or Mewtwo (depends who they bring back)
Greninja
Falco
Wolf (if he returns)
Ness
Captain Falcon
G&W
ROB (if he is returning)
Mega Man
Zero Suit
Sheik
Meta Knight (if returning)

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Im'a gonna go on a limb and say:
Luigi
Rosalina
Mega Man
Mr. G&W
Marth
Toon Link
Ganon
Cpt. Falcon
Meta Knight
Ness
Jigglypuff
Lucario
Greninja
Falco
Wolf
Snake
Sonic
R.O.B.

This will include a few more newcomers. But I'll wait till we get more of them.

SPoitter

Interior Crocodile Aligator
If G&W's not returning I will flip out!
Maybe Megaman will be unlock-able & Greninja too. Maybe Greninja will be unlocked like how Lucario was in SSBB.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I feel like it's safe to assume the following, including the Gematsu leak:

Luigi will be unlockable
The four Pokemon we know of are starters, with one or two more being hidden. (Jiggs and Mewtwo?)
Captain Falcon is probably hidden.
ROB and Watch will be unlockable
Chrom or Ike or both are unlockable, while just Marth, or Marth and one other are starters. Marth makes more sense as a starter anyway.
Wario will not be unlockable
Palutena might be.
Chorus Men will be, and also Shulk
Falco and Wolf and Lucas or Ness will be unlockable.
Toon Link and Ganon are probably unlockable.

SPoitter

Interior Crocodile Aligator
For some reason I have a feeling the Ice Grabbers will be unlock-able

andimidna

Smash Master
Not going to predict future newcomers:
unlockables...
Luigi
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Ness
Lucas
Captain Falcon
Ike
Snake
Sonic
Mega Man
Ganondorf
Toon Link
Sheik
Zero Suit Samus
Ice Climbers
Mr. Game & Watch
R.O.B.
Wolf

RIDLEY is too SMALL

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only person who thinks there might not be unlockables in this game?

Luigi was already confirmed to be unlockable when he was revealed and the only reason he was shown at that point was cause it was the Year of Luigi.
I don't think Luigi was confirmed to be unlockable. This is the Miiverse post you're referring to: "In prior games, we've never introduced Luigi before release, but why not? This is the 'Year of Luigi,' after all." Sakurai might be implying that he is an unlockable character. Then again, he might not be. He did not say that Luigi is an unlockable character or even that there are any unlockables in the game, so we don't actually know if there are unlockable characters or not. Maybe the next Smash game will have the full roster available from the start in the vein of the last few Street Fighter games? I'm not saying it's absolutely going to happen, but I think it's a very real possibility.

Furthermore, Sakurai has expressed concern about unlockable content (not specifically about characters, but about cutscenes). This is what he said according to a 2013 Kotaku article about why the new game won't have a story mode or cutscenes:
"Unfortunately, the movie scenes we worked hard to create were uploaded onto the internet." Sakurai lamented. "You can only truly wow a player the first time he sees [a cutscene]. I felt if players saw the cutscenes outside of the game, they would no longer serve as rewards for playing the game, so I've decided against having them." Rather than letting a setback ruin things completely, Sakurai has focused on having video sequences that would instead potentially benefit by being spread around. This has led to the new character intro video sequences for the Villager, Mega Man, and the Wii Fit Trainer. Sakurai expressed a desire to make similar videos for all subsequent new characters. -http://kotaku.com/the-next-super-smash-bros-wont-have-a-story-mode-or-c-906856304

Obviously, the above quote is not specifically referring to unlockable characters. However, I think it's definitely possible that he has the same mindset about not wanting to include unlockable characters in the next game because he doesn't want them to be spoiled on the internet. After all, the unlockable Brawl characters had their own entrances and cutscenes in the Subspace Emissary, and he didn't like that those were spoiled online. Plus, he apparantly wants to do more reveal trailers like the ones for Rosalina, Little Mac, Greninja, etc. for "all subsequent new characters".

Lastly, there are a multitude of characters that have already been revealed that could likely be unlockables if there were unlockables in the game (Mega Man, Sonic, Toon Link, Lucario, Greninja, Marth, Luigi, maybe Rosalina). It makes sense to reveal the third-parties before release even if they were unlockable, but why have all the others been revealed unless the full roster is available from the start? I mean, come on--if there are unlockables, then Toon Link would definitely be among them, and I can't imagine that both Lucario and Greninja would be starters.

I think it's a possibility that the full roster will be readily available this time around. E3 should give us a pretty good idea one way or the other.

Last edited:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I could see Ridley unlockable by beating boss Ridley X amount of times on Pyrosphere.

As for current characters:
-Megaman is unlockable.
-Sonic is unlockable.
-Luigi will probably remain unlockable.
-Toon Link will probably remain unlockable (revealed early to dispel rumors of him being cut?).
-Lucario will probably remain unlockable (revealed early to dispel rumors of him being cut for Greninja).
-Marth may transition to a starter (it isn't unheard of).

In my mind, the roles of Sheik and Zero suit Samus are currently up in that air; as they are now separate characters I feel they may be unlockable (most likely by playing X amount of matches as their other halves).

As for unconfirmed veterans (assuming their return):
-Ganondorf will remain unlockable (it is possible he will be revealed early if he is getting a new moveset).
-Mr. Game & Watch will remain unlockable.
-R.O.B will remain unlockable.
-Falco will remain unlockable.
-Wolf remain unlockable).
-Captain Falcon will remain unlockable.
-Wario will remain a starter. (will either be revealed for Mario Kart 8, randomly, at E3 or in some sort of ad for the game).
-Ice Climbers will remain a starter (will either be revealed randomly [as nothing was shown for NES Remix], at E3 or in some sort of ad for the game).
-Ike may become an unlockable due to Marth's early reveal.
-Ness and Lucas may switch roles (similar to how Marth was revealed first). I think Ness may be revealed first, regardless.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Of the Newcomers, I Believe Rosalina and MegaMan will be unlockable. But the others are most likely starters.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I think it's a good time to bump this.
Were getting pretty close to the September release date and I would like to hear more thoughts.
Everybody announced so far with the exception of Luigi, Toon Link and the third-party characetrs are probably going to be starters.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
My Starting Roster is
:4mario::4dk::4link::4samus::4zss::4kirby::4fox::4pikachu::4diddy:
:4zelda::4sheik::4pit::4palutena::metaknight::4marth::4peach::4yoshi::popo:
:4charizard::4dedede::4bowser::wario::4olimar::lucas::4villager::4wiifit::4mii:

I'd say Palutena should be Unlockable but she has so many moves to find already
Same with the Mii FIghters

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
With the reveal of Lucina in particular, I'm now convinced that there are not two but three catagories to consider; starters, unlockables, and secrets. Unlockables are characters that have some condition to unlock but are not secret, that is to say they feature in advertising prominently despite not being initially available. These characters will likely be pretty easy to unlock. Secret characters are characters we will not be seeing before release and will be more difficult to unlock.
With that being said, I think the starting roster will be:

Pit, Bowser, Pikachu, Fox, Kirby, Wii Fit Trainer, Samus, Link, DK, Mario, Villager, Olimar(?), Peach, Marth, Zelda, King D3, Little Mac, Diddy Kong, Zero Suit Samus(?), Sheik(?), Yoshi, Charizard, Greninja(?), Miis, Ike, Captain Falcon(?), and potentially other unrevealed characters.

Unlockables will be;

Megaman, Luigi, TLink, Sonic, Rosalina&Luma, Lucario(?), Palutena, Pac-man, Lucina, Robin, and potentially other unrevealed characters.

Why do I think these characters will be unlockable? A variety of reasons. Note that question marks means I was unsure of myself when I listed them as such.

My reasoning is that it is good design sense to have more complex and harder to use characters become available as players prove themselves capable of using simpler, more instinctive characters. Note here that I'm talking about skill floor, not skill ceiling. While it's true that Melee fox has a seemingly infinite skill ceiling, being decent-to-good-enough at him isn't a hugely arduous process; he is unarguably much simpler to play than, say, Olimar. Olimar himself is an oddity; I fully expected him to be a locked character, but it seems Nintendo wanted to show off their one new franchise in Brawl quickly. However with this Smash bringing in a wide variety of new, complex characters to preexisting series, I think some of them will be locked on first playing. Previous smash games have done this to some degree; in 64 Ness had the most complex recovery and jump, jigglypuff specials are not intuitive in how to use them, and Captain Falcon requires a large degree of technical skill and speed to play as.

This does not necessarily line up with every single character I've put as unlockable; 3rd parties have a precedent to being unlockable as well, and clone-ish characters have never been part of the starting line up. Luigi, TLink, and Lucina are now in that mix as well. Zamus and Shiek I have no idea, I'm going on pure instinct. Olimar I believe should be locked but won't be. RosaLuma's puppetry will be very difficult for first time players, as will keeping track of however Robin's tomb system works. Lucario's aura system now makes a lot of his moves change properties over time, something a first time player might have a little trouble with, especially that recovery. Palutena's massively customizable moveset screams 'fun toy to unlock but too unpredictable in game to game fighting for early on'.

This also leaves us with a starting roster of at least 26, although I'm betting closer to 30: I think we'll see Wario at least join the starting roster, maybe a few others as well.

Secret characters are the bizarre, what on earth am I unlocking, too weird/crazy to be real stuff. Dr. Mario, Mr. G&W, R.O.B., and Ridley (if he's playable) would all strike me as strong options for this. Another new retro character is something else to keep an eye on, as are otherwise unplayable villains. Once again, Ridley, but also K.Rool, Ganondorf, and Wolf. Do they really count as secret if they're in previous games? I think so, I think there will be no hint they are in Smash 4 other than their previous inclusion to other games. I could also see Ridley making the jump to unlockable, although I cannot imagine a universe in which he's part of the starting roster. Another strong contender for this catagory is Dark Pit; seeing Lucina as a clone or semi-clone today makes me convinced they're adding new clones, in which case Dark Pit seems like a logical choice.

TL:DR; Starting roster of Pit, Bowser, Pikachu, Fox, Kirby, Wii Fit Trainer, Samus, Link, DK, Mario, Villager, Olimar(?), Peach, Marth, Zelda, King D3, Little Mac, Diddy Kong, Zero Suit Samus(?), Sheik(?), Yoshi, Charizard, Greninja(?), Miis, Ike, Captain Falcon(?), and potentially other unrevealed characters.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
I'll go bump one time. Were getting closer to release, now is the time to make your starter and unlockable prediction especially with the leaked roster in mind.
Well, I mean, I believe the starting roster leak, so... everyone but Lucina and Mii. I dunno, I posted a big ol' analysis to the interest of no one last time, and now it seems pretty cut and dry.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I'm gonna go ahead and say that everyone we've already seen is a starter sans Lucina and possibly Mii Fighter.

I kind of hope Luigi is unlockable though. That's a tradition.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
I hope that starting roster leak is fake cause that is just way too much startersstarters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom