• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Star Tropics' Mike J. for SSBB

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion

Anyone familiar with the Star Tropics franchise should give this topic consideration.
It included some great gameplay (considered the spiritual sibling to LoZ, as it includes many of the same features), memerable tunes, and is just one of those franchises in serious need of revisiting. At the very least, Mike would be a great candidate to represnet Nintendo's history in the West. Please post your thoughts.

Note: Star Tropics, although developed in Japan, was never released there, as it was intended for a Western audience.

EDIT: I have included the moveset provided by our good friend FlipTroopa :)

A: Yo-yo (goes fast enough that you don't need a A, A or A, A, A or Rapid A attack)
Ftilt: Yo-yo swipe (longer whip)
Utilt: Overhead Yo-yo
Dtilt: Crouching Yo-yo
FSmash: Two-Step! Excalibur overhead slash, Excalibur sideways slash
DSmash: Mace Clear (spins the mace [Supernova?] around his ankles)
USmash: Sling (swings the stone sling above his head)
Dash A: Slide (like he's going for home!)

Nair: Yo-yo, once again
Dair: Cleets (METEOR!)
Bair: Heel (just a kick backwards with his heel)
Fair: Axe (swings straight down that old axe from the Stone Age)
Uair: Torch (stabs the torch overhead, burning enemies right under their feet)

Throws: Swings out a bola to wrap the opponent
A/Z: Knee
Fthrow: Spins them and smashes them with his baseball bat
Bthrow: Spins them behind him and swings the baseball bat
Uthrow: Unwinds them upwards and does a body rush to launch them into the air
Dthrow: Slams them down and blasts them a few times with the laser pistol

B: Super Psychic Shockwave -- Mike concentrates real hard and fires off a blast of psychic energy that follows just before him, roughly the distance of a PK Fire. It blasts opponents like Pikachu's Thunder, shocking them and sending them off in any direction. The catch is you have to charge it before you can fire it. In the air, the shockwave will be fired and explode in the air while he falls.

Forward B: Pitch -- Mike winds up and pitches a baseball (Wonder Horsehide, in the game) forwards, knocking back opponents like one of Falco's Blaster shots. If he changes the position of the C-stick while winding, he can actually change the velocity and angle of the pitch, effectively creating fades, knuckleballs, slowballs, and whatever else. Smashing, obviously, gives you a fastball.

Up B: Jump Anklet -- A band around one of Mike's ankles appears and glows quickly, as he gets a HUGE boost in the air. He doesn't actually deal damage, but he can't be touched, and it's one of the best third jumps in the game.

Down B: Mirror -- Mike hides behind a reflective mirror. It deflects all energy attacks, like Fox's Reflector, from the front, but also boosts his defense against physical blows. The catch is that he can only crawl very slowly with it out, can't jump, and is very vulnerable from behind (he can turn and switch sides, but the animation takes up precious seconds. faster to break out, quickly spin, and Down B again)

For visual reference, I have also provided FlipTroopa's character moveset sketch sheet via deviantART.
(Although I had to host it in photobucket in order for it to show... I hope FlipTroopa dosen't mind...)

Please feel free to post any comments or ideas that come to mind - Except for "jokes" involving a certain rapper that happens to share the same name...

SiGeL

Smash Cadet
I had to...

I can't be the only one who read that as

I think all of his attacks should be him saying his name.

I had to put it out there before the slew of bad jokes come in.

:( :dizzy: :lick:

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
SiGeL said:

lol, one of de worst rappers alive. only white ppl (very few of them btw) listen to his musik now

anyways, who is this other mike jones. can someone upload a pic?

-Kagato-

The Final Boss
NNID
Kagato_Jurai
3DS FC
0173-1827-3106
SiGeL said:

Nope. I read it as Mike Jones the rapper as well. I immediately labeled this as a joke topic and came into this topic with the intention of flaming people with such magnitude that wrists would soon be cut as a result. However, I realize I was wrong and there is another Mike Jones, apparently from a game of some sort. KAGATO DEMANDS PICTURE REFERENCES!!!

PZX2DN4F

Smash Apprentice
He has a lot of weapons like a yo-yo, a baseball bat, baseballs, shooting stars, laser guns and more. I guess he could use the bananas too, maybe as a taunt.

Tomasiarity

Smash Journeyman
PZX2DN4F said:
He has a lot of weapons like a yo-yo, a baseball bat, baseballs, shooting stars, laser guns and more. I guess he could use the bananas too, maybe as a taunt.
The yoyo and the bat sounds a lot like Ness. But I think they can work that out (I've heard spikes comes from the yoyo when he throws it).
And the banana taunt is perfect! Total humillation for your opponent. Mike Jones (not the rapper) for Brawl!!!

