• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starter or Unlockable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaoswafflez04

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlazingBlaziken4
I can see Marth being a starter this time around. It's better to reveal the obvious characters first as it builds up hype and makes us ask this question: "What characters are locked? Is my favorite character returning? Or are they getting replaced by a new character?"
Toon Link, on the other hand, is a different case, either Sakurai wanted his reveal to just coincide with Wind Waker HD, or we may see him as a starter and have another Toon character hidden in his place.
It's obvious that Megaman and Sonic will be hidden as they're 3rd party, similar to how Snake and Sonic were revealed early on and still locked in Brawl.
Luigi was just like Marth until Rosalina's reveal, being a usually hidden character being revealed early on to build up hype for non-obvious hidden characters. Now that I think about it, I find it strange how they revealed Rosalina very early on, making it somewhat confusing whether she will be locked or a starter, especially with Luigi already being revealed. This goes with Lucario also, as he was a secret character in Brawl, unless they plan on making him a starter in order to make him the other starting Pokémon rep as he isn't really a surprise to the fans compared to possible returnees and newcomers that will be hidden.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I think we'll get the usual stuff; villains besides Bowser and DeDeDe unlockable (K. Rool, Ridley, Mewtwo, etc.), anyone that's obscure will be unlockable (Fire Emblem reps, Earthbound reps), extraneous characters from populated franchises unlockable (Toon Link, Rosalina, Luigi), and of course Mr. G&W.

Morbi

Scavenger
I have a feeling that Black Shadow would be unlock-able, if he was in the game.

I also have a feeling that Hades would be unlock-able, if he was in the game.

Perhaps Meowth would be unlock-able, if he was in the game.

I could envision Tom Nook being unlock-able, if he was in the game, of course.

Maybe Lucina would be unlock-able, if she was in the game.

Bandanna Dee might even be unlock-able, if he was in the game.

Tingle would probably be a starter. :awesome:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Why do people assume Rosalina will be an unlockable character? based on her being unlockable in other games? Remember that Luigi is a starter character in many Mario games. Does that mean he is going to likely be a starter character? Not really.

Morbi

Scavenger
Why do people assume Rosalina will be an unlockable character? based on her being unlockable in other games? Remember that Luigi is a starter character in many Mario games. Does that mean he is going to likely be a starter character? Not really.
The Mario starter roster is usually Mario, Peach, and Bowser. Yoshi and Wario, while representing their own series, tend to be commonly associated with Mario, so ideally, she would fit as an unlock-able character. I do agree with your sentiment, a character treated differently in their own series will not establish a correlation with Smash, as they are entirely different entities. However, Rosalina as an unlock-able character seems logical. Luigi would be the only unlock-able character, which was fine in Brawl, but we still don't know if we are going to get another Mario representative as it is.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The following is what I have for a starting roster...

Anyone who's not on there is an unlockable. This basically means that Luigi, Lucario, Toon Link, Rosalina, Sonic, and Mega Man would be some of the unlockable characters in the game.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
The following is what I have for a starting roster...
Anyone who's not on there is an unlockable. This basically means that Luigi, Lucario, Toon Link, Rosalina, Sonic, and Mega Man would be some of the unlockable characters in the game.
I think I'm going to disagree on some specific points; I think we will see Lucario as a starter this time around. That being said, I'm fairly convinced you are right about the rest of the announced characters. I'm less convinced on Ness and Captain Falcon as starters; I suspect they will be kept in the game as quick or easy unlockables. I'd like to posit that there will be a couple more newcomers that are available from the start, potentially Little Mac or some other character from a new-to-smash franchise. I think this sounds like a reasonable starting roster.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
A lot of people see Toon Link as an automatic unlockable, but I feel like he could be a starter. Link is Link and there are many Links. All of them are the main protagonist.

Morbi

Scavenger
A lot of people see Toon Link as an automatic unlockable, but I feel like he could be a starter. Link is Link and there are many Links. All of them are the main protagonist.
It is more about tradition, Young Link and Toon Link were both unlock-able. It seems logical as they are merely clones, so having two of the same character unlocked initially seems a little strange, the goal of a starter roster is to diversify the cast before you even get to unlock anyone. I mean, he could be a starter, but that isn't necessarily a safe assumption.