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
PZX2DN4F said:
whoa, wait, i think i played this game for the NES. like your main weapon is a yo yo and start off in this weird ware house. you continue your way through different "worlds" or areas such as a dark cave or a snowly like area. and there's a bunch of creatures and wierd "men with suits with guns"

i didnt get that game but it was fun as hell.

i never beat it >.> i was way to young to understand how to pick up a game and finish it even if it was hard. i should play that again
*looks for rom*

nomis

Smash Journeyman
SiGeL said:
Possible the best general mainstream rapper discriminant known to mankind.

You, sir, win. Unless you actually listen to the music, then I take everything back.

GenG

Smash Lord
I'd love to see Mike Jones, StarTropics may not have the fanbase of Earthbound but still are pretty good Adventure-RPG games, almost the best two action rpgs in NES.

But isn't very likely, since Startropics never got released in Japan, like Punchout. That's why I think that it's unfair that the Japanese gamers can vote their favourite characters (many unreleased in the US), and we cannot. NOA must to put a petition section at the american webpage of smash brawl, that's definitely not fair.

burrito

Smash Lord
Uhhhh.. Punchout was released in Japan. There were even Japanese people requesting it in the poll.

Although, Star Tropics never was released in Japna, so it is very unlikely we will see Mike Jones in Smash Bros.

SiGeL

Smash Cadet
nomis said:
Possible the best general mainstream rapper discriminant known to mankind.

You, sir, win. Unless you actually listen to the music, then I take everything back.
...right.

I listen to rap, not really mainstream stuff, and I have known about Mike Jones years before he became mainstream...Him saying his name, and giving out his phone number is his claim to fame, he's been doing it since he first got on Swisha House.

Mike Jones is a terrible rapper, I agree with foxandfalco. I just don't understand what you were trying to get across in your post?

(My name is after Beanie Sigel, for the record.)

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
burrito said:
burrito, lol, you're an idiot. it was a joke post. mike jone's (the rapper) famous line is "who is mike jones?" the joke was that not alot of people knew who this vg character mike jones was, but 5150 knew, he usually makes sarcastice posts. accept this one could go either way "who is mike jones?"- the line from the rapper or "who is make jones?"- who the hell is this video game character?

get it???

PZX2DN4F said:
Read the whole thread before you post. It's just 2 pages and we've explained who Mike Jones is several times.
it think he's been on this site long enough to know how to post on a thread. he's just acting stupid, that's all :psycho:

asianpride3491

Smash Ace
Mikes Jones! WHO? Worst reapper alive, but best self promoter alive.

What would his attacks be? Still Tipping? Self Promotion? Here's my number buy my album?

PZX2DN4F

Smash Apprentice
asianpride3491 said:
Mikes Jones! WHO? Worst reapper alive, but best self promoter alive.

What would his attacks be? Still Tipping? Self Promotion? Here's my number buy my album?
I'm getting really tired of people talking about Mike Jones the rapper, even if they are joking. Please be serious and stay on topic. THIS THREAD IS ABOUT MIKE JONES FROM STARTROPICS, NOT MIKE JONES THE RAPPER.

DuKe™ said:
cool........but get serious.
Quoted for truth.

To Lord_Deathborne : Please change the name of the thread to "Mike Jones from StarTropics for SSBB" or something similar.

burrito

Smash Lord
foxandfalco said:
burrito, lol, you're an idiot. it was a joke post. mike jone's (the rapper) famous line is "who is mike jones?" the joke was that not alot of people knew who this vg character mike jones was, but 5150 knew, he usually makes sarcastice posts. accept this one could go either way "who is mike jones?"- the line from the rapper or "who is make jones?"- who the hell is this video game character?
Oh right, I thought we got over the "LOL MIEK JONES IS A RAPER" part already.

=TF=Omega

Smash Cadet
Who's Mike Jones?

Just playin. Good rapper. I'm not sure about the character you suggested though. :laugh:

C'mon, don't make me reccomend my own thread now, cause I don't think anyone's ever heard of that Mike Jones.

Hiemie

BRoomer
BRoomer
I didn't know Startropics was a first party game until today, I even checked the cartridge. Wow. Although he's a bit obscure, Nintendo has had that whole Neo-Retro movement going.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
I edited the name of the topic to "Mike Jones from Star Tropics for SSBB".

I hope this ends the confusion over the name. Again this thread is in regard to the main protagonist of the NES series Star Tropics, not the rapper...

Top Bottom