Fortanono

Smash Ace
Here's a list of possible newcomers for some possible newcomers for your benefit and remembrance:
I don't know how many times I have to say this, but really, Victini is way more likely as Plusle and Minun. Victini had 2 movies, is Masuda's favorite Pokémon, and is a freakin' LEGENDARY. What have Plusle and Minun got? Randomness and a possible beta appearance as a Brawl character. Really, we're not even sure if they were even PLANNED, and I doubt they ever were. In conclusion, the lack of Victini and inclusion of Plusle and Minun makes no sense.

Sorry for my rant, it's just that Victini is never brought up. I mean, you may not think he's likely, but you've got to admit, some characters there are way less so.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I don't know how many times I have to say this, but really, Victini is way more likely as Plusle and Minun. Victini had 2 movies, is Masuda's favorite Pokémon, and is a freakin' LEGENDARY. What have Plusle and Minun got? Randomness and a possible beta appearance as a Brawl character. Really, we're not even sure if they were even PLANNED, and I doubt they ever were. In conclusion, the lack of Victini and inclusion of Plusle and Minun makes no sense.

Sorry for my rant, it's just that Victini is never brought up. I mean, you may not think he's likely, but you've got to admit, some characters there are way less so.
So is Victini unlockable or starter? :p

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Am I the only person who think Wii Fit Trainer will be unlockable?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think I'm going to disagree on some specific points; I think we will see Lucario as a starter this time around. That being said, I'm fairly convinced you are right about the rest of the announced characters. I'm less convinced on Ness and Captain Falcon as starters; I suspect they will be kept in the game as quick or easy unlockables. I'd like to posit that there will be a couple more newcomers that are available from the start, potentially Little Mac or some other character from a new-to-smash franchise. I think this sounds like a reasonable starting roster.
You do need to remember though that Captain Falcon and Ness were starters in Melee, so it wouldn't really matter much if they're promoted to being starters again.

Anyway, Lucario could always be one of the earlier unlockables.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Assuming I get every character I want, here's my starting roster:

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
You do need to remember though that Captain Falcon and Ness were starters in Melee, so it wouldn't really matter much if they're promoted to being starters again.

Anyway, Lucario could always be one of the earlier unlockables.
Oh, I agree it wouldn't matter much either way; I mean who's unlockable will likely matter not at all after two week's time anyways. I just thought I would put my thoughts forward. I think Sakurai likes having them as unlockables they are fun and familiar faces for those who have played the previous games but are not going to be useful in hyping up the game. Everyone knows Captain Falcon is going to be in, and the people who think Ness is in/debate about Lucas/care are not the people that Sakurai needs to worry about marketing to. I think Lucario is a very strong pokerep, and so will likely be a starter geared those who got into pokemon post gen 1-2 and don't understand what all the commotion about Pikachu is.

Assuming I get every character I want, here's my starting roster:

I really don't see Ridley or Takamaru being starter characters. Especially Takamaru; he screams unlockable to me. A little known but cool character from a Japanese only game? Not sure I agree with Palutena either, but that could go either way. I will say that, assuming we don't get a ton of new characters, you seem to have a good number of them available from the get go. Little Mac strikes me as especially likely for a starter character.

Last edited:

Tetraplex

Smash Cadet
On the one hand, my Uni's gaming group is hosting a tournament ASAP after release so I would hate to have to spend a lot of time unlocking characters. On the other, there is a nostalgic appeal to the idea someone presented of having only the Original 12 as starters, arranged in the same configuration as in 64, and slowly rearranging it to accommodate the others as you unlock them.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
It's harder to say this time. Though, it seems like Sakurai may be wanting to make more newcomers secret. I say this only because he has shown several character which have been unlockable early this time (Toon Link, Marth and Lucario and Luigi). I say they will stay unlockable, but we'll just see them up front (the vets that is). We know they're in the game anyway (Toon Link was sort of up in the air).

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
everyone's locked.

you just have to run smash for the first time on your WiiU/3DS to unlock them lol :troll:

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
How did I not see this thread...

Well here's my opinion:
Starters for sure::mario2::dk2::yoshi2::link2::fox::kirby2::samus2:/:zerosuitsamus::pit::pikachu2::bowser2::pt::wario::diddy::olimar::peach::sheilda::popo::dedede::metaknight: (:lucas: if :ness2: is unlockable) (WFT) (Villager)
Likely Starters: (:marth: if :ike: is unlockable and vice versa):falcon::ness2: (:lucario: if :mewtwopm: returns) (Little Mac)
Likely Unlockable::toonlink::rosalina: (:ness2: if :lucas: is a starter):rob:(:ike: if :marth: is a starter and vice versa) (Palutena) (Bandanna Dee) (Prince Sable)
Unlockable for sure::luigi2::falco::jigglypuff::mewtwopm:(Mega Man):ganondorf::snake::sonic::wolf::gw: (Ridley) (Simon Belmont) (Takamaru) (Chrom)

I don't think I forgot anyone (except :squirtle::ivysaur::charizard:and:roypm: who were deliberately left out)

EDIT: Added a few unconfirmed newcomers.

Last edited:

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
At the recent time, I don't see the point in making Green L and No. 39 unlockable. I think all 12 1st Gen Smashers should be played at start, as well as all(except maybe 2) of the 2nd Gen Smashers.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
You only have Mario, DK, Bowser, Link, Samus, Villager, Pit, Wii Fit Trainer, Pikachu, Fox, and Kirby.

Good luck unlocking everybody else :troll:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Here's what I got

(And yes everyone is on this but only if confirmed)

Oviously starters::mario2::kirby2::dk2::yoshi2::link2::fox::samus2:/:zerosuitsamus::pikachu2::sheilda::warioc::pit::peach::bowser2::olimar::diddy::popo::dedede::pt:[Villager] [Wii fit trainer]

Might be starters::lucario:(This is if:mewtwopm: Is unlockable):marth::ness2:(Unless :lucas: Is coming back):falcon::metaknight:[little mac] (this is only if he is one the only road block is getting unlocked the same way snake gets unlocked in brawl except with the punch out arena)

Might be unlockable::ike:(If he comes back and if:marth:Is a starter):rosalina::ness2:(Only if :lucas: Fails to come back):falcon:

Oviously unlockable: :jigglypuff::luigi2::rob::toonlink::falco::mewtwopm::gw::wolf::snake:(If he makes it):sonic:[Megaman]

Now for possiblity of newcomers

MS (might be starter)
MU (Might be unlockable)
OU (oviously unlockable)

(Make sure to tell me other potential newcomers if I forgot any)

Takamaru :OU
Ridley : OU
Lip : MS
Mach rider :MU
King k rool :OU
Dillion :MS
Palutena :MU

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
My newest roster with the starters and unlockables.

I deem Mac as the classic character of the starting roster, so Takamaru and Sable are unlockable.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Well, I don't know if my list will be completely accurate, and I only have the characters who are confirmed as of the day this was posted, but it's a start

So far, I think Mario, Peach, Bowser, DK, Diddy Kong, Yoshi, Fox, Pit, Sonic, Link, Zelda, Shiek, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Pikachu, Charizard, Marth, Olimar, Kirby, King DeDeDe, Villager, and Wii Fit Trainer will be starter characters, that's a lot I know.

But the Unlockables so far I predict MegaMan, Luigi, Toon Link, Rosalina, Lucario, Little Mac, and Greninja.

I'll be coming back every time a character is announced to update this list

andimidna

Smash Master
Starter Roster Super Smash Bros Wii U 3ds Roster.png

Ok, here it is.
Either Ice Climbers or Ike get that one empty slot.
I didn't realize I had a Random slot in the corner, ignore that.

Mario:
I think Luigi will remain unlockable despite early confirmation.
I think Greninja raises the possibility of a 6th Mario newcomer, so my bet's on an unlockable Bowser Jr.

DK:
I think we're getting BOTH K Rool and Dixie, and I think they will both be unlockable.

Wario:
Starter, no one else.

Yoshi:
Starter, no one else.

Zelda:
I think different versions of characters should be unlockable, so Sheik and Toon Link should have to be unlocked.
I think Ganondorf will have a new moveset, so he should be unlockable just like he's always been. There'd be more reason now than before.
As for a Zelda newcomer, despite popular belief, I think Ghirahim is the most likely, and Sheik proves one-time characters can have their own slot if they're popular, which he is. But Sheik also takes the 5th slot, luckily, our other ninja already brought up the possibility of 6 per series.

Starfox:
Wolf being unlockable seems obvious.
As for the only choice for a newcomer, Krystal, I don't think she'll be in, I hope she is, and if she is, unlockable.

Metroid:
Like Shiek and Toon Link, Zero Suit Samus should be unlockable.
If Ridley is really just being trolled as playable and makes it, unlockable.

Kid Icarus:
Palutena now has like a 95% chance, she seems like the next reveal with all of the hints, hype-worthy enough for E3, but could easily be revealed in May. Nobody is doubting her. Starter.
As for another Kid Icarus newcomer, the 3rd choice would be Medusa. And if she makes it, unlockable.

Pikmin:
Starter, no one else.

Kirby:
The main 3 were all starters in Brawl, I could see MK as the next veteran reveal. No newcomers though.

Punch Out:
I thought he was going to be a starter before he was confirmed. Now I'm almost sure.

Pokemon:
This is the toughest one. But I think that he's going to troll with us like Mewtwo and Jiggly didn't make the cut, and BAM unlocked!

Fire Emblem:
Marth should be a starter.
Ike should be a starter too, but I didn't have room.
Chrom or Chrom&Lucina could actually be starters. It depends. If Chrom has a fully unique moveset with Lucina, unlockable. But if Sakurai makes it look like Ike is gone with a not-so-unique solo Chrom reveal first, starter. Which would make Ike unlockable.
For a newcomer: Either Robin or Anna, whoever makes it as a 4th slot, would be unlockable, despite their importance in the series being arguably greater than Ike/Chrom/Lucina.

Ice Climber:
Probably starters. But he has tried to make us unsure of their return with the whole "3ds limitation" thing.

Animal Crossing:
Villager should definitely be a starter. First newcomer. Most important Nintendo franchise with no newcomer pre-Smash 4.

Wii Fit:
Wii Fit Trainer should be a starter, everybody knows she's in by now. I think all first party reveals that early should be starters. Like Meta Knight, Wario, Zero Suit Samus, and Pit in Brawl.

Third Party:
I'm no longer confident in Snake's return because of Sheik's grenades.
Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man should be unlockable.
I'm also no longer confident with Bayonetta as a newcomer, I think Snake opened the door for her. But if his is closed, she's in the same Smash-less room with him. Also, Zero Suit Samus works a bit like I thought Bayonetta would. Sheik and Zero Suit seem to have had some inspiration from the 2... so I'm no longer confident they're in.
I don't think there's a 6th plausible 3rd party candidate. Bomberman, Rayman, or Belmont I guess? Sure, they're cool, but I wouldn't expect them at all. I'd be shocked.

Retro:
Mr. Game & Watch and ROB should stay unlockable.
I used to think Takamaru should be a starter, bought I thought he would have been revealed by now.
I'm no longer confident Lip will be playable.
I now think Mach Rider has a good shot, but if he's in, unlockable.
Those are the popular picks.
Historical newcomers include Sheriff, Daitoryo, and Duck Hunt Dog
I don't expect them. But like all historical newcomers, unlockable.
Honorable Mentions: Muddy Mole, Balloon Fighter,

New series:
Shulk could easily be a starter, I think it's 50/50, but I'm going to lean unlockable.
I think Isaac will be an unlockable newcomer.
Andy, Dillon, Isa, Matthew, + others= unlockable.

Returning series:
Captain Falcon should stay unlockable with no newcomers.
(Black Shadow would be unlockable if added)
Ness and Lucas should both be unlockable with no newcomers.
If I forgot any, unlockable.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Its pretty hard to say which characters will be playable from the start, but I do expect some characters (which Sakurai have yet to be announced) to be unlockable characters for sure.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
My newest roster with the starters and unlockables.
I deem Mac as the classic character of the starting roster, so Takamaru and Sable are unlockable.
Mmm.

Setting aside your actual roster choices, some of which I don't particularly agree with, I'm still not sure this makes sense as the set even if the characters are dead on. To me unlockable characters shouldn't also be the most marketable. In this case, I would guess Chrom and Mewtwo would be starting characters, and Chorus Men, Dr. Kawashima, and Rosalina as as hidden. You have to keep in mind that the starting roster should by and large have easy to understand, simple characters. Rosalina does NOT fit that bill at all. Chorus Men and Dr. Kawashima are not, to my knowledge, widely wanted; to this extent I would think they would make better unlockables. I strongly agree with Miis being unlockable though, that just makes sense to me. Probably going to be the easiest unlockable character to get, by beating classic or something. Rosalina is, I must admit, an arguable point.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
OK, here are some of my thoughts and predictions on which characters will be playable and unlockable going by series and confirmed characters up to date:

Super Mario series

I think it is likely that Mario, Peach and Bowser are guaranteed to be playable from the start. As for Luigi and Rosalina, I'm not entirely too sure whether they will be playable from the start or as unlockable characters, so I'll it could go either way for them.

DK series

DK and Diddy Kong are likely to be as starter characters. If there are anymore DK inclusions, my guess is that they will be unlockables.

Legend of Zelda series

Link, Zelda and possibly Sheik will be starter characters. I think (I could be wrong) that Toon Link could possibly be an unlockable character.

Metroid series

Samus and Zero Suit Samus are guaranteed playable.

Yoshi series

Yoshi is very likely to remain as a starter character.

Kirby series

I think Kirby and Dedede will remain as starter characters.

Starfox series

Fox will remain as a starter character

Pokemon series

Pikachu is the only Pokemon that I can confidently say will be playable from the start. I do think either Charizard or Lucario could be starters or unlockables and Greninja as an unlockable character.

Kid Icarus series

Pit will remain as a starter character.

Fire Emblem series

I somehow get the feeling that Marth will be transitioned from an unlockable character (in past SSB series) to being a playable starter character.

Last edited:

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Based on the events during Brawl's wait Sakurai might hide characters from us until release, that said I think it'd be fun to guess who will be unlockable. The characters we already have revealed will likely be starters but there are two that will likely be unlockable and one that was already confirmed to be unlockable.

Let's get the obvious ones out of the way. Luigi was already confirmed to be unlockable when he was revealed and the only reason he was shown at that point was cause it was the Year of Luigi. Sonic and Megaman will likely be unlockable since Snake and Sonic were unlockables in Brawl with being third party characters and all.

Returning unlockables:

Jigglypuff, Ness and Falcon will probably be unlockable though it's still possible for Ness and Falcon to be starter characters like they were in Melee.

Ganondorf, Falco, and G&W as they've been unlockable since Melee though it is possible that Ganondorf might be a starter considering Toon Link has already been shown to us which likely means We'll start with TL this time though at the same time there might be obligations about the Zelda series having at least one unlockable character.

Wolf has the possibility of being unlockable as well and the reason he'd probably come back at all would be that we'd need more villains unless there's a newcomer we don't know of who also happens to be a villain, or both.

Mewtwo. Wait, wait hear me out, Sakurai has proven that he's not afraid to count character transformations as separate characters which makes sense cause ya know, why shot ZSS and Shiek get hate for being separate characters in Smash 4 meanwhile in Melee (Which is often considered the best in the series.)we have Dr. Mario and Young Link as separate characters and they're counted as such and while some might make the argument of "But Shiek and Zelda have been in the same slot for the past two games same as ZSS and Samus" ZSS is still Samus, Shiek is still Zelda, Young Libk is still Link and Dr. Mario is still Mario, in fact ZSS and Shiek at least have unique move sets unlike Dr. Mario and Young Link. So where does this fit with Mewtwo? Pokemon Trainer in Brawl had 3 Pokemon, adding to Pikachu, Jigglypuff and Lucariomaking 6 Pokemon characters in total, we have 4 confirmed for Smash 4, so based on ZSS and Shiek (Who will make 5 Zelda characters with Ganondorf by the way.) we'll get two more Pokemon characters being Jigglypuff and Mewtwo and they will both be unlockable.

Newcomer unlockables:

Now since I can't think of any other newcomers I'll work off of the remaining prophecized characters, being Palutena, Chrom, Shulk, Pac-Man, Mii and Chorus Men.

Out of the 6, I think Pac-Man, Chrom, Shulk and Chorus Men will be the unlockables, Pac-Man for the same reason as Megaman and Sonic, Chrom because we need to fill the "unlockable Fire Emblem character with someone" quota, Shulk because he might as well be third party (If I'm wrong I apologize I'm only going with what I've heard, I haven't touched a Xeno game.) and Chorus Men because we also need to fill our "unlockable joke character." quota.

These are only my predictions of course, feel free to share your own predictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom